ADVERTISEMENT

Huge NCAA Decision on Transfers

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010

NCAA to allow transfers to play college football, basketball without sitting out a season, reports say​

5:15 PM ET
  • Associated Press
Starting next season, major college football and basketball players will be permitted to transfer one time before graduating without being required to sit out a year of competition.
The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to change the long-standing rule that has often deterred players in high-profile sports from switching schools, two people with knowledge of the council's decision told The Associated Press.
The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the two-day meeting was still in session and the council's decisions would not become official until it ends Thursday. The Athletic first reported the council's vote.
The so-called one-time exception has been available to athletes in other NCAA sports for years, allowing them to transfer and play immediately. Athletes in football, men's and women's basketball, men's ice hockey and baseball have not had that available to them without asking the NCAA for a special waiver and claiming that a hardship caused the need for a transfer.

Athletes who have graduated have also been permitted to transfer without sitting out, no matter the sport, but not undergraduates.​

Starting this fall semester, all athletes will be operating under the same rules: Transfers will be allowed to play right away.
Those in fall and winter sports must notify their schools by May 1 that they intend to transfer; in spring sports, the notification date will be July 1. The notification dates begin in 2022.
For this year, athletes in all sports will be required to notify their schools about their intent to transfer by July 1.
The council also voted to let the current dead period in recruiting in all sports expire June 1. A ban on in-person recruiting has been in place for more than a year because of the pandemic. Coaches will again be permitted to visit recruits off campus, hold camps on campus and welcome prospective student-athletes on official recruiting visits.

Copyright: © ESPN Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.

College sports are pretty much ruined now. Players have no allegiance to the programs or the schools. They just bounce around until they find the right fit.
I just recently told my cable company to drop all my sports packages. I’ve lost interest. Going back to reading books and watching movies.

If I am an athlete and have the skills that the pro scouts look for, I want to play for a team that gets constant exposure and better competition. A player that has spent lets say three or four years at a school that has given him the chance to improve his skills and leaves for a chance to further improve should by all means do so and thank the coaches for giving him that guidance. Fans do not like to see good players leave but the player has to think of his future. It’s a period in life that could determine his future after college.

The concern is we become a minor league feeder system for the larger schools. There was also a mention I saw about G5's essentially becoming sign and place for larger schools as well. This is indeed frustrating and could be the demise of all G5 programs.

As the ads they run during the minor championships say, 98% of college athletes turn pro in something other than sports.

Thus, this is really not about the once in a decade elite at 20 but looked only pretty good at 17 athlete trying to make the NFL or NBA by moving up from one level to another. It is about letting those on the high level poach players from lower levels.

It is a bad decision, as is the "NIL" pay the players idiocy. The NCAA is destroying a system that has worked for both athletes and institutions for over a century.

Y'all are hilarious.

This is not the end of mid major basketball and G5 football. Just like it wasn't the end of mid major basketball and G5 football when the grad transfer rule was implemented (LIKE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU PREDICTED).

Will there be more roster attrition than there has been in the past? Almost certainly. But so what? Marshall will benefit with players coming in just as much as it will be hurt with players leaving.

Making kids sit out a year was a ridiculous and archaic rule. It needed to be changed.

Hell, I went into the transfer portal back in 1976. Transferred from Gauley Bridge to Fayetteville.

It was cool then, and it's going to be cool now.

This should hopefully send kids packing from the crowded big schools and down to us. Yall are just doing the traditional WV thing which is to be pessimistic all the time.

Y'all are hilarious.

This is not the end of mid major basketball and G5 football. Just like it wasn't the end of mid major basketball and G5 football when the grad transfer rule was implemented (LIKE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU PREDICTED).

Will there be more roster attrition than there has been in the past? Almost certainly. But so what? Marshall will benefit with players coming in just as much as it will be hurt with players leaving.

Making kids sit out a year was a ridiculous and archaic rule. It needed to be changed.
I dont think its the "end" of G5 basketball or football but I do think it is going to do two things:
1) Dramatically effect the ability of a G5 school to compete on a national level because they can't maintain a consistent program
2) Inability to build a fanbase. Young fans, which you have to have, are going to recognize real quick that G5 schools just cant compete with the P5. I would argue we are seeing this already actually.

G5s haven't been able to compete with the P5 in like, forever.

If anything, I believe this may ultimately help the G5 programs. You may see the rich getting richer, but then again, I think more of what you'll see is kids riding the pine for big time P5 programs moving to teams where they stand a better chance of playing. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see a program like Marshall getting hurt in all of this. I actually think they may benefit. Really, it's not a whole lot different, other than each player gets to transfer once, without penalty of sitting out. The big programs are already snatching away the better players from lower level conferences, via the grad transfer rule. They'll simply do so sooner.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Geezer, think you did the quote thing wrong, but assuming you mean you had an aunt that lived on the hill. I too lived on the hill, School House Hill. Probably know your family, as I pretty much knew everybody.

As for the town, the pillbillies took it over, and now it's gone to hell. Place could be a gold mine and a tourist town if somebody knew what they were doing. Could be similar to Fayetteville if they took advantage of it.

Yeah, got a new phone and have a bit of trouble with quotes. My family was originally from Nicholas County, but I think they ran them all out so they moved to Gauley Bridge. Nice little town when I visited growing up.

Last edited:
I think anyone saying this will be good for Marshall is kidding themselves. The players who leave will be P5/NFL talents, and the players who come in will be Good-for-G5/Future Huntington-area car salesmen.

I'm not going to say this is the apocalypse because I think we've long since passed those trumpets blowing. People have been clamoring for Marshall to get back to where it was in late 1990's, while the last two decades the circumstances of college football have constantly evolved to make it harder and harder for a team in Marshall's position to do that. This is just another click on the tracks.

And I get tired of hearing about how this is what the kids deserve, because the system exploits them, etc. etc. You know who gets exploited? The rest of the student body, who (based upon the empties in the student section) couldn't give a shhh less about any of this stuff, paying athletics fees every semester to buy these guys meals and textbooks just so they can play free agent the moment another school comes calling with better meals and thicker textbooks.

All the while complaining they aren't being properly compensated for playing ball games while everybody else is burying themselves in debt getting STEM degrees so the world can keep running in the future.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, both extreme stances on this issue are incorrect... Will it "help" MU athletics in the long term? No. Will it "hurt" MU athletics in the long term? No.

I think most of you are overvaluing the talent we produce in the two major sports and the market for poaching MU players by P5 teams... We aren't exactly putting out elite NFL/NBA caliber talent on a regular basis.

Also, lets say a kid becomes a "star" football player as a freshman or sophomore (very rare) at MU. What would be his incentive to leave MU, if the team is good, and go to say a Kansas, Rutgers, Purdue, etc to a bad program where he will no longer be a "star"?... Unless its a top 25 program that comes calling, the incentive to transfer isn't great, especially if we are a top-25-ish program ourselves. Bama, UGA, LSU and the likes aren't patrolling the IPF at Marshall looking for guys they can potentially steal for next year.

There may be more of an impact in basketball, where say a kid like Kinsey that is an NBA-level talent wants to take his game to a top-25 team to showcase what he can do ahead of the draft... But again, guys like that at MU (stars as underclassmen) are rare. Whiteside and Kinsey in the past 20 years... And if they are really an NBA ready talent, they can leave for the draft after one year anyway and skip the transferring to a traditional power year.

Look up a list of the full NFL draft, any year. Or look up any NFL roster.

What do you see. A lot of players from P5 field fillers, G5, I-AA and even Div II.

Why? Simple. NFL front offices and coaches are WAY better at evaluating talent at 22 or 23 than college staffs and coaches are at 16 or 17. Far easier job.

They just relieved the big time coaches of that disadvantage. Kid doesn't work out? Run him off. Kid over at little brother looks a lot better than he did in HS? Poach him.

Now is Alabama or its ilk going to be trolling places like Huntington? Nah. But they will be looking at places like Lexington, Columbia, Austin, or West Lafayette. And then those programs poach, and then the poachees become the poachers, and on down the line.

To Huntington.

Seinfeld had a line about baseball. How free agency causes us to root not for players, but for laundry. It applies here.

This is, of course, the doing of the source of so much of what is wrong with sports today. ESPN. Eventually it will get what it wants. Which is a 20 to 30 team AAA NFL. And the rest won't matter at all.

I think this is the right thing to do for the kids.

I do agree with @Pioneer_PA and worry it may turn fans off, though. Losing kids early that we get attached to is tough. On the other hand; the prospect of immediately eligible transfers coming in to the program is intriguing.
I think there needs to be a stipulation that it must occur prior to their junior season. That way star G5 players aren't lured away. I have long been in favor of an early mulligan. Sometimes these kids find out they don't want to live where there first choice is at for 4-5 years or it was just a bad fit.

What this is going to do is turn the G5 and the FCS into minor league proving grounds for bigger schools. Though I guess if a P5 plucks our guys we could pluck the best FCS players that proved they are FBS caliber.

Still. I think this will be a net loss for the G5 and lower schools. Sure it means we can take P5 players faster too, but 9 times out of 10 it's not going to be an even tradeoff.

For those of you that said this won't hurt G5 schools. I think that sitting out a year is somewhat of deterrent to players. Now think if Cato has left after his junior season. What if Grant blows up again this year and next year and then transfers out. That would be a pretty big blow.

As to the caliber player we'll get in return. It will be those P5 players that are chasing PT. Those kids hardly if ever turn out to be any good. Most of the transfers that we've had luck with are the ones that are here because disciplinary reasons forced them out of their previous schools.

Yeah, anyone who thinks this won't hurt our program is on crack. And I'm talking the cheap, back alley type.

Had this been permitted during the '90s, we would most likely have never had the program most of us enjoyed during that era.

Seems to me the same fans down playing this new rule are the same ones that bemoan the idea of frequent head coaching turnover and it's effect on consistency for a program. The same can be said for establishing chemistry of a team between it's players. Time and money goes into recruiting and coaching kids to be a part of program, to be a part of a tradition/culture for (at least) 4 years. It's a big investment and sacrifice for programs like Marshall to make. IMO, it's a shitty NCAA decision.

Time and money goes into recruiting and coaching kids to be a part of program, to be a part of a tradition/culture for (at least) 4 years. It's a big investment and sacrifice for programs like Marshall to make. IMO, it's a shitty NCAA decision.
That’s where I have a problem with it. I’m fine with a kid wanting to leave for a better opportunity, but I think there should be some type of payment from the school he goes to. If UK wants one of our guys, there needs to be payment for the time & efforts used on the asset changing hands.

ADVERTISEMENT