ADVERTISEMENT

Herdman, did you do this?

No and that is not funny. Someone is going to be in big trouble because this effected a lot of things business, homes, and other things of vital interest in the area. Someone is going to get rung up bad. Local, state, and the feds are after whoever did it and they are going to go away for a long time when caught. They are going to get the book thrown at them and will have the cell Chelsea Manning used.

No and that is not funny. Someone is going to be in big trouble because this effected a lot of things business, homes, and other things of vital interest in the area. Someone is going to get rung up bad. Local, state, and the feds are after whoever did it and they are going to go away for a long time when caught. They are going to get the book thrown at them and will have the cell Chelsea Manning used.
What's the scuttlebutt down there? Did the asshole just open fire on the transformers? Or did he know exactly where to shoot to put them out of commission?

some asshole shot a transformer several miles from my house a few years ago. we were without power for 4 days, iirc, before they got it replaced. and, it was in the dead cold of winter. 20 degrees and 8" of powder on the ground; had a 5' deep drift blocking me from getting home. my bro-in-law had a tractor with a snowblower on it and made short work of the drift.

i considered putting in a whole home generator after that but didn't. it's difficult to justify cranking out upwards of $10K for a whole home generator when it's only used once every 3 or 4 years. i may install one in my new garage next year when it's built. that way i can back feed power back to the house if needed. i'll likely install one just large enough to run the essentials . . . and outside lights, so i can rub it in the neighbors faces (all 3 of them, 2 of which are inlaws) that i still have power.

some asshole shot a transformer several miles from my house a few years ago. we were without power for 4 days, iirc, before they got it replaced. and, it was in the dead cold of winter. 20 degrees and 8" of powder on the ground; had a 5' deep drift blocking me from getting home. my bro-in-law had a tractor with a snowblower on it and made short work of the drift.

i considered putting in a whole home generator after that but didn't. it's difficult to justify cranking out upwards of $10K for a whole home generator when it's only used once every 3 or 4 years. i may install one in my new garage next year when it's built. that way i can back feed power back to the house if needed. i'll likely install one just large enough to run the essentials . . . and outside lights, so i can rub it in the neighbors faces (all 3 of them, 2 of which are inlaws) that i still have power.
I catch hell from the old lady EACH & EVERY TIME the damn power goes off, even if it's only for a couple hours. Same damn lines about how I shoulda spent $8,000 for the Generac. Then, like clockwork, I be damned if once the power is back on, sure as shit, Generac commercial comes on TV, and the old lady just gives me the damn look.

As for you shoving it in the neighbors faces, just know that they'll end up coming to your house to shower and take a dump (assuming you have a well), so might want to reconsider.

Reactions: ohio herd
Herdman gagged a 3 footer on 18 at the #4 course at Pinehurst. Cost him a fin so he shot it up on the way home.

• Haha
Reactions: i am herdman
What's the scuttlebutt down there? Did the asshole just open fire on the transformers? Or did he know exactly where to shoot to put them out of commission?
Hearing different things. Some say it was because there was a drag queen type show going to happen at the theatre in Southern Pines and there had been some groups coming out against that. But, whoever did it knew what they were doing. Removed a gate an article said, Fired into the transformers at a substation and knocked out power to a lot of people and business.

Put it this way, a local well known military base butts up next to that and they had to go into work late today. Public knowledge and posted to social media.

So how is the FBI going to like that one when whoever did this disrupted the workflow and daily activities of the Immediate Response Force of the UNited States of America. Your ass is going to the pen, for a long ass time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
i considered putting in a whole home generator after that but didn't. it's difficult to justify cranking out upwards of $10K for a whole home generator when it's only used once every 3 or 4 years
Where you live, it would be money well spent. When was that big winter storm when the trees still had leaves on them, like ten years ago? Maybe more. I remember it fvcked up the power grid in that region, big time. Shit tends to happen up that way, to say the least.

This happened in CA years back too. Always wondered which response it is that is being probed, and by whom.

Possible Scenarios:
Was a local drag queen show that had caused a stir. Were they trying to stop that. Possible and sticks out as more obvious.

Some dude(s) thought they would knock out the power just to be dicks. Not likely. When you read into they knew what they were doing and planned it. This was large scale.

Possible terror act of of some kind: possible, maybe a test run. Just google where this took place and see what is around it. COuld have been worse near a more populated area.

but, someone knew what they were doing and knew about electric grids. This wasn't like it knocked out power to a road or a few streets. Took out damn near a whole county and parts of others. It was a substation and they had to get repalcement parts and crews in to fix it. Might take days. They knew how to take it out.

They are going to get caught and the feds are going to ring their ass up and so is NC.

I worked with a couple who had the whole house generator installed. They like it because in the past, when the power went out, they had no water (on a well).
The worst thing about it is the only choice here of fuel to run it is propane. Expensive. My friends say their generator even cuts on about once a day to “test itself.” More expense.
They also had to put in one of those ugly tanks that look like a submarine. Half million dollar house with an ugly white submarine sitting next to it.
I always give them a hard time by asking who is going to be able to come and fill the submarine when the Zombie apocalypse happens.

Possible Scenarios:
Was a local drag queen show that had caused a stir. Were they trying to stop that. Possible and sticks out as more obvious.

Some dude(s) thought they would knock out the power just to be dicks. Not likely. When you read into they knew what they were doing and planned it. This was large scale.

Possible terror act of of some kind: possible, maybe a test run. Just google where this took place and see what is around it. COuld have been worse near a more populated area.

but, someone knew what they were doing and knew about electric grids. This wasn't like it knocked out power to a road or a few streets. Took out damn near a whole county and parts of others. It was a substation and they had to get repalcement parts and crews in to fix it. Might take days. They knew how to take it out.

They are going to get caught and the feds are going to ring their ass up and so is NC.
The other possibility is disgruntled (ex) employee. That can lead people to do some weird shit.

Curious how many similarities there will be to this one from a decade ago..

Reactions: johns1124
You ever play #2? I think I would break a club or two there. Over my knee.
I have played 2, a long time ago. So long ago the green fee was $45 plus caddy fee. I was playing amateur tournaments on a regular basis at that time but thought my 81, sight unseen, was really a big deal to me. Played the back which in those days was about 6,800 or so. That’s a little too much now days. Lol.

I like to go down every now and again and just visit the Clubhuose and eat. Or, got into Pinehurst and visit and eat somewhere. Really a cool place. I have stayed at the resort a couple of times. Nice place. Pinehurst is a really cool town and there and the Southern Pines area are are nice. Lot of money down that way and also becoming a retirment and military community there for sure.

I could probably live there, but the Yankee and California invasion of NC is just a bit too much for me in the long run. So if i move, don't know if I would go there or not. If I move it may be South of the Border or to Montana or Idaho. But, the last two places are too cold. South Carolina is probably the last hold out and last stand.

South Carolina is probably the last hold out and last stand.
Kiawah. Keeps the riffraff out, walk to the beach, tons of golfing for you, and alligators to blame any accidental murders on. Great place for retirement.

Kiawah. Keeps the riffraff out, walk to the beach, tons of golfing for you, and alligators to blame any accidental murders on. Great place for retirement.
Maybe..expensive though and the libs are ruining Charleston.

alligators to blame any accidental murders on.
I worked with a lady who retired about the same time I did. She was always in poor health with declining mental abilities and when I recently ran in to her in a local store, she was using a wheelchair.
We chatted a bit and she told me she was moving south to live with her daughter and wasn’t happy about it.
When I asked why, she told me the daughter lived in a nice section next to a park with landscaped areas and benches where older residents could sit and sun. The problem , she said, was that a number of older people had gone missing while enjoying the park.
I tried to show my concern and asked her if the local authorities had any idea what was causing the disappearances.
“Alligators,” she replied.

Last edited:
that does look pretty damned awesome . . . and no crabbing license required, to boot. could very well be my dream retirement that i'll never see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT