ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Marine and Navy men

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
Guess the Navy has to go to the Army to learn how to shoot. The Navy doesn't even go to the Marines.

A US Army drill sergeant, assigned to the 108th Training Command (IET), provides marksmanship instruction to a US Navy Sailor preparing for mobilization. Part of Task Force Marshall, the instructors alongside civilian contractors provide a three-week, basic combat skills refresher course to more than 4,500 Sailors and 1,100 Soldiers annually at Camp McCrady in Eastover, S.C.

U.S. Army photo by Sgt. 1st Class Brian Hamilton

Hey, you stupid squid this is the target you should be shooting at. Let's see if you can hit it from 10 feet.

This post was edited on 12/30 7:52 PM by i am herdman

I wonder if the two greatest snipers in history learned from the ARMY? Doubt it, a Marine and SEAL lay stake to that claim. Once again, you fail.

Originally posted by Marine03:
I wonder if the two greatest snipers in history learned from the ARMY? Doubt it, a Marine and SEAL lay stake to that claim. Once again, you fail.
LOL, where have you been? I knew this would draw you out. Been kind of boring around here.

They probably did learn from the Army. I know Seals go to Ranger school and the best marks men team is at Ft Benning. They seem to win most of the competitions.

Plus, the Navy guys like to make movies and stuff. Army guys tend to just do their job without fancy uniforms and such.

One of the best things about the Marines is that we are not authorized to wear our camo uniforms off base, if you are going into town you are required to wear your service uniform (the olive drab one).

Im sure the Army has plenty of good snipers, but I think the delta guys train at the Marine sniper school and the Seal sniper school.

Here is a good book about a seal sniper, if you are into that sort of read. The guy is not a real cocky guy and the story ending is probably more realistic than any book I've read on it.

This isn't a book that tells all the dirty secrets of the elite groups. It is just one guys story about his life. It has a lot of good sniper information as well.

Seal Team Six

For the record. I am just stirring the pot so we could have some good arguments.
All the branches have some kick ass good guys. All of them.

You.might be surprised but the air force has some really top notch kick ass troops.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

**** the SEALS, and I mean that in all sincerity. We shot with them at Little Creek when I was with FAST, and we smoked them every time we went to the range. They have a lot of toys, a big budget, and aside from 6, they're overrated. I'd rather work with Rangers or Recon

Originally posted by Marine03:
**** the SEALS, and I mean that in all sincerity. We shot with them at Little Creek when I was with FAST, and we smoked them every time we went to the range. They have a lot of toys, a big budget, and aside from 6, they're overrated. I'd rather work with Rangers or Recon
I understand that, but I was talking about the snipers with the elite teams.

Originally posted by i am herdman:
For the record. I am just stirring the pot so we could have some good arguments.
All the branches have some kick ass good guys. All of them.

You.might be surprised but the air force has some really top notch kick ass troops.
I think there is a reference to some Air Force snipers in the book I referred to you. They talk about training with police snipers and other non-military guys. I thought it was an interesting read.

Most of these elite troops work together and do a lot of the same training or similar training. Each tens to have their own specialty. When. You get to tier 1 type units they cross train a lot.

Most of these elite troops work together and do a lot of the same training or similar training. Each tens to have their own specialty. When. You get to tier 1 type units they cross train a lot.
I like to read about that stuff. I guess it only makes sense since they work together. I am just amazed at the type of dedication and sacrifice it takes to be so good at what they do. Of course the sacrifice of all our military guys is amazing.

Not unusual to see a Seal Team, Army Special Forces team, Army Ranger team, etc. with an embedded Air Force combat controllers, PJ's etc.

When I was with 2/6 we had a sniper in Stay Platoon that was a marksman with the ATF, he was as lethal of a shot I've ever seen, guy was amazing. Opportunity to kill someone is the only real difference between these guys, they're all great shots.

Not unusual to see a Seal Team, Army Special Forces team, Army Ranger team, etc. with an embedded Air Force combat controllers, PJ's etc.
Where do green beret's fit into the mix now in the military. I know that seal teams and the elite teams all have their specialties. I read the book "Horse Soldiers" and it was a good story about green berets in the early days of the Afghan war weeks after 9-11.

Originally posted by dave:

Where do green beret's fit into the mix now in the military. I know that seal teams and the elite teams all have their specialties. I read the book "Horse Soldiers" and it was a good story about green berets in the early days of the Afghan war weeks after 9-11.
Green Berets are Army special forces. Delta(the street name for the group)is the elite of the Green Berets. Unconventional warfare is their specialty.

Green Berets are very highly trained and can do a lot of things. Everything from counter terrorism, counter insurgency, go behind enemy lines to train local forces(they are the best at this), and they can do small team infantry tactics, Very highly trained. Language experts, medical experts, explosive experts, communication experts make up each Alpha team.

IMO, probably the best well rounded troops as they are pretty much good at everything. You have to be an E5 or above to be on a A team. So these guys have already been in other units for awhile. Their tab is above the Ranger tab if that tells you how good these guys are.

Put it this way I am friends with a guy that wears that cap and he was D1 college wrestler, also played college football. Has a degree in English, can speak Arabic well enough, is an explosives expert, and spent several deployments in the sand box knocking on doors. He has been assigned several times to help train seals with infantry tactics. That's what they do.
This post was edited on 12/31 5:08 PM by i am herdman

Marine Recon are very good too for the USMC side of things. Most of all of these guys from these high speed units from each branch are very good at what they do. I hear good things from their counterparts from other branches as to their capabilities. All the military units are good these days. They have to be because it is so thin.
This post was edited on 12/31 5:15 PM by i am herdman

I had a friend in college who went into the Delta's ultimately. He has always been a good guy and pretty quiet about what he did. I started reading books about it a few years ago and I have really enjoyed reading the stories of their training, missions and just their overall dedication to being badass. Not just the Army guys but the seals, marine recon and the AF SF chopper teams and recovery teams. They are simply amazing.

Its crazy that the green berets will drop into an area and blend in for months while operating. I just wasnt sure where they were in the order between regular army, rangers and the elite sf teams.

Largest special ops force in the US arsenal is a MEU(SOC) 2,200 strong.

Special Operations Capable refers to special tasks that the tangible Marine Air-Ground Task Force units are capable in providing to the Fleet Marine Force (FMF), or foreign uniformed services of maritime regions worldwide. These task are similar to the roles that the United States Special Operations Forces are operationally responsible in providing the United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM).

The special operations-type units within the Marine Corps eschewed the idea of being referred or compared to the traditional special operations forces (SOF) of the United States Special Operations Command due to the ad hoc idealism the Marines are traditionally known to carry-being special operations capable is temporary to their protocol.

The Marine Corps's specialized units have always yielded performance and mission plans that distinguish them from the United States Special Operations Forces. One significant detail is that the Marine Corps solely manages their battlespace shaping methods mainly in the aspect of conventional warfare. Most of the SOFs involved in USSOCOM however are more directed in unconventional warfare. Every SOC [special operations capable] unit that existed in the Marine Corps are versatile enough to be capable in conducting special operations under 'unconventional' methods while engaging on a 'conventional' battlefield. While not specifically a Secretary of Defense-designated U.S. Special Operations Force, when directed by the National Command Authority and/or the force commander, the Fleet Marine Force may conduct special operations under circumstances where designated special operations forces are not available.

In February 2006, the Marine Corps made its first commitment to the USSOCOM community in cause of the establishment of the Marine Special Operations Command, or MARSOC. This new commitment allowed MARSOC to form the Marine Special Operation Teams (MSOT), assigned under the Marine Special Operation Battalions, or MSOBs. The MSOTs are the Marine Corps's first SOF unit to be trained and reserved for missions specifically regarding unconventional methods, which consequently disbanded the FMF's Force Reconnaissance companies to make way for the MSOTs' fully committed direct action capabilities. Many force reconnaissance operators were used to form the MSOTs, the rest were folded into the division-level recon units. The Deep Recon Platoons (DRP) were created to maintain the deep reconnaissance capabilities for the Marine Air-Ground Task Force (MAGTF) commanders.

Therefore, the joint-Navy/Marine Corps's Fleet Marine Force is the proponent service for all special operations missions involving maneuverability from the sea. Historians can trace the evolution of the Corps's specialized amphibious warfare since its formation, traditionally being tasked in conducting specialized missions conformed to maritime environments. The U.S. Marines and sailors are already equipped and well-prepared because of their expeditionary capabilities that are well-known to the community.

Originally posted by dave:

Green Berets are Army special forces. Delta(the street name for the group)is the elite of the Green Berets. Unconventional warfare is their specialty.

Green Berets are very highly trained and can do a lot of things. Everything from counter terrorism, counter insurgency, go behind enemy lines to train local forces(they are the best at this), and they can do small team infantry tactics, Very highly trained. Language experts, medical experts, explosive experts, communication experts make up each Alpha team.

IMO, probably the best well rounded troops as they are pretty much good at everything. You have to be an E5 or above to be on a A team. So these guys have already been in other units for awhile. Their tab is above the Ranger tab if that tells you how good these guys are.

Put it this way I am friends with a guy that wears that cap and he was D1 college wrestler, also played college football. Has a degree in English, can speak Arabic well enough, is an explosives expert, and spent several deployments in the sand box knocking on doors. He has been assigned several times to help train seals with infantry tactics. That's what they do.
This post was edited on 12/31 5:08 PM by i am herdman
To add on - Green Berets main mission is Irregular Warfare, not unconventional, although the lines blur easily. Irregular warfare is the act of building an army to overthrow a government or dictator or simply creating a sympathetic/friendly force in a hostile area/country. An ODA (Operational Detachment Alpha, a 12 man team), will live and work in a denied area or semi-permissive area. Denied areas would be something like Iran or N. Korea, someplace we are absolutely not supposed to be. An ODA wouldn't have a trace of America on it. The clothes would be local, weapons and ammo would be Russian or Israeli, local language would be used... The nearest support element would be in the semi-permissive area where they can send food, supplies, whatever, through rat lines to the ODA. Rat lines would be a chain of locals who are sympathetic to our cause or willing to look the other way for some cash. The chain would start with us putting money, guns, meds, in a few giant bags of rice (for example). One guy would load it into a car and drive it to a parking lot somewhere and walk away. Another guy would grab the car and drive it to a farm. The farmer would load the rice onto a couple donkeys and walk them to the ODA. A rat line will cross physical borders in order to get items to the ODA. Rat lines are only limited to your imagination and used because we can't air drop into a denied area.

Inside that denied area the ODA will link up with a guerrilla force (G-force), that opposes the local government or dictator and try to befriend it. Like Herdman says, every member of an ODA has a specially so the medics will offer to treat the G's and their family, the weapons sergeants will give guns to the Gs and teach them SUTs, Small Unit Tactics, and how to set up a protective perimeter, stuff like that. The team leader tries to earn the trust of the G Chief, the leader of the Gs. It takes allot of money, time and effort to create this relationship but eventually the team leader will convince the G chief to let us train his group because we want the same thing he does, only we can make it happen. Long story short a 12 man ODA trains 100 Gs. Those 100 train a thousand...pretty soon you have an army. That's the very basics of IR.

In the recent wars IR got put on the back burner for UW. There was more need for door kickers than anything else. Every ODA has a specialty. One is direct action, meaning door kickers/room clearing. One is HALO, one is mountain warfare, one is scuba, one is mobility which is vehicle heavy. In the two wars all Army SF became direct action, basically hunting high value targets which is mostly CAGs job. ODAs, besides CAG is the only SF that has language requirements. That and their overall mission is what makes Green Berets the most rounded as Herdman stated.

CAG (Delta), isn't Green Berets although their ranks are filled with former GB's. CAG has it's own selection process that is near impossible. A point of pride for some of you is that that selection is done right here in WV. You don't have to be a Ranger or SF to try out for CAG, that's a common misconception. You can be a mechanic as long as you have certain test and language scores. CAG is pure death, the selection process and follow on Operator Course has around a 70% fail rate, each. CAG, also referred to as JSOC, is amazing. It was said once that if a CAG operator wasn't a CAG operator he would be an Astronaut. They are very special types of people and their mission is bad ass. At Bragg they have an underground area that can load up a C130. A team and it's equipment can load underground and the bird can taxi right from there. No satellite will pick it up so there's less chance of a comprised mission. They'll have a Blackhawk rotating is blades on a shooting range so they can practice firing and make notes and corrections about how the rotating winds effect a round shot down range. Their equipment is light years ahead of any other SF group. If a GB has a SATCOM unit the size of half a shoe box, CAG will have one smaller than a cell phone. And it works better, too. They just do, practice and think of ways to make themselves beyond deadly. These are the guys who usually do the missions SEALs get creating for.

MARSOC had a short life. The Marines didn't have a foot in the USASOC door so they created MARSOC as their special forces. Recon, Force Recon, MEU have SF capabilities but aren't considered SF, kinda like Rangers. The weird thing about MARSOC was that it's teams were made up of a combination of Recon/Force Recon Marines and regular infantry Marines. There wasn't a selection process or operator course, they were just thrown together and told they were now SF and fell under USASOC. The Recon and Force Recon guys have a grueling training regimen to be fully implemented into those units, I believe it's a two year process and I know they can't go the jump school before they complete that process. Anyway, MARSOC mixed these guys together and they till did a great job. I think very highly of Marines, not just the elite ones. MARSOC is getting the ax due to the cutbacks. USASOC units maintain a high level of training and readiness so their budget is extremely high compared to conventional units. MARSOC was just too new and not fully equipped yet. It was just a bad time to implement something that large when the military as a whole is taking huge cuts.

I'm pretty hard on SEALs. I've just seen them F up too much. They are some tough guys but their training is crap. I think it stems from being Navy to begin with, meaning they don't know the infantry basics even an Army cook knows. They didn't have that during their basic training. They are great at the UW thing. Their snipers are shit hot, their door kickers are sheer precision, but not every mission or every aspect of a mission is unconventional. That door kicking team needs to drive through a hostile city to get to its objective. If they run into an ambush along that route it's straight up, loud, out in the open conventional fighting from that point on. That's where SEALs get bogged down if they're out on their own. SEALs operate in very small teams so they're not built to react to an ambush, or use any basic infantry techniques to begin with. In training (on foot), they practice a backwards leap frog tactic if they come in contact with an enemy force. One guy will unleash a barrage or bullets and fall back so many meters, the next guy will do the same and fall back. So on and so forth. This gives a show of force to the enemy, making the team look like a larger element than it is, while the team falls back to a rally point and can un-ass the area. This doesn't work too well in a city or with vehicles so SEALs had to learn and adjust their doctrine which was a painfully slow process. I think SEALs mission should have been more recon oriented instead of direct action but every commander in USASOC is fighting for their piece of the cool guy pie so it is what it is.

This post was edited on 1/2 7:29 PM by HerdFan76

Marine FAST CO is a group of special operators no one really knows about. The missions are virtually silent and without a doubt they are the best in the business at what they do. CQB school has a 90% drop rate.

This post was edited on 1/3 11:13 AM by Marine03

Very nice read herdfan76. Thanks.

I thought selection for delta was at camp dawson or nearby. I know the base commander there and he claims he doesnt know what they do there but there are a lot of sf types there. The terrain there sure fits the selection field marches that are described in the books written by former delta guys.

Dawson has a couple different SF units there, plus CAG selection. No, the base commander wouldn't know anything, Selection is run entirely by CAG and former members. The only thing Dawson shares with CAG is a zipcode.

He was not cag. Cag doesn't talk about cag. People in Jsoc don't talk about cag. But he went through mountain training up there and he is a special ops guy and told me it was some of the worst hell he had ever been through.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT