ADVERTISEMENT

Locksley Changes Mind???

Probably figures one fairly solid year of play at a juco would end up with him having more offers from bigger programs than MU. He could always fall back to us, barring a serious injury, etc. And, quite honestly, what good would a year sitting out at MU do him? He could come in for he semester starting

Reactions: dariff
Probably figures one fairly solid year of play at a juco would end up with him having more offers from bigger programs than MU. He could always fall back to us, barring a serious injury, etc. And, quite honestly, what good would a year sitting out at MU do him? He could come in for the semester starting in Jan. 2018 and in 2 or 3 hours tops become very familiar with Bill Legg's highly intricate offensive scheme!!

Reactions: jrod64
Probably figures one fairly solid year of play at a juco would end up with him having more offers from bigger programs than MU. He could always fall back to us, barring a serious injury, etc. And, quite honestly, what good would a year sitting out at MU do him? He could come in for the semester starting in Jan. 2018 and in 2 or 3 hours tops become very familiar with Bill Legg's highly intricate offensive scheme!!
Pretty sure it would only take 45 minutes to memorize playbook. Lol

Doesn't surprise me. Doc better wake up!

Find a paper bag and breathe into it before you have a heart attack over absolutely nothing.

1. He has to sit out anyways.
2. Unless Litton comes way off the rails and is worse than Mark Cann he isn't being benched for no one.

Fact of the matter he only has two years left to play. That means due to point number two he would only have one year to play at QB. A year of play that is in no way shape or form promised. He has Gaines, Merrell, and Isaiah Green to contend with plus whoever gets recruited in the 2018 and 2019 class.

In all likelihood he was going to play WR here just as he was going to at Texas once they saw him in the mix at QB.

Not sure why everyone was so sold on him coming in here and being so great at QB. Not saying he is a bum at QB, but he is in no way far and away better than any QB we have on the roster.

Xavier Gaines is a RS-FR QB right now. I would much rather develop him and see if he can win the job for 2019 and 2020 than I would try and make a one year wonder out of Locksley and lose Gaines to transfer along with whichever other QBs leave as well. We cannot keep them all here.

There is nothing Doc better wake up to. Fans are the ones that need to wake up on how the QB position is played. Everyone freaks out when QBs that do not start transfer. There are no rotations at QB. This isn't a skill position that rotates 2-3 players deep every game.

QBs have always been BMOC and have a hard time riding the pine while there eligibility is eaten up. It's why Blake left. He chose to play two more years instead of one.

Yes, yes we can add packages, but any QB worth a darn isn't going to be happy coming in for a handful of plays a game. Frankly I wouldn't want a QB like that anyways.

He may still end up here unless he gets an offer from a school where there is no competition for the starting job and where his chances of starting are much, much higher.

You can't blame the kid. He left Texas because he wanted to play QB. He most likely saw how Litton has performed in camp and saw the competition he faces down the road here and is looking for a more sure bet where he can play multiple years.

Last edited:
He committed to FSU, then flipped to Texas, then left Texas for a CC, left the CC for Marshall, and now has left Marshall for a JUCO.

Just saying, the thread topic has three too many question marks in it.

Reactions: ToesMU
He committed to FSU, then flipped to Texas, then left Texas for a CC, left the CC for Marshall, and now has left Marshall for a JUCO.

Just saying, the thread topic has three too many question marks in it.

The issue isn't his loyalty. He can't accept he isn't a D-1 QB so he is chasing a dream. Good luck to him but in the Army All-American game they played him at WR, was recruited as an ATH, and then moved to WR at Texas after they saw him in the QB mix.

He thought he could come to Marshall and finally get his shot until he saw Litton in camp and then the competition to be successor.

We already have a Kai Locksley in Xavier Gaines who I would rather develop than run off.

Now I would still love to have Locklsey come in and play for us in 2018 and 2019. 6'4" WRs are nice to have.

Reactions: ohio herd
I was talking about the OPs incredulity. When the transfer was first announced, everybody got all excited, but if you paid any attention to his past, you'd know the only chance we had of him sticking around is if our QB situation somehow got worse.

People who run from competitions they can't win don't make good quarterbacks. Hell, look at the guys who leave Marshall and transfer down. Other than Blake Frohnapfel, I can't think of anybody who left Marshall that was actually able to win the job at the place they went to.

Hell, look at the guys who leave Marshall and transfer down. Other than Blake Frohnapfel, I can't think of anybody who left Marshall that was actually able to win the job at the place they went to.

Besides Frohnapfel who had a solid career . . .

Kevin Anderson transferred to Fordham and is about to be their starting QB for the third consecutive year.

2015: 67% 3183 yards passing 32 TDs 10 INTs 341 rushing yards
2016: 62% 2724 yards passing 27 TDs 4 INTs 255 rushing yards (only 10 games)

He has also been granted an extra year. It would have been one hell of a battle between Anderson and Litton. Fordham has gone 9-3 and 8-3 the last two years, including beating Army in Anderson's first start.

Michael Birdsong started every game in his first year eligible for Tennessee Tech after transferring down. He completed 62.4% of his passes for 2600 yards in 11 games with 17 TDs and 7 INTs. He also rushed for 226 yards and 4 more TDs.

Cole Garvin didn't win the starting job in his first year of eligibility (nor did he transfer down), but he played in five games last year. He played South Alabama's entire game against #19 San Diego State. He went 16-21 for 243 yards passing and 3 TDs. I believe he still has two more years left.

Gunner Holcombe was in a battle all spring for the starting QB job at UT-Martin. He lost out to a Florida State transfer who had already been at UT-Martin a year before Holcombe transferred in. They didn't announce the starter until a couple of weeks before the season started. He started two games in which he was primarily the #2 guy, and he should have another year of eligibility.

Three of the transfer QBs have thrived going to another FBS or FCS school, one has done a good job as a backup while still having two more years of eligibility, and the other has been the #2 guy behind an FSU transfer.

Besides Frohnapfel who had a solid career . . .

Kevin Anderson transferred to Fordham and is about to be their starting QB for the third consecutive year.

2015: 67% 3183 yards passing 32 TDs 10 INTs 341 rushing yards
2016: 62% 2724 yards passing 27 TDs 4 INTs 255 rushing yards (only 10 games)

He has also been granted an extra year. It would have been one hell of a battle between Anderson and Litton. Fordham has gone 9-3 and 8-3 the last two years, including beating Army in Anderson's first start.

Michael Birdsong started every game in his first year eligible for Tennessee Tech after transferring down. He completed 62.4% of his passes for 2600 yards in 11 games with 17 TDs and 7 INTs. He also rushed for 226 yards and 4 more TDs.

Cole Garvin didn't win the starting job in his first year of eligibility (nor did he transfer down), but he played in five games last year. He played South Alabama's entire game against #19 San Diego State. He went 16-21 for 243 yards passing and 3 TDs. I believe he still has two more years left.

Gunner Holcombe was in a battle all spring for the starting QB job at UT-Martin. He lost out to a Florida State transfer who had already been at UT-Martin a year before Holcombe transferred in. They didn't announce the starter until a couple of weeks before the season started. He started two games in which he was primarily the #2 guy, and he should have another year of eligibility.

Three of the transfer QBs have thrived going to another FBS or FCS school, one has done a good job as a backup while still having two more years of eligibility, and the other has been the #2 guy behind an FSU transfer.
Why did Kevin Anderson leave? I don't recall that we choose CL over him, and I am just wondering.
It would be informative to hear what circumstances caused them to leave.

Reactions: mfkenova
Why did Kevin Anderson leave? I don't recall that we choose CL over him, and I am just wondering.
It would be informative to hear what circumstances caused them to leave.
Anderson was looking at riding the bench for 4 years behind Cato, Frohnapfel, and Holcombe before he have a shot at starting, but he would have had to beat out Cole Garvin. Garvin looked good in 2014 spring ball so Anderson left.

Anderson was looking at riding the bench for 4 years behind Cato, Frohnapfel, and Holcombe before he have a shot at starting, but he would have had to beat out Cole Garvin. Garvin looked good in 2014 spring ball so Anderson left.
I am not trying to be smart ass, but why did Garvin leave?

Litton beat him out for the backup role to Birdsong. With them both being FR, he decided to leave,

That's a new one. Garvin made comments referencing what happened on social media, and it had nothing to do with being beat out while still a redshirt.

Garvin was a cry baby bitch who was mad he wasnt handed the starting job after Cato left. Litton came in the Spring and drastically outplayed him. Then his poutfest at the Spring Scrimmage at the Greenbrier sealed his fate.

He wasnt lied too, just a spoiled kid who thought things was going to be handed to him.

By all accounts, he looked terrible during his Redshirt year and didnt progress during Spring Ball but still felt he should have been handed the starting position without competing.

That's a new one. Garvin made comments referencing what happened on social media, and it had nothing to do with being beat out while still a redshirt.
Spring of 2015 Litton beat out Garvin for the 3rd string spot behind Birdsong and Holcombe. Litton, then beat out Holcombe for the backup job in Summer 2015, and took over as the starter when Birdsong was injured. By the way, Doc didn't lie to him, he told him he could compete for the job, and he didn't win it. if anyone lied to him it would have been Hartley, but I seriously doubt that Garvin was told he would be the starter as a R-FR over two experienced upperclassmen.

Garvin was a cry baby bitch who was mad he wasnt handed the starting job after Cato left. Litton came in the Spring and drastically outplayed him. Then his poutfest at the Spring Scrimmage at the Greenbrier sealed his fate.

He wasnt lied too, just a spoiled kid who thought things was going to be handed to him.
I was at the scrimmage and saw it all. It wasn't pretty watching Garvin stand about 20 yards from his teammates while they put in the work and he stood there sulking. Based on what I saw that day, Litton had the it factor, and out performed Birdsong and Holcombe. That was also the day that Rodney Allen showed he had the potential to be an all-conference CB at MU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT