ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Justice

herd4life5 (HN)

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
MU athletics is publicly touting Justice's 1000th coaching high school basketball. I'm glad, but it's funny because it's a farce. There is no way that the man has 1000 wins in 17 years. He must be counting biddy buddy, scrimmages, pick up games he's watched, and the Governor's race...every precinct. Example, even if he coached 50 games a year between girls and guys (he didn't) he would have only coached 850 games total. Does anyone have any insight into what he is counting towards his record?

I can tell you how much MU kisses up to JJ. Go to a Greenbrier East game and you will always find John Sutherland (Big Green) in attendance. Guess MU is afraid they may lose a donor!

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
Justice recruits. Quality kids' parents suddenly find work at the Greenbrier and move to the district. Not just statewide recruiting, but from all over.

As to losing a donor, if I had any illusion that JJ was going to have input on what will go on during "his" administration, I would be very encouraged. He has always been very careful to play things even between the state's two real universities since he came in the public eye in marketing at the Greenbrier. The first governor to be a Marshall grad ever as far a I know (Tomblin got a master's here but is a Spamie at heart) and the first Marshall grad in any statewide office since the 20s cannot hurt.

I have no such illusion.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
Probably the number of mulligans he has taken over the years playing golf...;)

I can tell you how much MU kisses up to JJ. Go to a Greenbrier East game and you will always find John Sutherland (Big Green) in attendance. Guess MU is afraid they may lose a donor!

Considering KO pissed he and other big ticket donors off, Mike is just trying to keep him in the fold. No different than any other school. Hey, with him being the new Gov. hopefully he'll look out for our best interests. Better than Rockafailure who funneled everything to WVU.

Reactions: The Real SamC
That Justice was a Marshall grad was the big reason I voted for him. Given his slight margin of victory, our alumni had to be a deciding factor.

Doesn't Justice coach both the boys and girls teams at GE? If so, probably explains the win total.

You have no idea of the Marshall people who are currently in power positions in WV government. Sadly, neither does the Administration at Marshall. Nor do they know what to do with these legislators even if they knew. Never in the history of the legislature has there been more Marshall supporters in key positions. Having said that, WVU is light years ahead of Marshall on the legislative front. They literally decide how many scraps Marshall gets. While Marshall fixates on playing football and now, basketball, against WVU, WVU is ingratiating itself to legislators, key lobbyists and now, JJ. We're it not for JJ ties with Marshall, MU would not be apart of the policy transition team he just announced. The last point is irony. Ironic that just when Marshall has allies in the legislature, WV is facing the most challenging budgetary issues in its history and therefore a windfall for MU is virtually impossible.

Kopp (RHS) never understood the politics and it's unlikely Don Knotts will figure it out. Marshall needs a lobbyist, a real lobbyist who understands the assets and knows how to use them. Pruett got it, though.

Marshall has a very strong contingent in Charleston, especially in the house.

Anyways, coaching girls and guys both doesn't even explain it. He's coached for 17 years. He would have had to WIN 55+ games every year between the two to even come close to 1000. Even if they just simply PLAYED 50 games a year he would only be at 850 games coached. In WV, a school can only schedule 22 regular season games; playing 25 implies they made the tournament each year. He hasn't won 1000 games

JJ is counting everything he's coached. Most of it is AAU games from years back and not just his time at Greenbrier East.

I heard Sutherland really wants to play, but JJ told him he has to put the 5 best athletes on the floor. Oh, yeah, it is the Girls GE team that JJ is currently coaching, and word I get out of Greenbrier County is that Sutherland is NO WHERE CLOSE to breaking into the starting lineup, or even getting in as the 12th or 13th player off the bench either!!!

I have not run the numbers from this election, because they don't have the biographies of the new members yet, but the number of WVU grads in the legislature was at an all time low after the GOP takeover last time. I'm sure that will remain pretty close to the same.

The new Supreme Court justice went to ultra-conservative Hillsdale College and Ohio State Law, although she was a WVU employee before the election. The new Ag Commissioner went to Missouri and Central Michigan. The AG went to Rutgers.

Rumor has the last truly anti-Marshall politician in statewide office, which is Margaret Workman, resigning due to family problems and poor health after the next court term.

Justice today appointed the provosts of both of the state's real universities to roles in his transition and the faculty of both will be used for policy boards.

MU athletics is publicly touting Justice's 1000th coaching high school basketball. I'm glad, but it's funny because it's a farce. There is no way that the man has 1000 wins in 17 years. He must be counting biddy buddy, scrimmages, pick up games he's watched, and the Governor's race...every precinct. Example, even if he coached 50 games a year between girls and guys (he didn't) he would have only coached 850 games total. Does anyone have any insight into what he is counting towards his record?
I am really happy he has time to coach basketball, but he better be ready to take over come January. He will assume a huge hole in the state budget and the new state Senate leadership has already said raising taxes was a non starter. That 45% subsidy that Marshall gets to their athletic budget from the state may be in real trouble.

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)
He ain't lying though. Marshall (and all WV's higher ed institutions) are going to get budget cuts, and it will be interesting to see how this affects Marshall's spending priorities.

It's worth noting that the current level of institutional and student support (over $14 million) is more than double what our entire athletic budget was when we jumped to I-A in 1996. And we're spending that so we can play Charlotte, UTSA, Western Kentucky, Old Dominion....

No FBS school has their priorities more out of whack than MU. Some may be equal but none are more.

No FBS school has their priorities more out of whack than MU. Some may be equal but none are more.

Could you please list what you believe MU's "priorities" are, what these should be, explain why, and link to other FBS schools of a similar character to MU which have "priorities" which meet your approval.

Reactions: Galloway27
Sam you bloviate on here all the time. What do think our priorities are versus what they should be?

Sam you bloviate on here all the time. What do think our priorities are versus what they should be?

If by "bloviate" you mean "not go along with the chatting nabobs that expect to go 12-0 every year, complain about who we play, and bitch about the toilets, the band, Toy, TV, start time, et al" then yes I do.

In athletics, MU's priorities are clear and have been since KO Marcum was finally run off.

- In football, win as many games as possible against the conference we are currently in playing the most realistic non-conference schedule given the financial and other reality.

- In basketball, win as many games as possible and return basketball to the position it was once in, in our community.

- In other sports, comply with NCAA standards and Title IX and, since you have to, have fun and try to win within the reality of our budget.

- In management, improve facilities with the next projects being stadium repairs and updates, baseball, and dedicated airplane for basketball and other sports.

- In marketing, make as many people as possible, alumni and non-alumni, think of MU as "us" and love the University and the Herd.

- In the long run, if (when) the next realignment comes be (unlike the situation under KO) in a situation where we are THE logical candidate for a better conference.

Unlike "far that there coach". Which is no a plan, its a knee-jerk reaction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT