ADVERTISEMENT

Herd running the Air Raid??

Better upgrade the QB position

The dude had two crappy games. He was FIRST TEAM all conference, and conference freshman of the year. And he’s still a freshman.

I mean, you’re not the only one with this attitude. But honestly, what benchmark are we judging our quarterbacks against these days???

What else did he need to do? especially given that he wasn’t even supposed to be the starter and Holliday was too short sighted to even give him a snap 2 years ago.?

My big takeaway from the 2020 season was that everything was so all over the place, it was hard to tell what was really happening.

Seemed like the first half of the year, the teams we were playing were all missing starters due to COVID, and we were at or near full-strength, and we were rolling. Then at the end of the season Marshall players started disappearing, but with Doc you never knew if it was COVID, an injury, or they got caught trafficking felony levels of heroin. We didn't do so hot in those games.

The dude had two crappy games. He was FIRST TEAM all conference, and conference freshman of the year. And he’s still a freshman.

I mean, you’re not the only one with this attitude. But honestly, what benchmark are we judging our quarterbacks against these days???

What else did he need to do? especially given that he wasn’t even supposed to be the starter and Holliday was too short sighted to even give him a snap 2 years ago.?
Late in the year he struggled. He would look at one guy then pull it down. Even the TV guys were talking about the issue.

My big takeaway from the 2020 season was that everything was so all over the place, it was hard to tell what was really happening.

Seemed like the first half of the year, the teams we were playing were all missing starters due to COVID, and we were at or near full-strength, and we were rolling. Then at the end of the season Marshall players started disappearing, but with Doc you never knew if it was COVID, an injury, or they got caught trafficking felony levels of heroin. We didn't do so hot in those games.
Two NFL lineman made that offense run

Reactions: herdalicious
Two NFL lineman made that offense run

Im a former lineman myself so this is coming from someone who is VERY biased towards linemen. But I’m sorry, two offensive linemen are not enough to create the disparities we saw from the first 2/3 of the year and the last. I don’t care how good they are. This isn’t old school football where you can just line up and run behind the same two players all day long. The whole unit has to function.

Last edited:
We will never really know what happened in between the Middle Tennessee game and the Rice game. What happened?

The dude had two crappy games.
Just two?

Which two of the four crappy games below would you like to eliminate?

1) 11-25 44% 163 yards 0 TDs/1 INT
2) 18-35 51% 165 yards 0 TDs/5 INTs
3) 8-23 35% 128 yards
4) 13-20 65% 114 yards (negative rushing yards)

Reactions: johns1124
Just two?

Which two of the four crappy games below would you like to eliminate?

1) 11-25 44% 163 yards 0 TDs/1 INT
2) 18-35 51% 165 yards 0 TDs/5 INTs
3) 8-23 35% 128 yards
4) 13-20 65% 114 yards (negative rushing yards)
It was almost like it was his first year starting or something…..better yet, first year actually taking a live snap because Doc played IG literally every possession even in blow outs. Still one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen.

It was almost like it was his first year starting or something…..better yet, first year actually taking a live snap because Doc played IG literally every possession even in blow outs. Still one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen.
Hey now. He came in and ran the ball one time in 2019. That's getting your feet wet under Doc Holliday.

Grant will have a great 3 years and then leave for the NFL. He is solely focused on football and getting better daily.
I think he will be in the top 10 qb’s in Marshall history and get drafted. Not sure where he goes from there but confident he will get a shot in the NFL.

Im a former lineman myself so this is coming from someone who is VERY biased towards linemen. But I’m sorry, two offensive linemen are not enough to create the disparities we saw from the first 2/3 of the year and the last. I don’t care how good they are. This isn’t old school football where you can just line up and run behind the same two players all day long. The whole unit has to function.
Ok, let’s say it this way. The running game made that offense run
Grant will have a great 3 years and then leave for the NFL. He is solely focused on football and getting better daily.
I think he will be in the top 10 qb’s in Marshall history and get drafted. Not sure where he goes from there but confident he will get a shot in the NFL.
Well he needs to learn how to go though his progressions while standing in the pocket and delivering a football(just looking at one wideout won’t get it). We saw none of that last season with a good run game. So I think before anyone gets out over their skis let’s see improved play.

Reactions: Elkview
Yes, Green is perfect example of why Doc needed to go. Doc plays athletes over football players. Also Green had no leadership skills and Doc felt this was not important. Kids with character matters. Doc could have played Grant in four games. A great opportunity to get him some reps and send Green a message.

Last edited:
Doc didn’t have a good football IQ… he had the IQ of a football.
Yea know, I have thought about this statement and it makes some sense. Doc’s decision making seemed to lack something and football IQ may be the answer. Doc never seemed to be comfortable with some of the decisions(ie playing Grant 4 games as freshman or playing a freshman RB late in the WVU game to have him fumble). Basic stuff. Football IQ!

Last edited:
Reactions: Elkview and herd66
I don't care what offense we employ, as long as we don't run it up the middle on 3rd and 8, five times a game.

Im hoping the reigns are off Cramsey and we are going to see his FCS offense brought to life in FBS. He has to be able to remember some of the playbook that led FCS in total points, passing offense and first downs five years ago.

I don't care what offense we employ, as long as we don't run it up the middle on 3rd and 8, five times a game.

Im hoping the reigns are off Cramsey and we are going to see his FCS offense brought to life in FBS. He has to be able to remember some of the playbook that led FCS in total points, passing offense and first downs five years ago.
the reigns were never on Cramsey

We saw none of that last season with a good run game. So I think before anyone gets out over their skis let’s see improved play.
That's a complete load a bull. He struggled in the last three games for sure just locking on to Henry, but he spread the ball around a lot during the first half of the season. Especially for a 1st time freshman starter that didn't have spring camp because of COVID.

Against EKU Grant completed a pass to 10 different WRS and throwing a TD to 4 different WRS.

Against Appy Grant completed a pass to 6 different WRs.

Against WKU Grant completed a pass to 7 different WRs.

Against LaTech Grant completed a pass to 8 different WRs and a TD to 2 different WRs.

Against FAU Grant completed a pass to 5 different WRs and a TD to 2 different WRs.

Against UMASS Grant completed a pass to 7 different WRs and a TD to 2 different WRs.

Against MTSU Grant completed a pass to 8 different WRs and a TD to 3 different WRs.

In the Losses

Against Rice Grant completed a pass to 6 different WRs.

Against UAB Grant completed a pass to 5 different WRs and a TD to 2 different WRs.

Against Buffalo Grant completed a pass to 5 different WRs.

Did he lock on at times? Of course he did. He's a freshman. He especially started to do it when the wheels started to fall off and he tightened up. In the first six games of the season he was spreading the ball around and hitting the deep ball with regularity. In the final three games he wasn't looking further than 10 yards downfield and was missing wide open guys he had seen all season long. Henry broke free a couple times deep for what would have bee routine 40+ yard TDs all year, but Grant's eyes weren't there. He was too busy running from the rush and trying to dump the balls off.

To say that he never spread the ball around at all last season is a flat out lie. I swear some of you guys expect everyone to look like a polished 5yr senior.

I have never seen a difference in a player as quickly as Wells from early in the year to the final 3 games. With that said, he displayed really amazing physical talent early, and if the team was truly blowing up internally as we have heard, that may be a bit too much for a first year player to handle. I am choosing glass half empty here and fully expect him to play very well against Navy.

We have to remember that up until July of last year, Grant was expecting to battle it out for number 2. Then IG bolts and all of sudden he is the starter. Having no game experience whatsoever and not played in a live game in 1.5 years.
The difference from early to late in the season is mind blowing. I chalk it up to youth, bad play calling and lack of coaching.
I think we will see a very much improved Wells this season mentally and physically.

That's a complete load a bull. He struggled in the last three games for sure just locking on to Henry, but he spread the ball around a lot during the first half of the season. Especially for a 1st time freshman starter that didn't have spring camp because of COVID.

Against EKU Grant completed a pass to 10 different WRS and throwing a TD to 4 different WRS.

Against Appy Grant completed a pass to 6 different WRs.

Against WKU Grant completed a pass to 7 different WRs.

Against LaTech Grant completed a pass to 8 different WRs and a TD to 2 different WRs.

Against FAU Grant completed a pass to 5 different WRs and a TD to 2 different WRs.

Against UMASS Grant completed a pass to 7 different WRs and a TD to 2 different WRs.

Against MTSU Grant completed a pass to 8 different WRs and a TD to 3 different WRs.

In the Losses

Against Rice Grant completed a pass to 6 different WRs.

Against UAB Grant completed a pass to 5 different WRs and a TD to 2 different WRs.

Against Buffalo Grant completed a pass to 5 different WRs.

Did he lock on at times? Of course he did. He's a freshman. He especially started to do it when the wheels started to fall off and he tightened up. In the first six games of the season he was spreading the ball around and hitting the deep ball with regularity. In the final three games he wasn't looking further than 10 yards downfield and was missing wide open guys he had seen all season long. Henry broke free a couple times deep for what would have bee routine 40+ yard TDs all year, but Grant's eyes weren't there. He was too busy running from the rush and trying to dump the balls off.

To say that he never spread the ball around at all last season is a flat out lie. I swear some of you guys expect everyone to look like a polished 5yr senior.
even the TV guys said it late in the season, that when the first guy is not open he struggles. My honest opinion is defense noticed what was happened on film, made adjustments, and Grant struggled from that time forward.

even the TV guys said it late in the season, that when the first guy is not open he struggles. My honest opinion is defense noticed what was happened on film, made adjustments, and Grant struggled from that time forward.
A) that said that late in the season which I conceded at that point it was true.

B) the stats show you're wrong

C) he was a true freshman who had never started a game in college, lost his #1 WR in Thompson, another in Talik Keaton, and had his top two OL out for several games. I wonder why he struggled. Couple that with camps, practices, and games being cancelled throughout the season sometimes going several weeks between games.

All things considered Grant had a really good freshman season and if he and the team can find their early season form he's going to be really good. In the interest of full disclosure I do wonder if he and the team will. Doc left Grant out there to flail in the wind and Cramsey did him not favors in completely abandoning the run game when the offense started to sputter expecting a struggling true freshman to throw them out of a funk. Our struggles started when Madden and Ball went down and both of them are completely gone now as well as our #1 RB in Knox. Mentally Grant started seeing ghosts out there an you could see it. I won't be convinced that he's past that until I see him play. I've seen a lot of good QBs become damaged goods after going through stretches like that. Doc and Cramsey may have broke him. He should have been pulled for a series or two during the Rice game to collect himself. Especially have the unforced self fumble around our 10 yard line.

I have never seen a difference in a player as quickly as Wells from early in the year to the final 3 games. With that said, he displayed really amazing physical talent early, and if the team was truly blowing up internally as we have heard, that may be a bit too much for a first year player to handle. I am choosing glass half empty here and fully expect him to play very well against Navy.
Bad coaching will do that.

I believe the key to our passing game success this season will be (a), finding some wideouts who can get separation from defenders more often than not, (b) getting our tight ends more involved in our passing game, and (c) getting a running back or backs more involved in our passing game. These factors should give Grant MORE options on pass plays and, hopefully, improve his overall passing efficiency and success!

A) that said that late in the season which I conceded at that point it was true.

B) the stats show you're wrong

C) he was a true freshman who had never started a game in college, lost his #1 WR in Thompson, another in Talik Keaton, and had his top two OL out for several games. I wonder why he struggled. Couple that with camps, practices, and games being cancelled throughout the season sometimes going several weeks between games.

All things considered Grant had a really good freshman season and if he and the team can find their early season form he's going to be really good. In the interest of full disclosure I do wonder if he and the team will. Doc left Grant out there to flail in the wind and Cramsey did him not favors in completely abandoning the run game when the offense started to sputter expecting a struggling true freshman to throw them out of a funk. Our struggles started when Madden and Ball went down and both of them are completely gone now as well as our #1 RB in Knox. Mentally Grant started seeing ghosts out there an you could see it. I won't be convinced that he's past that until I see him play. I've seen a lot of good QBs become damaged goods after going through stretches like that. Doc and Cramsey may have broke him. He should have been pulled for a series or two during the Rice game to collect himself. Especially have the unforced self fumble around our 10 yard line.
I agree Doc and Cramsey did him no favors. Also the toxic locker room was not healthy. We will see if he has recovered from that mess late in the season. Let’s hope Huff has cleaned some of this stuff up.

ADVERTISEMENT