ADVERTISEMENT

Idea to get butts in seats....

Nov 22, 2008
Its simple business and supply versus demand. We have an excess supply of seats, and no demand. You have to create demand. Winning of course will do this, but until we are winning year in and year out they need to decrease ticket prices and concession prices.
It's too costly for the average family to attend games and be able to enjoy the game from a financial standpoint.
-Why not sell out the venues with $5 tickets and have $1 drinks and hot dogs. Make a little off everyone versus a lot of someone.

Basketball has a "happy hour" for weekday games where you can buy a drink and a hotdog for $1 prior to tip off. I think this is a great idea.
-I think however football needs to look into this maybe do it for the 2nd half. This might get people to actually not stay in the parking lot after half time.
-How many families can afford 4 tickets and concessions week in week out. You are talking $200 for a family of 4. This is Huntington WV, not Los Angeles.

Why not reach out to local schools and offer a ticket package to the schools. They can use it as a fundraiser for the schools, and build fans at a young age.
-Get with local midget league programs and have them attend and be recognized.
I know that the NCAA regulates tickets given away to prospective "student athletes" but there has to be a way to leverage the rule in your favor.

If you have a game on national TV and have empty seats, how can you expect to get recruits in? I know the "vision campaign" got the IPF built, but where has that left us, with 2x as many empty seats for football. Basketball attendance was great last year, but again, winning gets that done.
-What kid wants to go play for a school that doesn't have fans in seats?

Football could EASILY give away 5,000 tickets a week and still not fill up the stadium. Basketball doesn't have that need, but could easily give away 1,000 tickets per home game and create an atmosphere, or a home field advantage. Come on now, lets get creative!!

Many people spend a lot of money for their tailgate food and will return to their spot. And the food is better. Quite frankly, I think Stewart's sucks ass. That special might bring in a marginal amount of people, not I don't feel as many as you might think.

Hamrick truly needs to seriously consider reviewing the concessions offered at the Joan IMO. I agree with THUNDERGround regarding Stewart’s. Worst hot dog around BUT oh it’s a Huntington tradition. The food at the tailgates around the stadium is much better. I would rather have Rocco’s lasagna or Fat Patti’s burgers (in the stadium) or Jewel City’s fish sandwich - just something different IF POSSIBLE. Just saying there are better options than Stewart’s dry hot dogs. Also agree in the short term reduce the prices on everything. Our local economy simply can’t support Marshall’s athletic programs relying solely on Huntington and Tri-State residents.

I say bring in pole dancers at half time.....................seen worse during the super bowl halftime show lol

The tube steak they sell at the stadium is far superior to their drive-in dog. Now if you don't like the "sauce" that's another matter.

We can't do that, it's devaluing the Marshall brand and insulting the big donors who pay good money to watch football and smooze with other beautiful people.

Seriously, agree something must be done to get more fans in the area engaged. Huntington cant support this program on its own.

Tarp the endzone, reduce capacity to no more than 30K so our 20k-25k fans look like an actual crowd. This would do two things for Marshall:

1) It would make paying the premium for prime seating worth it, as opposed to now when I can buy a GA endzone seat ten minutes before kickoff and sit on the 50, in front of some guy who paid $65 for his ticket back in April.

2) It would condense our crowd, and improve the gameday atmosphere tremendously. It never fails when I bring somebody to a Marshall game (especially if they've been to a WVU game), the first thing they say when we get seated is, "Damn, nobody's here."

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
You are assuming that there are 40K people willing to attend the games at $5 per. There are not. Even if there were, that is a recipe for financial disaster. If you want to watch $5 football, go down to State or Harvey High.

Reactions: GreenDuke
Hamrick truly needs to seriously consider reviewing the concessions offered at the Joan IMO. I agree with THUNDERGround regarding Stewart’s. Worst hot dog around BUT oh it’s a Huntington tradition. The food at the tailgates around the stadium is much better. I would rather have Rocco’s lasagna or Fat Patti’s burgers (in the stadium) or Jewel City’s fish sandwich - just something different IF POSSIBLE. Just saying there are better options than Stewart’s dry hot dogs. Also agree in the short term reduce the prices on everything. Our local economy simply can’t support Marshall’s athletic programs relying solely on Huntington and Tri-State residents.

A little off topic but you can't bash Stewart's and then request Fat Patty's burgers. Those things are frozen garbage on a stale bun. Try Oscar's, Ale House or The Peddler if you want a real local burger.

BTW...Stewart's is awful...but it's no worse than Fat Patty's burgers.

Ive said it for several years. Tear down the endzone upper bowl. Put in a party deck and beer garden, restrooms, and a concession stand. Although I sit in the endzone and LOVE that perspective of the game, I think it would eventually benefit the school in the long run.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
Ive said it for several years. Tear down the endzone upper bowl. Put in a party deck and beer garden, restrooms, and a concession stand. Although I sit in the endzone and LOVE that perspective of the game, I think it would eventually benefit the school in the long run.

Agree with this. The stadium really needs a complete overhaul. Oh, if we just had money to burn like those Texas schools. Too bad we can't get Brad Smith to give us $100mil or so. We could rename the stadium Intuit Stadium and Edwards Field.

win games !!!

a downer is that we have no real rivalries ..... no teams we really want to "stomp badly."

Its simple business and supply versus demand. We have an excess supply of seats, and no demand. You have to create demand. Winning of course will do this, but until we are winning year in and year out they need to decrease ticket prices and concession prices.
It's too costly for the average family to attend games and be able to enjoy the game from a financial standpoint.
-Why not sell out the venues with $5 tickets and have $1 drinks and hot dogs. Make a little off everyone versus a lot of someone.

Basketball has a "happy hour" for weekday games where you can buy a drink and a hotdog for $1 prior to tip off. I think this is a great idea.
-I think however football needs to look into this maybe do it for the 2nd half. This might get people to actually not stay in the parking lot after half time.
-How many families can afford 4 tickets and concessions week in week out. You are talking $200 for a family of 4. This is Huntington WV, not Los Angeles.

Why not reach out to local schools and offer a ticket package to the schools. They can use it as a fundraiser for the schools, and build fans at a young age.
-Get with local midget league programs and have them attend and be recognized.
I know that the NCAA regulates tickets given away to prospective "student athletes" but there has to be a way to leverage the rule in your favor.

If you have a game on national TV and have empty seats, how can you expect to get recruits in? I know the "vision campaign" got the IPF built, but where has that left us, with 2x as many empty seats for football. Basketball attendance was great last year, but again, winning gets that done.
-What kid wants to go play for a school that doesn't have fans in seats?

Football could EASILY give away 5,000 tickets a week and still not fill up the stadium. Basketball doesn't have that need, but could easily give away 1,000 tickets per home game and create an atmosphere, or a home field advantage. Come on now, lets get creative!!

Lowering the prices to that level is not going to help the finances of the AD. Its the same approach Marcum did at UMass and it basically financially ruined them.

I do like the idea of local businesses being able to sell food, but Sodexo pays a huge amount to MU for selling their crap product. Can local businesses generate more than what Sodexo pays? If so, then I am all for it.

I would say get rid of Stewarts and try another hot dog joint. La Famiglia vended an Italian Sausage sandwich at the inaugural Rails and Ales that was fkn phenomenal....It was $5. Buddy's could do something, I know. Fat patty's wouldn't be a bad idea. Roosters could get in on the action with some wings.

The key is to not add too many so it's worth it for the venders that do come in... Or...You can rotate them each week.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
I like this. I have suggested something like this before.
Make the Rails and Ales a contest for the vendors. Everyone votes on the best vendor, who gets a free year lease to sell beer at the stadium.
Perhaps Fats could help build a small restaurant/party deck on one side of the stadium...it wouldn't need to be very big but have tables and areas like the box suites and have them auctioned off each week or for a season for use.
I think, at thebleast, it would be cool to have a restaurant space actually installed into the stadium somewhere and let the local vendors rotate its use.

Or something...

For the last two games sell end zone tickets for $10.00 each and by two and get the third free.
Eliminate the extra charges to beef up the BIg Greeen fees and facilities fees.
Sell end zone tickets for $15.00 each and give certain concession free.
Sell seats with chairbacks for $20.00.
Sell end zone tickets for #20.00 and give a free tee shirt

Here is a few ideas

You are assuming that there are 40K people willing to attend the games at $5 per. There are not. Even if there were, that is a recipe for financial disaster. If you want to watch $5 football, go down to State or Harvey High.
Problem is you go see $5 football that cost you 40 bucks.

Kent State had a great deal before a home game. Hot dogs (Nathans) are $1 and beer by the can was $2 or $3 up until kickoff. Expand the concession area out and have beer kiosk and food trucks. Get rid of Stewarts hot dogs they are terrible. Bring in other selections Cams Ham, Chick-fil-a etc. Our concession area reminds me of a high school game.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
I love whomever mentioned Peddler.. oh.. and Backyard is the same owner.. how bout that pizza... now... if the deal was right.. Hetzer I'm sure could make a basic quality pizza... but there's no oven at the Joan... so there's that.. but FRESH food would be the way to go!

Fresh burgers, salads, even shellfish, chicken salad croissants and such.. that could be in the end zone... you've got about 60 yards of space... 3 bays with full kitchens..

Pipe dream, I know... but what an experience that could be.

Kent State had a great deal before a home game.

When we start looking to Kent State for marketing ideas, it is time to flatten the stadium and start a dental school.

MEMO:

It costs to run a program at this level. The tickets cost what they cost. The concessions are a corporate deal and are what they are. We are not going to run some Food Network contest. We are not going to pay people to come to the games. It is what it is. It costs what it costs. If you cannot afford it, well that is life. If you don't like it, then don't come.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
I like this. I have suggested something like this before.
Make the Rails and Ales a contest for the vendors. Everyone votes on the best vendor, who gets a free year lease to sell beer at the stadium.
Perhaps Fats could help build a small restaurant/party deck on one side of the stadium...it wouldn't need to be very big but have tables and areas like the box suites and have them auctioned off each week or for a season for use.
I think, at thebleast, it would be cool to have a restaurant space actually installed into the stadium somewhere and let the local vendors rotate its use.

Or something...
Or something.......Ruth's Chris. Dream big brother.

A little off topic but you can't bash Stewart's and then request Fat Patty's burgers. Those things are frozen garbage on a stale bun. Try Oscar's, Ale House or The Peddler if you want a real local burger.

BTW...Stewart's is awful...but it's no worse than Fat Patty's burgers.

Agree on all counts.

Fat Patty's is horrifically overrated.

Totally agree. Do some endzone suites, a party deck and an upgraded eatery. Makes a huge amount of sense.

When we start looking to Kent State for marketing ideas, it is time to flatten the stadium and start a dental school.

Funny

It costs to run a program at this level. The tickets cost what they cost. The concessions are a corporate deal and are what they are. We are not going to run some Food Network contest. We are not going to pay people to come to the games. It is what it is. It costs what it costs. If you cannot afford it, well that is life. If you don't like it, then don't come.

I agree, to a point. Not that I'm not saying I endorse every idea on this thread. But I don't think Marshall - or many other programs - can afford to take the "if you don't like it, don't come" stance. As far as tickets and concessions costing what they cost...perhaps. But think of it like this: Let's say your product is some new phone app. Would you rather sell 10 apps for $1 each, or 100 apps for 20 cents each? Not saying this is a bullet-proof analogy, but the basic premise applies. More butts in the seats means more money, too. Filling the stadium should be a priority for this program.

MEMO:

Real (Silent) Sam....I agree 100%. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

In the past I would drive to Huntington when I was a season football ticket holder...and like all the other out of town ticket holders... it was a costly weekend for us. I shutter to thank of all the $350--$400 weekends I spent following The HERD. I would invest a weekend and come to The Joan and bitch to others about the empty seats. "Why in the heck can the locals not support The HERD better?" IT IS WHAT IT IS.

I would complain on Herd Nation and receive negative comments from some locals. They had a point and once I understood where they were coming from---I got over it. I finally realized my complaining would not change things. Either you love Marshall enough to invest your time & $$$$$----or you CHOSE to spend your time & $$$$ with Family, Church, JOB, or other reasons that are more important to you. We offer suggestions and wonder IF our folks that run the ticket office, The BIG GREEN, the pleas from our Coaching & Athletic Directors office----to encourage better attendance.... have tried our ideas. We assume they have and they are truly concerned with the lack of football support.

I contend our problem is a lot like most colleges & universities are facing today------times are changing and sports are not as important today like it was when we were students or young adults. Marshall Sports was the IN-THING to do and we counted the hours...until Game Day. Life goes on without The HERD...I have learned....and our core fans of about 18,000 will continue to show up on game day.

Closing, I will continue to pledge to the Big Green and other financial requests that come out of Marshall because I owe our University for helping prepare me for what has been a pretty good life. A few weekends will find me coming to Huntington to support our teams. I will watch them when they come face the Charlotte 49ers.

I love Marshall (sometimes way too much) and, as many of my non-HERD friends say...."We have HERD enough about Marshall."

Go HERD---beat those damn Toppers.

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT