ADVERTISEMENT

If we end up with a P4

Funny.

And while UCF laughable “national championship” and the whole Power 6 idiocy has been funny from afar, understand that this silliness will be right in our faces soon, as WVU will be relegated to the AAC, and the Gold Card Fred-Bobs who call into Crap-ridi’s and Weekley’s shows will spew out a steady diet of how beating Memphis or Cincinnati is just like beating Alabama or Ohio State. A blast from the past of Crap-ridi telling the simple minded that beating Rutgers and Temple was significant back in the Fat Donnie era.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19MU88
Funny thing about the old Big East is wvu only outright won it like twice.
Every other time they shared it with someone but just happened to finish higher ranked.

I think wvu and Notre Dame might be headed to the ACC as football membership only, wvu goes back to big east in basketball.

I think wvu and Notre Dame might be headed to the ACC as football membership only, wvu goes back to big east in basketball.
ND is already in the ACC for all sports other than football. Unless ND absolutely has no choice, but to join a conference in football they won't. They'll never willingly share their NBC money and they are always in the playoff discussion even though they've been shown as fraud every year.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
ND is already in the ACC for all sports other than football. Unless ND absolutely has no choice, but to join a conference in football they won't. They'll never willingly share their NBC money and they are always in the playoff discussion even though they've been shown as fraud every year.
Clarifying-Note Dame stays with a similar agreement. I think wvu stands a shot for a limited ACC membership or agreement.

I think the big boys know the playoff is going to expand and conferences like the SEC want to take up playoff spots. I think it will go to 8 and them maybe more teams eventually. You could see a conference like the SEC taking 4 teams to a 8 team playoff.

Clarifying-Note Dame stays with a similar agreement. I think wvu stands a shot for a limited ACC membership or agreement.

I think the big boys know the playoff is going to expand and conferences like the SEC want to take up playoff spots. I think it will go to 8 and them maybe more teams eventually. You could see a conference like the SEC taking 4 teams to a 8 team playoff.
In reading the discussions on the Rivals Mainboard it would seem that the ACC leadership isn't as opposed to adding WVU as they were in the past. Who knows how more favorable they actually are.

If Coach K and Roy Williams were not retired/retiring I would almost bet Kansas would be in over WVU. Back around 2011is when all this stuff started they were both very vocal along with Boeheim with bringing in basketball schools to set up a pod system within the ACC.

I could see the ACC adding Baylor because of their basketball and their football isn't horrible.

Bottom line is that all of this is insane and is much like the NFL draft. It takes one team making one move that no one saw coming and then it's a free-for-all with all predictions going out the window. For example UCF stealing a spot.

Does wvu add as much to the ACC to get them to re-negotiate their TV contract?
Notre Dame, for all their faults and annoying over awe inspiring, would most certainly add value to the ACC.
I imagine wvu isn't the only one courting the ACC and it'll come down to several factors which revolve entirely around how much money they have/can make and plenty of schools can generate more in multiple areas.

If you're right, that'll suck for wvu, who'll likely not get as much as everyone else since they'd be a football only member.

In reading the discussions on the Rivals Mainboard it would seem that the ACC leadership isn't as opposed to adding WVU as they were in the past. Who knows how more favorable they actually are.

If Coach K and Roy Williams were not retired/retiring I would almost bet Kansas would be in over WVU. Back around 2011is when all this stuff started they were both very vocal along with Boeheim with bringing in basketball schools to set up a pod system within the ACC.

I could see the ACC adding Baylor because of their basketball and their football isn't horrible.

Bottom line is that all of this is insane and is much like the NFL draft. It takes one team making one move that no one saw coming and then it's a free-for-all with all predictions going out the window. For example UCF stealing a spot.

I was actually thinking who else that's already a P5, could bring more value to the ACC with Notre Dame and Baylor was someone I thought would be another. Only problem is the travel.

Some have talked about the Big 10 poaching UVA and UNC, both are AAU and both make lots of money. The Big 10 adding Rutgers showed football/basketball wasn't high on their list for an invite, but UVA and UNC put the Big 10 in the south for recruiting among other things.

Its going to be unpredictable for the next few weeks, with several schools no doubt placing calls to the ACC and Big 10...and the very real first dominos to fall being a P5 relegated to G5 status.

I don't even think its over...watch the SEC take the top ACC programs only and round it to 20...at this point anything's possible.

Funny thing about the old Big East is wvu only outright won it like twice.
Every other time they shared it with someone but just happened to finish higher ranked.

There was one year, maybe the year we best Louisville, I swear that like half the conference (4 of 8) were “Big East Co-Champs”.

Demographics is destiny.

WVU brings very little to the table for the ACC.

As Tony Kornheiser says “the answer to all your questions is money”. In this cast, TV network money.

West Virginia:

- three states actually lost population, 2010-20. Illinois and Mississippi, less than .2%, and West Virginia, with nearly .5%.
- the smallest state to have a P5 program
- only Hawaii and Wyoming, in both cases the school being the only public college in the state, are smaller and have a I-A/FCS program at all.
- projected to lose another 300,000 people by 2030.
- the 4th oldest state, only the three north New England states have an older population.
- last in median income
- last in number of persons with high speed internet (internet streaming will be big part of next TV deal system)
- LARGEST TV market is ours. It is now 75th (it was 40th when the first list was made in 1968). 426K TV homes, nearly a third of those in Ohio or Kentucky, and the area with the most Marshall fans, obviously. That is 0.34% of the US population. Wheeling is 114K, half of those in Ohio, 0.1%; Beckley is 98K, 0.09%; Clarksburg is 84K, 0.07%; Parkersburg is 51K, 0.04%. Much of the state gets its TV from Pittsburgh or Washington, where the WV part is less than 5% of the total population.

Add to that WVU fan and student behavior and WVU limited academic standing, and the answer to X or WVU for the ACC, is always going to be X. Always. Which is why WVU will be in the AAC, or some similar new deal. With the exception of ECU, the AAC is team in, but not significant in, big cities. WVU has a similar amount of fans. Similar resources.

And before somebody says, “But Marshall is in the same boat”. No, we are not even in the same ocean. We have more fans than most CUSA/SBC/MAC programs, a lot more. And we have already figured out how to make it work in a TV deal that pays out in Wendy’s discount coupons. And are not trying to beat Texas or even Louisville. Just UTEP and WKU.

ADVERTISEMENT