ADVERTISEMENT

IF the new CUSA TV deal only brings 100k per team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreenhouseEffect

Silver Buffalo
Aug 17, 2012
SilverCometTrail
Should Marshall go "independent" in football and lobby to join the A10 or Big South , or Southern Conference ?

Why do we travel to play in Tejas?

OR???

Would Marshall be better off leaving CUSA and forming a new Eastern Based Conference with current CUSA members and adding App State Ga Southern Troy, and dropping Tejas and La schools.

Can't figure out for the life of me why two WV schools that are in the same state don't play, yet travel half a day there and back and spend and send their monies to one of the richest states in the union Tejas?

CUSA has lost its marketing power. Going independent, playing the best G5s i.e. AAC MWC and throwing in two P5s per season would probably make more fiscal cents than staying in Texas based Texas biased CUSA.

Bottom line, fiscal tough times ahead, PLEASE give to the Big Green!

Bottom line Greenhouse - in case you somehow don't know - fiscal tough times for Marshall do not lay ahead - in fact they are here now. But yes do give to Big Green. Unfortunately, and I do not know why, but it seems that the BG never seems to increase its numbers. Seems to be stagnant in terms of growth as well as in terms of annual giving. Not sure the Big Green is going to be the salvation for Marshall athletics which needs cash to keep moving. I have no answers.

According to the BG, we have more donors now than ever and more donations. That being said, the BG should have been more aggressive in cultivating new members decades ago. But back then, focused on the home run hitters and not those that played small ball. Funny thing is, those potential small donors 20 years ago would have likely grown to big hitters now.

Hopefully with the new efforts being placed on growing numbers and President Gilberts efforts to grow the enrollment aggressively, that may offset some TV dollars lost and lost state funding.

Bottom line Greenhouse - in case you somehow don't know - fiscal tough times for Marshall do not lay ahead - in fact they are here now. But yes do give to Big Green. Unfortunately, and I do not know why, but it seems that the BG never seems to increase its numbers. Seems to be stagnant in terms of growth as well as in terms of annual giving. Not sure the Big Green is going to be the salvation for Marshall athletics which needs cash to keep moving. I have no answers.
Last year was the BIGGEST numbers the BG have ever had. Over 3200. This year the goal is 3500.

Last year was the BIGGEST numbers the BG have ever had. Over 3200. This year the goal is 3500.

That's awesome but we should have been this aggressive decades ago. The BG has been around, what 40 years or so? I've been a member since 1989.

Should Marshall go "independent" in football and lobby to join the A10 or Big South , or Southern Conference ?

The A-10 would laugh us out of the room for asking. Our basketball programs, yes plural, are not anywhere near their level. All of them are in or near a major city. And they already have 14 members.

The Big South is a collection of small expensive private colleges and smaller public colleges. They play in gyms. And Liberty, which keeps its own TV rights and shows some of its games on religious stations and the internet. AFAIK their entire TV contract consists of their championship game. Pass.

MU would be the second largest school in the SoCon. It is again a random collection of very different schools brought together more than anything by having no place else to go. Some arenas, but a lot of gyms. Why exactly would they want a non-football member, playing football at the I-A level.

Why do we travel to play in Tejas?

Because the league has teams in Texas.

Would Marshall be better off leaving CUSA and forming a new Eastern Based Conference with current CUSA members and adding App State Ga Southern Troy, and dropping Tejas and La schools.

So you have the $7M exit fee covered, right? Why exactly would any of those schools (also owing exit fees) want to do so?

Can't figure out for the life of me why two WV schools that are in the same state don't play

THIS AGAIN?

Going independent, playing the best G5s i.e. AAC MWC and throwing in two P5s per season

So, exactly which AAC and MWC members (and why exactly are you willing to travel to the MWC, the closest school being New Mexico, a whole state further away) are willing to play the Herd H&H?

And, while we are at it, which P5s? We are about tapped out of P5s H&H. So no return money games? So maybe 5 home games per year? One of those a no-return money game of our own against a I-AA.

So, an MU schedule, c. 2022:

Gardner-Webb (for $$ no-return)
@ Virginia (for $$ no-return)
@ Indiana (for $$ no-return)
Wyoming (not on TV, rights belong to MU, channel 30 offers $39)
@ECU
@ UAB
Georgia State (not on TV, channel 8 offers $4.50 and a box of condoms)
@ Georgia Southern
@ Tulane
Kent State (not on TV, channel 61 offers to pray for us)
@ Utah State
Eastern Michigan (not on TV, channel 13 offers six cases of Diet Pepsi and use of the employee break room).

And, exactly what is ESPN (et al) willing to pay for this. They are all tapped out. TV rights belong to the home team. So, lets just say, an independent MU gets a H&H with, say, ECU. @ECU is an AAC game, TV rights flow as the flow. @MU is our own game. ESPN, et al, already have HUNDREDS of games to pick from, for which they have already paid because they buy conference rights. Exactly why would they pay 5 cents for ECU @ MU?

Forming a "new eastern based conference" sounds simple enough but how easy do you think that would be to accomplish? How many other G5 schools are truly seriously ready to jump leagues into a new conference?

Sounds like the old Steve Martin routine about "how you can have a million dollars and Never pay taxes!" First, according to Steve, "get a million dollars". Easier said than done!!

Can't figure out for the life of me why two WV schools that are in the same state don't play, yet travel half a day there and back and spend and send their monies to one of the richest states in the union Tejas?

I can give you 34 million dollars per year worth of reasons as to why WVU plays in the Big XII even if it means traveling to Texas. For the life of me I can't figure out why Marshall stays in CUSA for $200,000. Travel costs alone will eat that up.

I won't argue further on this site because my purpose is not to start a fight on your board, but you're welcome to visit the Woodshed on the WVU board where we can discuss it..........

Last edited:
Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
I can give you 34 million dollars per year worth of reasons as to why WVU plays in the Big XII even if it means traveling to Texas. For the life of me I can't figure out why Marshall stays in CUSA for $200,000. Travel costs alone will eat that up.

I won't argue further on this site because my purpose is not to start a fight on your board, but you're welcome to visit the Woodshed on the WVU board where we can discuss it..........

Hard, apparently, for dense Neer fans to fathom but MU doesn't have a slew of other options open to it currently. Can't even get games with WVU in certain sports, in Morgantown, Huntington, or even Charleston and that's trying to deal with only ONE other school, who also happens to be an instate school. Trying to get into another conference involves dealing and negotiating with numerous schools in several states.

Reactions: The Real SamC
The A-10. . . All of them are in or near a major city.

St. Bonaventure wants you to visit Olean. Buffalo is a solid 90 minute drive away as the nearest "major" city.

UMass wants you to visit Amherst. Boston is a solid 2 hour drive from Amhest, if you can get no traffic.

Rhode Island wants you to visit Kingston. If you drive at 3 am when there is no traffic, you may be able to make it to Boston in 90 minutes.

VCU wants you to visit Richmond. It is hard to find somebody claiming that a city with a population of 200,000 is considered a "major city," unless you also claim cities like Fort Wayne, Garland, Chesapeake, Laredo, Henderson, Rochester, Hialeah, Santa Ana, Aurora, Modesto, Oxnard, Fremont, Montgomery, and Chandler are "major" cities.

Richmond wants you to visit Richmond. It is hard to find somebody claiming that a city with a population of 200,000 is considered a "major city."

The Big South is a collection of small expensive private colleges and smaller public colleges. They play in gyms. And Liberty, which keeps its own TV rights and shows some of its games on religious stations and the internet. AFAIK their entire TV contract consists of their championship game. Pass.

Liberty has an enrollment near 22,000. It doesn't fit your "small" qualifier. Campbell is private and over 10,000 students. It doesn't fit your "small" qualifier. Radford is near 10,000 students, which doesn't really fit your "smaller" qualifier.

MU would be the second largest school in the SoCon.

That's also wrong.

According to the UNC-G website, they have nearly 20,000 students. According to the ETSU website, they have over 14,500 students. According to the Marshall website, they have 13,631 students.

That puts Marshall as the third largest in the SoCon, at best.

So, exactly which AAC and MWC members (and why exactly are you willing to travel to the MWC, the closest school being New Mexico,

Wrong again, Sammy.

Wyoming, Colorado State, and Air Force are all MWC schools that are closer to Huntington than New Mexico is.

Eastern Michigan (not on TV, channel 13 offers six cases of Diet Pepsi and use of the employee break room).

No. Channel 13's vendor provides them with Coke products, not Pepsi products. According to the station's general manager, they have no intention of switching that for 2022.

Sammy, why must you constantly present incorrect facts to support your arguments? We go over this with almost all of your posts. How about generalizing arguments instead of fabricating specifics? I know that your attempts at making the arguments specific leads to credibility to an uninformed reader, but those of us with an IQ above 10 see it as it is; complete bullshit.

Reactions: portico and WVU 91
Troll:

Olean is in the Buffalo TV market. Almost all of Mass. is urban, and UMass is in the Boston TV market. All of RI is urban. Richmond is a major city. You look stupid.

Since you are the spelling Nazi, you might want to learn basic reading skills.

The Big South is a collection of small expensive private colleges and smaller public colleges. They play in gyms. And Liberty, which keeps its own TV rights and shows some of its games on religious stations and the internet.
You do get how to read a list and know what "and" means. You look stupid.

Re: enrollments, wow, how obsessed you must be to spend you time checking on me on 15 odd websites OK, 3rd. But note:

According to the Marshall website, they have 13,631 students.
Not "we" but "they". TROLL EXPOSED. Go away troll. Oh, and, you look stupid.

Wyoming, Colorado State, and Air Force are all MWC schools that are closer to Huntington than New Mexico is.

OK, thanks for sharing. What an obsession. You do that with Google maps or an old fashioned RM? How is the AC in your mom's basement? How many of those are closer than all but UTEP, the OP's on one hand complaining about CUSA travel and on the other hand wanting to play in the Mountain West. Idiot. You look stupid.

No. Channel 13's vendor provides them with Coke products, not Pepsi products. According to the station's general manager...

Is that a joke in your nerd world or did you really call WOWK and ask which vending machine is in the break room. You need help. And you look stupid.

Why do you post here. All of your posts are just trying to troll me and a couple of other posters. You know nothing about MU athletics, or if you do, you never post anything. You just run checkspell and, now apparently want to argue about brands of soda and whether the USAFA or UNM are closer. You add nothing to this board. No one cares about you.

Find somebody else to play with. Maybe see if your stepdad will buy you an xbox for your 14th?

Troll:

Olean is in the Buffalo TV market.

Which is entirely different than what you claimed. So, you were wrong by claiming that all schools in the A-10 were in or near a major city.

Troll:

Almost all of Mass. is urban, and UMass is in the Boston TV market.

Which is entirely different than what you claimed. So, you were wrong again by claiming that all schools in the A-10 were in or near a major city.

Troll:

All of RI is urban.

Clearly, somebody has never been to Rhode Island. There are plenty of farms and rural areas in the state, especially on the western edge. I was at a party on the coast of Rhode Island last summer, and many parts of it are desolate.

Troll:

Richmond is a major city.

That is comically bad. Based on population, Richmond is the 98th largest city in the country behind "major" cities like Fremont, NORTH Las Vegas, Chesapeake, Garland, Hialeah, Fort Wayne, Laredo, Lubbock, Toledo, Chula Vista, Henderson, Aurora, Santa Ana, and all of those other "major" cities.

If you want to change the argument to look at television market (which includes other cities), Richmond is still only 55th. Major? Not even close. Harrisburg-Lancaster is bigger; Greenville-Spartanburg is bigger; Fresno is bigger. Nobody would be foolish enough to call those cities "major" or those television markets "major."

You claim somebody is stupid for claiming that Richmond isn't a major city? By all reasonable measures, Richmond is not a major city. Hell, it is only the 5th biggest city in the 12th biggest state. It's stupid to claim it is a major city, either in population or in television market.

Since you are the spelling Nazi, you might want to learn basic reading skills.

The Big South is a collection of small expensive private colleges and smaller public colleges. They play in gyms. And Liberty, which keeps its own TV rights and shows some of its games on religious stations and the internet.
You do get how to read a list and know what "and" means. You look stupid.

Your lack of spelling ability is only rivaled by your lack of writing ability. I listed three schools which didn't fit your qualifiers of what the Big South is. You only contested one of them (which shows you already to be wrong), and your challenge is based on your horrendous ability to articulate what you tried to argue.

The use of "and" does not disqualify your characteristics of the Big South. You may be looking for the word "except."

Troll:

OK, thanks for sharing. What an obsession. You do that with Google maps or an old fashioned RM? How is the AC in your mom's basement? How many of those are closer than all but UTEP, the OP's on one hand complaining about CUSA travel and on the other hand wanting to play in the Mountain West. Idiot. You look stupid.

Your UTEP question has nothing to do with what you posted. You, once again, are trying to change the argument. Why did you select UTEP instead of North Texas or Rice? Exactly.

Now, run along. As I routinely point out in many of your posts, your arguments are full of absolute bullshit that you attempt to pass off as facts. Then, when called out on them, you claim the other person can only call names (which has been you), claim they can only attack your spelling (clearly not the case), or tell them to "STFU."

You just run checkspell

I believe you mean "spellcheck." Are you dyslexic? That may account for your inability to spell words most children master in middle school.

As hard as it is for somebody of your meager intelligence to believe, many people don't have to run "checkspell" to recognize how dumb you are with your incorrect spelling.

Can't wait for you to make another uninformed argument full of bullshit that you try to pass off as factual.

Couple Things.

1. Rhode Island is far from Urban, Outside of Providence nothing about Rhode Island is Urban.

2. Only about 10% of Mass is Urban thanks to the Boston area.

3. Alot of those cities listed under Rifles "Major Cities" list aren't even Cities in my eyes but major suburbs of Larger Cities.

4. I have preached for a long time that all of the G5 schools need to come together and form 4 16 teams conferences.

The 4 league 16 team sounds good to us, but think about it for a minute. At this point in time, why would the AAC and MWC do that? What would they have to gain? We do not know at this point if they will lose enough money in contracts to redo things etc. if we were in the AAC, would we want to redo it.......probably not.

No matter how much the AAC like to put themselves on this pedestal, they are still a G5 conference that stretches from Connecticut to Houston. I've always said this, the I-10 Texas Schools(Houston, Rice, UTSA, and UTEP) should go to the MW. The AAC should add Army, Marshall, WKU, Southern Miss, and Louisiana Tech. And if UCONN was ever to leave for the ACC then take a look at MTSU.

I don't disagree, but you have to remember how we thumbed our nose to everyone when CUSA was what the AAC currently is. If they don't lose much or anything on contracts, the question is why would they feel compelled to do anything at all? They left us and USM, two deserving programs, behind for a reason in favor of Tulane, Tulsa etc.....

CUSA started to fall off once Banskodumbass didn't take the ESPN deal. I honestly feel he is the one who sabotaged everything. And then pushovers like Hamrick didn't stand up for the Conference.

Everyone knew Rutgers, Louisville, WV, Pitt, Syracuse was all leaving the Big East. CUSA should have pushed for USF, UCONN, and Cincy to rejoin CUSA and reach out to Navy to be the 16th team.

Reactions: beefcake0520
Not sure Hamrick could have done anything, cant really blame him. he did get mtsu and wku invited, but both floridas too

If you knew anything about Richmond you'd know that the city is fairly small in footprint. Richmond CIty is only 60sq miles, in comparison, Charlotte is 300sq miles, VA Beach 500sq miles, and Raleigh 144sq miles. Most everyone lives in the counties that surround the city. I live 10mi from downtown, which is not in the city. Metro area is 1,260,029, city is only 220k.

I guess nobody from Wayne, Milton, Barboursville, Ashland, C-K, etc ever goes to Marshall games huh? METRO area is way more important than population of the city where the university sits.

If you knew anything about Richmond you'd know that the city is fairly small in footprint. Richmond CIty is only 60sq miles, in comparison, Charlotte is 300sq miles, VA Beach 500sq miles, and Raleigh 144sq miles. Most everyone lives in the counties that surround the city. I live 10mi from downtown, which is not in the city. Metro area is 1,260,029, city is only 220k.

I guess nobody from Wayne, Milton, Barboursville, Ashland, C-K, etc ever goes to Marshall games huh? METRO area is way more important than population of the city where the university sits.
Actually I know quite a bit about Richmond, its not as small as you suggest. May not be as big as Charlotte but its plenty big enough with a decent metro area.

I was replying to Yag Si when he was stating that it was 200k people. Yes city is 200k, but hardly anybody actually lives inside city lines.

New No matter how much the AAC like to put themselves on this pedestal, they are still a G5 conference that stretches from Connecticut to Houston. I've always said this, the I-10 Texas Schools(Houston, Rice, UTSA, and UTEP) should go to the MW. The AAC should add Army, Marshall, WKU, Southern Miss, and Louisiana Tech. And if UCONN was ever to leave for the ACC then take a look at MTSU.

Does make perfect sense and would make a 4 , 16 team G5 league much more economically viable and possibly better marketing solution too for ad dollars.

Reactions: Herd Fever

I've co-owned a property/business there (in the actual city, not ten miles out in the suburbs) since 2009. I'm more than familiar with it.

the city population (98th), tv market (55th), and MSA (46th) all show it not to be a major city. It's not even something that most unbiased people would debate. Hell, of the one that puts them the highest of the three, the Virginia Beach and Hartford areas are bigger or about the same. Ain't nobody claiming that those areas are a "major city."

I have that idiot blocked for a reason

Yes, that's because you were mocked for making a ridiculously foolish argument that the Charlotte coach should be let go after this season, then went back and changed your argument to agree with mine, then whencalled out on it, went back to your original argument.

Reactions: sistersville

It doesn't benefit West Virginia to play in Huntington from a financial standpoint, and from a competitive standpoint they already play a AA or mid major in Morgantown every year and can't add more than that due to strength of schedule concerns. Another reason is Herd fans do not travel well. Last time that game was played, Marshall was given their allotment of 5,000 tickets and only sold around 2,500 of them. That in itself wouldn't have been such a problem except that they waited until just a few days before the game to return the unsold tickets with the result being WVU was stuck with unsold tickets that otherwise could have been sold. The athletic department folks were quite upset by that.

As for the playing in Texas comment, it is very profitable to play in that conference. League revenue and Tier 3 income alone make up $41 million of WVU's $94 million athletic budget, making it one of the best funded athletic programs in the country.

Does make perfect sense and would make a 4 , 16 team G5 league much more economically viable and possibly better marketing solution too for ad dollars.
Your problem would be Marshall doesn't have an athletic budget sufficient to compete on a regular basis with those programs. Some of them, UConn for example, are in reality P-5 programs waiting for an opening in a P-5 conference.

There is also this in addition to your 41 million (counting Tier 3 media rights) dollars per year, and this is even more important.
http://wvmetronews.com/2017/05/19/w...breaking-attendance-for-west-virginia-sports/

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
LOL!! LOL!! LOL!!

1. If your making all that money why did my parents have to give state tax dollars to pay for your air strip to get B12 planes in? Shouldn't you all pay for it?
2. My parents paid for your IAF , we paid for Marshsll's with our own family funds shouldn't you credit us back that money to the state?
3. If your "making" all that money, shouldn't you think about the greater good for the state? Not just wet vagina u and making more and keeping more and destroying anything you think threatens you?
4. If our locker rooms, IAF and weight rooms are better than yours, and we're AA what's thw make you? And what the heck are you doing with all that money ? Giving it to drunk crotch holding coaches?
5. Why do ignorant eerbillys live on our board if they won't play in Huntington where they are 0-5 in men's basketball?

Reactions: pdbailey
Another reason is Herd fans do not travel well. Last time that game was played, Marshall was given their allotment of 5,000 tickets and only sold around 2,500 of them.

Marshall fans travel very well to everywhere EXCEPT morganhole. Nobody, including me, wants to travel to a place where they are treated like crap and have beer cans thrown at them. My trip there in 1997 was my last.

It doesn't benefit West Virginia to play in Huntington from a financial standpoint, and from a competitive standpoint they already play a AA or mid major in Morgantown every year and can't add more than that due to strength of schedule concerns. Another reason is Herd fans do not travel well. Last time that game was played, Marshall was given their allotment of 5,000 tickets and only sold around 2,500 of them. That in itself wouldn't have been such a problem except that they waited until just a few days before the game to return the unsold tickets with the result being WVU was stuck with unsold tickets that otherwise could have been sold. The athletic department folks were quite upset by that.

As for the playing in Texas comment, it is very profitable to play in that conference. League revenue and Tier 3 income alone make up $41 million of WVU's $94 million athletic budget, making it one of the best funded athletic programs in the country.

Just stop. You're not welcome here.

Chris, how do you delete your own account on here? I have enjoyed my time with herdnation for a long time but this last 6 months has gotten out of hand with new members causing arguments etc. Not something I want to deal with. Pm me if that's more appropriate, thanks.

Chris, how do you delete your own account on here? I have enjoyed my time with herdnation for a long time but this last 6 months has gotten out of hand with new members causing arguments etc. Not something I want to deal with. Pm me if that's more appropriate, thanks.

These "new" members have been here for years and years before you. The problem exists with you and not the "new" members.

But, hey, I recommend leaving. You never know when that chlamydia will come back, and I wouldn't want to distract you from treating it.

Why do you have to deal with it? Sounds like a quitter attitude to me. Have you considered actually paying for a premium membership? They argue over there as well. I've never encountered a message board where there's no arguments, but if I ever find one, I'll let you know about it. I think you need your own little safe space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT