ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Brohm type head coach

KyMUfan

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2020
Just something to put in perspective. Before Jeff Brohm became WKU's head coach in 2014 he had a previous head coaching job. In 2002 he was the head coach of the Louisville Fire of the Arena Football League with a 2-14 record.

He had three good years at WKU with some big wins there, including the 2014 overtime win against the Herd. Remember the lucky escape against Central Michigan in tbe bowl game later that year after the epic 4th quarter meltdown?

I'm not sure about the timing and location of his next coaching move to Purdue , especially since he was offered Louisville's job.

As with WKU's hire of Brohm sometimes you have to look deep and take a chance.

Curious about others' thoughts on this as well as Brohm's move to and tenure at Purdue.

I’d love to have a Brohm type guy. Just who we need to elevate our program. Jmo

Purdue Is a tough job and tough place to win consistently. Just up against to much competition with more money, better facilities,etc.

Since Brohm only had a three year run at WKU did he recruit any of his contributing players or just inherited them?

Did that contribute to his leaving for Purdue when he did rather than waiting around for a better offer?

WKU is close to twice the size of MU in terms of enrollment. It is about the size of Louisville.

Back to the original thought. Did WKU know they what they were getting when they hired Jeff Brohm? His only HC experience was 2-14 in the Arena Football League. Or did they take a chance on the unknown when they hired him and it worked out for them?

Wonder how his hiring was received by the WKU fan base? He did have a lot of name recognition in KY though.

Just asking because a lot of us here have mentioned looking to the FCS head coaching ranks for a hire. Maybe we should be looking at QB or OC coaches like Brohm was.

Brohm was a jerk and rode the wave with a QB that was a 6th year sr, He sucks at Purdue. No thanks ,I don't want a guy that is a prick and makes everyone hate us and then leaves after 2 years. PS I still HATE WKU

Since Brohm only had a three year run at WKU did he recruit any of his contributing players or just inherited them?

Did that contribute to his leaving for Purdue when he did rather than waiting around for a better offer?
He was Petrino's OC before he took over as HC when Petrino. So would have had a hand in that roster. Sure it was one season, but still.

I like Brohm because he really knew how to wash the defense to one side of the field, had innovative plays, ran up the score, and put his foot on the throat of his opponent. I can't stand coaches that take the air out of the ball once they get a comfortable lead.

WKU is close to twice the size of MU in terms of enrollment. It is about the size of Louisville.

As far as that goes, just about EVERY state school in CUSA besides MU is about twice Marshall's enrollment size when you look into it. Heck MU in the mid 90s to about 2005 or so had an equal or larger enrollment than what we have today.

Oh you are going back to the Pruett era.
6e2ef3dac333163d1344d2cb39d42fb3.jpg

As far as that goes, just about EVERY state school in CUSA besides MU is about twice Marshall's enrollment size when you look into it. Heck MU in the mid 90s to about 2005 or so had an equal or larger enrollment than what we have today.
I was in Bowling Green 3 or 4 years ago and saw a sign that stated WKU was the 2nd largest university in the state. At the time it had a few hundred more students than UofL. I had no idea they were so close in size. Always assumed WKU was much smaller than UofL and closer to MU's size. I know most of the other schools are well in the 20's.

I was in Bowling Green 3 or 4 years ago and saw a sign that stated WKU was the 2nd largest university in the state. At the time it had a few hundred more students than UofL. I had no idea they were so close in size. Always assumed WKU was much smaller than UofL and closer to MU's size. I know most of the other schools are well in the 20's.
as are most of the schools in the MAC. The g5 schools are big or bigger than many of the p5

I went to Marshall 96-00 and I seem to recall at some point them saying total enrollment had peaked to 17K or something? I'm sure that's counting every student they can, Grad School, etc, but still...

I went to Marshall 96-00 and I seem to recall at some point them saying total enrollment had peaked to 17K or something? I'm sure that's counting every student they can, Grad School, etc, but still...
Back then they included the community college numbers as well. Then the state forced MU to part ways with that college. That got us Mountwest. So we lost 3K or so enrollment.

There have been several study's recently that are pointing to the decline in enrollment at your traditional 4 years Universities for the following reasons:

1) The ever-increasing cost of a 4-year degree, and the suffocating burden of student loans. The average student/parent owe about 30K in loan debt upon graduation with a baccalaureate degree.

2) The current childbearing generation "Millennials" are having less children, if any at all. The major reason being given, is the overall expense of raising children.

3) The ever-changing job market, especially in the expansive Tech sector, no longer requires the course bloat found in the first 2 years of a 4-year degree. A 2-year associate degree dives into the curriculum and course load needed for the desired skill set degree from day one, equally preparing students for employment, with far less debut.

Did WKU know they what they were getting when they hired Jeff Brohm? His only HC experience was 2-14 in the Arena Football League. Or did they take a chance on the unknown when they hired him and it worked out for them?
He did have a lot of name recognition in KY though.

I think you answered your own question. In reality it was a safe choice.

I think you answered your own question. In reality it was a safe choice.
Not necessarily and you have the benefit of hindsight. He was only at WKU for three years with prior recruits. A significant amount of the offense graduated in 2016 as he was leaving. How would the 2017 team performed had he stayed? How have his recruits performed at WKU after he left? And he hasn't necessarily set the world on fire at Purdue.

giphy.gif

I don't care if he won or lost. He's the safe pick because he was a Kentucky boy. Like how Marshall seems to like to hire West Virginia boys. That's not going out on a limb...that's treating coaching jobs like a spoils system.
Maybe more like he was in the right place at the right time when Petrino left to go back to Louisville.

no longer requires the course bloat found in the first 2 years of a 4-year degree.
I don't really think any career ever did. They require everyone to take Sociology classes, which ensures there's a Sociology department, which ensures that if someone doesn't really want the rigor of going to college, they can major in Sociology.

I was a member of a generation whose parents told us: "Go to college, it doesn't matter what you major in, you have to get a degree." My kids will be part of a generation whose parents will tell them, "Only go if you have a degree in mind, only if that degree increases your earnings potential, and before you go, make absolutely certain the faculty there have the necessary expertise to train you." Unfortunately, I learned about two weeks into my first degree-related position that I had paid Marshall thousands for a giant bag of wet sand.

I don't really think any career ever did. They require everyone to take Sociology classes, which ensures there's a Sociology department, which ensures that if someone doesn't really want the rigor of going to college, they can major in Sociology.

I was a member of a generation whose parents told us: "Go to college, it doesn't matter what you major in, you have to get a degree." My kids will be part of a generation whose parents will tell them, "Only go if you have a degree in mind, only if that degree increases your earnings potential, and before you go, make absolutely certain the faculty there have the necessary expertise to train you." Unfortunately, I learned about two weeks into my first degree-related position that I had paid Marshall thousands for a giant bag of wet sand.
I know that in my work in HR, we always gave a degreed person a better look because to us it showed that the person was committed and focused enough to get the degree.

I was a member of a generation whose parents told us: "Go to college, it doesn't matter what you major in, you have to get a degree."

Yup, because, when they were younger, a college degree in folding wet paper sacks meant you were "educated," and you apparently could get a job doing just about anything that had nothing to do with the degree you earned.

I'd kind of like to go back to those times. I really couldn't care less what my degrees are in or in which field I'm working, as long as I thoroughly enjoyed what I was doing, no stress, and made the same or better in terms of pay. Perhaps my transition to full-fledged curmudgeon is now complete.

Reactions: herdalicious
I know that in my work in HR, we always gave a degreed person a better look because to us it showed that the person was committed and focused enough to get the degree.
My mom was an HR manager as well! Thus I was given similar advice in 1996. (You really do the Lord's work, btw.)

That dynamic is changing considerably due to the fact that there is so much demand for people who have specialized computer skills, many of which can be developed outside of an educational environment. There are degrees in the course catalog that will prepare a young adult for a lucrative career, but its gonna be the hard stuff - STEM stuff.

General education degrees, liberal arts degrees, and even quite a few degrees that used to lead to professional employment (like Journalism) are pretty much honeypots - designed to lure students in with their ease, generating four years of revenue for the school and four years of decent grades for the parents, all the while conveying to the student the aforementioned pile of wet sand.

Reactions: mlblack16.
MU's enrollment is 13,200. The only public schools in I-A with a smaller enrollment are Wyoming (which is the only 4 year public school in Wyoming), Coastal Carolina, Louisiana Tech and Louisiana-Monroe. This is one of the main reasons that the delusional element of our fan base just doesn't get it, and probably never will.

As to the decline in enrollment, the next big political issue in WV is our too many state colleges. WV's population is sinking, and is going to start sinking yet faster very soon. WV simply has too many colleges, and many have fallen to the point that it is impossible to graduate in 4 years, because required courses never get offered. WV Tech will not be the last one simply to fail outright. The best outcome for MU is closure of most state colleges, leaving WVians with a choice of WVU or MU for anything besides a couple of small schools with very limited majors.

MU's enrollment is 13,200. The only public schools in I-A with a smaller enrollment are Wyoming (which is the only 4 year public school in Wyoming), Coastal Carolina, Louisiana Tech and Louisiana-Monroe. This is one of the main reasons that the delusional element of our fan base just doesn't get it, and probably never will.

As to the decline in enrollment, the next big political issue in WV is our too many state colleges. WV's population is sinking, and is going to start sinking yet faster very soon. WV simply has too many colleges, and many have fallen to the point that it is impossible to graduate in 4 years, because required courses never get offered. WV Tech will not be the last one simply to fail outright. The best outcome for MU is closure of most state colleges, leaving WVians with a choice of WVU or MU for anything besides a couple of small schools with very limited majors.

Oh hey everyone, looks who's back! It's Mr. FvckinSunshine

Reactions: caliherd
MU's enrollment is 13,200. The only public schools in I-A with a smaller enrollment are Wyoming (which is the only 4 year public school in Wyoming), Coastal Carolina, Louisiana Tech and Louisiana-Monroe.

And we would have lost to two of them and won against two of them, putting us smack in the middle. Mediocrity - it's the Doc and Samantha way!

Reactions: caliherd
ADVERTISEMENT