ADVERTISEMENT

It's out of control

johns1124

Gold Buffalo
Aug 13, 2004

"More than a few observers were nevertheless taken aback Tuesday by Alabama Coach Nick Saban’s revelation that Young is already looking at what Saban referred to as “ungodly” sums of money."

"
Speaking at the Texas High School Coaches Association’s annual convention (via 247 Sports), Saban said: “Our quarterback already has approached ungodly numbers. I’m not going to say what they are. He hasn’t even played yet. He hasn’t been a starter.”
It’s almost seven figures,” Saban added. “And it’s like, the guy hasn’t even played yet. That’s because of our program.”

19 YO. Millionaire just sign a contract. Won't be long until the Supreme Court has to step in. I know when they made the ruling this is not what they envisioned.

NCAA players can take the NBA mentality. Make the bank and then play 1/2 ass on the field. Who cares, I'm already a millionaire.

"More than a few observers were nevertheless taken aback Tuesday by Alabama Coach Nick Saban’s revelation that Young is already looking at what Saban referred to as “ungodly” sums of money."

"
Speaking at the Texas High School Coaches Association’s annual convention (via 247 Sports), Saban said: “Our quarterback already has approached ungodly numbers. I’m not going to say what they are. He hasn’t even played yet. He hasn’t been a starter.”
It’s almost seven figures,” Saban added. “And it’s like, the guy hasn’t even played yet. That’s because of our program.”

19 YO. Millionaire just sign a contract. Won't be long until the Supreme Court has to step in. I know when they made the ruling this is not what they envisioned.

NCAA players can take the NBA mentality. Make the bank and then play 1/2 ass on the field. Who cares, I'm already a millionaire.

If they did it right, they weren’t “envisioning” anything, they were just interpreting the law.

Congress will need to act to change the law.

Saban, and ESPN will soon learn why “be careful what you wish for, you just might get it” is a saying.

For ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, they are soon going to get the 30-40 team minor league football system they have always wanted. In the USA, of the four major sports, two are mostly developmental leagued by colleges, football and basketball; and two are mostly developmental leagued by pro minor leagues, hockey and baseball. Remind me again which is bigger.

For Saban, and he may be retired before this all kicks in, but in the long run, say 10 years from now, Alabama is a poor, backward, state. In any bidding war for talent, my money is on the places with, well, money. There is more wealth on two block in Dallas then in the state of Alabama.

Saban, and ESPN will soon learn why “be careful what you wish for, you just might get it” is a saying.

For ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, they are soon going to get the 30-40 team minor league football system they have always wanted. In the USA, of the four major sports, two are mostly developmental leagued by colleges, football and basketball; and two are mostly developmental leagued by pro minor leagues, hockey and baseball. Remind me again which is bigger.

For Saban, and he may be retired before this all kicks in, but in the long run, say 10 years from now, Alabama is a poor, backward, state. In any bidding war for talent, my money is on the places with, well, money. There is more wealth on two block in Dallas then in the state of Alabama.
Bama will be fine. Once Saban retires, Dabo's gonna be Bama's next HC, lol.

Bama will be fine. Once Saban retires, Dabo's gonna be Bama's next HC, lol.
And he is going to make the state of Alabama not be poor exactly how?

In the long run, and the long run is 10 to 15 years, the rich programs with rich fans are going to leave poor agricultural states in the dust. Miami, Texas, USC, etc. have boosters willing, and more importantly ABLE to pay the freight. Some yahoo in Alabama who paid $2.99 for.a roll tide sticker for his 2004 Ford F-150, doesn’t.

There is a reason Texas and Houston are in MLB, and Birmingham, Huntsville, and Montgomery are AA.

In the long run, and the long run is 10 to 15 years, the rich programs with rich fans are going to leave poor agricultural states in the dust. Miami, Texas, USC, etc. have boosters willing, and more importantly ABLE to pay the freight. Some yahoo in Alabama who paid $2.99 for.a roll tide sticker for his 2004 Ford F-150, doesn’t.

There is a reason Texas and Houston are in MLB, and Birmingham, Huntsville, and Montgomery are AA.
I think a good way of putting what you are saying into perspective is the fact that UT has an endowment of 32 billion and Bamas is 832 million.

Basically what alphasig said when responding to you.
The teams you listed haven't been in the CFP, nor have really been as good at winning as Bama has. USC, Texas, Miami, etc? Lots of money, lots of wealthy boosters...no titles. Bama? Well...you know the rest.

I think a good way of putting what you are saying into perspective is the fact that UT has an endowment of 32 billion and Bamas is 832 million.
And I imagine that Harvard and Yale have comparable endowments, if not larger, to that of Texas. Yet, neither one of those schools is exactly tearing up the college football world. Matter of fact, neither is TEXAS!!

Reactions: Jartard
And I imagine that Harvard and Yale have comparable endowments, if not larger, to that of Texas. Yet, neither one of those schools is exactly tearing up the college football world. Matter of fact, neither is TEXAS!!
add Rice to that group as well.

Reactions: Jartard

I see where you are trying to go with it but, that is a stretch. Are you saying Boston College will be a powerhouse? Not buying it. Schools like Alabama have already found ways to compete and they have as well or better than anybody else in all of college football. They already have the best coach in the modern era and maybe of all time. They have enough resources and wealthy alumni to compete. They will be just fine.

There are all kinds of ways schools and programs can skin this cat. Alabama will find a way. Hell, Texas has an easier road for decades than Alabama to get to the playoff or championship game and they haven't found a way to do it.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Basically the rules have changed to where the amount of liquid cash you have access to will determine your roster 100%, and just being good at rigging grades and sneaking kids backpacks full of cash (Auburn) isn't going to make you special anymore.

Every coach in college football went from being a full-time recruiter to a full-time fundraiser. The balance that might help the more rural areas is that they have an outsized love for college sports, and areas that have pro sports tend to not care about college at all.

Maybe Nick will have success milking the blood from the turnip that is Alabama, but my guess is the new landscape of college football is going to prize USC's access to that LA money over the acumen of Alabama's coaching staff.

Actually sig is off by a wide margin.
Texas' endowment is roughly $9.9 billion, which is still very high.
Harvard and Yale are about the same with $41 billion.
Stanford probably has the largest of the P5, $28 billion.

Basically the rules have changed to where the amount of liquid cash you have access to will determine your roster 100%, and just being good at rigging grades and sneaking kids backpacks full of cash (Auburn) isn't going to make you special anymore.

Every coach in college football went from being a full-time recruiter to a full-time fundraiser. The balance that might help the more rural areas is that they have an outsized love for college sports, and areas that have pro sports tend to not care about college at all.

Maybe Nick will have success milking the blood from the turnip that is Alabama, but my guess is the new landscape of college football is going to prize USC's access to that LA money over the acumen of Alabama's coaching staff.
Maybe but, USC is already a blue blood of football although they are not reaching their potential now. There could be ups and down for everyone. Sun doesn't shine on the same dog's ass all the time.

There might be LA and Hollywood money around USC but they still have to get it, compete with the Lakers for attention, and all the other stuff, and find the right coach(who will then pay twice the tax on his salary as he does in Alabama) and he won't be the God of CA or even LA. In Alabama football is God. I have a feeling they won't be left behind. Same for Texas. They have had oil money for years. Texas and Oklahoma are already blue bloods. T Boone threw that money at OK State but they are second fiddle in their own state even.

Last I looked, the current SCOTUS is solidly in favor of the free market and capitalism. So no.

Won't get there. I firmly expect the lower courts to get involved and overturn to a degree. A monopoly has can be a detriment to les faire capitalization.

The goal is not to compete with Alabama or Clemson or USC. The goal is to win CUSA. It is still a collection of misfits for Pete's Sake.

Forget some oil tycoon down in Texas handing out money and taking players to the Chicken Ranch. We need to beat Old Dominon, UNC Charlotte, etc. and win the conference.

It isn't going to take T Boone Pickens or Nike money to do that.

There might be LA and Hollywood money around USC but they still have to get it...

When people are dropping seven figure bribes to sneak their kids onto the rowing team just so they can be admitted, it makes me think this might not be a problem for them.

USC bought Reggie Bush's family a house. That was the thing they got him that people noticed. I promise you, it wasn't the entire scope of his compensation, and he wasn't the only guy on that team getting paid.

When the NCAA busted USC, they had to start playing "clean," and they went into the toilet, and have never gotten back to where they were (sound familiar?). Gloves are off now.

What Uncle Nick isn't telling you is that his QB1 was already getting paid. He can talk about it in his pressers now, because he doesn't have to worry about getting sanctioned by the NCAA for facilitating those payments. He's about to have a lot more competition, because now everybody can use Saban's Secret Sauce, or the Urban Meyer Drip, or the Jimbo Fisher Artificial Roster Sweetener.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Actually sig is off by a wide margin.
Texas' endowment is roughly $9.9 billion, which is still very high.
Harvard and Yale are about the same with $41 billion.
Stanford probably has the largest of the P5, $28 billion.
The figure I gave was for the entire university of Texas system. I just did a quick Google search and that was the number that came up. Like wise, your figure didn't account for a 3.5 billion dollar additional investment in the university endowment.

Marshall is gonna do what Marshall can do, no more, no less. Regardless what league we are in. The only thing to change our financial fortunes are more students and more donors - and I don't see a massive influx of either in the near future.

Reactions: alphasig1053
Marshall is gonna do what Marshall can do, no more, no less. Regardless what league we are in. The only thing to change our financial fortunes are more students and more donors - and I don't see a massive influx of either in the near future.
And current donors can increase donations…..I’ve got friends that have given the same $$ amount for 20 years. We are Marshall and we will make it or not based on what we are willing to do or not willing to do.

When people are dropping seven figure bribes to sneak their kids onto the rowing team just so they can be admitted, it makes me think this might not be a problem for them.

USC bought Reggie Bush's family a house. That was the thing they got him that people noticed. I promise you, it wasn't the entire scope of his compensation, and he wasn't the only guy on that team getting paid.

When the NCAA busted USC, they had to start playing "clean," and they went into the toilet, and have never gotten back to where they were (sound familiar?). Gloves are off now.

What Uncle Nick isn't telling you is that his QB1 was already getting paid. He can talk about it in his pressers now, because he doesn't have to worry about getting sanctioned by the NCAA for facilitating those payments. He's about to have a lot more competition, because now everybody can use Saban's Secret Sauce, or the Urban Meyer Drip, or the Jimbo Fisher Artificial Roster Sweetener.
Teams have been doing that for years and not just Alabama. Alabama at some point will decline. Nobody stays on top forever, but they will still be just fine. This thing is not going to be their demise.

Teams have been doing that for years and not just Alabama. Alabama at some point will decline. Nobody stays on top forever, but they will still be just fine. This thing is not going to be their demise.
For sure it won't be, but it will be the end of Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State logjam at the top of the sport.

I think this is going to separate the cream from the rest of the crop, but I think it'll lead to more parity within that upper echelon. There were a lot of schools with money who weren't able to compete because their admins wouldn't let them openly flaunt NCAA regulations (the aforementioned Trojans).

Now that's not a concern, so everybody'll have the option to SMU themselves a national championship if they have the cheese and can spend it.

The figure I gave was for the entire university of Texas system. I just did a quick Google search and that was the number that came up. Like wise, your figure didn't account for a 3.5 billion dollar additional investment in the university endowment.
Maybe not, its tough to determine just how much a school gets. I looked up UT-Austin, I know, there are more, but UT-Austin's I assume makes up the majority.

Reactions: alphasig1053
Found this article today. Sorta gives some perspectives of what could happen in the future.
One of the more interesting scenarios is a potential merger of the Big10 and Pac12.

I know even when I was in college, it was a bit irritating to take a class with a school athlete who was seldom or ever in attendance because he didn’t have to be. Now throw in the the fact that some of these athletes will be millionaires. Don’t you think this is going to cause a lot of resentment, especially among kids who have to borrow or work to get through?

So, obvious ? - where does that leave the Herd?

IMHO, understand where we are. ESPN has created “minor league football”. Under this, teams, with a very tenuous connection to the college they purport to represent, are going to be paid, and paid well. Among the 30 to 40 teams that are actually in “minor league football”. Also understand that players will be able the “transfer” AKA self-trade themselves at will, every year.

Now where are we. The big question is what can or will we want to pay, and what about all the other teams. Not just the G5, but a significant number of leftovers from the P5. There will be schools that CAN not pay much of anything, including several in CUSA; and there will be schools that will CHOOSE not to pay anything. Students, already pay a hefty athletic fee, and at a lot of places (directional Floridas, directional Michigans, etc) they really don’t care about the team in the first place. Hitting them up for that fee, or more, for some pro athlete who doesn’t really even go to school there is like saying every WV State student has to buy WV Power baseball tickets. Harder sell. Some will walk away.

For MU, once we decide where we are, the main issue is to collect ourselves around a group of 10 to 14 like minded programs at the same level.

The bigger question is to understand that ESPN has also created “minor league basketball” and where do we fit there? If at all?

IMHO, understand where we are. ESPN has created “minor league football”. Under this, teams, with a very tenuous connection to the college they purport to represent, are going to be paid, and paid well. Among the 30 to 40 teams that are actually in “minor league football”. Also understand that players will be able the “transfer” AKA self-trade themselves at will, every year.

Now where are we. The big question is what can or will we want to pay, and what about all the other teams. Not just the G5, but a significant number of leftovers from the P5. There will be schools that CAN not pay much of anything, including several in CUSA; and there will be schools that will CHOOSE not to pay anything. Students, already pay a hefty athletic fee, and at a lot of places (directional Floridas, directional Michigans, etc) they really don’t care about the team in the first place. Hitting them up for that fee, or more, for some pro athlete who doesn’t really even go to school there is like saying every WV State student has to buy WV Power baseball tickets. Harder sell. Some will walk away.

For MU, once we decide where we are, the main issue is to collect ourselves around a group of 10 to 14 like minded programs at the same level.

The bigger question is to understand that ESPN has also created “minor league basketball” and where do we fit there? If at all?
We will be minor league as well. Already was and now this pays the athletes through private means. We might be single A and Alabama is AAA(for a baseball analogy). A diamond in the rough like a modern day Pennington or even a relative star locally could make a nice little living off local car dealers, restaurants, local business people etc. The role players might have a nice job make and $30 to hold a broom.

For the first time in my adult life, I have no interest in the Olympics and have not watched a single event In Tokyo.
I have also called my cable company to drop my sports package. I don’t see myself watching much college football this fall.
I guess I am at the point where my age and values no longer allow me to accept the current state of athletics. Too much money, no love of school, continual protesting and bickering, spoiled over sensitive athletes, and unbelievable greed at every level.
I plan to enjoy my yard, renew my library card, and watch less sports and more PBS on tv as I gradually fade away.

For the first time in my adult life, I have no interest in the Olympics and have not watched a single event In Tokyo.
I have also called my cable company to drop my sports package. I don’t see myself watching much college football this fall.
I guess I am at the point where my age and values no longer allow me to accept the current state of athletics. Too much money, no love of school, continual protesting and bickering, spoiled over sensitive athletes, and unbelievable greed at every level.
I plan to enjoy my yard, renew my library card, and watch less sports and more PBS on tv as I gradually fade away.
I’m getting to point that I only watch MU for the most part.

Maybe but, USC is already a blue blood of football although they are not reaching their potential now. There could be ups and down for everyone. Sun doesn't shine on the same dog's ass all the time.

There might be LA and Hollywood money around USC but they still have to get it, compete with the Lakers for attention, and all the other stuff, and find the right coach(who will then pay twice the tax on his salary as he does in Alabama) and he won't be the God of CA or even LA. In Alabama football is God. I have a feeling they won't be left behind. Same for Texas. They have had oil money for years. Texas and Oklahoma are already blue bloods. T Boone threw that money at OK State but they are second fiddle in their own state even.
USC has had some absolutely terrible leadership over the last several years. SC fans despised their AD and their HC.

Clay Helton is a joke and this picture constantly makes its rounds on the Rivals Main Board.

th

Pretty much the same. If we weren't playing at home I was parked on the couch from the moment Gameday came on at 10am to the time CFB Final went off after the final game of the night. Now I look for other things to do in my Saturdays after our games are off. It has to be a compelling matchup for me to watch otherwise.

I have almost no use for professional sports.

Good thoughts.

Nooooo doubt about it, folks, just like sexy, hot Kim Basinger in that hilarious flick with Bruce Willis and John Larroquette, its "out of control"!!

ADVERTISEMENT