ADVERTISEMENT

Lets talk recruiting, Eastern Panhandle style

Platinum Buffalo
Jun 1, 2002
It is my understanding that Tyson Bagent from Martinsburg High school will be in Huntington at the prospect camp. Also, Nic Longerbeam, a 6-2 235 jr linebacker from Jefferson High will be attending. And of course Tavis Lee has already been offered by Marshall.

Bagent-Keep hearing that Marshall has a real interest and I hope so. The kid has a 4.2 gpa, his dad is the national arm wrestling champ so we know the kids is strong and tough as nails. 6-3, 208

Longerbeam- This kid has ties to VT where is uncle was an all American and pro football player. Nic has already been offered at least a walkon slot at VT. The kid is really strong for a high school jr. He works out with 360 lbs on multiple reps.

Lee- Tavis is a fast DE that would be a perfect fit for Marshall. Hope this works out

Lets hope we have some EP kids playing for the Herd soon.

I know the last time Bagent ran the 40 it was a high 4.8 to low 4.9, so its not a strength but not a weakness either.

I hope Marshall rolls out the red carpet because I know if the family is made to feel welcome then that will go along way. Since Trey Lowe committed to WVU that is no longer an option so this is wide open.

Last edited:
No doubt the panhandle is an area we really need to look at hard every year with the growth and it's proximity to DC.

It is my understanding that Tyson Bagent from Martinsburg High school will be in Huntington at the prospect camp. Also, Nic Longerbeam, a 6-2 235 jr linebacker from Jefferson High will be attending. And of course Tavis Lee has already been offered by Marshall.

Bagent-Keep hearing that Marshall has a real interest and I hope so. The kid has a 4.2 gpa, his dad is the national arm wrestling champ so we know the kids is strong and tough as nails. 6-3, 208

Longerbeam- This kid has ties to VT where is uncle was an all American and pro football player. Nic has already been offered at least a walkon slot at VT. The kid is really strong for a high school jr. He works out with 360 lbs on multiple reps.

Lee- Tavis is a fast DE that would be a perfect fit for Marshall. Hope this works out

Lets hope we have some EP kids playing for the Herd soon.

I heard Tennessee called about Longerbeam yesterday

From time to time, MU has managed to draw talent from the Eastern Panhandle area. A key sub on the great Herd teams during the Russell Lee-Mike D'Antoni days was Gary Orsini, a 6'4" wing type player from Inwood, WV, just outside Martinsburg.

Reactions: AllEers6

If Marshall has interest in Bagent, I doubt it's as a QB. Unless we experience a mass exodus at that position, we're close to full.

Is Marshall taking a QB in this class?

The plan is for Kai Locksley to sign but he's at a JUCO and is getting interest from some solid P5s (heard TCU).

Even without him (and assuming no transfer or position changes - which is a pretty big assumption) we will have 5 QBs on scholarship in 2018 (Litton, Morrell, Gaines, White and Green).

From time to time, MU has managed to draw talent from the Eastern Panhandle area. A key sub on the great Herd teams during the Russell Lee-Mike D'Antoni days was Gary Orsini, a 6'4" wing type player from Inwood, WV, just outside Martinsburg.
Gary was one of the best role players I ever saw. He was not a glory kind of guy on those teams but was a real asset. I saw him last year when the 71-72 team came back for a reunion.

The plan is for Kai Locksley to sign but he's at a JUCO and is getting interest from some solid P5s (heard TCU).

Even without him (and assuming no transfer or position changes - which is a pretty big assumption) we will have 5 QBs on scholarship in 2018 (Litton, Morrell, Gaines, White and Green).
still need a QB in every class. If its not Bagent then they will sign a QB. Litton will be a senior next year and Morrell will be a jr.

Reactions: ohio herd
still need a QB in every class. If its not Bagent then they will sign a QB. Litton will be a senior next year and Morrell will be a jr.
Agree, because if history repeats itself someone will transfer out. I like recruiting one QB per class. That way if someone leaves after a couple years you still have a few guys on the team that arent freshman forced to play before their time.

As long as Locksley is committed, I don't see them actively recruiting another one.

Gary was one of the best role players I ever saw. He was not a glory kind of guy on those teams but was a real asset. I saw him last year when the 71-72 team came back for a reunion.

A few years ago I was in the Martinsburg area for a while. Use to hear radio ads for a furniture company in that area by the name of Orsini Furniture, I believe. Always wondered if it was run by someone related to Gary or if he was perhaps back in that area working in the furniture business.

at this point is not commited? correct
He has not decommitted and will be a January enrollee unless he is stolen by a P5 school. He is just enrolling at JUCO and playing instead of sitting out 2017 season. Either way he was losing a year of playing eligibility.

Reactions: Herdmeister
At this point, no. Not to our knowledge anyways.
I just find this crazy if true, but our QB board has fallen apart with most of our targets committing elsewhere, so maybe they are just giving up on the position in this class. Still, the numbers show that in QB recruiting from 2010-2016 that we only have a retention rate of 35.71% (5 of 14) and only 1 of 7 QBs (Cato) that have completed their eligibility finished it at MU. We could lose our entire depth chart besides a starter and maybe our 2017 recruit (Green) by end of 2018 if Locksley enrolls in January as planned, since I don't see Morrell, Gaines, or White staying as 2nd and 3rd string QBs if Locksley wins the backup job in 2018 and starting job in 2019. Please note that Locksley will only be a 2 for 2 player now and just looks like a potential transition QB to Green in 2020. We just have the potential to end up thin at the position if we don't take a developmental HS QB for the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT