ADVERTISEMENT

Hey, Rife

greengeezer

Platinum Buffalo
Dec 25, 2007
I know we give you a hard time about your homeowner skills, but I’m here to save your reputation. Today when I was browsing in the electrical section of Lowe’s ( I made a major wiring mistake), this thought struck me.

I’m betting that in the high dollar, strong union areas where you have property, you aren’t even allowed to do any repair work on your own residence. Probably required to use an approved contractor or trades person. Right?

I know we give you a hard time about your homeowner skills, but I’m here to save your reputation. Today when I was browsing in the electrical section of Lowe’s ( I made a major wiring mistake), this thought struck me.

I’m betting that in the high dollar, strong union areas where you have property, you aren’t even allowed to do any repair work on your own residence. Probably required to use an approved contractor or trades person. Right?
That’s why @MichiganHerd was gonna change his shower head.

Speaking of rifle. This is how I imagine his pics get taken. Unless he walks around with a tripod (not that kind of tripod you degenerates).

We don't need contractors to be approved (people around here are smart enough to use insured contractors, and many people use the same small group of providers), but we do need approval for any additions, sheds, pools, change in window treatments/doors, painting, etc. Within the last 45 days, one of my two HOAs painted both the outside of my property and then came back last week to chip-and-paint one of my two fences. Each time, they moved all of my outdoor furniture to paint, put their ladders on plants/flowers, then didn't move the furniture back. Usually, I wouldn't care that much, but when you're crippled, it's hard to move a heavy fire pit, heat towers, heavy planters, etc. Yes, I pay for two HOAs . . . and a mello-roo (special tax assessment for some areas) that is tacked onto my property tax annually. And when I closed on this place, I had to pay a four-digit amount just to move in.

What most annoys me is the number of solicitors we get. Nobody knocks on our door, but most of them throw flyers over the fence and/or put door hangers on the outside knob of my fence. It means I have to get off of my ass to pick the shit up or allow it to blow around and become litter. We have six patrol cars for security, but they don't stop the solicitors. They are only concerned with making sure non-residents aren't using the amenities/parks. Every once in a while, a solicitor will come inside of the fence and put something on my main door, but that is rare.

Second in annoyance is the number of insurance companies that are dropping homeowners in California, even though I have never had a claim at at any property. Last year, I was dropped. They are all doing it for wildfire concerns, but their official claim was that they flew a drone over my property and saw a tree/vegetation too close to my structure.

What most annoys me is the number of solicitors we get.
I have an amusing story dealing with a solicitor. Years ago, I was doing some yard work for my dad who lived on the street above me. A fellow came down the street and tried to sell me his product. I politely told him I had no interest and he walked on down the street.

I finished my work and cut through my parents’ back yard that was a shortcut to my house. Once home, I got out some tools to do some yard work on my lawn.

I hadn’t been working long when the same salesman came walking down the road. He stopped and tried again to sell me his wares. When I again politely declined, he hung his head and said, “I didn’t figure you would be interested. I already talked to your twin brother a couple streets over and he didn’t want what I was selling either.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT