ADVERTISEMENT

I'm hearing resolution is near

Now they can do their jobs and TEACH
2335781-obamamad.jpg

Carmichael and Armstead are saying they have no clue where governor is getting money. Goodness...could Justice have made these promises without even consulting house and senate leadership? What a sh** show.

Carmichael and Armstead are saying they have no clue where governor is getting money. Goodness...could Justice have made these promises without even consulting house and senate leadership? What a sh** show.

I wish he would have stayed Democrat. Maybe he'll go independent.

Senate President Mitch Carmichael, speaking outside the Senate chamber after Justice made his announcement, was still trying to figure out the revenue maneuver.

“There’s some incredibly troubling inconsistencies with the message,” said Carmichael, R-Jackson. “As always, we will from a reasonable, adult perspective evaluate this proposal that he’s put forth.

“But the inconsistencies as it relates to previous statements, previous announcements, previous positions is just incredibly troubling. And so we want to be respectful but be very diligent to evaluate the numbers.”

Tim Armstead
House Speaker Tim Armstead, also speaking shortly after Justice’s announcement, said lawmakers had wanted raises to be bigger if the state could find the means.

“We want to look at where the governor is coming up with the additional revenue,” Armstead said.

http://wvmetronews.com/2018/02/27/j...ovide-pay-raises-for-teachers-public-workers/

WV is a shit show. Sorry, but it is. My home state is a shit show.

Justice pulled the same thing last year with his tax reform package. He pushed for months on his package and just when the state was going to shut down because Republicans wouldn't go for it, he revises the revenue estimates and makes it work.

He just creates fictitious revenue when he gets in a bind. Hopefully the revenue does go up and bails him out, but I prefer to be conservative when dealing with revenue appropriations so we don't find ourselves a year from now in statewide budget cuts.

5% pay raise?

That's crumbs! ~ Greed, bucky, dherd, Cuntry89, & Nancy

I'm on a group text of about 35 teachers. The 5% proposal by Justice was met by widespread approval and jubilation. Not a single person was unhappy by it. Not only was it not expected, if PEIA was not touched a 1% raise would have gone through without the bat of an eye. Make no mistake, this is about PEIA.

But within 15 minutes of the release they discovered that the House Chairman and the Senate President released statements that contradicted Justice's optimism and assertion that this was met by approval by legislative leaders. So since the state is not a monarchy and this still needs to pass legislative approval, this promise is nowhere near a done deal.

Then we discover that the main reason for teacher discontent...finding a permanent funding mechanism for PEIA...was not met. Instead a task force would be set up to look into it.

So the fact that teachers have been made these promises in the past that never came to fruition, and given the understanding that PEIA has been an issue for years and have been left unaddressed by the legislature, there's not a lot of trust out there.

The teachers are back in force at the capitol again today and I think we'll see where the legislature really stands.

Now I'm going to make some of you guys happy. I'm hearing that the state is threatening a statewide injunction that could be met with fines of up to $500 per day if the teachers don't return. I'm not sure if that's a hollow threat or not. We'll see.

But from where I stand if the legislature is inactive today on Jusice's promise, this will get real interesting. But again...many will spin this to say teachers are unhappy and greedy with the 5% raise and want more. That would be so far from the truth and anyone with their finger on the pulse of this and possesses a modicum of fair thinking know that isn't true.

Meanwhile every junior in the state where I live was taking the ACT yesterday at their respective high school. The state expects a 95% participation rate at every high school.

When is WV ever going to learn and move forward? While the teacher there were walking out and bickering with the inept politicians there, that is what their regional neighbors are doing. Educating and helping their kids move on to bigger and better things.

II'm hearing that the state is threatening a statewide injunction that could be met with fines of up to $500 per day if the teachers don't return. I'm not sure if that's a hollow threat or not. We'll see.

Of course it's a hollow threat. You all have the legislature by the balls. They (the legislature) knows the public overwhelmingly supports the teachers and that is their only leverage at this point, to scare the teachers.

West Virginia is a 3rd-World country.

Dumb, rich oligarch runs the place, making inane and illogical promises while the employees of the dumb, rich oligarch get excited.

Proletariat hardest hit, actually employees of private business are shafted with added costs and their children continue to get one of the worst educations available.

West Virginia is a 3rd-World country.

Dumb, rich oligarch runs the place, making inane and illogical promises while the employees of the dumb, rich oligarch get excited.

Proletariat hardest hit, actually employees of private business are shafted with added costs and their children continue to get one of the worst educations available.
It is the closest thing we have to a third world country here.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I'm on a group text of about 35 teachers. The 5% proposal by Justice was met by widespread approval and jubilation. Not a single person was unhappy by it. Not only was it not expected, if PEIA was not touched a 1% raise would have gone through without the bat of an eye. Make no mistake, this is about PEIA.

But within 15 minutes of the release they discovered that the House Chairman and the Senate President released statements that contradicted Justice's optimism and assertion that this was met by approval by legislative leaders. So since the state is not a monarchy and this still needs to pass legislative approval, this promise is nowhere near a done deal.

Then we discover that the main reason for teacher discontent...finding a permanent funding mechanism for PEIA...was not met. Instead a task force would be set up to look into it.

So the fact that teachers have been made these promises in the past that never came to fruition, and given the understanding that PEIA has been an issue for years and have been left unaddressed by the legislature, there's not a lot of trust out there.

The teachers are back in force at the capitol again today and I think we'll see where the legislature really stands.

Now I'm going to make some of you guys happy. I'm hearing that the state is threatening a statewide injunction that could be met with fines of up to $500 per day if the teachers don't return. I'm not sure if that's a hollow threat or not. We'll see.

But from where I stand if the legislature is inactive today on Jusice's promise, this will get real interesting. But again...many will spin this to say teachers are unhappy and greedy with the 5% raise and want more. That would be so far from the truth and anyone with their finger on the pulse of this and possesses a modicum of fair thinking know that isn't true.
Have teachers been getting paid during this walkout?

Have teachers been getting paid during this walkout?

So far because the counties have been dismissing school so they would have to be made up. Days are built into the school year and at the end that can be used to make up days. When the counties no longer close the schools, then pay will be lost.

They are setting up a special panel to review it.
Good lord, you all can’t be as dumb as you act.
idiot, i knew the answer, just as GK summed it up. rhetorical.

it'd pay you to wait prior to posting sometimes to avoid proving yourself the idiot we thought you to be. and, if you think this "special panel" which the governor referred to as a task force is sitting well with the teachers (obviously, you did or you wouldn't have stated it like it was some monumental step in the right direction, which it's not), it proves how out of touch you really are with this whole thing.

Meanwhile every junior in the state where I live was taking the ACT yesterday at their respective high school. The state expects a 95% participation rate at every high school.

When is WV ever going to learn and move forward? While the teacher there were walking out and bickering with the inept politicians there, that is what their regional neighbors are doing. Educating and helping their kids move on to bigger and better things.
i was going to blast your ass and show you the salary discrepancy between WV and NC, which would, in my mind, have been to the benefit of NC. damn, NC's average teacher salary and average starting teacher salary are both lower the WV's.

i was going to blast your ass and show you the salary discrepancy between WV and NC, which would, in my mind, have been to the benefit of NC. damn, NC's average teacher salary and average starting teacher salary are both lower the WV's.
True. But, teachers make more in certain counties in NC. But, WV pay is not that out of line and WV benefits cost less as well.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
They are setting up a special panel to review it.
Good lord, you all can’t be as dumb as you act.

Unfortunately we were being told by the teacher on this board that a “promise of fixing in the future” wasn’t enough for his comrades.

Of course we knew it wasn’t going to be fixed immediately the way these idiots were demanding. Decades of sticking their head in the sand for a bankrupt program. Their walk out was always about the money. It’s what I and others were suggesting. Good luck to the students of WV who continue to fall behind in their education.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT