ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Recruiting

There are already two names floating around. Dan visited one earlier this week and the other is on campus this weekend. Plenty of discussion over on the premium board.

A new kid just came on the radar last night. He has played 1 year of JUCO but is immediately elogible with 3 years to play..
He is 6-9. He shot 57% from the floor and made 29 of 60 three point shots, 48% for the year. His average playing time was only 9 minutes where he averaged just over 7 points. I have no idea why he didn't play more.

I will say no more on this one until things are a little more certain. Guys, I'm telling you there are lots of good players still available out there.
One big advantage we have is with he style we play.We don't use, with the exception of Iran, big bulky guys in the pivot. We don't post up like most schools. Danny looks for certain things in a player that many schools overlook.
Thanks for the update, @Herdmeister!

Has Bennett lost some weight? Last pic I saw he still looked biiigggg

Is there any particular reason Bennett is struggling to lose weight? Poor diet, genetics, ect.? With the amount of exercise these guys do I can understand the issues of putting on weight (Peneva) but would think losing it wouldn't be too hard.

Maybe a call needs to placed to Jenny Craig or Oprah.

Many on this board are accustomed to seeing 190lb 6’9” players. Bennett isn’t fat. He’s just a big body. Something we haven’t had here in a few years. If you have the opportunity to stand next to him you will see. He’s the missing link we have needed for a few years

Many on this board are accustomed to seeing 190lb 6’9” players. Bennett isn’t fat. He’s just a big body. Something we haven’t had here in a few years. If you have the opportunity to stand next to him you will see. He’s the missing link we have needed for a few years
I love the kid and his ability, but yes, I would say that 6-10 and over 350 is fat. And yes, I stand next to him at every practice. He needs to loose 30-40 pounds. The doctor says he can play at 320. He is on a high protein diet to get him there. They want him to lose 10 pounds a month.

Reactions: Sash19
Unless Bennett can meet the weight they want him to it is hard to see him getting a lot of playing time without periods of rest. No one seems to be able or want to talk about Levi Cook other than he is on campus. Only saw him at one game this year whereas Bennett was at each game. So is Cook going to be part of the team or not? meister only says he is on campus.

So is Cook going to be part of the team or not? meister only says he is on campus.

I know it's frustrating but the honest answer is no one knows how things will work out with Cook. It's only April and we won't play a game for another seven months.

Clearly Cook's future is in doubt but the door has not been slammed shut on him being a part of the team in '18-'19.

Reactions: Herdmeister
I know it's frustrating but the honest answer is no one knows how things will work out with Cook. It's only April and we won't play a game for another seven months.

Clearly Cook's future is in doubt but the door has not been slammed shut on him being a part of the team in '18-'19.

WHY WHY? Is it academics or transfer rules? Please share why Levi is having issues. Surely Danny addressed the problems before inviting Cook to Huntington?

HerdZilla22

WHY WHY? Is it academics or transfer rules? Please share why Levi is having issues. Surely Danny addressed the problems before inviting Cook to Huntington?

HerdZilla22

Fellas, you have to understand that this type of information is considered premium and generally only talked about on Old Fairfield.

I know @Herdmeister and he is a legit source of info, but I also know there’s a reason why he’s limited to what he can make public.

For now, you’ll have to accept the fact that Cook’s situation is in flux and that’s about the best info you’re going to get, unless you speak to Dan directly like some do.

As I said, don't count on Cook. If by chance he is on the team and contributing next season, that's gravy. jmo

I'm sure the staff is not counting on anything and preparing accordingly. Bring in the Juco or Grad Transfer. We need someone like Peneva. Williams is getting their but will need help.

As I said, don't count on Cook. If by chance he is on the team and contributing next season, that's gravy. jmo

I'm sure the staff is not counting on anything and preparing accordingly. Bring in the Juco or Grad Transfer. We need someone like Peneva. Williams is getting their but will need help.
I wasn’t counting on Cook prior to this news. I was hoping he’d get a chance to prove me wrong, but I’ve always viewed him as a more polished version of Mijovic. IMO, he’d just be 5 fouls and a big body for us to use and that’s about it. With some of the players that have been mentioned of us being in on, I’d prefer Cook’s spot to be opened up. But I guess we’ll see what happens as the offseason progresses.

I love the kid and his ability, but yes, I would say that 6-10 and over 350 is fat. And yes, I stand next to him at every practice. He needs to loose 30-40 pounds. The doctor says he can play at 320. He is on a high protein diet to get him there. They want him to lose 10 pounds a month.
I would think he would have been on a diet since getting to school last August.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I would think he would have been on a diet since getting to school last August.
he was on a typical low fat diet which universally does not work for most people. He now is on a high protein high fat low carb diet and has seen good results so far. he has a long way to go to get to a good playing weight for him around 320 but he is 100% committed to getting there before the season starts

he was on a typical low fat diet which universally does not work for most people. He now is on a high protein high fat low carb diet and has seen good results so far. he has a long way to go to get to a good playing weight for him around 320 but he is 100% committed to getting there before the season starts

Sounds like Keto.

Reactions: AllEers6
Doesn't look good if you ask me.
If you watch him in practice you can see he can handle the weight he has now. Believe me, we will never run as much in any game as we do in scrimmages with Danny D'Antoni. The clock never stops and there are no out of bound lines when they go at it. If the ball bounces out of the bleachers you simply play it from there.

Reactions: horsrman
How does that prepare the team to win a game of regulation basketball?
Pace. Teaches nonstop basketball, works on conditioning while playing (saves time), and teaches players to play hard.

What good does it do to stop practice & take the ball out of bounds every time? What does that teach?

Last edited:
Reactions: Herdmeister
How does that prepare the team to win a game of regulation basketball?

I kinda think it reinforces the idea of going hard all the time - as opposed to how to inbound the ball in a meaningless way or "take it at the top" where the defense is set. Refs blow calls all the time and I'd rather our team be the one that has been trained to keep playing.

ADVERTISEMENT