ADVERTISEMENT

How the hell did Marshall football fall apart so quickly, and when will it bounce back?

"projected" offense ranking of 115 makes me vomit more than the "projected" 5 wins

hopefully we go back to 2012-13 and throw the ball 1,000 times a game and put up a ton of points. i'd rather go down swinging than running bubble screens and dives.

"projected" offense ranking of 115 makes me vomit more than the "projected" 5 wins

We better not be ranked 115th in offense next year.

New Co-OC, new RBs and new WRs should help give our offense a complete reset.

I know, I know: I left QB off that list. To me that's the biggest question to answer. I literally have no idea who will start for us next year.

I read their prediction as us playing USM at home at the end of the year for bowl eligibility. I'll take that.

How sad is that, struggling for bowl eligibility in the worst league in D1 football.

CUSA should actually be pretty good next year. A ton of returning and experienced talent around the league next year.

I just hope we don't continue to be out coached like we was last year. The talent is there and they will be older and stronger.

But I'll say this. Anything less than

8 wins
At least 6-2 in conference and a chance at the East title
Bowl Win
Offense ranked Top 40
Defense ranked Top 40
Beat WKU
Beat MTSU

this staff need to go. I think that's fair based of last year.

"Projected" five wins! Hard to get "excited" but would still be better than 2016. Hopefully Doc and company can get it back together this Spring and carry on to pre-season in August and field a competitive team.

I understand that our 2 Coordinators, Heater and Legg, have two year deals. Does anyone know if Legg's second year is up at the end of 2017 season? Another year of TOTAL OFFENSIVE INEPTITUDE by the Herd this fall and, IMO, there is no way in you-know-where that either Hamrick or Doc can justify keeping Legg. To do so would probably usher in a massive withdrawal of fan support, which may be on the verge of starting already!!

I think if Doc can fix the internal issues we could bounce back next year. If the QB play improves and we get some cohesiveness on the OL we could put up some points. I feel the defense will be fine. Hey but what do I know.... I thought we would win at least 9 games last year. Boy was I wrong!!!

Ohio posted "If Doc can fix the internal issues . . ."! The better question is why in the world has he not fixed it by now? The entire Herd Nation can see the problem BUT friendship is killing our offense. JMO

Reactions: herdfan1999
Ohio posted "If Doc can fix the internal issues . . ."! The better question is why in the world has he not fixed it by now? The entire Herd Nation can see the problem BUT friendship is killing our offense. JMO
how do you know he hasn't fixed them? I'm not saying he has. I have know way of knowing. I think Doc understands what is at stake by retaining Bill as co OC. It is hard to imagine his loyalty runs that deep. Both of them understand there is a business side of coaching. Surely Doc believes Bill is the right guy. Once again I am not saying he is just saying I don't think he would still be here if Doc wasn't settled in his mind this was the right thing to do.

Ohio I disagree with you totally on that point. I feel that it's Legg's loyalty to Doc that has kept - in all probability, the single worst OC in CUSA on the staff. For that reason alone I think it is safe to say that every Defensive Coordinator on our schedule is looking at Marshall as a "W" on their schedules. Moreover I don't think the idea of co-coordinators will work either. That should show you the friendship relation between Doc and Legg. Yes I admit I could be completely and totally wrong and I hope I am. We will know come the first game!

Decent article, still not what we expect in terms of wins.

If we don't go bowling with THIS sked I think Hamrick will be forced to make a hard decision on Holliday et al. Still I'm predicting 9 wins and that includes a Marshall bowl win.

The greatest factor I saw last year was lack of leadership, team discipline and that translated into lack of effort. Really I've never seen a Marshall team just QUIT, like last year's team did. If Doc doesn't remedy internal issues this spring he's not going to win come fall.

I hope we find a QB that is a leader this spring. It's going to be the most interesting spring we've had in a while.

Decent article, still not what we expect in terms of wins.

If we don't go bowling with THIS sked I think Hamrick will be forced to make a hard decision on Holliday et al. Still I'm predicting 9 wins and that includes a Marshall bowl win.

The greatest factor I saw last year was lack of leadership, team discipline and that translated into lack of effort. Really I've never seen a Marshall team just QUIT, like last year's team did. If Doc doesn't remedy internal issues this spring he's not going to win come fall.

I hope we find a QB that is a leader this spring. It's going to be the most interesting spring we've had in a while.

I hope you're right, but I don't see that many wins. I see us eeking out just enough wins to go to a bowl game and maybe win it. Doc and Legg both stay.

The alternative is, we don't go to a bowl and Hamrick still doesn't do anything with Doc.

Either way, both options kind of suck

Too many unknowns to really know whats going to happen. As usual, per year, we have talent being infused that might or might not raise the level of play. We have young players that might or might not mature and get better. We have some coaching changes that might or might not improve game management and player development. With that many unknowns, it could turn out to be much better than we expect or it could turn out to be like last year. The safe card is saying 6 wins and bowl eligibility, the risky bet is 9 or 10 wins. Can a team rebound like we did from 2012 to 2013, I just don't know if we are stacked enough to make that kind of improvement. I hope so, I really want to believe.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Greenhouse - 9 WINS? Wow. No one has made that prediction. Boy I hope you are correct in your assumption.

If the team sees an uptick in effort and leadership I see btwn 7 and 10 wins. If the leadership goes the way of last year I see 2 - 4 wins. Our guys have the talent to compete in this league, just have no clue how that talent will translate into on field performance. It will take leadership by players to be successful next year. After spring football should have a better idea of which side of the scale the team moves to.

Reactions: JudgeDD
If the team sees an uptick in effort and leadership I see btwn 7 and 10 wins. If the leadership goes the way of last year I see 2 - 4 wins. Our guys have the talent to compete in this league, just have no clue how that talent will translate into on field performance. It will take leadership by players to be successful next year. After spring football should have a better idea of which side of the scale the team moves to.

Everything seemed fine until we got punched in the mouth. I need to see how this team(Players and Coaches) handle adversity and who makes the play calls before I make any predictions on the season.

Everything seemed fine until we got punched in the mouth. I need to see how this team(Players and Coaches) handle adversity and who makes the play calls before I make any predictions on the season.

They should have handled it last year and moved on. Instead they cowered in a corner like a little lost kitten.

Greenhouse - 9 WINS? Wow. No one has made that prediction. Boy I hope you are correct in your assumption.

that's the thing about playing in one of the worst conferences in the country. a handful of extremely good recruits and/or transfers can swing a team from one season to the next.

look at UCF as an example. even when CUSA was MUCH better than it is today they were able to go from 0-11 to 8-5 with some solid recruits and transfers. USM did the same thing going 3-9 and then 9-5. there is absolutely no reason why we can't beat every single team in this conference (other than WKU) without it being some kind of shock.

Andy you might want to do an opinion poll amongst the other CUSA members. I'm sure they will say Marshall is a "W" on their schedule. I don't see the improvement coming this season others do. I hope they improve but only time will tell.

The greatest accomplishment is NOT that we NEVER fail, the greatest accomplishment is to return to overcoming AFTER we fail, because in the long run we ALL fail at some poInt in time.

My .02 before we bury this 2017 Marshall Football team as good as dead, let's see what happens first 3 games. I've never seen a season like last year, something tells me it was a clear fluke. I believe in this team and I believe in Holliday to right this ship.

I'll stand behind my previous prediction, 9 wins in 2017 and Ryan Bee is selected first team all CUSA.

OUT!
TGE.

Reactions: jbherd and Cherobee
Let's see how we get through the first 4 games before I pass judgement. Right now I'm just even keel regarding the team. No practice reports will change my opinion

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT