ADVERTISEMENT

Knox

MUCO68

Silver Buffalo
Jan 27, 2011
Brenden Knox is a BEAST!! He gets the job done. HOWEVER, we have a lot of talent in our receivers and running backs. I wonder why we don't use a 2-back set (makes it a little more difficult for the opponents to decide on who might get the ball) and why don't we use some passes to the backs coming out of the backfield?? I do recall, however, that we have actually used THREE backs at times. Having said that, I see where we actually DID throw a pass to Knox on 3rd down, late in the game, and he came up w/ more than enough for the first. We also did a sweep that netted good yardage. Why aren't we doing this more instead of running Knox up the middle all the time? Why aren't we using more backs to mix it up a bit, give Knox a rest, throwing some delays/screens, etc? We have so much talent...it seems to this feeble old man that we are not using our potential to its fullest. Thanks, just some ramblings of a tired old man...Hit me w/ your best shot...

Dude, why complain? We are winning and doing it in dominating fashion. The offense is working. It's not a Leftwich offense but at the same time when you have a horse at running back, a young QB still learning with an amazing future, where is the need to throw out more wrinkles than necessary? If it ain't broke don't fix it. We did throw to Knox when it was seen as a need, otherwise you let the WRs, tight ends take on those duties. I'm happy as hell we are winning the ways we are getting there. Enjoy the ride

When you have the conference player of the year, he is going to get a vast majority of the touches... I think we have used Evans properly and I was glad to see McDaniel get an early series. I would probably give him one series each half to get some experience, because we are going to need him to be the man (possibly as son as next year if Knox leaves for the draft).

As for two back sets, we use the three back "full house" set all the time in short yardage. Last night we used it as much or more than we have all season. Granted one of those is usually an H-back or TE in the backfield. Two back sets simply aren't a part of our offense (you cant do everything) and even if they were, we would be inserting Evans as the second back and at the same time taking a WR off the field. So you aren't adding a skill player, you are simply swapping an RB for a WR. Knox would still get a majority of the carries in two-back looks since he is our best player.

I do agree that we don't throw the ball to our backs in the flat enough, but I think that is probably because it isn't necessarily what Knox or Evans do well. They are both downhill one-cut runners. Even the screen we ran last night on third down was fortunate to work out. The DE got caught in no-mans land and didn't hit Knox, instead he lunged trying to tip the ball and he wiffed, Knox caught it and got 10 yards for first down.

I didn't think our play calling in the first half was particularly good last night, but the use of the RB's has been good all year. Going forward I would expect to see a carry breakdown of maybe Knox 70%, Evans 20%, McDaniel 10%.

The reason single-back sets have become so popular is that it allows you to spread the field and thin-out the box. Bring another RB into the backfield and the defense will bring another defender inside, too. Single-back sets make running the ball - in the middle - easier. Marshall is not alone in this strategy. Nearly every team in the country does this.

Anybody know what Knowledge McDaniel did on his one carry that was so bad that he didn't get another?

32 carries is a lot. The last 6 game in the last half of the 4th with Marshall up 35-10.

Reactions: RhinoD
Anybody know what Knowledge McDaniel did on his one carry that was so bad that he didn't get another?

32 carries is a lot. The last 6 game in the last half of the 4th with Marshall up 35-10.

32 carries is a lot... I'm sure the coaches want to make sure Knox gets his touches/numbers, but in some of these upcoming games especially against teams like MTSU and FIU, McDaniel should get more late game carries and save some of Knox's mileage for later on.

I wonder if he was put in by necessity and not purpose. Knox was rotating out and maybe Evans wasn't able to go in for whatever reason at that point in time.

Reactions: herdalicious
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT