ADVERTISEMENT

Man hasn't landed on the moon since the early 1970's.

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
Man hasn't landed on the moon since the early 1970's. Equipment was rudimentary. Computers had less computing power than a modern cell phone. Calculations by hand and they were starting from scratch is the previous years.

That was was 52 years ago. Half a century. GPS was not around. No nite vision. No moder LED light sources. Radio technology and communications nowhwere what it is today. Aircraft travel was not as good , nor safe. NO real guided smart bombs othern than ICBM's. TV was still pretty basic. No cable or sat tv. TV's were big wooden boxes. Medicine was not as advanced as today. Batteries not as good.

Then, suddenly they stopped sending men to the moon.

Those people could put a man on the moon with that, but 54 years later nobody is doing it, with all we have.

Why should we?
Well, there is all this talk of traveling in space, colonizing space, going to Mars. Haven't landed a man on the moon in half a century and the last time rotary phones were amazing technology.

Because we never did it the first time?
A customer of mine says he is now 70% convinced we never did it. Elon Musk can't do it and that Branson guy can't do it. He said nobody has done it since 1972. They say a modern cell phone has more power than what NASA had in the 1960's. But, they landed people on the moon. But, suddeny stopped and haven't done it since.

That is what he is telling me.

A customer of mine says he is now 70% convinced we never did it. Elon Musk can't do it and that Branson guy can't do it. He said nobody has done it since 1972. They say a modern cell phone has more power than what NASA had in the 1960's. But, they landed people on the moon. But, suddeny stopped and haven't done it since.

I recently learned of this. Pretty interesting and never underestimate what a bunch of nerdy white guys in the 60s with sliderules could accomplish.

"Baysinger says that on the night of the Apollo 11 landing, he and Rutherford had to essentially aim the antenna at the Moon by getting behind it and sighting it like a gun. This was difficult since the weather was cloudy and the Moon not easily visible. The antenna, which was originally built for Baysinger’s radio astronomy work, had a motorized steering mechanism but it had to be manually guided."

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU

https://www.indiatoday.in/science/s...-apollo-lander-on-the-moon-2517826-2024-03-21

https://www.reddit.com/r/ISRO/s/8fqOAfWNSP

Shocking. Another conspiracy theory from the deplorables. Why do you deplorables get so attached to this weird stuff? Are your lives so miserable that you just want to think bogus things to change your reality, blame your lives on good/more successful people, etc.?

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Shocking. Another conspiracy theory from the deplorables. Why do you deplorables get so attached to this weird stuff? Are your lives so miserable that you just want to think bogus things to change your reality, blame your lives on good/more successful people, etc.?
I was just bringing it up. A customer of mine told me this the other day.

1p18e4.jpg

Reactions: HerdFan73

1. We absolutely did land on the moon.
2.$$$$ NASA had a huge budget back in those days 65-72ish with a peak in 1966 when they purchased all the Saturn Vs their budget was over 4% of the federal budget. Today it’s 0.36% of the budget and a lot of the budget they do have goes to pay salaries instead of hardware etc.
3. If Elon and SpaceX can get Starship squared away it will be a game changer. Going to space, the moon and mars etc is all about price per ton to orbit. NASA spent Billions (basically 1.5 billion per launch) on 36 Space shuttle launches to send the current ISS into orbit. One starship rocket could launch basically the entire ISS. Once they are fully ready it’s speculated to be between 2 million to 5 million per launch. That’s orders of magnitude in difference.
4. It’s basically impossible to fake a moon landing on earth. The physics and terrain is impossible to replicate on a scale big enough to replicate at a movie set. You can replicate a vacuum in small scale but you can’t replicate 1/5 gravity to any believable degree unless you are in a pool and that makes it own issues that make it different.

1. We absolutely did land on the moon.
2.$$$$ NASA had a huge budget back in those days 65-72ish with a peak in 1966 when they purchased all the Saturn Vs their budget was over 4% of the federal budget. Today it’s 0.36% of the budget and a lot of the budget they do have goes to pay salaries instead of hardware etc.
3. If Elon and SpaceX can get Starship squared away it will be a game changer. Going to space, the moon and mars etc is all about price per ton to orbit. NASA spent Billions (basically 1.5 billion per launch) on 36 Space shuttle launches to send the current ISS into orbit. One starship rocket could launch basically the entire ISS. Once they are fully ready it’s speculated to be between 2 million to 5 million per launch. That’s orders of magnitude in difference.
4. It’s basically impossible to fake a moon landing on earth. The physics and terrain is impossible to replicate on a scale big enough to replicate at a movie set. You can replicate a vacuum in small scale but you can’t replicate 1/5 gravity to any believable degree unless you are in a pool and that makes it own issues that make it different.

Also, if we wanted to go back to the moon and grab a few rocks, that could have easily been done now.

We’re building the infrastructure to do so much more this time.

We didn’t stop going to the moon because we forgot how. The benefit didn’t justify the cost. People were already asking why we were still doing lunar missions as early as Apollo 13.

Yes our computers are much better but you don’t really get to the moon with computers. Orbital mechanics are understood well enough that a computer isn’t THAT much better than a guy with a slide rule. You get there with a big expensive metal tube filled with rocket fuel. The Apollo program cost an inflation adjusted $250B. NASA gets 10% of that a year now.

We didn’t stop going to the moon because we forgot how. The benefit didn’t justify the cost. People were already asking why we were still doing lunar missions as early as Apollo 13.

Yes our computers are much better but you don’t really get to the moon with computers. Orbital mechanics are understood well enough that a computer isn’t THAT much better than a guy with a slide rule. You get there with a big expensive metal tube filled with rocket fuel. The Apollo program cost an inflation adjusted $250B. NASA gets 10% of that a year now.
Aka price per ton to orbit. Starship has 74,400 KN thrust with Specific impulse of 327. Saturn V (the moon rocket) had 34,500 KN and a specific impulse of 263. The use of many engines versus 5 engines increased the efficiency and power and had also decreased cost, which in turn lowers price per ton to orbit. Which also currently fits better with todays budget.

Last edited:
Another thread ruined by the usual suspects...

attention_whores__by_kwannak_dag4pfo-fullview.jpg
Does it make you feel better that one of the culprits is taking repeated breaks from his lavish lifestyle to ruin a message board? The other is just a foolish bitter loser of an old man...and a cuckhold.

• Haha
Reactions: KyMUfan

You say 'deplorables' like it's a bad thing. I wear 'deplorables' like a badge of honor. Anyway, I think it's an excellent question. Why haven't we? I believe we did, but why haven't we gone back? I can't speak for everyone, but my life isn't miserable at all. I woke up this morning, blessed with another day. Studies show conservatives are happier than liberals. Maybe it's just me (I doubt it) but if you think I'm at all impressed with you or anyone else, you are the one who lives a sad life.

Is your life based on what you think people think of you? And so what if some believes a conspiracy theory. You believed a hoax. Liberals are the ones who are offended by everything. Hell, you and your tribe expect us to not believe in science, except when it fits your agenda. In fact, you all demand it.

Do you really want to talk about who is attached to weird stuff? I don't think you do, but I will gladly discuss.

Reactions: 19MU88
Maybe it's just me (I doubt it) but if you think I'm at all impressed with you or anyone else,
You keep making comments like that, yet I've never said it. It's like you're obsessed with proving something that nobody has ever said, which in turn, makes one wonder if you constantly battle thoughts of envy.

I believe we landed on the moon. I was just starting a discussion that happened at work the other day.

I believe we landed on the moon. I was just starting a discussion that happened at work the other day.
You're like an annoying wife. Who, that works, wants to spend their free time talking more about work?

"How was work, dear?"
"Do anything exciting at work today?"
"How is that big project coming along, honey?"

Who the fvck cares. Get out of my way, I am trying to eat my dinner, and I don't want to talk about work. You spend most of your waking hours doing that shit as it is. Why would you want to keep talking about it?

• Haha
Reactions: WV-FAN
You're like an annoying wife. Who, that works, wants to spend their free time talking more about work?

"How was work, dear?"
"Do anything exciting at work today?"
"How is that big project coming along, honey?"

Who the fvck cares. Get out of my way, I am trying to eat my dinner, and I don't want to talk about work. You spend most of your waking hours doing that shit as it is. Why would you want to keep talking about it?
Prior to me posting, there were 33 responses and 224 views of this thread. You have responded 3 times in this thread.

Now, sit back and enjoy, Uncle BS.

Prior to me posting, there were 33 responses and 224 views of this thread. You have responded 3 times in this thread.

Now, sit back and enjoy, Uncle BS.
Your wife:

"Well, just be glad that somebody cares enough to ask about your workday. You never ask about mine."

Are your lives so miserable that you just want to think bogus things to change your reality, blame your lives on good/more successful people, etc.?

The implication is there, as usual. We know. Rich.

• Haha
Reactions: 19MU88
how was your work day, rifle?
I haven't "worked" in a long time. Sure, my name may be attached to a couple of companies as a principal/partner, but there is no daily/weekly/monthly interaction there. Plus, it's only noon here. If I did work, it would be at a strip club, so it would be a "work night" for me.

Aka price per ton to orbit. Starship has 74,400 KN thrust with Specific impulse of 327. Saturn V (the moon rocket) had 34,500 KN and a specific impulse of 263. The use of many engines versus 5 engines increased the efficiency and power and had also decreased cost, which in turn lowers price per ton to orbit. Which also currently fits better with todays budget.
Yes and we’ve basically gotten very good at putting things in orbit much cheaper than before, which requires way less delta V than flying to the moon, landing, and coming back. Totally different application, totally different solutions. That and our telescope technology is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was.

I do wish we’d do more with probes and other planets/moons but the direction of NASA and the space industry has made sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT