ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING Litton is declaring for the draft

Can’t really blame the young man. Probably he and his family tired of reading all the criticism of his performance on Herd Nation.

If that's the case, they need to nut-up. You can't be a qb at a D-1 school in today's day and age and not expect (a lot of) criticism on social media and team message boards.

Reactions: mufan08
Also, I'm sure [insert any NFL team's name here] fans and media will take a moment and consider Chase and his family 's feelings the first time he has a two pick game (assuming he even makes someone's roster).

Reactions: johns1124
No idea if this has merit or not... but i heard through the grapevine toward the end of last season that he wasnt all that "in to college" and was looking to be done. Maybe declaring for the NFL just allows him to quit college without technically "dropping out."

I'm inspired... I am announcing my candidacy for President of the United States in 2020! Litton has clearly created himself on Madden 2017, learned the Madden playbook for the Cleveland Browns, run up great stats, and won multiple Super Bowls. Add that to his mediocre college career, questionable character, and a trip to Manning QB Camp and we have a sure-fire, cant miss NFL QB on our hands.

I wish him nothing but the best in his delusional pursuit of his dream to be an NFL QB. Let's all name 5 Herd QBs SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than Litton that never played on Sundays... Michael Payton, Rakeem Cato, Tony Peterson, John Gregory, and Todd Donnan (yep, I said it).

HOT NEWS FLASH the following former Marshall QBs also declaring for the 2018 NFL draft (and have an equal shot of being selected)... Greg Supsura, Bernie Morris, Michael Birdsong, and Stan Hill.

Good luck, my friend, you're going to need it!

I think that Chase would have benefited from an additional year, but he has Lee Steinberg's agency representing him which is a big plus. While Steinberg went through a tough period where he lost much of his fortune and business, he's back on track and his experience will be an advantage for Litton.

Reactions: ToesMU
No idea if this has merit or not... but i heard through the grapevine toward the end of last season that he wasnt all that "in to college" and was looking to be done. Maybe declaring for the NFL just allows him to quit college without technically "dropping out."

Probably, close to being the truth. He had a problem grasping MU offense. Do you think any NFL Team's O is going to be easier?

I'm inspired... I am announcing my candidacy for President of the United States in 2020! Litton has clearly created himself on Madden 2017, learned the Madden playbook for the Cleveland Browns, run up great stats, and won multiple Super Bowls. Add that to his mediocre college career, questionable character, and a trip to Manning QB Camp and we have a sure-fire, cant miss NFL QB on our hands.

I wish him nothing but the best in his delusional pursuit of his dream to be an NFL QB. Let's all name 5 Herd QBs SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than Litton that never played on Sundays... Michael Payton, Rakeem Cato, Tony Peterson, John Gregory, and Todd Donnan (yep, I said it).

HOT NEWS FLASH the following former Marshall QBs also declaring for the 2018 NFL draft (and have an equal shot of being selected)... Greg Supsura, Bernie Morris, Michael Birdsong, and Stan Hill.

Good luck, my friend, you're going to need it!
Stan Hill was better.

- CL has no chance of being selected in the NFL draft, no chance of getting a free agent offer, and no chance of playing in the CFL.

- NOBODY could be so delusional as to think otherwise, therefore there are two possibilities. Either he is just done with school or could not make the grades and this is just a graceful way of quitting; or he has figured or, or been told, that he is not starting and we are moving on.

- This happened one year too late for my tastes.

- Opinions that this is due to internet poster criticism cannot be taken seriously.

- A grad transfer would be a good option for next year.

A few draft guys have him listed as being in the top 10 QB coming out. One guy mentioned that if he had stayed and played another year that he could have moved himself up the draft ladder and possibly into the 1st Rd. Would have liked to seen him for his final year here. His size will be attractive for a team I'm sure.

A few draft guys have him listed as being in the top 10 QB coming out. One guy mentioned that if he had stayed and played another year that he could have moved himself up the draft ladder and possibly into the 1st Rd. Would have liked to seen him for his final year here. His size will be attractive for a team I'm sure.
Anyone that has him listed in the Top 10 QBs coming out should be drug tested at the combines alongside all of the athletes. They are smoking the same shiitake that Litton was busted for last season when he got benched.

Ok so what do you know?

I highly doubt he was having problems with Doc or the staff...considering Legg resigned and Doc allowed Litton to compete and get the starting job, MU really did a lot for him, which he did acknowledge so it's doubtful the program itself was affecting him.
But what I know?
He was very likely going to flunk out. He was also going to have to re-try for the starting spot given the new OC. He feels that he has enough merit to get a look from the NFL, which as much as many of you wish weren't true, he will.
They are open to literally anyone to try out, so Chase is going to get a look. Much of his personal problems, the ones you can see on paper, were from his HS days.
As crappy of a person as he has been, he hasn't been arrested nor has had any off field problems (again, documented stuff) so that'll negate some doubt of his character.
As for his mechanics? They're all coachable issues, meaning, he can actually improve on some of those areas. Will he? Maybe the drive of the NFL will do it, I don't know.

I wish him the best. At times he really looked like he could play at the next level and other times, he struggled. He will have to work hard for sure, to get on the roster, but it's not impossible for him as many say either.

Last edited:
Given multiple chances by the staff and teammates. Never made any real effort to correct mechanics or bad decision making. Personally, I won't miss the guy at all.

b8134ab0b85e1b7c7410dc318540c72316937c1569a7492a5b30221493952124.jpg

He feels that he has enough merit to get a look from the NFL, which as much as many of you wish weren't true, he will.

Let's see if he gets invited to the Combine. That in a nutshell will tell you what NFL teams think of him.

I highly doubt he was having problems with Doc or the staff...considering Legg resigned and Doc allowed Litton to compete and get the starting job, MU really did a lot for him, which he did acknowledge so it's doubtful the program itself was affecting him.
But what I know?
He was very likely going to flunk out. He was also going to have to re-try for the starting spot given the new OC. He feels that he has enough merit to get a look from the NFL, which as much as many of you wish weren't true, he will.
They are open to literally anyone to try out, so Chase is going to get a look. Much of his personal problems, the ones you can see on paper, were from his HS days.
As crappy of a person as he has been, he hasn't been arrested nor has had any off field problems (again, documented stuff) so that'll negate some doubt of his character.
As for his mechanics? They're all coachable issues, meaning, he can actually improve on some of those areas. Will he? Maybe the drive of the NFL will do it, I don't know.

I wish him the best. At times he really looked like he could play at the next level and other times, he struggled. He will have to work hard for sure, to get on the roster, but it's not impossible for him as many say either.
Im assuming you don't realize just how big of a mess Chased was and caused in 2016. Any other coach would have kicked him off the team. Honestly if half of what I heard was true Bill Legg deserves coach of the year for making him as productive as he was in 2017.

He was very likely going to flunk out. He was also going to have to re-try for the starting spot given the new OC.

Dude, you’re spreading rumors that simply aren’t true.

His grades and school work had nothing to do with his departure.

Chase was going to have a learning curve w/o a doubt, but he would’ve given us our best chance at success.

Reactions: jete2 and JC102
I agree. Get Green ready to go!! Very exciting times for our football program! .....now about the other shoe..... This is a positive development imo!
Go Herd

W-S HerdFan.......any chance you & your buds sat beside my son, our grandson & Anne at the HERD-Charlotte basketball game last week? Someone is moving in Carrie's home?

Zilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

Might be one of the worst early draft decisions I've seen since Tindal. And with the amount of talent returning to this team next year Litton had a pretty good chance at some national recognition. I wish him the best of luck. I wonder if he at least earned enough credit hours to get his degree...

Exactly my thoughts..
....Hope he did. Its a tough world out their without a degree......

Zilla22

Dude, you’re spreading rumors that simply aren’t true.

His grades and school work had nothing to do with his departure.

Chase was going to have a learning curve w/o a doubt, but he would’ve given us our best chance at success.

Thanks Josh.
...Some folks thrive on starting crap and the "damage" is done when the real truth surfaces. I just don't understand WHY some folks want to erode other's reputations. Chase "paid his dues" for his actions during 2016....give it a rest, guys!

I thought .....WE ARE _______Marshall? Apparently not so?

"let him cast the first stone that is without sin...."

Zilla22

Reactions: jete2 and johns1124
I can acknowledge the good he did, but I'm not sure it outweighed the harm, and I have strong doubts anyone is going to look back 4-5 years from now and say, "Man, those Chase Litton years were great."

His rankings of HERD QBs will prove you wrong
.......had he stayed...and remained healthy....his numbers would have been near the Top.....

His rankings of HERD QBs will prove you wrong.......had he stayed...and remained healthy....his numbers would have been near the Top.....

Agreed, but he didn't stay so we cant rank him among the top. His freshman year had the traditional learning curve mistakes, year two one could debate he should have been kicked off the team, and yr three was a success (not huge but yes a success), so in my mind this is not a hall of fame career and one with unrealized potential. The thing that upsets me is if Doc thought Chase was leaving in August he could have gotten the freshman some reps to get him ready for next season. Now you have a freshmen and two soph. and when the starter is named someone is leaving because they are young and can find someplace to play.

He was also going to have to re-try for the starting spot given the new OC. He feels that he has enough merit to get a look from the NFL, which as much as many of you wish weren't true, he will.

Soooooo, this guy is good enough to "get a look" from the NFL, something that maybe 20 guys (and maybe half those seriously) out of the 100s of QB theoretically available in this draft class will get, for a chance to beat out a decade and a half plus of draft classes production for one of a sum total of 96 jobs , but simultaneously would have to compete with the huge stable of QB talent at Marshall University, a CUSA school in West Virginia.

Right.

CL played his last game of competitive outdoor football.

They are open to literally anyone to try out, so Chase is going to get a look.

They do? Where? The Combine is an invitational event. Because they grossly over-invite players (about 100 more than there are draft slots) it is theoretically possible, but totally unlikely, that he even will make it that far.

Leaving aside his criminality and childish selfish self-destructive behavior, he just isn't good enough. He pissed away a shot at, at least, having a college degree and a post-football job skill.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
And boom goes the dynamite.
Chase leaving is a problem. Doc hitched his wagon to a kid with extreme character issues and it got Legg fired, it almost got Doc fired(and it still might), and the AD's butt is on the line (which is why he is in the interviews for the new OC). This guy is leaving a mess.

Reactions: WV_Celt
Agreed, but he didn't stay so we cant rank him among the top. His freshman year had the traditional learning curve mistakes, year two one could debate he should have been kicked off the team, and yr three was a success (not huge but yes a success), so in my mind this is not a hall of fame career and one with unrealized potential. The thing that upsets me is if Doc thought Chase was leaving in August he could have gotten the freshman some reps to get him ready for next season. Now you have a freshmen and two soph. and when the starter is named someone is leaving because they are young and can find someplace to play.

CORRECT me if I am wrong....I think Chase ranks No. 4 after his three years....Cato...Byron, Chad and Chase....

Zilla22

I wish Chase well. I hope he gets his head straightened out and becomes the young man of his potential. But, personally, I think it's the dumbest decision since Ronald Blackshear declared for the NBA!

As for his family, I've always heard they were part of the problem, especially the mother. I doubt in the annals of college football has a sitting head coach been faced with the task of replacing an OC, DC and QB at the same time. At least now, Doc won't have to fill the position of babysitter...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT