ADVERTISEMENT

in defense of the truth - charles m. blow

dherd

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 23, 2007
Once again: Donald Trump is a liar.

The Department of Justice confirmed in a Friday court filing what we all knew to be true: that Trump’s slanderous assertion on Twitter in March that President Barack Obama had Trump’s “ ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower” just before the election was in fact a total fabrication.

According to the filing, both the F.B.I. and the Department of Justice’s National Security Division “confirm that they have no records related to wiretaps as described by the March 4, 2017 tweets.”

And yet, this man feels completely unbound by it. He has no respect or reverence for it. For him, honesty is an option, one that he feels no compunction to choose.

Of the statements by Trump that the fact-checking site PolitiFact has checked, just 5 percent were deemed absolutely true. Another 26 percent were just “mostly true” or “half true.” But a whopping 69 percent were found to be “mostly false,” “false” or “pants on fire,” the site’s worst rating.

Indeed, it seems that every major publication has taken a stab at trying to chronicle and explain Trump’s lying.

The Washington Post calculated that Trump made 492 false or misleading statements in his first 100 days — “That’s an average of 4.9 claims a day” — and that there were only 10 days without a single false claim. There were five days with 20 or more false claims.

“The sheer frequency, spontaneity and seeming irrelevance of his lies have no precedent. Nixon, Reagan and Clinton were protecting their reputations; Trump seems to lie for the pure joy of it.”

Trump is quite literally overwhelming our human capacities with his mendacity. It is not only hard to imagine that any person could lie this much — let alone the leader of the free world — it is also impossible for us to keep pace.

Trump’s incessant lying is obscene. It is a collapse in morality; it is an ethical assault.
... for the Trump apologists truth has become a minor inconvenience, should have us all objecting in earnest.

It seems odd that we have to defend the merits of truth, and yet we do. We must.

This is not simply about a flawed man, this is about the function of our democracy and American positioning in the world. How is one supposed to debate policy with someone who almost never tells the truth? How can a liar negotiate treaties or navigate international disputes? Without truth, everything falls apart, or more precisely, nothing can be established.

I vacillate between rage and sorrow that our country has come to such a pass. And yet, what is done is done. America made a colossal mistake, and it cannot be easily undone.

It is cold comfort that most of the country now believes that Trump isn’t a steady or moral or compassionate leader and half believe he isn’t honest, according to a Fox News Poll released last week.

But that acknowledgment doesn’t change the fact that we must develop a societal strategy for protecting the true in a post-truth world, and the first step is that we must never stop saying: Donald Trump is a liar.

http://app.nytimes.com/

Last edited:
How come you only care about the truth when it benefits your political agenda? I've never heard you libs scream for "truth" when it comes to the lies spewing out of Pelosi's, Podesta's, or a Clinton's mouth. I'm a conservative and agree that Trump is a lying douchebag. Can you do the same re: your side of the aisle?

How come you only care about the truth when it benefits your political agenda? I've never heard you libs scream for "truth" when it comes to the lies spewing out of Pelosi's, Podesta's, or a Clinton's mouth. I'm a conservative and agree that Trump is a lying douchebag. Can you do the same re: your side of the aisle?

Because the amount of lying is not even close.

If you like you plan you can keep it. If you like your doctor you can keep it. Everyone's premiums will go down 2500. Trump all of those

Easy. 70% of fact checked statements by Cheetos are mostly false or worse.
Mexico will pay for the wall.
We're going to replace Obamacare with health insurance that is better, cheaper, for everyone.
3-5 million illegal votes cost me the popular vote.
Obama had my wires tapped.
There's wide spread voter fraud.
I want to help our miners while the Democrats are blocking their healthcare.

I could add to these for hours, and you know it.

NO ONE EVER PROMISED YOU 2,500 BUT IF THEY HAD
YOU WOULD GET THE 2,500 BEFORE YOU GET YOUR WALL.

Obama cut my premiums $6300 - I must have your $2500.
your fault if your to stupid to save the money.

TRUMP SAID
“The change began with the termination of the Trans-Pacific Partnership — a 12-nation pact that would have shipped millions more jobs to other countries.”
Source: Statement

TRUTH IS
Predicting job losses or gains from a trade agreement is fairly difficult and often inaccurate but no credible analyst projected the loss of "millions" of U.S. jobs from the TPP.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims/?utm_term=.4cca1348bb29

TRUMP SAID
“The change began with the termination of the Trans-Pacific Partnership — a 12-nation pact that would have shipped millions more jobs to other countries.”

TRUTH IS
Predicting job losses or gains from a trade agreement is fairly difficult and often inaccurate but no credible analyst projected the loss of "millions" of U.S. jobs from the TPP.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-claims/?utm_term=.4cca1348bb29
I call bullshit. You probably pulled a greed and are getting subsidies or you went on your wife's plan or medicare. Birnyour premiums were not cut 6300

Reactions: ThunderCat98
In the lies department, none quite measured up to his accusation that former President Obama wiretapped Trump Tower. All but cloddish sycophants like Sean Hannity knew this was preposterous. On Friday evening (when else?) the Justice Department acknowledged in a court filing that there are no records “related to wiretaps as described by the March 4, 2017 tweets.” Presumably, some taxpayer money and government personnel were diverted to track this down, which in and of itself is reprehensible.

I call bullshit. You probably pulled a greed and are getting subsidies or you went on your wife's plan or medicare. Birnyour premiums were not cut 6300

Your employer pay part of your insurance premiums, moron?

Your employer pay part of your insurance premiums, moron?
Yeah they do and every year i get a breakdown of how much they pay and it hasn't gone down $2500. And if you're playing the well that's a subsidy game keep trying. It's a perk of employment not a tax I have no say in paying or not.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
TRUMP SAID
We have 100 million people... I call them the forgotten man, the forgotten woman. But a lot of those people, a good percentage of them, would like to have jobs, and they don’t.” Repeated on Feb. 28
Fact Checker rating: Source: Remarks

TRUTH IS
This is an absurd Four-Pinocchio claim, based on a real number. The 100 million "forgotten" that Trump refers to are based on Bureau of Labor Statistics data from 2015. It turns out that 93 percent do not want a job at all. The picture that emerges from a study of the data shows that the 95 million consists mostly of people who are retired, students, stay-at-home parents or disabled.

TRUMP SAID
We have 100 million people... I call them the forgotten man, the forgotten woman. But a lot of those people, a good percentage of them, would like to have jobs, and they don’t.” Repeated on Feb. 28
Fact Checker rating: Source: Remarks

TRUTH IS
This is an absurd Four-Pinocchio claim
, based on a real number. The 100 million "forgotten" that Trump refers to are based on Bureau of Labor Statistics data from 2015. It turns out that 93 percent do not want a job at all. The picture that emerges from a study of the data shows that the 95 million consists mostly of people who are retired, students, stay-at-home parents or disabled.
Still waiting for my $2500

Yeah they do and every year i get a breakdown of how much they pay and it hasn't gone down $2500. And if you're playing the well that's a subsidy game keep trying. It's a perk of employment not a tax I have no say in paying or not.

Yes, your health insurance is being subsidized by your employer. Your employer is paying part of your health insurance because it's a perk. They are paying for their share because they don't have to pay payroll taxes on the amount they contribute to your insurance. As a result the government is subsidizing your health insurance, and they've been doing it a long time.

Yes, your health insurance is being subsidized by your employer. Your employer is paying part of your health insurance because it's a perk. They are paying for their share because they don't have to pay payroll taxes on the amount they contribute to your insurance. As a result the government is subsidizing your health insurance, and they've been doing it a long time.
No not really. The govt never had that money to use so the govt isn't subsidizing my healthcare unlike yours

Jan. 26 “We've taken in tens of thousands of people. We know nothing about them. They can say they vet them. They didn't vet them. They have no papers. How can you vet somebody when you don't know anything about them and you have no papers? How do you vet them? You can't.” (Vetting lasts up to two years.)

Jan. 26 “I cut off hundreds of millions of dollars off one particular plane, hundreds of millions of dollars in a short period of time. It wasn't like I spent, like, weeks, hours, less than hours, and many, many hundreds of millions of dollars. And the plane's going to be better.” (Most of the cuts were already planned.)

LESS THAN HOURS WOULD BE CORRECT.

Jan. 28 “The coverage about me in the @nytimes and the @washingtonpost has been so false and angry that the Times actually apologized to its dwindling subscribers and readers.” (It never apologized.)

FEB. 4 “After being forced to apologize for its bad and inaccurate coverage of me after winning the election, the FAKE NEWS @nytimes is still lost!” (It never apologized.)

Because the amount of lying is not even close.

That pathetic excuse is the reason you won't admit when your side is lying?

You're what, at least 60 years old? Yet you truly act like a 12-year old prepubescent boy who's very confused about his sexuality.

TRUMP SAID

TRUTH IS

Your first statement clearly demonstrates you are just throwing shit to the wall to see if it sticks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT