ADVERTISEMENT

I'm sorry but not doing a National Search should have people outraged

Spears probably thought we were Duke, and Dan has been pouring all his vast knowledge, of how to recruit, develop players, woe the fans and win games, into his assistants so that when ready they can be called upon……

I love it, this has been Marshall’s way for the last 20+ years at least in football and basketball, settling for mediocre, you honestly can’t make this stuff up…

Way to win the donors and alum support and draw new excitement and change to the program…

We are...Bush League

I think even people not from WV come to Marshall and get sucked into our backward ways.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
As I said in another forum, I think this was done for two reasons -

1. To appease the donors and DD backers who wanted him to remain on board. It was always said in some circles that Dan wanted Corny to be his successor. Thus, this could be portrayed as honoring Dans wishes, all the while have a coaching change. It doesn't upset the donors, so they don't take their money and go home. Sadly, Marshall has to keep donors/money in mind when these situations arise since we aren't awash in cash.
2. It keeps important pieces of the team at Marshall, namely Martin and Oak. Without them our team is totally gutted. Yes, Corny and staff will have to re-tool the roster with portal kids, but keeping those two makes the task a bit more manageable.
Corny has two years to prove his worth. If he succeeds, that's awesome. If he doesn't then Spears does a true national search. jmho

I am at peace with this hire. Let’s see what Corny can do. If he falls flat then we are no worse than having 2 more years of DD. None of us know how this will work out but I’m hoping for the best. I will say if this doesn’t work out I hope they do a regional search next

Last edited:
Spears probably thought we were Duke, and Dan has been pouring all his vast knowledge, of how to recruit, develop players, woe the fans and win games, into his assistants so that when ready they can be called upon……

I love it, this has been Marshall’s way for the last 20+ years at least in football and basketball, settling for mediocre, you honestly can’t make this stuff up…

Way to win the donors and alum support and draw new excitement and change to the program…
That's the rub. We did this to appease the donors because Corny was always Dan's choice. I for one couldn't care any less about these big donors that continue to hold us back. What good is their money doing us if perpetuates bad hires?

Our administration continues to underperform. I love what we're doing in WBB and Soccer, but if those two programs are your top programs then something is broken.

Marshall always looks for the cheapest and most comfortable choice and then we keep those choices far too long. I miss the 90s when it was championship or bust.

Any chance this is Dan's way of walking away without having to pay out his remaining years on contract? "I will step down and you wont have to pay me, IF, you hire my assistant..."
He had no buyout. The contract was essentially a promised year to year for 3 years.

Also Dan didn't step down. He was forced out and allegedly he threw a fit.

He had no buyout. The contract was essentially a promised year to year for 3 years.

Also Dan didn't step down. He was forced out and allegedly he threw a fit.
I thought it was curious that he didn't have anything to say about this event!

He had no buyout. The contract was essentially a promised year to year for 3 years
Where is this detail? Almost every article about his contract extension mentioned it locked him in here until 2026. Not saying your wrong, but I do wonder if the rumor of it being a "year to year for 3 years".

Serious question....doesn't Marshall have to post this job publicly and do a search because it is a state job?

Where is this detail? Almost every article about his contract extension mentioned it locked him in here until 2026. Not saying your wrong, but I do wonder if the rumor of it being a "year to year for 3 years".
It's been stated on here and HF several times over the last several months. There was no buyout.

I will be very interested in seeing the roster when Corny finishes his recruiting. Couple of frosh have already been signed, but he should have at least 4 spots to fill. Has to make these solid choices. We will all be rooting for him to succeed and win the conference next year. But I agree with all the posters who have said that we should have at least looked outside to see who was available and interested in the job. Dan probably did have significant influence in the selection process that Spears managed.

It's been stated on here and HF several times over the last several months. There was no buyout.
"Stated on here" means jackshit in most cases. I could only find one article that remotely mentioned a "year to year" by Spears, but frankly, his comment read more likely to mean we will evaluate annually the direction of the program, as the remainder of the article specifically stated, "contractually signed until 2026". I dont know. Maybe DD didn't think he would need a buyout??? Until anyone can see the contract, it's all speculation.

Regardless, it's a shame DD seemed to hold the university hostage in this way. He needed to go several years ago. And those claiming Spears "would do nothing"...well....

Serious question....doesn't Marshall have to post this job publicly and do a search because it is a state job?
No... I dont know what the specifics of WV statutes say, but most states have an "out" built in for these exact type of jobs. "Hiring of all coaches/athletic administrators is at the discretion of that particular university's board of governors" or something close to that, meaning they don't have to post million dollar jobs and take applications from any Joe Blow who thinks they can call plays because they are good at Madden.

Stated on here
In most cases you would be correct, but the posters that posted it I trust and these were in response to me getting pissed off for giving him a new deal when we had not one, but two chances to walk away cleanly. I have been told several times that there was no buyout.

In most cases you would be correct, but the posters that posted it I trust and these were in response to me getting pissed off for giving him a new deal when we had not one, but two chances to walk away cleanly. I have been told several times that there was no buyout.
There may not have been a buyout for the slim-to-no chance another team came calling and Dan decided to leave, but there would have been some sort of compensation owed to Dan for the remainder of his contract had he been let go. I highly suspect that Dan was convinced it "was time" and part of that convincing was either we will let the promised coach-in-wating finish out the rest of your contract (and you walk away quietly) or you and everyone on the bench is gone. I personally don't think Dan was ever in it for the money. At the end, I think ego and legacy became more of a driving factor in why he stayed as long as he did. Whether or not a coach not named Dean Smith or Coach K should have the kind of power to dictate their replacement is a topic for another thread.

There may not have been a buyout for the slim-to-no chance another team came calling and Dan decided to leave, but there would have been some sort of compensation owed to Dan for the remainder of his contract had he been let go
Nope. There is no buyout. It was written as three 1yr deals to be reviewed at the end of each season.

I highly suspect that Dan was convinced it "was time" and part of that convincing was either we will let the promised coach-in-wating finish out the rest of your contract (and you walk away quietly) or you and everyone on the bench is gone.
Dan wasn't convinced to step down. This split was not amicable at all. Also Corny has been the HCIW for several years. Whether this happened yesterday, next season, or the season after as Dan told his assistants that he only had two years left in him, Corny was always going to be the next coach. We made a commitment to him long before yesterday.

I can't tell you all the information, but all I can say is the situation has become toxic because of Dan's ego to the point that even Smith couldn't deal with it anymore. Brad was Dan's biggest fan and for him to do such a 180 should tell us all we need to know about Dan.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
So we have theories.

- DD may, or may not, have a contract of 2 or maybe 3 years.
- DD may, or may not, have been quasi-fired.
- DD may, or may not, have picked this guy from the end of his bench, with no head coaching experience, as his "chosen successor".
- CS, or BS, or the cabal, or an anti-cabal, may have had this or that role in that.

All we know are two things.

- Those in power lack the respect for you to tell you anything about the matter, unlike what has gone on this year, and every other year, at similar junctures at most every other public university in the country.
- No national search was conducted, and a coach with NO head coaching experience was hired.

This is a token effort.

So we have theories.

- DD may, or may not, have a contract of 2 or maybe 3 years.
- DD may, or may not, have been quasi-fired.
- DD may, or may not, have picked this guy from the end of his bench, with no head coaching experience, as his "chosen successor".
- CS, or BS, or the cabal, or an anti-cabal, may have had this or that role in that.

All we know are two things.

- Those in power lack the respect for you to tell you anything about the matter, unlike what has gone on this year, and every other year, at similar junctures at most every other public university in the country.
- No national search was conducted, and a coach with NO head coaching experience was hired.

This is a token effort.
You're making this more outlandish than it is. Dan was let go last night because Brad and Dan had differing opinions on how 2024-25 should be handled. Year in meetings happen every year with every coach. Dan like always decided to be stubborn and cost himself.

From a 30,000 foot view like someone said over on Herdfans, Corny's "deal" if you want to call it that shows that it's not really his job. If he performs then great and if not we'll be looking for our next coach during next season and he'll be let go. He's basically an interim HC getting to audition for the job. They may not have given him that title, but that is what Corny is. If he wasn't then he would have been given a real deal. Not just what Dan was getting on what the thought was his last two seasons.

Also claiming those in power don't respect us because they won't tell the public the ins and outs. That's not reality. No one does that.

I also hate the term "national search". Hardly any school does this. Most don't have the resources. Usually each AD has a short list of people they've been associated with over the years. You also post the job to see if anyone applies. No school really scours the nation for their next guy.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I also hate the term "national search". Hardly any school does this. Most don't have the resources. Usually each AD has a short list of people they've been associated with over the years. You also post the job to see if anyone applies. No school really scours the nation for their next guy.
Resources, you mean like a bag phone or enough quarters for a pay phone?

Post jobs, you mean like on Craigslist or Indeed?

No School really, you mean like no school or no school really?

I agree with most of your post, but I think I can shed some light on this topic that may help clarify things... I have a friend who is an assistant coach at a D1 basketball program currently. He has been contacted in "coaching searches" the past two years. Here is how it generally works --

1. University decides it is going to part with current coach
2. AD calls a "search coordinator" (head hunter) that specializes in coaching jobs
3. Head hunter calls agents that they work with every year to see who may be ready for a bigger job, better payday, etc. Most of these candidates are regional when it comes to mid majors (Hey, the guy at Samford is really good and looking to move up, here is his agents number, yada yada yada)
4. University picks 2-3 candidates from the list the head hunter has put together after confirming interest in the job opening.
5. University does interviews, makes and offer, knowing the candidate is likely to accept

The top 10-15 programs (Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, etc) do "National" coaching searches because they can pick from anyone anywhere from Miami to Gonzaga... Mid majors typically do "regional" coaching searches. Meaning generally the mid-atlantic and southeast in MU's case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT