ADVERTISEMENT

I Know it's Early But . . .

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Are we seeing anything different yet from Chase Litton OR does the offensive coordinator still having him in the shotgun repeatedly clapping his hands prior to the snap? Taking any snaps from under center? Just curious if we can expect anything different.

The few video clips I have seen have all been shotgun but I don't know if any college team that runs their offense under center any more.

I will reserve judgement until post game Sept 2.

does anyone expect anything different from bill legg's one page playbook........ bill legg is a guy who truly believes in his design and if u run it right it has to work, but never counts for a very weak Oline, sluggish wide receivers, and a QB that isn't very mobile... he can not change his design therefore we will continue to be a very readable offense and struggle to gain yards ... warm up the punter a lot of 3 and outs this year.................

From what I have seen, it still it Clap, snap, step, throw to the first read offense.

Good grief Fever if you are right (even if Todd Goebbel supposedly has the offense) sounds like he is listening to Legg. Isn't Litton tall enough to see over the line for second and third receivers?

Goebbal is the Co-OC in title.

Legg should have stepped down at the end of the season. I truly hate our offense.

Reactions: cottrell75
I'm headed down to watch practice so I'll provide some updates if I see anything worth noting.

Last year about this time I went to watch a practice and came away thinking we looked really good, then went 3-9? So, let's just say I'm "guardedly optimistic".

Practice began with positional drills then a group scrimmage 1s vs 1's, 2's vs 2's and so on, then they went back to positional drills and rotated back and forth at least 4 times.

Observations: kickers: vedkik (sic) has a much stronger leg than cole Phillips. Cole is a pretty thick kicker and bigger than I thought he'd be. He is accurate from inside 40 yards, but the other guy (our punter) just booms it. I'd give the edge to Vedvik (sic). Shane McDonough will never see the field as I can punt better than him and that ain't saying much.

QB: Litton looked solid and made sharp passes. The surprise to me was Green. In my opinion he will be red shirted but has made a case for 2nd string. The kid has good size, very poised and has a nice arm. While I'd love to see Gaines be the guy due to his athleticism I just don't think he's a QB. To me, Green looks better than Gaines and has the "it" factor. Jackson White will never see the field.

WR: we have upgraded big time with Brady, Willie Johnson and Williams. I don't agree that Matthews should be starting over Gator Green (had a great day), Owens or Foster.

RB: Tyler King's first touch was a sweep left with no where to go so he cut back and went the distance. He and Trey R are home run threats that hit the hole much faster than Davis or Pittman. Anderson looks in great shape but wore a non contact jersey. Why Davis is getting 1st team reps is beyond me?? He looks much smaller than last year, but the speed looked the same.

OL: really hard to tell. Looked OK. #57 (Wale?) is massive and reminded me of a poor mans Buck Manning (not as tall).

DL: Jason Smith played better than usual. Harris always looks the part but I never see him actually make a play. Not convinced it's smart to move Bee inside. Too tall. He would be unreal this year at DE and I think he's wasted inside.

LB: major upgrade. Young, Artis and Moody are impressive. Yulee running with the 3rd team, for now. Yulee has a great knack of squirting into the backfield but I saw him whiff the RB three times. However, this was not a full contact scrimmage so some of that may be him holding back. He and Pittman got into it but made up quickly. Cobb has put on a few much needed pounds and looks much better.

DB: nothing stood out to me. Looked pretty good.Drayton is one to watch for next year. Sapp is kind of a head case but I'll tip my hat to his energy.

Scheme: I did see some wide receivers go in motion and get tossed the ball on a sweep a few times.

Depth: might be the deepest team we've had in a while. Not saying we have any future NFL draft picks but there isn't much of a drop off from the 1's and 2's for the most part. Other than Litton and Brady if we have some injuries I think we will be ok. Music played the entire practice and the weather was mid 70's. very comfortable and I saw about 10-15 people in attendance. Overall, I think we are a better team than last year. Will we go to a bowl? Boy, I just don't know.......

After a 3-9 season, I want to see more head cases (on the field) and guys playing with emotion. You can stop the time from ticking folks, the RedHawks are coming!

After a 3-9 season, I want to see more head cases (on the field) and guys playing with emotion. You can stop the time from ticking folks, the RedHawks are coming!

Given the amount of insane paranoia that exists at times, nobody better complain about our lack of competition this season...considering Miami OH is getting more worry than everyone else.

All4TheHerd posted "nobody better complain about our lack of competition this season...considering Miami OH is getting more worry than everyone else." Uh it's the home opener and some odds makers favor them over us. Also, we know what happens to the crowd should we lose the home opener. And its a MAC team. Hopefully Doc and company are devoting their full attention towards that game.

All4TheHerd posted "nobody better complain about our lack of competition this season...considering Miami OH is getting more worry than everyone else." Uh it's the home opener and some odds makers favor them over us. Also, we know what happens to the crowd should we lose the home opener. And its a MAC team. Hopefully Doc and company are devoting their full attention towards that game.

I believe they are. But with people absolutely losing it over a game that hasn't been played against a team we are capable of beating...just makes me think they believe this coaching staff hasn't or won't change. I think they will and it has become evident that Chase Litton has changed as has (hopefully) the players.

I think MU will treat Miami as they would treat NC State or any P5 school.
Trust me, the coaches all know if they don't win, they're all out.

Didn't win last year..., there still here... besides I'll keep doc and toss legg... gonna be a slow no offense season..!

He All4TheHerd in case you don't know Litton hasn't taken the first snap (or in his case the first clap) against an opponent so how in the world has he changed? Let us refrain from saying that until the Miami (OH) game and let us all hope he doesn't take a hit like he did in the Akron game last year.

3 years. Not many coaches could turn that trainwreck around in less than 4-5 years. Martin is a great coach. Id be surprised if they dont challenge in the MAC this year.

Miami won 6 of 7 to end the year and returns 16 starters.

None of that justifies your comment though. I'm not disputing that Miami (OH) is improving, but to say their coaching staff is better than ours is simply wrong based on recent history.

Martin's overall record as a head coach is 85-33, with 5 conference titles and 2 D-II national championships.

While a majority of those wins came at the D-II level, as you acknowledge, Miami is on an uptick.

Doc Holiday is 53-37, with 1 - that's right - 1 conference title. He has, however, won 4 bowl games.

I stand by my assessment.

Reactions: HerdFan73
None of that justifies your comment though. I'm not disputing that Miami (OH) is improving, but to say their coaching staff is better than ours is simply wrong based on recent history.

The proof will be in the pudding come Sept. 2nd. Let's hope the good guys win!

We should have hired Martin when Doc was brought on, imho.

So we should've hired a guy that only had one season (Eastern Michigan LB coach) of experience at the FBS level over a guy whose entire career has been at the FBS level (national championship included)?

Id hire a proven winner with head coaching experience over a 55+ year old career assistant any day, but thats just me.

Reactions: thunderscope
We should have hired Martin when Doc was brought on, imho.

When was Martin a candidate for the MU job? What evidence that he was ever interested in coaching at MU?

Anyone want to bet that if Miami has another season at .500, below .500 or barely above .500, that he won't be feeling the heat over in Oxford. Think they'll be jumping for joy with another middle of the pack, or lower, finish in the MAC East?

Amazing that people downplay the Herd's three ten win seasons under Doc claiming that the Herd didn't beat anyone of consequence. Yet Martin barely salvages a winning season by beating one team with a winning record in the Redhawks last 6 or 7 games, and Martin should, therefore, be hired IMMEDIATELY as the Herd's head coach. Unfrigging believable!

Oh, and as for Martin's glowing overall record achieved primarily at some Midwestern D-2 and/or D-3 school, why don't you just ask some of the folks around Leprechaun country up there in South Bend how that's working out with "whiz" Kelly!

Totally Moronic, but a nice try!!

Last edited:
You people are idiots. He was still head coach at GVS when Doc was hired. If you dont think we could poach a head coach from a D-II school, Im not sure what to tell you. Besides there was some interest if I recall correctly, and we didnt even interview the guy. Thats the trouble with the "good ol boy" nepotism system - you tend to not even look at, much less hire, the best candidates.

Reactions: Treadmill MUsic
You people are idiots. He was still head coach at GVS when Doc was hired. If you dont think we could poach a head coach from a D-II school, Im not sure what to tell you. Besides there was some interest if I recall correctly, and we didnt even interview the guy. Thats the trouble with the "good ol boy" nepotism system - you tend to not even look at, much less hire, the best candidates.

What you're saying is based off pure opinion. The fact of the matter is, Doc won six more games during his first three years and that included a bowl win. Do you honestly believe Miami (OH) is going to follow up their 6-win season with 33 wins over the next three seasons? It's not likely.

You're comparing apples and dump trucks. First, Doc came in to a better situation than Martin. Second, it is much easier to recruit and buiId a successful team at Marshall than little miami.

I agree that it's unlikely Martin will win 30+ games in 3 seasons.. What IS likely is he reels off a 10 or 11 win season or two and gets poached by some bigger school looking for an experienced, successful head coach.

The guy won back-to-back National Championships and was the OC for a ND team that went 12-0 and played for a National Championship. To pretend Doc is even close to his level is laughable.

You're comparing apples and dump trucks. First, Doc came in to a better situation than Martin. Second, it is much easier to recruit and buiId a successful team at Marshall than little miami.

I agree that it's unlikely Martin will win 30+ games in 3 seasons.. What IS likely is he reels off a 10 or 11 win season or two and gets poached by some bigger school looking for an experienced, successful head coach.

The guy won back-to-back National Championships and was the OC for a ND team that went 12-0 and played for a National Championship. To pretend Doc is even close to his level is laughable.

He won at the D-II level, not FBS so don't act like he's the second coming of Nick Saban.

And there's a HUGE difference between being a coordinator at the D-I level and being a HC at the D-I level. We found that out first hand with Mark Snyder.

Saying Martin is a better coordinator is a viable statement, but saying he's a better HC is wrong or "laughable" as you put it.

Reactions: pdbailey and ToesMU

Can't totally agree that Doc has had an "easier" situation at MU.

First, Miami has a lot longer history of football success; still known as the "cradle of coaches".

Second, Miami is in the high and mighty, and geographically friendly, MAC and its lucrative long term television contract. Marshall is in the lowly, struggling and far flung CUSA.

Third, Miami is close by a major urban city and in a talent rich high school football state. Marshall is in declining and deteriorating Huntington and economically and educationally poor
West Virginia.

Finally, Doc didn't really come into an ideal situation at Marshall. The program was still in a decline after the ill timed departure of Coach Pruett and the failed Mark Snyder tenure. The team had a 7-6 record the season before Doc's arrival only after winning a bowl game with an interim head coach and a departing staff. Doc started over, essentially, having to establish his system and obtain his players.

Not saying Martin had an easier path at Miami. But two situations were different, sort of like pomegranates and tricycles!!

Can't totally agree that Doc has had an "easier" situation at MU.

First, Miami has a lot longer history of football success; still known as the "cradle of coaches".

. . .

Finally, Doc didn't really come into an ideal situation at Marshall. The program was still in a decline after the ill timed departure of Coach Pruett and the failed Mark Snyder tenure. The team had a 7-6 record the season before Doc's arrival only after winning a bowl game with an interim head coach and a departing staff. Doc started over, essentially, having to establish his system and obtain his players.

Not saying Martin had an easier path at Miami. But two situations were different, sort of like pomegranates and tricycles!!

Just stop. Youre making yourself look foolish. Martin inherited a program that went 4-8, 4-8, and 0-12 the three seasons prior to his hiring. The light finally came on for HIS players the second half of last season. Barring some disaster, I doubt he has another losing season before he leaves Oxford.

I will say that Miami should have a good season this year and next as they don't start many seniors - based on the current depth chart.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT