Looking At 2020 OOC Schedule

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
We open on 9/5 at East Carolina.
Home on 9/12 to Pitt.
Away on 9/19 at Ohio.
Home on 9/26 to Boise State.
Thoughts on where our team will be record wise the end of September?

Honestly, 2-2 is probably best case. We always play like crap at Ohio and ECU should be much improved. Pitt and Boise feel like losses given our history of playing tough OOC teams at home, especially lately.

very challenging schedule to say the least. We will find out in a hurry what kind of team we have

There really are too many variables to make a definitive pick on those games this far away. If nothing changes, Greene is still out starter and hasn't improved much at all then yes 1 - 3 is very likely. If we suddenly have a much improved QB either with Greene or someone new and we stop playcalling not to lose games then anything is possible. Based on Doc's recent history and inability to change and adapt makes those two if's very unlikely. Which is probably the single biggest issue most have with Doc IMO.

Reactions: johns1124
It is too early to make such predictions. In college, more or less, a fourth of the team is different each season. Ask after spring practice.

If trends are indicative of anything at all and the as of right now I do not see any big time playmakers committed or red shirting. I can easily see us going 0-4. I hate saying that, but he style Doc plays with, the lack of play makers on outside, our average to below average QB, and our history in Athens doesn't bode in our favor. You just hope that The Joan plays a large part, but the last top level team to visit (Cincy) beat the living tar out of us. Made us look like an FCS pay-to-play team.

As long as Doc wants to cling to 10 point games and do as little as possible to win I just don't see us having a very good OoC.

I see a 7-5 absolute best case scenario next year, it'll more than likely be 6-6, or 5-7ish.

Its very hard to fire a guy who went 8-4 despite all the short comings we all see. The pool of candidates will think, "hell they fire guys for going 8-4", it might turn off some potential good candidates. HOWEVER, with next years challenging schedule, and probably a lesser record, it'll be much easier to move on from stale Doc. 6 years of no division title, horrible attendance despite PITT/Boise at home....DOC IS GONZO AFTER NEXT YEAR.

2 Things: We have NEVER won a game in Greenville. and when was the last time we won in Athens? Attendance should be high for those 1st 2 at home, but who knows after this year?

There is no way to know what the other teams will look like (although Boise State's offense is set up to be scary good the next few years)...

So looking at Marshall... I would hope that the offense will improve. We only lose two seniors this year (assuming Obiallo can play 4 games and still get a 5th year redshirt)... The offensive line should be solid (4 starters return), I would assume Green will still be at Qb and hopefully improved with another offseason, and Knox/Evans are back as is Gaines at TE... What we need is Thompson, Gammage and Talik Keaton to make strides at wide receiver between now and next August.

Defense is another story... We lose a lot... The d-line only returns Hodge and Couch. The only linebacker returning is Beckett. In the secondary we return Johnson, Gilmore and Abraham... The defensive line should be okay with Croom and Burton back to take over starting gigs. Biggest need between now and next August is finding at least two starting caliber linebackers (preferably three, because you always need one ready to step in).

I see a 7-5 absolute best case scenario next year, it'll more than likely be 6-6, or 5-7ish.

Its very hard to fire a guy who went 8-4 despite all the short comings we all see. The pool of candidates will think, "hell they fire guys for going 8-4", it might turn off some potential good candidates. HOWEVER, with next years challenging schedule, and probably a lesser record, it'll be much easier to move on from stale Doc. 6 years of no division title, horrible attendance despite PITT/Boise at home....DOC IS GONZO AFTER NEXT YEAR.

Got to disagree. It's easy to come to the decision to fire a coach after an 8-4 season, especially one that has managed to play the team out of multiple division titles, conference championships and only has a .300 winning percentage against teams with a pulse. To me, and many others, there's no question it's past time to make a change.

Coaches at this level know it's a results driven business and while a few may be turned off by seeing an 8 win coach let go, the majority will at least consider the position and answer the phone. Remember, most coaches want the challenge of building up a program, hence the reference to this being a results driven occupation.

1-3. We win in Athens due to Rourke and other skill guys leaving. The have some seniors leaving on D as well. ECU is much improved. The kid they have playing QB is gritty and gets it done.

I see 7-5 best case with league losses to FAU and at WKU next year.

We open on 9/5 at East Carolina.
Home on 9/12 to Pitt.
Away on 9/19 at Ohio.
Home on 9/26 to Boise State.
Thoughts on where our team will be record wise the end of September?

1-4 best case scenario

It's sad, they could form a new conference composed of the worst teams from Sunbelt, CUSA and MAC and Marshall and John STILL would find a way to lose just enough to keep us from a division championship, let alone the conference title.

1-4 best case scenario

It's sad, they could form a new conference composed of the worst teams from Sunbelt, CUSA and MAC and Marshall and John STILL would find a way to lose just enough to keep us from a division championship, let alone the conference title.
Don’t be dramatic. You’re acting like John regularly loses to teams outside the top 100. Oh... never mind

There is no way to know what the other teams will look like (although Boise State's offense is set up to be scary good the next few years)...

So looking at Marshall... I would hope that the offense will improve. We only lose two seniors this year (assuming Obiallo can play 4 games and still get a 5th year redshirt)... The offensive line should be solid (4 starters return), I would assume Green will still be at Qb and hopefully improved with another offseason, and Knox/Evans are back as is Gaines at TE... What we need is Thompson, Gammage and Talik Keaton to make strides at wide receiver between now and next August.

Defense is another story... We lose a lot... The d-line only returns Hodge and Couch. The only linebacker returning is Beckett. In the secondary we return Johnson, Gilmore and Abraham... The defensive line should be okay with Croom and Burton back to take over starting gigs. Biggest need between now and next August is finding at least two starting caliber linebackers (preferably three, because you always need one ready to step in).
The good news is Yulee will be back next season at LB. Plus we have the units look like this for 2020:
QB - This unit has raw talent in Green, Wells, and Underwood but someone needs to step up and at least be an average FBS QB.
RB - Loaded. We have the best 1-2 combination among G5 schools and have good young RBs behind Knox and Evans as well.
WR - We only lose Tavin Richardson among those WRs that were contributors if Obialo and Henry both decide to stay for their SR years. Both had redshirts available and will meet the redshirt requirements.
TE - Big loss in Levias, but Gaines and Miller return and we may land a very good JUCO TE or two in the current class. The position should be solid in 2020.
OL - The OL should be returning every scholarship OL player except the dancing bear so the position group should be a major strength in 2020.
DE - Lose Couch but return Hodge, Cumberlander, and Burton and have plenty of young depth to the point that DE has not been a priority in the current recruiting class. Strong group overall.
DT - Lose Hames but return Croom and Edwards and have some young depth at the position. Looking to land a top JUCO DT in the class with the lack of experience among the backups. Should be solid position group in 2020.
LB - Return 5 scholarship LBs including Beckett and Yulee. The group needs depth so landing a JUCO LB or two is a priority in the current recruiting class. Have a solid 4 returnees with experience, but depth could be an issue if injuries occur.
CB - Lose Merrell and Jackson, but return Gilmore, McClain-Sapp and Abraham could move to corner. Also add USC transfer Pie Young to the group.
S - The group does not lose any players and top safety Derek Pitts will be available after redshirting in 2019.
PK - We lose Rohrwasser, but Ciucci is an accurate kicker and should be a solid replacement.
PT - Lefevre returns for his SR year so the position should be good in 2020.
LS - Lose Beardall after 50+ starts. Brodie Williams (R-FR) was a highly rated LS coming out of HS and should continue the long run of good long snappers.

1-3. We win in Athens due to Rourke and other skill guys leaving. The have some seniors leaving on D as well. ECU is much improved. The kid they have playing QB is gritty and gets it done.

I see 7-5 best case with league losses to FAU and at WKU next year.
ECU went 4-8 (1-7), won 1 of their last 7 games and barely beat ODU 24-21. Their QB is solid, but I don't see them beat us unless our team plays very bad.

Ok if you don’t think we should move on from Doc as an opinion because you think he’s a good coach, although I disagree but I’m fine with that opinion.

But saying that other coaches will say man they got rid of a guy that went 8-4 is a HORRIBLE reason not to do it. Doc has been here 10 years if I’m a coach looking at a head coaching role I’m like this guy has won one championship his entire time and he’s been there 10 years sign me up! Zero expectations, good money You can be completely mediocre and stay 10 years that’s a hell of a sales pitch!

ECU went 4-8 (1-7), won 1 of their last 7 games and barely beat ODU 24-21. Their QB is solid, but I don't see them beat us unless our team plays very bad.

Seriously? They lost at home 46-43 in OT to #17 Cincinnati (who led us 45-0 at home!) and 59-51 to #25 SMU late in the season. Their QB threw for 498 and 535 yards and 10 TD’s in those games, and he was a sophomore like IG. Didn’t translate to wins, but they play big boy football, not UNCC. Sounds like they are looking good on offense in 2020, while we suffer heavy losses on D. Hard to imagine a win there in week 1.

The dude is a great player, and I love his personality and fire on the field, but should he really be coming back to play again? I thought people were originally saying he is lucky to be walking and to hang up his cleats?
From what I understand there are quite a few players in the NFL that had the same type of surgery and have continued to play. Yulee is already back doing fitness work and was walking around a day or two after the surgery. he will have to be medically cleared before he can resume contact drills and playing, but it sounds promising at this point.

As with most others I think we could end up anywhere from 0-4 to 2-2. Unless something happens there won't be a lot of excitement heading into next year. If we lose to ECU on the road I don't think attendance will be great at the home games. Practically everyone expects Doc to have us well-positioned to get our butts kicked at home.

IMO the key to next season lies completely with QB play. I don't want to pile on IG, however we need a QB that can take over a game and carry us ti a victory from time to time. I don't blame him for the UC debacle. I do think he did us no favors against MTSU and UNCC. If he can grow some in the off season then who knows.If he stays the same and doesn't grow then next season will be a 7-5 or even 6-6 year. If he or someone like Wells steps up then we could go even 9-3 IMO.

Looking at that schedule and the way we play on the road I can't see anything better than 6-6. Green has not grown as a QB , why would we expect it to happen next year? I have little faith in his ability to get us in the end zone on 1st and goal, there are simply to many wasted plays with him back there.

2020 season Marshall finishes undefeated and ranked 13th in the nation... that’s my prediction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT