ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Sumlin..

PullmanFinger

Green Buffalo
Aug 25, 2017
don't think he's going to last much longer. How about Bill Legg's replacement?

Ya Herd it here first

To replace bill legg I think we have to get rid of doc... and I actually like doc as a head coach, other then him not firing his buddy.. bring back Pruett at least he had the passion and balls and guts to play against the big boys..... and most of the time we won!

Doc and Legg will go down in flames together but doc looks to have bought himself another year if we continue to play decent

Doc and Legg will go down in flames together but doc looks to have bought himself another year if we continue to play decent

I'm not interested in firing Doc. But I am also not interested in be complacent with a 17 point loss to a mid pack ACC team. I know we weren't supposed to be good this year but 'not good' should mean 8-4. Not covering the spread against an unranked team

To replace bill legg I think we have to get rid of doc... and I actually like doc as a head coach, other then him not firing his buddy.. bring back Pruett at least he had the passion and balls and guts to play against the big boys..... and most of the time we won!
you do realize that Doc has a similar record against the big boys? He has wins over P5 schools Louisville, Maryland and Purdue. BP had wins over Clemson, South Carolina and K-State. Okay they beat Temple but Temple was so bad they were kicked out of the BE. BP had close losses to Ohio State, Georgia and UNC. Doc has close losses to Va Tech, WVU and I would add NC State even though the score might seem otherwise. Point is this Doc has done as well against the big boys as BP did.

you do realize that Doc has a similar record against the big boys? He has wins over P5 schools Louisville, Maryland and Purdue. BP had wins over Clemson, South Carolina and K-State. Okay they beat Temple but Temple was so bad they were kicked out of the BE. BP had close losses to Ohio State, Georgia and UNC. Doc has close losses to Va Tech, WVU and I would add NC State even though the score might seem otherwise. Point is this Doc has done as well against the big boys as BP did.

I said Legg. Not Doc. And I was being somewhat sarcastic anyway. But sumlin can obviously coach, sometimes you do need a fresh start. The luster of Doc is going dull. He did well early for a couple fireworks, but any school that had our year last year is not going to higher grounds any time soon. Just sayin

Bob pruett also beat Louisville twice I believe, and Cincinnati.... point I was making is when bob was here we knew as fans that we had a chance to win no matter what.. Marshall always had to face the best of every team, we were a legit threat. Now we are way to predictable and our coaching refuses to take chances because they are scared. Marshall gained ranks and busted the 90's wide open how? Taking chances and having guts... we can't even go undercenter now... sad I can call almost every play from section 104....

Using Pruett's wins against Louisville and Cincinnati not the best defense. The Louisville Pruett beat might as well be a completely different school than what it is now. Cincinnati has improved a fair amount as well. Both schools used to be closer to MUs level, but things have very much changed.

Bob pruett also beat Louisville twice I believe, and Cincinnati.... point I was making is when bob was here we knew as fans that we had a chance to win no matter what.. Marshall always had to face the best of every team, we were a legit threat. Now we are way to predictable and our coaching refuses to take chances because they are scared. Marshall gained ranks and busted the 90's wide open how? Taking chances and having guts... we can't even go undercenter now... sad I can call almost every play from section 104....
true but they were not P5 schools when that happened they were both in C-USA at the time doesn't count.

like saying Western Carolina beat Marshall. True but we were FCS at the time not the same.When schools step up to a higher division it makes a difference. So it doesn't count. How bout letting BP ride off into the sunset and go fish

Last edited:
Hey MarshallManiac don't you realize that Marshall just loves to keep bringing back favored sons to coach -
Bob Pruett, Mark Snyder, Dan Dantoni, Greg White, etc., so why not recycle? We don't want to pay any young guy coming up because if they win here they will move on so we get guys who view this as their retirement job. Just saying.

Hey MarshallManiac don't you realize that Marshall just loves to keep bringing back favored sons to coach -
Bob Pruett, Mark Snyder, Dan Dantoni, Greg White, etc., so why not recycle? We don't want to pay any young guy coming up because if they win here they will move on so we get guys who view this as their retirement job. Just saying.

I hate that that statement has so much truth hidden in the sarcasm.

I swear I'm going to lose my mind if people don't stop saying "bring back Bob Pruett." The guy is 138 years old, retired and quit on us at the worst possible time. No thanks.
I agree, he was actually fast asleep and snoring in his chair in Jimmy Justice's tent at the Greenbrier Classic this year. He was a good coach, but I'm not sure he has the stamina for coaching or doing anything of use anymore to be honest. Let Pruett stay retired and let us look for a young and energetic coach if/when Doc leaves, retires, or is fired in the future.

I agree, he was actually fast asleep and snoring in his chair in Jimmy Justice's tent at the Greenbrier Classic this year. He was a good coach, but I'm not sure he has the stamina for coaching or doing anything of use anymore to be honest. Let Pruett stay retired and let us look for a young and energetic coach if/when Doc leaves, retires, or is fired in the future.

Agreed. Even if Doc turns things around this year he's gettin up there in age too. You have to wonder how much longer he'll coach. I sure hope when he's gone we go after the best candidate out there...not the best Marshall guy available. I'm so tired of the good ol' boy network. When there are ties to the University there's not enough accountability.

Reactions: oldeherd
BP is 74. While that is not really that old, by the time he would get his system and players in place, we are talking 80, and that is pretty old.

His era is passed, it is time to remember it as one of the great eras and move on.

As to the idea that BP quit on us at the worst possible time, well a man of honor could do no different, could he? Satan's Vile Servant, the liar KO Marcum not only LIED to him (and me and every other donor) about the IPF; he hired his incompetent cronie as compliance director and he alienated every donor except for his inner circle.

If you were in a position of leadership and your boss outright lied to you about an important issue, told the same lie to the public and expected you to cover for it, hired an incompetent for what really is a simple job and said incompetence led to major consequences, and was driving off a customer base that, more than anyone, you were responsible for building up, what would you do?

Agreed. Even if Doc turns things around this year he's gettin up there in age too. You have to wonder how much longer he'll coach. I sure hope when he's gone we go after the best candidate out there...not the best Marshall guy available. I'm so tired of the good ol' boy network. When there are ties to the University there's not enough accountability.

Agree completely, Maniac. Hope to live long enough to be able to see MU going out to hire top athletic officials/coaches (particularly the Athletic Director and the football and basketball head coaches) where the first and main criterion is not ANY prior association or connection to the school. One of the athletic department's biggest ongoing problem, IMO, is that it suffers from too much athletic "inbreeding" and needs to bring in some new blood completely from the outside with fresh and innovative ideas, policies, etc.

Being for "new blood...with fresh and innovative ideas, policies, etc." is like a politician being for "change". It is a meaningless phrase. A "fresh idea" is to start eating out of the garbage can, another is to cut the engine on a jet at 30K feet.

Unless someone has a specific list of what we are doing now which we should stop doing and specific things we should do instead, it is nothing but hot air.

BP is 74. While that is not really that old, by the time he would get his system and players in place, we are talking 80, and that is pretty old.

His era is passed, it is time to remember it as one of the great eras and move on.

As to the idea that BP quit on us at the worst possible time, well a man of honor could do no different, could he? Satan's Vile Servant, the liar KO Marcum not only LIED to him (and me and every other donor) about the IPF; he hired his incompetent cronie as compliance director and he alienated every donor except for his inner circle.

If you were in a position of leadership and your boss outright lied to you about an important issue, told the same lie to the public and expected you to cover for it, hired an incompetent for what really is a simple job and said incompetence led to major consequences, and was driving off a customer base that, more than anyone, you were responsible for building up, what would you do?

you're an idiot.

There's a couple ways of looking at this. One, do you want an older coach, who is most often, out of touch with today's athlete, one who is content to stay here until they retire. (You have that now with Doc) Two, do you want a younger coach, one who is more in touch with today's game, but at the same time, if successful, will jump to a bigger program?

Personally, I would prefer the younger coach, one that might pump some excitement into the program. Well, mainly the fan base, as that's where the excitement level appears to be lagging currently.

I would check out that YAGs guy to gauge his interest.

I heard that YAGs is coaching an offensive/defensive position group and has a special teams unit. His offensive/defensive position group had the conference's player of the week in week 1. His special teams unit had the conference's player of the week in week 2.

Wait, what name am I posting under?

There's a couple ways of looking at this. One, do you want an older coach, who is most often, out of touch with today's athlete, one who is content to stay here until they retire. (You have that now with Doc) Two, do you want a younger coach, one who is more in touch with today's game, but at the same time, if successful, will jump to a bigger program?

Personally, I would prefer the younger coach, one that might pump some excitement into the program. Well, mainly the fan base, as that's where the excitement level appears to be lagging currently.

Amen I want rifle to take over for Doc

Please please tell me where rifle is coaching at?
I would love to, but that needs to come from YAGs or his friend EVAD. I will give you a hint though, and this should keep a few posters busy for the next few days. The official state bird where this program resides, matches the school's team colors.

You'll get nothing from BP at this point. He'll coach one year then leave. When questioned he'll point back to the 90's as a slight of hand trick...people will begin to awe in our glory days, then begin to argue about Hamricks hires and compare a 6-6 Clemson win vs a Teddy Bridgewater Louisville win...all the while, Pruett slowly slinks away from the comversation...smiling since he got into the HoF and convinced MU to hire him again...once more, leaving us in the dark for no other reason but his own ego.

If Doc leaves or doesn't pan out, I'm all for a new coach from somewhere else.

I do ask however, how many G5 programs have had successful coaches (10 win seasons) and have had that coach leave, and their new hire was consistent with winning still for at least 4 years after?

Boise State seems to have retained its success since Peterson left.
Southern Miss however, was a dumpster fire after Fedora left...

Its a double edged sword.

Yep. And if you take the second letter in the school's name and the fifth letter in the school's name, they are the school's initials.
True. But, if you were to reverse the second letter in the school's name and the fifth letter in the school's name, you would come up with the initials of a famous publication.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT