ADVERTISEMENT

How Many Games Will the Basketball Team Win?

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
The Herd is 9-11 (played 20 games). How many of the remaining games will DDs team win?

The Herd is 9-11 (played 20 games). How many of the remaining games will DDs team win?
Don't know how many WE will win, but Sam says less than 10. We're at that threshold. What will be his take when we hit 10? This is such a "less-than-mediocre league" that it shouldn't be long.

@ WKU

@ FIU

@FAU

most likely a 0-3 road trip.

So Miss [should win]

La Tech [??]

@ UTSA

@ UTEP

Season resume indicates The HERD does not win road game with this squad. The Herd won {2} games on the road...Morehead State & MTSU.

Feb 22---March 7 ........TBD

Based on the TBD games (opponents) the rest of the season is ¨iffy¨ if Marshall will make the tournament since the bottom two feeders are not invited to Frisco, TX

HerdZilla22

Reactions: The Real SamC
I'll say 12, as good a guess as I can make. We may be the last team in the tourney, or may not make it. USM is coming on, I had them and ODU out, but not sure now.

Yeah, there are 2 bottle necks right now: 5-2's and 3-4's. There are no easy wins on the schedule from here on out. The 2 FU's are pretty talented and long.

I hope we win at least one more game. Otherwise, there will be unending posts from Sam saying, "I told you so."

This will be the year Danny must decide who to go to war with next year. Also, what style of play works with these players. Hope we make the playoffs even if we don't advance past first game. Good experience for the youngsters. Bennett should be solid player next year, and in better shape. Goran and Marko will be stronger and wiser about college basketball. Taylor may be the key to it all. And the kid from Chapmansville may be the best player on the floor.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I hope we win at least one more game. Otherwise, there will be unending posts from Sam saying, "I told you so."

Nope. I’m not the one that gloats. And I’m certainly not happy that this season is lost. My only purpose in pointing out what this team was, was to discuss MU basketball in a reasonable manner.

If I wanted to hear “we is awesome, we’ens is gonna win that there national champieeeeenship, every player we have will be in the NBA next year, we picked up players that Duke and Kentucky wanted, our coach is one of them there super geniuses...” and other such DELUSIONAL drivel, I would just look at any WVU board.

We USED to be better than that. We USED to be proud of our teams, but firmly rooted in a realistic and adult understanding of what they were and their potential from year to year.

Nothing would please me more than to see MU contend in any sport. Sadly, our basketball team is not up to it. I, and many others, knew that in October. There was no reason to savage us for saying so.

Reactions: johns1124
If I wanted to hear “we is awesome, we’ens is gonna win that there national champieeeeenship, every player we have will be in the NBA next year, we picked up players that Duke and Kentucky wanted, our coach is one of them there super geniuses...” and other such DELUSIONAL drivel, I would just look at any WVU board.

You're implying that folks on here have made posts like that, which is most definitely not the case. I would love to see quotes to back up what you posted, but I know it won't happen.

Also, there's that WVU obsession of yours again. Can you go more than a day without bringing them up?

This will be the year Danny must decide who to go to war with next year. Also, what style of play works with these players. Hope we make the playoffs even if we don't advance past first game. Good experience for the youngsters. Bennett should be solid player next year, and in better shape. Goran and Marko will be stronger and wiser about college basketball. Taylor may be the key to it all. And the kid from Chapmansville may be the best player on the floor.

Despite that, Danny needs to find a couple of legitimate shooters who can consistently knock down 2 point jump shots and treys with better accuracy than our current team percentages of low 30s on all shots and in the 20s on 3 pointers! Find a couple solid jucos; cut loose some of our "deadwood" and help them find a home in the D-2 Mountain East Conference or somewhere similar where they rightly belong!!

Despite that, Danny needs to find a couple of legitimate shooters who can consistently knock down 2 point jump shots and treys with better accuracy than our current team percentages of low 30s on all shots and in the 20s on 3 pointers! Find a couple solid jucos; cut loose some of our "deadwood" and help them find a home in the D-2 Mountain East Conference or somewhere similar where they rightly belong!!
We are shooting 54% from inside the 3 pt line (44th in the country) and are shooting 45% overall (114th). We are an awful 3 pt shooting team (329th), but are fairly efficient overall.

This teams problems are turnovers (329th) 3 pt shooting (329th) and ft % (315th). Get those to average and this team will go places.

You're implying that folks on here have made posts like that, which is most definitely not the case. I would love to see quotes to back up what you posted, but I know it won't happen.

You said the same thing to me and then I replied with the following:

"I'm saying we win National Championship this year. I don't care what anyone else thinks. We are good enough to make a run like Loyola did. They were close and we are better than them......GO HERD!"

http://www.herdfans.com/12thman/herd-fans/jeff-goodmans-preseason-top-25/msg822025/#msg822025

"Marshall didn’t even make his next 25. This guy is a joke. This stuff means absolutely nothing and I don’t care I just like to see people’s reactions lol."

http://www.herdfans.com/12thman/herd-fans/jeff-goodmans-preseason-top-25/msg821853/#msg821853

And you didn't respond then, so I'm sure you will shut-up this time as well!

Reactions: The Real SamC
You said the same thing to me and then I replied with the following:

"I'm saying we win National Championship this year. I don't care what anyone else thinks. We are good enough to make a run like Loyola did. They were close and we are better than them......GO HERD!"

http://www.herdfans.com/12thman/herd-fans/jeff-goodmans-preseason-top-25/msg822025/#msg822025

"Marshall didn’t even make his next 25. This guy is a joke. This stuff means absolutely nothing and I don’t care I just like to see people’s reactions lol."

http://www.herdfans.com/12thman/herd-fans/jeff-goodmans-preseason-top-25/msg821853/#msg821853

And you didn't respond then, so I'm sure you will shut-up this time as well!

Random clearly said "on here." That refers to HerdNation. You're using Herdfans which is a different site.

Now, fulfill his request or apologize to him.

Also, there's that WVU obsession of yours again. Can you go more than a day without bringing them up?

People have pushed the NCAA tournament game win a liytle too much at times. It was a great accomplishment but MU can't keep going back to something that literally happens routinely. Also, and it is absolutely ZERO fault of anyone MU related, that year UMBC's win over UVA overshadowed the entire tournament.

As for the season? Dan's gotta improve. The players on this team have shown they can compete. Its cute they have the ability to dunk over multiple people but if they aren't better coached, their talents are potentially wasted.
MU has remained in plenty of games and it comes down to adjustments made by the head coach. Some are complete blunders, thats fine, MU, like everyone, has a head scratcher game they lose. But we can't afford as many as we've had, and certainly we need a leader to step up, that is something not on the coach at all, thats on the team.

As for goddamn Sam's wvu comments? Its become the norm he says stuff about them. Figured we'd all be used to it by now.

TwolfHerdfan said:

Reading some posts, one really couldn’t tell if we were discussing football or basketball. Many of the same issues. Player development, coaching and choking games.

The problem with Danny is the same thing year in and year out....no defense, chuck treys, and no rebounding.
[/quote]
Such a large problem that we’ve won a conference title and a post-season tournament doing it.

Not to mention, this team plays far better defense than in the past. We do struggle rebounding at times, but we’re also very young.

You people are annoyingly ignorant and, yet, speak your mind as if you have any clue what you’re talking about. Just sit there in your recliner with your microwave meals and enjoy watching something.

In typing this, I am in no way giving up on this year’s team. But looking ahead (a constant theme in regards to the football program), next season should be interesting. No one graduates and the recruit from S Charleston gets here. A lot of potential. Will Dan & staff capitalize on it? Time will tell. I agree with him: We are close. Cut down on turnovers and we will get some wins prior to pod play...

People have pushed the NCAA tournament game win a liytle too much at times. It was a great accomplishment but MU can't keep going back to something that literally happens routinely. Also, and it is absolutely ZERO fault of anyone MU related, that year UMBC's win over UVA overshadowed the entire tournament.

As for the season? Dan's gotta improve. The players on this team have shown they can compete. Its cute they have the ability to dunk over multiple people but if they aren't better coached, their talents are potentially wasted.
MU has remained in plenty of games and it comes down to adjustments made by the head coach. Some are complete blunders, thats fine, MU, like everyone, has a head scratcher game they lose. But we can't afford as many as we've had, and certainly we need a leader to step up, that is something not on the coach at all, thats on the team.

As for goddamn Sam's wvu comments? Its become the norm he says stuff about them. Figured we'd all be used to it by now.
Why it’s what fans have been doing in football since Bleft graduated

In typing this, I am in no way giving up on this year’s team. But looking ahead (a constant theme in regards to the football program), next season should be interesting. No one graduates and the recruit from S Charleston gets here. A lot of potential. Will Dan & staff capitalize on it? Time will tell. I agree with him: We are close. Cut down on turnovers and we will get some wins prior to pod play...

Pod play won't do us any good if MU can't even beat some of the teams in this conference regularly.

The problem with Danny is the same thing year in and year out....no defense, chuck treys, and no rebounding.
Such a large problem that we’ve won a conference title and a post-season tournament doing it.

Not to mention, this team plays far better defense than in the past. We do struggle rebounding at times, but we’re also very young.

You people are annoyingly ignorant and, yet, speak your mind as if you have any clue what you’re talking about. Just sit there in your recliner with your microwave meals and enjoy watching something.[/QUOTE]

Herd4life I didn't write that. I believe our defense is better. We have some talent and getting the kid from chapmanville will give us two really good players. 3 counting west

D-2 Mountain East Conference or somewhere similar where they rightly belong!!

Ding! Winner. But you have to understand who DD is and where he came from. In DD’s time, the coalfields were still doing well, and every little town had a HS, and basketball was king. DD did the smart thing. He got his teacher’s degree and GTFO of WV. Smart. But the world moved on. DD perception of it did not. The coalfields are dying. The entire state might produce a handful of legit DI players per generation today. Of which bigger programs are going to get the cream. Going to the state tournament and getting the best 4 or 5 kids is a formula for winning. If you are Joe Retton and it is 1970 and you coach at Fairmont State.

This “Hillbilly Ball” and “304 Boys” and such is pure nonsense.

People have pushed the NCAA tournament game win a little too much at times.

Ya think?

If I had the time, I would love to look back over the last, say, 10 or 15 years. I’m certain that nearly half of the division has made the tournament once.

Reading some posts, one really couldn’t tell if we were discussing football or basketball. Many of the same issues. Player development, coaching and choking games.

That is easy. If people say “we are young” and “we are close” and “stay the course” and “one time, we made the tournament”, and think beating Florida directional or Texas-branch campus is significant, its basketball. If people don’t call the coach by his chosen name, demand he be fired at mid season, and, ACTUALLY BELIEVE, that it is beneath MU to play our conference mates, its football.

You people are annoyingly ignorant and, yet, speak your mind as if you have any clue what you’re talking about. Just sit there in your recliner with your microwave meals and enjoy watching something.

Ignorance is expecting something to achieve things beyond its ability. This team is not any good. In a few years, it will be older, and not any good. The key problem is fundament lack of talent. Anyone who does not see that, is the one who is ignorant.

Reactions: sistersville
We are shooting 54% from inside the 3 pt line (44th in the country) and are shooting 45% overall (114th). We are an awful 3 pt shooting team (329th), but are fairly efficient overall.

This teams problems are turnovers (329th) 3 pt shooting (329th) and ft % (315th). Get those to average and this team will go places.

That shooting % inside the arc looks impressive until you look at some of our recent losses by close margins. Don't know how many times in said game Steve Cotton on radio play by play has stated that MU has missed wide open in close shots, layups, etc. How many times where Goran has missed in close and then Cotton notes Danny telling him to dunk the ball, which is something that the staff is emphasizing to him at practices. Being 7 feet tall, and with a normal wing span for someone that size, Goran should easily be able to stand flat footed and with arms raised overhead reach 9 feet in height. Meaning with the ability to jump only 12 inches or so, a dunk is not that daunting, IMO. Our best penetrator, aside from West, perhaps, is Kinsey and how many times has he made a good move to the bucket, elevated and then missed the 8 to 12 foot shot?

Don't disagree about the turnovers, but a little better shooting on many two point shots rather close in would have turned some Ls into Ws.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
Why would you think only one win in pod play.

If we only beat USM we will be in the bottom playing some bad b-ball teams. To think we would only win one of them is such a weird mentality that Marshall fans all do now a days.

It’s like people get bored, time to to rip on my team online.

ADVERTISEMENT