ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm not a teacher for the money."

My wife is a teacher and she truly doesn't do it for the money. But some of her coworkers are some of the most annoying people with this shit on the planet. Griping about pay and such all the time.

Well, you know that going into it? Why the hell complain and go do something else?

They get mad at her because she doesn't go along with that.

Damn, I know putting up with mush brains and their mush brain parents would be a pain. But, cmon.

I swear when I retire, I am going to get a teaching gig and my goal will be to get fired from it. I want to go in there for the hell of it and be the most unpolitically correct SOB there is and sit back and enjoy the fireworks. Fire me and give them the finger and walk out.

I have been to her work parties and you would think greed and dtard reproduced and their offspring were all the teachers in the room.

I swear when I retire, I am going to get a teaching gig and my goal will be to get fired from it. I want to go in there for the hell of it and be the most unpolitically correct SOB there is and sit back and enjoy the fireworks. Fire me and give them the finger and walk out.

In other words, you don't care about the kids, you just want to flip someone off. You really are a cheetos puff.

I think it's because he had to shutter his business under Obama and knows he'd be doing really well in today's economy if he'd had the balls to stick it out.

I think it's because he had to shutter his business under Obama and knows he'd be doing really well in today's economy if he'd had the balls to stick it out.

Along with murox, you should try to experience some truth once in your life time, liar.

"Give me more money or I'm going to walk out and protest until you do."

BONUS: "It's all about the kids."

Gotta love teachers.

You don't have a grasp on the issue. Teachers aren't doing this for a pay increase. That's just uninformed. They're walking out because they're facing massive cuts in income due to large increases in health insurance cost. Pay raises have been passed over by the legislature many times in the past for the promise of affordable benefits. Now they're reneging on that promise. This is no different than a pay cut.

You couple this with the fact that the premiums are based on an actuarially unsound basis, using outside income to determine rates, along with an intrusive invasion of privacy by the state in requiring disclosure of outside income...you have the basis of unhappy people.

Honestly...I think the issue you have is that the profession is comprised of predominantly women. Based on some of your comments over the years you don't respect women very well. I spent 21 years in the industry that you're in. I've spent 17 years total in teaching. I've met harder working, more intelligent and qualified people in the teaching industry than I met in the insurance industry. Your perception of teachers is quite frankly off base.

Most of you guys wouldn't last a day in a classroom.

Last edited:

When I was 19, I lasted an entire summer teaching high school seniors a course that they had failed the previous spring, prohibiting them from graduating.

I then lasted an additional 15 minutes with a couple of them on certain evenings.

By the way, you just bitch-slapped Murox so hard that all of the Botox flew out of his face.

You don't have a grasp on the issue. Teachers aren't doing this for a pay increase. That's just uninformed. They're walking out because they're facing massive cuts in income due to large increases in health insurance cost. Pay raises have been passed over by the legislature many times in the past for the promise of affordable benefits. Now they're reneging on that promise. This is no different than a pay cut.

You couple this with the fact that the premiums are based on an actuarially unsound bases, using outside income to determine rates, along with an intrusive invasion of privacy by the state in requiring disclosure of outside income...you have the bases of unhappy people.

Honestly...I think the issue you have is that the profession is comprised of predominantly women. Based on some of your comments over the years you don't respect women very well. I spent 21 years in the industry that you're in. I've spent 17 years total in teaching. I've met harder working, more intelligent and qualified people in the teaching industry than I met in the insurance industry. Your perception of teachers is quite frankly off base.

I hate to say this but WV has given the farm away with the insurance rates. Not fault of the teachers but the low rates and all the retirees on low rates have caught up with the state.

It was bound to fail. I know what people are paying there. My parents are on it. They pay about $125 a month. I am thankful for them. The flip side is it is an unsustainable business model. It is near a ponzi scheme and now as the state gets older, tax base is shrunk, bonds can't be passed, and two generations left they can't pay for it anymore. You could see this coming 20 years ago.

WV has always offered employees great deals on health insurance, but now it caught up with them. It sucks and it is messy. But, that needed to be fixed awhile back but nobody is going to want to pay more.

It is like the dumb thing WV does like let's give state employees off the day to go vote. You can only do stupid things like that for so long and pay for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: marshallisqbu

You couple this with the fact that the premiums are based on an actuarially unsound bases, using outside income to determine rates, along with an intrusive invasion of privacy by the state in requiring disclosure of outside income...you have the basis of unhappy people.

I fully understand the issue. Literally everyone across every industry in country is facing the same issue of losing income because of health insurance costs skyrocketing. Do we want to have the discussion on the stance of the teacher's unions with Obamacare? It's an unfortunate fact of life that all of us are dealing with, and taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook for keeping teachers' health insurance premiums level while theirs keep going up.

Another issue is the fact that many of these teachers are walking out on their kids to stand and protest for their benefits. This flies in the face of their claim of "doing it for the kids." Listen, no one expects teachers to be the some paragon of altruism, so they can drop the nonsense that they only do it for the kids. No one does anything just for others, so lets not pretend otherwise.

But maybe you're right. Maybe instead of the above this is all just subconscious mysogyny.

I fully understand the issue. Literally everyone across every industry in country is facing the same issue of losing income because of health insurance costs skyrocketing. Do we want to have the discussion on the stance of the teacher's unions with Obamacare? It's an unfortunate fact of life that all of us are dealing with, and taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook for keeping teachers' health insurance premiums level while theirs keep going up.

Another issue is the fact that many of these teachers are walking out on their kids to stand and protest for their benefits. This flies in the face of their claim of "doing it for the kids." Listen, no one expects teachers to be the some paragon of altruism, so they can drop the nonsense that they only do it for the kids. No one does anything just for others, so lets not pretend otherwise.

But maybe you're right. Maybe instead of the above this is all just subconscious mysogyny.

I fully understand the issue

No, you don't. You've never had to worry about making ends meet. Ever.
The average pay for a preschool teacher in 2014 was a little over $29,000 and the starting pay was less than $18,000. What's the last year your income was less than $29,000 per year?

The average pay for a preschool teacher in 2014 was a little over $29,000 and the starting pay was less than $18,000. What's the last year your income was less than $29,000 per year?

Not saying this isn't true, but provide a link or something.

"Way less than $18k" annually for starting pay? That must be in some POdunk area of West by God Virginia. That sounds more like a teacher's aide pay.

In the school system where I live, I know a couple teachers who have their master's and about a decade of experience making over $65K annually. They also had an option to take more classes through tOSU for free and go up further in pay. One makes just under $70K/yr. They're not rich by any means, but not poverty level as you suggest.

And Rox...I hesitate to continue, because every time I’ve been around you you seem like a really good guy. Part of me is thinking that this is just a troll attempt to get a rise out of people. But since you originated the thread and took a direct shot at teachers...and I’m a teacher...and my wife is a teacher...and my daughter is a teacher...then of course I’m going to take it personally.

So let’s examine your points. The first thing you present is that taxpayers shouldn’t be on the hook for teacher’s healthcare. You could extend that thought to every job in existence. I say let’s do away with pharmacist. What good are they? The doctor is the one that prescribes the medicine. Why not allow them to hire a pharmacy tech to administer the medicine right at the doctor’s office where it’s prescribed? I mean...anyone can count pills right? That way I wouldn’t have to pay an inflated price for medicine in order to assure the income of a pharmacist.

Why are we paying for the commission and income of insurance salesmen? My insurance premiums is greatly inflated in order to pay the first year commission and renewal stream of the agent. I pay for life insurance. My premium cost is inflated because 70% to 90% of my first year premium goes to pay the administrative loads and commission of the agent. Why do I have to pay such exorbitant cost on my auto insurance? So the agent can enjoy a steady renewal stream year after year that he does very little to earn after the initial application and underwriting? And God forbid that I’m ever in the market for private health insurance. Because every time I paid a premium I’d grimace because a part of my hard earned money is going to support the agent I haven’t seen since he sold the policy, who is now either at the YMCA in the middle of the day or at a tanning salon. Everybody who works passes on the cost of their income to the consumer whether it’s called taxes or just the price of buying the product. Either way the money’s green.

And your next point...that teachers are walking out of school on their kids. Who? What counties? The counties this Friday that did a walk in where they came to school a half hour early to peacefully protest and then returned to the classroom to teach a full day without a single instructional minute being lost? Or is it the school systems that shut down for the day that did it in a manner that it could be made up through the built in OS days without a single loss of an instructional minute? Look...I personally sat in meetings with teachers who talked about how to make their point without jeopardizing either the instructional time or safety of the students. You can do your best to paint this in a way that gives the appearance of hypocrisy. But any reasonable person armed with the facts and not tainted with a previously held disrespect for teachers understands that every effort is being made to assure students aren’t being hurt. Trust me...this isn’t a selfish act and money grab by teachers without regard to the expense of the taxpayer. This is simply teachers worried about how they are going to pay their bills and support their families. They are entitled to that concern.

And your final point...that teachers claim that they do it for the kids and this somehow flies in the face of their altruistic claims. Really? You want to go there? Friedrich Nietzsche and Thomas Hobbes philosophy aside, who is more altruistic? The teacher who deals with students on a daily basis who battle poverty, parents devoured by drugs, students ripped from their families and placed in foster care, fathers that have murdered their mothers, girls that have been sexually abused, special needs children, autustc children, and children with Obsessive Defiant Disorder. That’s just in my class alone. Should I really accept that claim from someone who has stated that they dislike children and gets pissed off because they have to endure the misery of having to eat in a restaurant with some kid making noise in the next booth? I mean...yeah...the philosophers I mentioned above have built a case for the non existence of any true unselfish acts in life, but where I come from people are judged on their acts and not their intentions. And I see teachers in there every day dealing with a multitude of issues, taking money out of their own pockets to buy a coat or give a toy at Christmas. So excuse me if I give more credence to the actual deeds of the teacher without diminishing their intentions with some dead guys philosophy.

Wait until you reconcile taxes in 2019 and realize you have no more deductions to claim.

Not saying this isn't true, but provide a link or something.

"Way less than $18k" annually for starting pay? That must be in some POdunk area of West by God Virginia. That sounds more like a teacher's aide pay.

In the school system where I live, I know a couple teachers who have their master's and about a decade of experience making over $65K annually. They also had an option to take more classes through tOSU for free and go up further in pay. One makes just under $70K/yr. They're not rich by any means, but not poverty level as you suggest.

In fairness, we are talking about WV teachers and not Ohio teachers. Ohio teachers aren’t striking.

You are correct...no WV school system pays the teachers that low. The average teacher’s salary in WV is around $47,000. The starting salaries are around $29,000 to $31,000 depending on the county. My wife has 34 years experience and makes right at $50,000. That’s just not a lot of money for that amount of years. A masters degree would only raise that around $1500 the last I checked.

Here’s a link that provides income info for 2017...

https://wvde.state.wv.us/finance/files/Data/2016-17/salary-schedules.html

In fairness, we are talking about WV teachers and not Ohio teachers. Ohio teachers aren’t striking.

You are correct...no WV school system pays the teachers that low. The average teacher’s salary in WV is around $47,000. The starting salaries are around $29,000 to $31,000 depending on the county. My wife has 34 years experience and makes right at $50,000. That’s just not a lot of money for that amount of years. A masters degree would only raise that around $1500 the last I checked.

My guess is your wife would make 80-90k in most of the suburbs around Columbus. Dublin, Westerville, Hilliard olentangy.

My guess is your wife would make 80-90k in most of the suburbs around Columbus. Dublin, Westerville, Hilliard olentangy.

Spot on with your prediction. Granted, it's a lot more expensive to live in those areas than any rural area in WV, but still, way better compensation for years of experience.

Thank you for helping me prove how full of shit @extragreen is

Extra said PRESCHOOL teacher not school teacher.

If a preschool teacher works in the public school systems they’re on the same pay scale as any other teacher. If they work in a private preschool it’s likely they make much less.

And Rox...I hesitate to continue, because every time I’ve been around you you seem like a really good guy. Part of me is thinking that this is just a troll attempt to get a rise out of people. But since you originated the thread and took a direct shot at teachers...and I’m a teacher...and my wife is a teacher...and my daughter is a teacher...then of course I’m going to take it personally.

So let’s examine your points. The first thing you present is that taxpayers shouldn’t be on the hook for teacher’s healthcare. You could extend that thought to every job in existence. I say let’s do away with pharmacist. What good are they? The doctor is the one that prescribes the medicine. Why not allow them to hire a pharmacy tech to administer the medicine right at the doctor’s office where it’s prescribed? I mean...anyone can count pills right? That way I wouldn’t have to pay an inflated price for medicine in order to assure the income of a pharmacist.

Why are we paying for the commission and income of insurance salesmen? My insurance premiums is greatly inflated in order to pay the first year commission and renewal stream of the agent. I pay for life insurance. My premium cost is inflated because 70% to 90% of my first year premium goes to pay the administrative loads and commission of the agent. Why do I have to pay such exorbitant cost on my auto insurance? So the agent can enjoy a steady renewal stream year after year that he does very little to earn after the initial application and underwriting? And God forbid that I’m ever in the market for private health insurance. Because every time I paid a premium I’d grimace because a part of my hard earned money is going to support the agent I haven’t seen since he sold the policy, who is now either at the YMCA in the middle of the day or at a tanning salon. Everybody who works passes on the cost of their income to the consumer whether it’s called taxes or just the price of buying the product. Either way the money’s green.

And your next point...that teachers are walking out of school on their kids. Who? What counties? The counties this Friday that did a walk in where they came to school a half hour early to peacefully protest and then returned to the classroom to teach a full day without a single instructional minute being lost? Or is it the school systems that shut down for the day that did it in a manner that it could be made up through the built in OS days without a single loss of an instructional minute? Look...I personally sat in meetings with teachers who talked about how to make their point without jeopardizing either the instructional time or safety of the students. You can do your best to paint this in a way that gives the appearance of hypocrisy. But any reasonable person armed with the facts and not tainted with a previously held disrespect for teachers understands that every effort is being made to assure students aren’t being hurt. Trust me...this isn’t a selfish act and money grab by teachers without regard to the expense of the taxpayer. This is simply teachers worried about how they are going to pay their bills and support their families. They are entitled to that concern.

And your final point...that teachers claim that they do it for the kids and this somehow flies in the face of their altruistic claims. Really? You want to go there? Friedrich Nietzsche and Thomas Hobbes philosophy aside, who is more altruistic? The teacher who deals with students on a daily basis who battle poverty, parents devoured by drugs, students ripped from their families and placed in foster care, fathers that have murdered their mothers, girls that have been sexually abused, special needs children, autustc children, and children with Obsessive Defiant Disorder. That’s just in my class alone. Should I really accept that claim from someone who has stated that they dislike children and gets pissed off because they have to endure the misery of having to eat in a restaurant with some kid making noise in the next booth? I mean...yeah...the philosophers I mentioned above have built a case for the non existence of any true unselfish acts in life, but where I come from people are judged on their acts and not their intentions. And I see teachers in there every day dealing with a multitude of issues, taking money out of their own pockets to buy a coat or give a toy at Christmas. So excuse me if I give more credence to the actual deeds of the teacher without diminishing their intentions with some dead guys philosophy.

Wow, that's long. I'm running short on time today -- the tanning salon(?) and gym call -- so I'll make a couple points and read and respond to the rest later.

First, I didn't say taxpayers shouldn't pay for teachers healthcare. I said taxpayers shouldn't have to keep teachers' healthcare costs level while everyone else's are skyrocketing. Public employees already get pensions and better benefits than almost everyone in the private sector. Why should taxpayers have to absorb premium increases in addition to having to pay more for their own healthcare.

I'm not even sure where you're going with the insurance commission analogy. I read it twice and still can't figure out what it has to do with anything. Everyone is worried about how they're going to pay their bills and support their families. But WV is broke and can't afford to start giving public employees (teachers or otherwise) raises and level premium health insurance. It's just not sustainable.

Are you comparing preschool teachers to public school teachers in terms of qualifications, certifications, and necessary requirements? Of course, a preschool teacher's pay is going t be lower.

Are you really trying to compare that to a public school teacher? You were doing that to try to have gotcha moment.

In many preschools you don't even have to have a college degree to work there.

Here is some advice to teachers: If you want to make more money don't be a teacher. Come on out in the private sector. Many won't make it and others would crawl back to teaching.

But, let's think about this and remember I am the son and the husband of public school teachers.

My wife has a masters and about 15 years experience. She was also a testing coordinator and pulled some extra duties. She was pulling in nearly 60k a year before she gave some of that up. She has some teachers she worked with that had about the same experience. She worked extra hours running some of the clubs and doing testing.

One of her friend's didn't do all that. Same amount of education and experience. the other teacher did have her National Board Desertification.

Her friend goes in at 7 leaves by 3, maybe 3:30. Does some emails from home. Does a few extra things like graduation and events throughout the year. Has June through August off. Off two weeks at Christmas. A spring break. The major holidays off. Can build up sick time and vacation time. Can bank those and carry them over which doesn't happen a lot in the private world. Pays low health care cost. Has fantastic retirement system. A lot of job security and tenure.

That is basically a part time gig for nearly 60 grand a year.

The biggest headache would be dealing with the kids, parents, and admin. But, many teachers blow that shit off and milk it . My wife wil tell you that and she is a teacher. Go in a 7 leave at 3 basically for 8 months out of there once you take away all your Christmas time, spring break, and holidays. With some of the best benefits there are.

I get what Rox is saying. I am in the private sector. You don't think we have employees hurting because of health care cost , wages, benefits.

Shut the **** Up Already, teachers.

Frankly, if I were the big fat governor up there I would give them the Ronald Reagan and when they walked out I would fire them. You would not hold my state hostage. Back to work or you are gone. We can negotiate in good faith and try to solve the problem, but if you walk out, you are done.

Last edited:
I think folks misunderstood, because it is irrelevant to this discussion. This discussion was about public school teacher pay. The salaries of private day care employees has no bearing.
I completely agree and that’s what extra is known for but his post was factual all the same. Attack him for its relevance to the discussion at hand

Extra said PRESCHOOL teacher not school teacher.

Then he deliberately chose the area of teaching which pays the least.

That was his entire point. I don't know what you and others tried to attack his post

He cherry picked to exaggerate the disparity between teachers having low pay and health insurance costs. He knew damn well what he was doing. Preschool teachers typically do not have to possess anywhere near the same level of education or certifications, so he is essentially comparing apples to oranges.

He's an idiot and you are too for defending him. Please don't tell me you are that naive that you couldn't see through his bullshit?

I completely agree and that’s what extra is known for but his post was factual all the same. Attack him for its relevance to the discussion at hand
But public preschool teachers in WV don't make that salary. So in a discussion about WV punlic teacher pay, unless he specifies that he is using Nationwide averages for private daycares, it is reasonable to assume he is talking about WV public schools.

Then he deliberately chose the area of teaching which pays the least.

He cherry picked to exaggerate the disparity between teachers having low pay and health insurance costs. He knew damn well what he was doing. Preschool teachers typically do not have to possess anywhere near the same level of education or certifications, so he is essentially comparing apples to oranges.

He's an idiot and you are too for defending him. Please don't tell me you are that naive that you couldn't see through his bullshit?
Exactly.

ADVERTISEMENT