ADVERTISEMENT

In honor of the 75, a story from my father.

Feb 16, 2009
This is something that he wrote about November 14, 1970....................
"Certainly none of us will forget that rainy Saturday night of November 14, 1970. The 1970 football had dedicated themselves to secure the first winning season in several years at Marshall. As many of us know, who were in school with them, Wednesday night was the night to go out, especially to the Varsity. For the first 8 weeks of the season, hardly any of the team came out on Wednesdays. That Wednesday, November 11, 1970, was different, as the majority of the team came out. I remember Bobby Harris and Jack Repasy planning a party with me and Pat Brady at my apartment that was going to take place after the OU game. "Shoe" was singing his favorite song "Psychedelic Shack", Artie Harris blowing to "You Got Me Going in Circles", Griff giving his unexpected "head butts", and "The Governor" proud of his recovery from an early season broken arm to finish out the season. "Jimo" Adams was excited as he said, "the Program is coming around, we are taking a JET this week instead of a prop plane."

Certainly the Marshall family has been well documented all the way to Hollywood. I think Ernie Salvatore said it best when he described us as "The Faithful". November 14, 1970 will remain in our hearts forever. To me, that Wednesday night at the Varsity, November 11, 1970, was a date I will always remember when they all came out to party, sing, dance and make future plans. As I have felt for the past 43 years, they came out to say "Goodbye"

This is something that he wrote about November 14, 1970....................
"Certainly none of us will forget that rainy Saturday night of November 14, 1970. The 1970 football had dedicated themselves to secure the first winning season in several years at Marshall. As many of us know, who were in school with them, Wednesday night was the night to go out, especially to the Varsity. For the first 8 weeks of the season, hardly any of the team came out on Wednesdays. That Wednesday, November 11, 1970, was different, as the majority of the team came out. I remember Bobby Harris and Jack Repasy planning a party with me and Pat Brady at my apartment that was going to take place after the OU game. "Shoe" was singing his favorite song "Psychedelic Shack", Artie Harris blowing to "You Got Me Going in Circles", Griff giving his unexpected "head butts", and "The Governor" proud of his recovery from an early season broken arm to finish out the season. "Jimo" Adams was excited as he said, "the Program is coming around, we are taking a JET this week instead of a prop plane."

Certainly the Marshall family has been well documented all the way to Hollywood. I think Ernie Salvatore said it best when he described us as "The Faithful". November 14, 1970 will remain in our hearts forever. To me, that Wednesday night at the Varsity, November 11, 1970, was a date I will always remember when they all came out to party, sing, dance and make future plans. As I have felt for the past 43 years, they came out to say "Goodbye"

HERDAHOLIC....I'm a strong supporter that folks leave us messages.....

I completed one year of graduate school at Marshall (Dept. of Journalism) in early May, 1970 and I was preparing to spend the summer bumming & working around the beach (called shore in Yankee land) at Wildwood by The Sea (NJ). However, I received an unexpected letter [mid May] from President Nixon....declaring..."Greetings, you have been selected to join our military." Gladly, I accepted the invitation and starting my basic training the first week in June, at Ft. Dix, NJ---nothing like the fun of hanging out at Wildwood.

On that awful Saturday, Nov. 14, 1970, while on a 30-day military leave before heading to SE Asia [Thailand & Vietnam] around December 2nd....I was watching a football game at my girlfriend's home in Pineville, WV with her and her Dad. Without saying anything as I watched the announcement stream across the the bottom of the TV screen..."plane crash at Huntington airport." I looked at my watch. It read: 7:55 PM, eight minutes after the recorded crash at 7:47 PM. I though in my mind..."I hope they get a runway cleared---Marshall's team plane should be arriving any minute from Greenville, NC."

Little did any of us know "why or what had occurred...."

Our Marshall Family was numb....we were so young and death was not a thought to most of us.....

Unknown to me at the time, my Kappa Alpha Order little brother, Roger Childers, was on board. Roger was sitting out the year because of medical reasons [head injury]. Coach Tolley informed Roger an extra seat was available. He informed his new wife of only a few weeks. She bid Roger farewell and explained her Mom was in town to get in some early Christmas shopping. A goodbye kiss was their last one. Roger was an only child. Because of military duties at Ft. Lee, Va---I was not permitted to attend their wedding. Weeks later, I served as a pallbearer.

I was not aware that Jeff Nathan, Parthenon Sports writer, was on board. Jeff & I had many Journalism classes together during our years at Marshall.

Since I was a Gym rat...I got to know many of the HERD players from playing intramural games, attending Greek parties, and of course taking classes together. I cultivated strong friendships with Kevin Gilmore (Harrison ,NJ), Marcelo Lajterman & Teddy Shoebridge (both from Lyndhurst, NJ). Kevin's body is one of the six unidentified players buried in Huntington at the Memorial grave site, honoring them. I have played in a few Marshall Memorial golf tournaments to raise money and to honor Marcelo.

I don't handle death well.....

Finally, during the early morning of Homecoming, 2016.....I asked Anne to leave our hotel and go with me to Spring Hill Cemetery---for the first time. I needed to go to Kevin's grave site. I stood there alone....weeping and telling Kevin why it took me so long to come tell him Goodbye. I rubbed my fingers across the name of Roger Childers, listed on the Memorial Monument bearing the names of The 75.....again telling him "goodbye"--- something I first said at his Celebration of Life--- 46 years ago---- whispering those same words to him at his grave site in St. Albans, WV.---that I loved him and would join him....some day?

We have driven to Huntington and attended a few Memorial Fountain Celebrations of Life on campus over the years.....and it still hurts! Yet, as I have gown in years...I know it will not be a lot longer until I join The 75 in Heaven. I sure hope they play football up there.....I want to join in with "the guys" for a few plays and later, we can go (on a Wednesday night) to a nice club and celebrate our friendships that were made over 47 years ago.........to be continued.

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

HERDAHOLIC....I'm a strong supporter that folks leave us messages.....

I completed one year of graduate school at Marshall (Dept. of Journalism) in early May, 1970 and I was preparing to spend the summer bumming & working around the beach (called shore in Yankee land) at Wildwood by The Sea (NJ). However, I received an unexpected letter [mid May] from President Nixon....declaring..."Greetings, you have been selected to join our military." Gladly, I accepted the invitation and starting my basic training the first week in June, at Ft. Dix, NJ---nothing like the fun of hanging out at Wildwood.

On that awful Saturday, Nov. 14, 1970, while on a 30-day military leave before heading to SE Asia [Thailand & Vietnam] around December 2nd....I was watching a football game at my girlfriend's home in Pineville, WV with her and her Dad. Without saying anything as I watched the announcement stream across the the bottom of the TV screen..."plane crash at Huntington airport." I looked at my watch. It read: 7:55 PM, eight minutes after the recorded crash at 7:47 PM. I though in my mind..."I hope they get a runway cleared---Marshall's team plane should be arriving any minute from Greenville, NC."

Little did any of us know "why or what had occurred...."

Our Marshall Family was numb....we were so young and death was not a thought to most of us.....

Unknown to me at the time, my Kappa Alpha Order little brother, Roger Childers, was on board. Roger was sitting out the year because of medical reasons [head injury]. Coach Tolley informed Roger an extra seat was available. He informed his new wife of only a few weeks. She bid Roger farewell and explained her Mom was in town to get in some early Christmas shopping. A goodbye kiss was their last one. Roger was an only child. Because of military duties at Ft. Lee, Va---I was not permitted to attend their wedding. Weeks later, I served as a pallbearer.

I was not aware that Jeff Nathan, Parthenon Sports writer, was on board. Jeff & I had many Journalism classes together during our years at Marshall.

Since I was a Gym rat...I got to know many of the HERD players from playing intramural games, attending Greek parties, and of course taking classes together. I cultivated strong friendships with Kevin Gilmore (Harrison ,NJ), Marcelo Lajterman & Teddy Shoebridge (both from Lyndhurst, NJ). Kevin's body is one of the six unidentified players buried in Huntington at the Memorial grave site, honoring them. I have played in a few Marshall Memorial golf tournaments to raise money and to honor Marcelo.

I don't handle death well.....

Finally, during the early morning of Homecoming, 2016.....I asked Anne to leave our hotel and go with me to Spring Hill Cemetery---for the first time. I needed to go to Kevin's grave site. I stood there alone....weeping and telling Kevin why it took me so long to come tell him Goodbye. I rubbed my fingers across the name of Roger Childers, listed on the Memorial Monument bearing the names of The 75.....again telling him "goodbye"--- something I first said at his Celebration of Life--- 46 years ago---- whispering those same words to him at his grave site in St. Albans, WV.---that I loved him and would join him....some day?

We have driven to Huntington and attended a few Memorial Fountain Celebrations of Life on campus over the years.....and it still hurts! Yet, as I have gown in years...I know it will not be a lot longer until I join The 75 in Heaven. I sure hope they play football up there.....I want to join in with "the guys" for a few plays and later, we can go (on a Wednesday night) to a nice club and celebrate our friendships that were made over 47 years ago.........to be continued.

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

What a soulful tribute Gary. I aided the flight coordinators daughter (Leslie Deese Garvis) on a memory book up and coming. (that was expended beyond 2020 hopeful date of completion). I started a memory page in honor of Bob Harris, Jack Repasy and Mark Andrews if you would want to join. It is a slow page but could benefit from members who really knew them or want to learn a little. www.facebook.com/groups/MarshallMoellerTrio/

I started a page in honor of Bob Harris, Jack Repasy and Mark Andrews after helping with a memory book. Its a slow page but I hope that more will join and this would be a wonderful memory to add if you have the time. www.facebook.com/groups/MArshallMoellerTrio/
I love this tribute as it describes in fun detail the hopes and attitudes that these boys had as well as the place and setting. I admit, as much as I like The Temptaions, that I had to look up "Psychedelic Shack", lol. I am getting ready to start a small scholarship in honor of Bob, Jack and Mark that I hope to keep up and running each year in their honor. Im only going to mention on the fb page "Memories of Moeller Trio" so that some of the persons that grew up in the Cincy Suburbs can spread the work in hopes that a student can benefit. It should be ready by next week and its not limited to Football but other athletes as well. I really became stuck on these boys after helping Leslie Deese Garvis on a memory book.

ADVERTISEMENT