ADVERTISEMENT

Idea for Myrtle Beach Bowl

johnathan h

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2010
WVU won today improving to 5-7.

Sometimes 5-7 teams will get bowl bids when all of the slots can’t be filled.

Would love to see our boys play the team up north in the Myrtle Beach bowl.

I’m sure there are some polarized opinions on this. But the idea is fun to me.

Nevermind…. I don’t think it could happen. One of their wins is FCS.

Anybody know if this could happen?

if determining priority for type of opponent we face what’s most important to you:

-overall record?
-p5 opponent?
-rival school?
-conference they come from?

Why are some of our fans so fascinated with the school up north. We don't need them and I don't care if we ever play them again.
Just for clarification. I’m not fascinated with WVU. I can’t stand them.

I would just prefer a full stadium and greater interest in our bowl game

Vs.

Playing in a half empty stadium against a mac/cusa school.

But hey, hopefully our leadership can find an even better option than both of these.

Dear god imagine the rednecks in Conway from all the West Virginia transplants and the general myrtle beach crowd

Sounds good to me(other than playing wvu who doesn't deserve a bowl). I am around all these other types all the time. I like being around real people not a bunch of fake people.

What do you want a $800 bottle of wine and caviar crowd? Nothing wrong with Conway.

Reactions: HerdyGurdyMan
I know rules are rules, but I think it's dirty to allow a 5-7 team in when JMU is a good enough team to actually show up in a bowl game. It's a shame they have to sit out.

We caught JMU at the right time (starting QB out?). They have run over almost everyone they have played since then.

Why are some of our fans so fascinated with the school up north. We don't need them and I don't care if we ever play them again.

We do need them. Season ticket sales proves it. In addition it doesn’t have anything to do with us “needing them”. That is as bad as them saying they have “nothing to gain” by playing us.

The game needs to be played in every sport just because. No reason other than both schools in the same state. No other big schools here.

This needs to be played just because it does. Always. And in every sport. Period.

This needs to be played just because it does. Always. And in every sport. Period.
Unfortunately, this won’t happen. The administration of the Morgantown school, from their racist President to their recently fired Athletic Director, view the school as some educational and sports Mecca. They somehow believe they are better than all others.
Gee has publicly belittled Marshall and would like nothing better than to see us as just another branch of Morgantown U.
I was once like you and believed a State rivalry would be a good thing. I’ve grown past that

Reactions: wyocinherd
We do need them.
No. No we don’t. Period.

umm-no-kenan-thompson.gif

Let me give you a clue. 5-7 teams are chosen for bowls by their APR - Academic Progress Rate.. Just how far up that ladder do you think WVU is? Hint: Rice is #1. They don’t have a prayer at a bowl.

Reactions: RhinoD
Nevermind…. I don’t think it could happen. One of their wins is FCS.

Anybody know if this could happen?
WVU can not go to a bowl game... there is one bowl spot that is "unfilled" (81 teams with 6 wins, 82 bowl slots) meaning, ONE 5-7 team will get a bowl bid.

5-7 teams are ranked by APR, and the top team in that metric is Rice... The only way another 5-7 team could get a bowl game is if someone with 6 wins or more turned their game down (Notre Dame has done it before, but its exceedingly rare). WVU is also not second, or third, in APR.

They are not going to a bowl game, and will likely be firing their head coach tomorrow.

As for playing WVU in football, ever, the answer is one sided as much as we hate to say it... There is no upside for WVU to play us in the regular season. If they win, everyone says "Yep, beat a Sun Belt team," "little brother," yada yada yada... If we win, they look like idiots for playing us.

Their redneck fans will buy plenty of tickets watch them beat Akron, Miami OH, or some other close MAC teams and thus they don't gain much by getting a "sellout" against us.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Circumstances forced MU to have to play two FCS teams this season. At this time, we do NOT need to play another team such as WVU in a 2022 bowl game that would further DIMINISH our stock and reputation in FBS football, IMO!!

Trying THINKING a little deeply, A-ron, before posting. I realize it may be a new concept for you.

Trying THINKING a little deeply, A-ron, before posting. I realize it may be a new concept for you.

Your last line of that post is all I need to know to formulate an opinion on someone about sports. Not playing a game because of “reputation”. Geez. What happened to the anyone anywhere anytime mantra.

Two worst bowls - Bahamas and MB. jmo. Playing a solid OU team would be intriguing.

Two worst bowls - Bahamas and MB. jmo. Playing a solid OU team would be intriguing.
You can tell what ESPN (who controls the bowl matchups) thinks of a certain game/location buy the time slot the bowl is given... I would say the "worst" bowls are as follows.

Bahamas -- Friday, Dec. 16 -- 11:30 a.m.
Myrtle Beach -- Monday, Dec. 19 -- 2 p.m.
Idaho Potato -- Tuesday, Dec. 20 -- 3 p.m.
Camelia Bowl -- Tuesday, Dec. 27 -- Noon
Military -- Wednesday, Dec. 28 -- 2 p.m.

Games played on weekdays that aren't holidays, while people are working (11 a.m. to 5 p.m.) = Low TV viewership, which is what ESPN cares about.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The play WVU meme in the revenue sports is tired and we need to give it a rest.

Basketball - We simply are not at WVU’s level. We were way ahead of WVU from the late 60s through when they finally started playing us, and were about even for more than two decades. WVU demanded excellence and moved up to a respectable second tier program. They are never winning the national championship or competing for true five-stars, but they are way better than we are. We are making a token effort. WVU would win, nine years out of ten, at least six or seven of those by blow out margins. No thanks.

Football - When we played, WVU was at the mid-major Leastleftovers level. Whatever their false claims in the lapdog media, they were playing to about one-third empty seats most games. We sold those seats for them. For us, they sold our (far fewer) unsellable seats. The TV is a wash, because the games belong to the home conference and there is no extra money in it for either. WVU is being left behind in a conference whose only commonality is that no one else wants these programs. A conference where there are only 2 states where the member is the most important program in that state. In other words a mid-major. As it did in the Leastleftovers and Big Least eras, the perception that what goes on in this league is somehow the same as what goes on in major conferences is very important to WVU. Losing to Marshall is the last thing they want to do, and they would, with great regularity. No thanks.

Reactions: Elkview and RhinoD
Basketball I think you can make a case for, since its 1 game out of 30, and even when we totally sucked we always got fired up for that game and played them tough.

Football, totally agree, no need to go down that road again. Let them live in the fantasy world where the Big12 matters on the national landscape (it won't as soon as OU and Texas leave). Focus on winning the SBC while playing a regional P5 team or two each year (VT, NC State, etc)

Reactions: The Real SamC
The play WVU meme in the revenue sports is tired and we need to give it a rest.

Basketball - We simply are not at WVU’s level. We were way ahead of WVU from the late 60s through when they finally started playing us, and were about even for more than two decades. WVU demanded excellence and moved up to a respectable second tier program. They are never winning the national championship or competing for true five-stars, but they are way better than we are. We are making a token effort. WVU would win, nine years out of ten, at least six or seven of those by blow out margins. No thanks.

Football - When we played, WVU was at the mid-major Leastleftovers level. Whatever their false claims in the lapdog media, they were playing to about one-third empty seats most games. We sold those seats for them. For us, they sold our (far fewer) unsellable seats. The TV is a wash, because the games belong to the home conference and there is no extra money in it for either. WVU is being left behind in a conference whose only commonality is that no one else wants these programs. A conference where there are only 2 states where the member is the most important program in that state. In other words a mid-major. As it did in the Leastleftovers and Big Least eras, the perception that what goes on in this league is somehow the same as what goes on in major conferences is very important to WVU. Losing to Marshall is the last thing they want to do, and they would, with great regularity. No thanks.

Typical ridiculous take.

You play the game because you play the game. It’s just a fact.

Your reasons, like most other reasons are lame and anti competitive in nature.

Too bad there are too many others out there that are equally as scared as you are on both sides.

Reactions: Sistersviille
Typical ridiculous take.

You play the game because you play the game. It’s just a fact.

Your reasons, like most other reasons are lame and anti competitive in nature.

Too bad there are too many others out there that are equally as scared as you are on both sides.
It has nothing to do with being "scared" of playing WVU... If they wanted to play us in football or basketball, we should oblige as long as the deal is fair.

There simply is nothing in it for WVU to play us... They win, no one cares outside of this state, and it helps them in no way. They lose, they look like idiots for scheduling us. Simply put, they are better off scheduling FCS teams and MAC bottom feeders to get guaranteed wins, at home, than they are agreeing to a series with MU that puts them in a position to be forced into a road game every 2-3 years that they could potentially lose. This is especially true right now, since their team is terrible and on a downward trajectory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT