ADVERTISEMENT

Just throwing this out there.

TwolfHerdfan

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2007
Consider this - knowing IG has struggled mightily. Would it be better for the program to move Gaines back to QB?
Yes, we lose him at TE but we seem to be OK there with Miller and a few others coming in. In addition we can still line him up at TE in certain situations. We know he is an effective runner plus the times he has thrown, he seems to throw a pretty good ball.

I like IG and he tries but we aren’t gonna do squat next year with him under Center. Jmo

Consider this - knowing IG has struggled mightily. Would it be better for the program to move Gaines back to QB?
Yes, we lose him at TE but we seem to be OK there with Miller and a few others coming in. In addition we can still line him up at TE in certain situations. We know he is an effective runner plus the times he has thrown, he seems to throw a pretty good ball.

I like IG and he tries but we aren’t gonna do squat next year with him under Center. Jmo
I think Gaines arm is suspect, but stranger things have happened.

No. He hasn't played the position in over 3 years and even when he did the times I watched him he held the ball for far too long. Remember it was Xavier that went to Doc requesting to make the move. At least that's the story. With the weapon he is at TE (When Doc decides to use him) I don't see any scenario you move him. If Gaines does have to move we're in a world of trouble. It means we are at our last resort.

No. He hasn't played the position in over 3 years and even when he did the times I watched him he held the ball for far too long. Remember it was Xavier that went to Doc requesting to make the move. At least that's the story. With the weapon he is at TE (When Doc decides to use him) I don't see any scenario you move him. If Gaines does have to move we're in a world of trouble. It means we are at our last resort.

Sadly, I feel we are there now. I like IG but it’s clear he can’t do what we need a QB to do to be successful. We better hope Wells can win the job or by some miracle IG finally gets it.

Sadly, I feel we are there now. I like IG but it’s clear he can’t do what we need a QB to do to be successful. We better hope Wells can win the job or by some miracle IG finally gets it.

I get your sentiment and share it to a degree, but it would not be an upgrade at this point in development. We'd be changing for the sake of it.

I like Wells. Then we also have Maurice Underwood on the roster and Eli Sammons coming in.

The real question isn't if those three are good enough to push and even supplant Green. Will Doc actually give them the chance to. Sure he may say "all jobs are always open", but in his mind is he dead set on Green no matter what. The old "_________gives us the best chance to win" crap.

I get your sentiment and share it to a degree, but it would not be an upgrade at this point in development. We'd be changing for the sake of it.

I like Wells. Then we also have Maurice Underwood on the roster and Eli Sammons coming in.

The real question isn't if those three are good enough to push and even supplant Green. Will Doc actually give them the chance to. Sure he may say "all jobs are always open", but in his mind is he dead set on Green no matter what. The old "_________gives us the best chance to win" crap.

Having watched Underwood and Sammons, neither appear close to ready from what I see. Of course, I’m no expert.
My hope rests with Wells. Unless by some miracle an accomplished transfer lands in our lap.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Having watched Underwood and Sammons, neither appear close to ready from what I see. Of course, I’m no expert.
My hope rests with Wells. Unless by some miracle an accomplished transfer lands in our lap.

Doubt that happens. What accomplished transfer is going to look at this offense and say to themselves, "Man I want to play in that!". No one. Most transfers that we fans would want are looking for higher landing spots.

Florida's QB just said that he is transferring or going pro. I highly doubt he'd consider coming here. Maybe if the was 2014. Heck even Kai Locksley opted for UTEP. I mean he sucks anyways, but there is nothing alluring in Huntington.

COME TO HUNTINGTON. WHERE YOU SIT ON 10 POINT LEADS AND LOSE TO CHARLOTTE.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
These are the facts that have been stated on here previously so I'm not trying to take credit for any of them. Just wanting to say that they seem to be for real and I don't see them changing.

1. Doc has one more year on his contract and we can expect to have him as our head coach next year. No matter how much fans complain or withhold their money or support.

2. Doc announced IG as his guy last season and we all know once Doc annoints a QB he will be the starter barring him leaving or something crazy happening.

3. We all know that Doc isn't very big on giving younger QB's a chance and trusting them to run the offense especially when he already has what he considers an experienced one he already likes. This makes it very unlikely to go with Wells or Underwood. The only exception would be if one of those two starting in spring ball starts blowing the competition away and even then they might struggle convincing Doc they are ready to run the offense.

Green is your starter through 2021, and nothing is going to change that. When it comes to his eggs, Doc is a one-basket kind of guy.

These are the facts that have been stated on here previously so I'm not trying to take credit for any of them. Just wanting to say that they seem to be for real and I don't see them changing.

1. Doc has one more year on his contract and we can expect to have him as our head coach next year. No matter how much fans complain or withhold their money or support.

2. Doc announced IG as his guy last season and we all know once Doc annoints a QB he will be the starter barring him leaving or something crazy happening.

3. We all know that Doc isn't very big on giving younger QB's a chance and trusting them to run the offense especially when he already has what he considers an experienced one he already likes. This makes it very unlikely to go with Wells or Underwood. The only exception would be if one of those two starting in spring ball starts blowing the competition away and even then they might struggle convincing Doc they are ready to run the offense.

Huh? The last 3 QBs here have, LITERALLY, been given the reigns as freshmen - Green, Litton, and Cato.

All 3 had games where their backups were given opportunities to overtake the starting QB role and didn’t.

To Doc’s credit, the right QB always wound up winning/keeping the job.

I’m with you. IG makes my eyes burn. Their is zero passing offense. It’s brutal.

However, it’s the fault of coaches and IG. They don’t even try to create a rhythm for the QB with a short or intermediate passing game. The only rhythm throw we try is the RPO we get to the TE (Levias or Gaines) and some hitches.

Considering how much movement we get from LBs and Ss that have to defend our running attack, it should make those RPOs and PA Passes open up a TON of passing lanes. And it has but IG just can’t hit them.

So, it’s both.

The problem is now IG will be a R-JR. It’s really tough to overtake a guy about to start his 3rd year at QB and, honestly, it’s fair. He deserves it considering the team has won. I just hope some of the kids there now, or coming in, can show enough to make his leash really short when the passing game unravels like it has in 2019.

So, in short
Agree we need an upgrade
I think a coaching philosophy/scheme change is also necessary.
But, I don’t think this is a case of Doc being anti-youth or afraid to make changes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT