ADVERTISEMENT

Holder actually does good, tells cops to stop using fed forfeiture law

****ing awful decision. Most federal agencies rely on state and local officers deputized as task force officers to do the heavy lifting in their investigations. You know what the incentive is for these agencies to allow their officers to be tfos? Forfeiture. This could cripple federal law enforcement. Not only that, many smaller departments rely on federal adoption to function. You are also crippling many local and state agencies. Just another step by this administration to avoid enforcing the laws passed by congress.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If departments are depending on forfeiture to fund themselves they should go broke, and should depend on the community around them raising the taxes necessary to fund them.

Originally posted by ThunderCat98:
****ing awful decision. Most federal agencies rely on state and local officers deputized as task force officers to do the heavy lifting in their investigations. You know what the incentive is for these agencies to allow their officers to be tfos? Forfeiture. This could cripple federal law enforcement. Not only that, many smaller departments rely on federal adoption to function. You are also crippling many local and state agencies. Just another step by this administration to avoid enforcing the laws passed by congress.
You're ok with police being able to seize property without laws being broken as a way to fund their force?

Nope, but I'm ok with departments seizing the property of criMinals. Departments that abuse this tool should be punished/sanctioned and it sounds like better oversight is neeDed in some areas. But to cripple departments that use it properly is not a solution. Typical bureaucratic response - don't go to the root of the problem, punish everyone.

This actually gives more power to the feds. Exactly what holder and Obama want. They will expand the federal force because the local law enforcement will not be doing these investigations. He is actually trying to weaken the local sheriff or police.

I do not trust a damn thing Holder does as Obama's AG. It would honestly shock me if he didn't hold John Mitchell up as his idol.

The ironic thing is that if Obama & Holder weren't calling the shots of the DoJ but the same laws were getting passed, both of these guys would be demanding resignations. Especially Obama.

"Part of the role of the attorney general is to say to the executive branch, 'Here are the limits of your power. Here are the things that you can't do.' I don't think Alberto Gonzalez ever told the president that there was something he could not do" Obama said as a US Senator. "What you get a sense of is, a, uh, an attorney general who saw himself as enabler of the administration as opposed to somebody who was actually, uh, trying to look out for the American peoples' interests. Uh, and for that reason I think it, it's time for him to step down, &, &, for, uh, another attorney general who can exercise some independence, uh, to be put for the remainder of the President's term."

Sorry for the selective "bolding" of words. I was transcribing as I was listening to Obama make those comments & forgot what a verbal train wreck Obama is when he's not on prompter.

You know what the incentive is for these agencies to allow their officers to be tfos? Forfeiture. This could cripple federal law enforcement. Not only that, many smaller departments rely on federal adoption to function.
What ever happened to doing your fvcking job being motivation?

It smaller departments rely on theft to operate, then it is time to disband or raise taxes. I imagine a lot of these pissant towns I read about that abuse this should and will disband their pissant police department.

Hmmmmm - raise taxes on everyone (the dem solution to everything) or take shit from scumbag drug dealers and other criminals? Seems like an easy choice to me.

Hmmmmm - raise taxes on everyone (the dem solution to everything) or take shit from scumbag drug dealers and other criminals? Seems like an easy choice to me.
Often times stuff is taken without someone being convicted, that should scare the shit out of you.

Yes one of the things you have to pay taxes for is so you have a police force. That's society.

The cops can arrest you in a situation where you've done nothing illegal, take your car, the DA drops the charges because he knows he'd never win, and they still keep your car. Why would they do that? Because they make money doing it from stealing your car. Or even money if you happen to be carrying around much. Want it back? Good luck suing the government and proving beyond a reasonable doubt that those objects weren't used in a crime. That's right, the burden of proof is reversed in those cases.

It's a terrible system, and anything that removes the perverse incentive the cops have to frame people and steal their property is a good move.

The GOP solution to everything : cut taxes until government collapses.

Here is the funny thing: no one, NO ONE AT ALL, has an issue with seizing cash and property accumulated from criminal enterprise from actual convicted scumbags. But a bunch of cocksuckers who have zero integrity or intention of actually upholding the law and Constitution and protecting the public decided to get greedy. There are entire small communities whose government exists for the sole purpose of seizing the property of innocent victims, just to fund their police and administrative jobs. You can look this shit up. The States of Ohio and Texas have found it necessary to tell certain towns they can no longer pull over motorists, much less seize their property. That doesn't strike you as odd?

We used to call this "highway robbery", and it was legal to use deadly force to protect oneself from highway robbery. Highway robbers were subjected to the gallows as punishment, and were often hanged by gangs of vigilantes. Perhaps a return to such custom would put an end to this thievery. Or we can just remove the incentive for dirty cops in dirty towns to frame citizens and steal their cash and belongings. Since the law makes it damn near impossible for someone of modest means to have their stolen cash and property, perhaps a law allowing damages times 1000 the value seized to be paid by the officer in cases were no charges are brought would please you, as you seem to think it never happens and the cops are just doing the Lord's honest work.

The Feds can still go after the kingpins. That is what these laws were intended for.

As for hokie's comments, you don't know what you're talking about. I gave a brief, but detailed description of how federal forfeiture works the last time this came up on this board. As for raoul, read my post. I don't disagree that there needs to be better oversight as to how these things work, but putting an end to equitable sharing isn't it. Also, I haven't read the reports of these towns in Texas and Ohio, but I would bet those guys are using state forfeiture law, which has no bearing whatsoever on the topic at hand.

When you argue things like "the property owner has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the property was legally obtained," or "the burden is reversed," it makes the rest of your argument irrelevant b/c those statements are simply wrong.

https://marshall.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2464&tid=207091811&mid=207091811&sid=1082&style=2

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT