ADVERTISEMENT

Landon's Updated HC Candidates

I don't know Charles Huff personally, but if that is really the list, we should hire him tomorrow... His resume is beyond anyone else mentioned. Associate head coach/running backs coach for the national champions and a well regarded recruiter.

At 37 he isn't some hot shot kid, nor is he a retread old guy who has already failed somewhere else. His career is on an upward trajectory. I would be really intrigued to hear some names that he might bring with him to serve as OC and DC.

I don't know Charles Huff personally, but if that is really the list, we should hire him tomorrow... His resume is beyond anyone else mentioned. Associate head coach/running backs coach for the national champions and a well regarded recruiter.

At 37 he isn't some hot shot kid, nor is he a retread old guy who has already failed somewhere else. His career is on an upward trajectory. I would be really intrigued to hear some names that he might bring with him to serve as OC and DC.
OC is going to be the crucial hire. Hopefully someone to develop Grant

OC is going to be the crucial hire. Hopefully someone to develop Grant

Agreed... I do like that Huff was a starting center in college and has been a RB coach for years now. At least he has an offensive mind. Combine that with a quality OC and I would really be on board.

If Huff ends up being the guy, the big winner would be Knowledge McDaniel and our other RB's. Huff mentored Saquon Barkley and Najee Harris, he must know something about the ground game.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

I like him more and more as time passes. Also he could bring a RB or two with him from Bama. They have 1 SO and 5 FR RBs on their roster right now. They're not all going to play next season. One of those guys could have a really good relationship with Huff and follow him and we could end up with a monster RB. Be like the RB version of Kresser.

Huff mentored Saquon Barkley and Najee Harris, he must know something about the ground game.

Yeah, he knows to get out of the way and allow freaks to be freaks.

Harris was the #2 ranked player in the entire country. That level of pure talent and he gets to run behind an offensive line like Alabama's and he gets to run on defenses that have to focus on a lethal passing attack with two freak receivers? It's hard to fvck that up.

Barkley was the 11th ranked RB. He was on the same offense as the Big 10's leading passer (who also happened to rush for 500 yards). Again, it's hard to fvck that up.

For some reason, this board keeps forgetting to mention Mississippi State, where Huff was the running backs coach and run game coordinator at in between his stints at Penn State and Alabama.

In that one season Huff was in Starkville, Mississippi State's QB ran for 400 yards more than any running back. Now, much of that had to do with having a huge QB who couldn't throw (Nick Fitzgerald) and a head coach who is a great offensive mind who would use his QB as a battering ram as a means to get a number advantage in the box against superior talent on defense. So it's not Huff's fault his RBs didn't produce much, but let's not act like he is the running back whisperer considering what he's been handed while avoiding some of the results. If we are going to laud him for the production of players he didn't recruit, we must also hold him to the same standards for lack of production of players he didn't recruit.

Which brings me to my point- Joe Moorhead is somebody Marshall should have gone after hard. The guy is an experienced HC at the FCS level and in the SEC, he was good but not great in the hardest division in the country, he is a great offensive mind, and he has the fiery and fun personality that Marshall needs after dealing with John. Would his $900K salary be a barrier? Possibly, but I think Marshall could get somewhat close to that, especially considering we'd be able to guarantee his contract 2.5X longer than what he has now as Oregon's OC. Would he think a much bigger job is within his grasp with a strong season in Oregon next year? Possibly, but that's a big risk for him to take instead of getting to lead his own program again.

One thing I do like about Huff is what his teams have done on special teams while he was the coordinator. His first couple of years as a special teams coordinator were pretty bad. His next couple of years were great. Now, many staffs give a "special teams coordinator" title to somebody even though other coaches are actually in charge of each unit, and I imagine that was the case at PSU, as Huff really didn't have ST coordinator experience. Regardless, his name was on it, and PSU improved greatly in special teams after he got his feet wet.

Harris was the #2 ranked player in the entire country. That level of pure talent and he gets to run behind an offensive line like Alabama's and he gets to run on defenses that have to focus on a lethal passing attack with two freak receivers? It's hard to fvck that up.

Barkley was the 11th ranked RB. He was on the same offense as the Big 10's leading passer (who also happened to rush for 500 yards). Again, it's hard to fvck that up.

For some reason, this board keeps forgetting to mention Mississippi State, where Huff was the running backs coach and run game coordinator at in between his stints at Penn State and Alabama.

In that one season Huff was in Starkville, Mississippi State's QB ran for 400 yards more than any running back. Now, much of that had to do with having a huge QB who couldn't throw (Nick Fitzgerald) and a head coach who is a great offensive mind who would use his QB as a battering ram as a means to get a number advantage in the box against superior talent on defense. So it's not Huff's fault his RBs didn't produce much, but let's not act like he is the running back whisperer considering what he's been handed while avoiding some of the results. If we are going to laud him for the production of players he didn't recruit, we must also hold him to the same standards for lack of production of players he didn't recruit.

Which brings me to my point- Joe Moorhead is somebody Marshall should have gone after hard. The guy is an experienced HC at the FCS level and in the SEC, he was good but not great in the hardest division in the country, he is a great offensive mind, and he has the fiery and fun personality that Marshall needs after dealing with John. Would his $900K salary be a barrier? Possibly, but I think Marshall could get somewhat close to that, especially considering we'd be able to guarantee his contract 2.5X longer than what he has now as Oregon's OC. Would he think a much bigger job is within his grasp with a strong season in Oregon next year? Possibly, but that's a big risk for him to take instead of getting to lead his own program again.

One thing I do like about Huff is what his teams have done on special teams while he was the coordinator. His first couple of years as a special teams coordinator were pretty bad. His next couple of years were great. Now, many staffs give a "special teams coordinator" title to somebody even though other coaches are actually in charge of each unit, and I imagine that was the case at PSU, as Huff really didn't have ST coordinator experience. Regardless, his name was on it, and PSU improved greatly in special teams after he got his feet wet.
Rumors around Ann Arbor have been that Harbaugh has been trying to get moorhead to come be his OC.

If Hamrick is smart he will look outside the campus for a coach. The majority of people in the area want that warm and fuzzy feeling in hiring a coach. Have we had any luck with the hiring of a coach associated with Marshall besides Pruett? Pruett took over a solid team left by Jim Donnan. Again, Lambert was a head coach and was not successful at Charlotte with a losing record. Cut the cord!

If Hamrick is smart he will look outside the campus for a coach. The majority of people in the area want that warm and fuzzy feeling in hiring a coach. Have we had any luck with the hiring of a coach associated with Marshall besides Pruett? Pruett took over a solid team left by Jim Donnan. Again, Lambert was a head coach and was not successful at Charlotte with a losing record. Cut the cord!
Thank goodness Hamrick is simply one on the search committee. Dr Gilbert will evaluate the committee choice and present to the BOG for a contract offer

• Haha
Reactions: 19MU88
A neighbor of mine, a big $$$ contributor, said Huff was very well liked at Mississippi State and is a great recruiter. Go get him Hamrick, Gilbert and committee! Will need some $$$$, but would be worth it. Need new blood in the program!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

Sir. Please stop making sense. This HC search doesn't require such logic.

Well, President Gilbert has a strong background at Miss. State so he probably still has plenty of contacts at MSU if he wants a valid assessment of Huff's tenure there.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Just guessing, but I'd saying the Gov.'s plate is pretty full trying to orchestrate the distribution of the COVID vaccines around the State plus keeping all his crayons sharpened in order to keep his colored State map correctly updated!! :):)

It’s not the President and it’s not the AD.
The search committee is in charge of the process. Mike Hamrick is heading up the committee so he is involved. The committee will make a recommendation that will have to be approved by the Board of Governors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT