ADVERTISEMENT

In good shape but not quite out of the woods yet

GK4Herd

Aug 5, 2001
UTSA now sits at 8-6 in conference, two games behind us. Their remaining schedule is SMiss and LaTech at home and then closing on the road at North Texas and Rice. I think the NTex is their best chance for a loss. I don’t think it’s likely, but it’s certainly possible for them to run the table. If they do we have to win three out of four to get the bye since UTSA holds the tie breaker with the head to head win.

Our remaining schedule isn’t going to be easy. In my opinion ODU is the hottest team in the conference right now. They are typically an ugly defensive team that wins games by controlling the tempo and beating you up, but they weren’t real good offensively. For some reason they’ve found their offensive stride. They are putting points on the board and still holding teams to low scores. Thursday night is not a given. Neither, obviously, is our final road swing. MTSU just doesn’t lose many games in conference...especially at home. And just when you think UAB has died and rolled over, they pull out a nearly 20 point win last night on the road.

I like our chances obviously, and if we win two games I think we’re golden. But the bye isn’t a given. The team can’t rest on last night’s win and think it’s in the bag.

Shifting gears, is our conference scheduling unfair to eastern teams? The east has dominated the conference and currently hold the top 4 spots. On herdfans a poster did the math on NTex schedule vs ours. This is just in conference games and a few games ago, but the combined win/loss of NTex schedule was 20 games below .500. The combined win/loss of our conference schedule is 20 games above .500. That discrepancy will certainly widen with the remaining schedule. With the seat of the basketball strength residing in the east, is the current set up unfair to eastern teams who have to play both home and away against the top teams and the Western teams only draw them once? Food for thought.

Reactions: goherd13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News