ADVERTISEMENT

Many in Silicon Valley will celebrate this, but................

raleighherdfan

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 22, 2010
How long before all these "well intentioned-save us big govt" geeks start crying about the FCC rule making they demanded should happen???

What they think they were advocating for (guaranteed "free, fast, unimpeded" internet) will end up costing them. Geniuses at writing computer code.......Idiots at understanding how govt regulations end up impeding growth. There is a reason companies like Google and Amazon kept their mouth shut on this topic. The adults in the room knew to give the kids a piece of candy, they will shut up, quit crying, and we will maintain the control.

Net Neutrality a joke

Anything Comcast supports, I oppose.

Comcast could come out in support of puppies and I would no longer like puppies.

Comcast is an absolutely terrible. If I have to call them one more time and explain to some Indian women that I have my own modem and am not renting one, I am going to scream.

Seriously, how is this not illegal? They just make up charges to add to your bill.

Originally posted by raleighherdfan:
How long before all these "well intentioned-save us big govt" geeks start crying about the FCC rule making they demanded should happen???

What they think they were advocating for (guaranteed "free, fast, unimpeded" internet) will end up costing them. Geniuses at writing computer code.......Idiots at understanding how govt regulations end up impeding growth. There is a reason companies like Google and Amazon kept their mouth shut on this topic. The adults in the room knew to give the kids a piece of candy, they will shut up, quit crying, and we will maintain the control.
So, your ISP being allowed to block or charge extra for someone else's service is good for growth?

FYI, Google and Amazon didn't keep their mouth shut. Amazon came out against the Republican plan in January, and Google came out last year http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/10/googles-studied-silence-on-net-neutrality-has-finally-broken/

I'm glad for net neutrality, I cut the cable cord with Comcast because it was expensive and I didn't watch a lot of tv. But thanks to the no competition in this area I had to keep them for my Internet. Without net neutrality they could've forced increases in the prices I pay for Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc because I didn't pay for their cable television. Among other reasons, it's nice to have freedoms in this country.

Originally posted by Penn2moss:

Comcast is an absolutely terrible. If I have to call them one more time and explain to some Indian women that I have my own modem and am not renting one, I am going to scream.
Just to warn you, it took seven months after I left Comcast to get this exact situation corrected. They wouldn't refund me the $70 they owed me until it got cleared up. This was even after I produced their install invoice which clearly noted "user provided modem."

Penn is on to something.

We have some of the most hated corporations, that also have government granted monopolies in most areas, on one side of the debate. That holds major sway in public opinion.

I don't hate my water company. I don't hate my power company. Time Warner, however, can kiss my ass. Comcast was horrible when I had them. These companies made a choice to abuse their monopolies and give zero fvxks about customer service and satisfaction, and now it is driving this debate.

It also doesn't help that American travel the world and see other nations with higher speeds, and while that is a whole other debate, it reinforces the hatred of our ISPs.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by herdit44:

So, your ISP being allowed to block or charge extra for someone else's service is good for growth?

I'm glad for net neutrality, I cut the cable cord with Comcast because it was expensive and I didn't watch a lot of tv. But thanks to the no competition in this area I had to keep them for my Internet. Without net neutrality they could've forced increases in the prices I pay for Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc because I didn't pay for their cable television. Among other reasons, it's nice to have freedoms in this country.
Yes. Having the freedom of choice to charge more (or less) for a product or service you are providing is good for growth. Imagine a business that doesn't charge a fee for providing another's product or service? (you cant. its basic business 101) Its a basic distributorship model in any other business or industry. It happens everyday. Whether you are buying groceries, or tennis shoes.

You think you still wont pay more for this service because of this potential ruling in the long run?? You are dreaming. Net neutrality does nothing to insure additional competition in your market. You are one of the sheep that blindly falls for cool marketing phrases like "net neutrality", dreams regulation insures equality, fairness, and lower prices.

Its interesting... this "I hate my cable company...customer service sucks" mantra.

Has anyone ever noticed its the same people that bitch about all other aspects of life and have untold issues with almost everything and everyone screwing them over? Seriously. I had TWC for about 10 years. Maybe had to call TWC 2 times in that period of time due to some type of technical issue. Easily switched to ATT a couple years ago when they came through and cut my bill by 20%. Seamless. Been with ATT for 2.5 years now. Maybe one call to Customer Service. The issue was resolved immediately and without issue.

I think most people get up every morning looking to get fvcked over in some way. And the universe is happy to oblige you.

This is what I dont understand. Everyone claims this will be good for competition because they are regulated as a utility. How so? I don't get to pick and choose my power, water, or gas company.

Originally posted by herdfan429:
This is what I dont understand. Everyone claims this will be good for competition because they are regulated as a utility. How so? I don't get to pick and choose my power, water, or gas company.
Bingo.

What we don't understand 429 is that as long as the 99% hear "heavily regulated industry" they happily don't pay attention with real details of how much they are actually being "fleeced" in order to keep them in the 99%. Its actually what happens after decades of caring more about what entertainment is going to be fed to them on TV every evening than anything else.

Its interesting... this "I hate my cable company...customer service sucks" mantra.

Has anyone ever noticed its the same people that bitch about all other aspects of life and have untold issues with almost everything and everyone screwing them over? Seriously. I had TWC for about 10 years. Maybe had to call TWC 2 times in that period of time due to some type of technical issue. Easily switched to ATT a couple years ago when they came through and cut my bill by 20%. Seamless. Been with ATT for 2.5 years now. Maybe one call to Customer Service. The issue was resolved immediately and without issue.

I think most people get up every morning looking to get fvcked over in some way. And the universe is happy to oblige you.
Yep, I just have a bad attitude.

I had to go to the Comcast office 3 times because the first 3 boxes they sent me didn't work. 3 freaking times.

I had to go to the Comcast office 3 times because the first 3 boxes they sent me didn't work. 3 freaking times.
They gave me a bad HD box initially. I called and they said they'd send a tech out, but waive the $49/fee. He came out, said "yup, we gave you a bad box, here's a new one" and it worked perfectly. Then I get my bill that month and the $49/fee is on there, I have to call in and they tell me the way their system is setup they have to bill me for it, but then give me a $49 credit on my next month's bill.

When I cancelled my television service, they billed me for the month after I cancelled my service, but then gave me a credit the next month.

That's a super sketchy billing system, easy for them to take advantage of people that don't pay attention to their bills.

Net neutrality does nothing to insure additional competition in your market.
Net neutrality sounds good in concept, but like many good concepts it tends to ignore some of the realities of the market place. Utilities and energy tend to be areas of natural monopoly and/or oligopoly because of the high barriers to entry anyway, and when regulation (whether through a regulatory agency or by litigation via anti-trust) is added to the stew, there tends to be a squashing of all but the most robust seller(s), causing more consolidation and less competition, and driving costs and prices higher (in varying degrees).

I think the oil industry is a good example of where a seemingly good concept (anti-trust followed by rigorous regulation) creates the unintended consequence of greater monopoly/oligopoly, less competition, and higher prices. When the anti-trust laws were used to bust-up Standard Oil into the 34 or so smaller oil companies, followed by the regulation enacted by congress and the regulatory bodies, within decades, all the smaller companies had been gobbled up by the few remaining players, and now we have conglomerates like Exxon-Mobil (obviously a merger between Exxon and Mobil, wherein each had already gobbled up other smaller oil companies previously created by the anti-trust action against Standard Oil).

IMHO, anti-trust and regulation used against "big oiyl" is a cautionary tale, one the telecoms and those that demand net neutrality consider before leaping headlong into what seems to be an inevitable end.

They gave me a bad HD box initially. I called and they said they'd send a tech out, but waive the $49/fee. He came out, said "yup, we gave you a bad box, here's a new one" and it worked perfectly. Then I get my bill that month and the $49/fee is on there, I have to call in and they tell me the way their system is setup they have to bill me for it, but then give me a $49 credit on my next month's bill.

When I cancelled my television service, they billed me for the month after I cancelled my service, but then gave me a credit the next month.

That's a super sketchy billing system, easy for them to take advantage of people that don't pay attention to their bills.
Sounds like you are all paying for GK's ability to get free streaming service to his brother off his account. Never fear though. Net neutrality will definitely fix their billing systems and end the problem of cable boxes not working.
wink.r191677.gif

Yes. Having the freedom of choice to charge more (or less) for a product or service you are providing is good for growth. Imagine a business that doesn't charge a fee for providing another's product or service? (you cant. its basic business 101) Its a basic distributorship model in any other business or industry. It happens everyday. Whether you are buying groceries, or tennis shoes.

You think you still wont pay more for this service because of this potential ruling in the long run?? You are dreaming. Net neutrality does nothing to insure additional competition in your market. You are one of the sheep that blindly falls for cool marketing phrases like "net neutrality", dreams regulation insures equality, fairness, and lower prices.
Regarding your first point, I can't think of a utility that does selectively charge extra (or reduce service) for one use or another. My water bill is the same per gallon whether I run laundry or take a shower. My gas bill is the same per unit for heating as for cooking.
For improving competition this doesn't do that for the ISPs, it improves competition for the content creators/providers. Comcast can't reduce service to Netflix now to shake them down for money, and (and this is the point), the next Netflix doesn't have to worry about Comcast doing that when they're looking for investors.

This post was edited on 2/25 5:07 PM by HerdandHokies

Comcast is in major trouble. It is just a matter of time before we can all get internet wirelessly at a cheap price.

Their TV system is dead as well. Everyone will stream TV over net soon.

Wireless Internet we already get, but getting the tower density to be able to do it for home level usages is something I haven't heard of people trying to do yet, or even really talking about. Is something in the works?

Originally posted by HerdandHokies:

Regarding your first point, I can't think of a utility that does selectively charge extra (or reduce service) for one use or another. My water bill is the same per gallon whether I run laundry or take a shower. My gas bill is the same per unit for heating as for cooking.
For improving competition this doesn't do that for the ISPs, it improves competition for the content creators/providers. Comcast can't reduce service to Netflix now to shake them down for money, and (and this is the point), the next Netflix doesn't have to worry about Comcast doing that when they're looking for investors.

You are wrong HH on both points. There are absolutely different rates charged for individuals who use utilities. Industrial/business clients also pay more or less based on their usage compared to individuals. Rates for individuals in one municipality may have a different rate structure based on that areas usage despite being next door to another municipality using the same company's service. As an individual you may or may not be charged more for peak- off peak usage times in your area or different seasonal rates due to higher/lower demand in your area. (you most likely are) This is exactly what the ISPs were considering establishing as demand on bandwidth continues to be gobbled up and used. ISPs attempt to establish this way of billing is no different than any other business which owns its means of transporting products or services to the end user.

Another simple analogy of this situation would be the use of transport companies. Why do delivery companies charge different rates for size and weight of packages? Should the govt prevent what rates FedEx, UPS, USPS charge you or other package clients for shipping packages to the end user? (I would imagine some idiots would say "Yes"). Based on these types of rate systems, producers actually have more leverage in negotiating better rates for their product's delivery......not less. Prices paid are driven down as a result. Such "protection" regulation limits the ability for both sides to negotiate the best price/ service for all their businesses.

Of course it does not improve competition for more ISPs. I never said it did. In fact this type of regulation insures to limit it even further as it further reduces opportunity for new competition into that side of the market (that actually needs it). The view that this regulation only limits how the current ISPs can charge content producers is naïve and incredibly stupid. Suggesting this "improves" the competition for producers of content is also very misguided. It ultimately will raise the cost they pay (you pay) and raise the cost for entry for new players into this area simply based on ever increasing demand on a system that will now face headwinds for additional bandwidth build out. Raised cost=lower ROI=greater risk=slowed bandwidth build-out by ISPs= fewer players in the content side of business.........

HH. If you are "investing in a new Netflix" and bandwidth has become more limited because price/rate controls reduced the platforms to transport your new product...ultimately reducing the amount of content that can be carried/transmitted to your potential new customers (aka SALES).......do you really think that makes the "new Netflix" a viable investment?

There is a big part of me that believes the powers on both sides of this debate actually supported this stupid idea behind closed doors. (its probably why the reps caved again). It turns the ISPs into a bigger utility type industry, guaranteeing their monopolies; while also helping to establish a new monopoly system on the content side as well.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke MU:

There is a reason companies like Google and Amazon kept their mouth shut on this topic.
Google is pretty much tweaking the final regulations, and they are not on the side of the ISP's. Linked article posted at 5:38 PM today.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/fcc-chairman-tom-wheeler-net-neutrality-plan-google-115502.html?hp=rc3_4
Doesn't change anything I have said...........from the article you linked.

"They do not appear to alter the main thrust of Wheeler's proposed order, which would regulate broadband like a public utility" Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/fcc-chairman-tom-wheeler-net-neutrality-plan-google-115502.html#ixzz3SoJUBSzA

Google (as a company) actually did not take a PUBLIC position or make a public opinion known on this debate until earlier this month after years of debate. (which was my point). As of Feb 2, they (for the first time) openly supported net neutrality in a public statement explaining their support. My very next sentence within that post also pointed out they have indeed allowed the "kids to have their candy". Do you wish to make the point that I was actually talking about real kids getting real candy as well. The article you linked us to states exactly what I was essentially saying and said further in later posts. Ultimately if google hadn't supported the concept of net neutrality this would have been a DOA issue.

"They do not appear to alter the main thrust of Wheeler's proposed order, which would regulate broadband like a public utility"

Another simple analogy of this situation would be the use of transport companies. Why do delivery companies charge different rates for size and weight of packages? Should the govt prevent what rates FedEx, UPS, USPS charge you or other package clients for shipping packages to the end user? (I would imagine some idiots would say "Yes"). Based on these types of rate systems, producers actually have more leverage in negotiating better rates for their product's delivery......not less. Prices paid are driven down as a result. Such "protection" regulation limits the ability for both sides to negotiate the best price/ service for all their businesses.
Wow. That was an absolutely terrible analogy.

A better example would be if UPS was the only shipping company in America and they went to Amazon and told them, "we are not going to ship any more of your packages because there are just too many....unless you pay us $1 million dollars" Amazon would be like: "you mean to tell me that we are creating so much business and creating so much profit that you are mad? Shouldn't you be cutting us a discount or something??? If you stop shipping our products we will go out of business so I guess we have no choice."

Airlines aren't allowed to block employees from certain companies from flying and we don't have a problem with that.

What happens when Netflix pays Comcast 10 million to block all users from accessing Amazon plus or Hulu?

You are wrong HH on both points. There are absolutely different rates charged for individuals who use utilities. Industrial/business clients also pay more or less based on their usage compared to individuals. Rates for individuals in one municipality may have a different rate structure based on that areas usage despite being next door to another municipality using the same company's service. As an individual you may or may not be charged more for peak- off peak usage times in your area or different seasonal rates due to higher/lower demand in your area. (you most likely are) This is exactly what the ISPs were considering establishing as demand on bandwidth continues to be gobbled up and used. ISPs attempt to establish this way of billing is no different than any other business which owns its means of transporting products or services to the end user.

Of course it does not improve competition for more ISPs. I never said it did. In fact this type of regulation insures to limit it even further as it further reduces opportunity for new competition into that side of the market (that actually needs it). The view that this regulation only limits how the current ISPs can charge content producers is naïve and incredibly stupid. Suggesting this "improves" the competition for producers of content is also very misguided. It ultimately will raise the cost they pay (you pay) and raise the cost for entry for new players into this area simply based on ever increasing demand on a system that will now face headwinds for additional bandwidth build out. Raised cost=lower ROI=greater risk=slowed bandwidth build-out by ISPs= fewer players in the content side of business.........

HH. If you are "investing in a new Netflix" and bandwidth has become more limited because price/rate controls reduced the platforms to transport your new product...ultimately reducing the amount of content that can be carried/transmitted to your potential new customers (aka SALES).......do you really think that makes the "new Netflix" a viable investment?

There is a big part of me that believes the powers on both sides of this debate actually supported this stupid idea behind closed doors. (its probably why the reps caved again). It turns the ISPs into a bigger utility type industry, guaranteeing their monopolies; while also helping to establish a new monopoly system on the content side as well.
I'm not sure if you're being intentionally dense or if you are just extremely unintelligent, but try and understand how nonsensical your analogy is.

If an ISP wants to charge you, the customer, extra for using over a certain amount of data then they can. Mobile data carries already do this. It's not popular because it doesn't make sense to cap overall data use when high traffic data use is all that really matters, but it's possible. ISPs already charge more for faster internet, and charge more for business class internet. Data speeds are already slower during peak hours. ISPs already charge different customers different rates. None of that is going to change.

This is about preventing ISPs from throttling the content providers A) Because they have vested interests in those providers competitors or B) So that they can shake down those companies for money to get into the so called 'fast lane.'

This would be exactly the same as your electric company going to GE and Samsung and saying "Well, a whole lot of your customers are using our electricity, so unless you pay up we're going to make sure your competitor's products work with our electricity but yours do not." I'm the customer. I'm paying for the electricity. Why should the electricity provider tell me what I can use it for? They can charge me more if I use more of course, or charge differently at different times, but not control the end use.

Likewise, I'm the customer. I'm paying for 30 Mbps internet speed. Why should the ISP be allowed to tell me what I can use it for? They can charge me more for faster internet, or put in the contract that if I go over X GB in a month I get throttled, but allowing them to block or degrade access to companies they compete with (the classic, and likely, example being Comcast degrading Netflix to promote Hulu) is bad for everyone.

Wow. That was an absolutely terrible analogy.

A better example would be if UPS was the only shipping company in America and they went to Amazon and told them, "we are not going to ship any more of your packages because there are just too many....unless you pay us $1 million dollars" Amazon would be like: "you mean to tell me that we are creating so much business and creating so much profit that you are mad? Shouldn't you be cutting us a discount or something??? If you stop shipping our products we will go out of business so I guess we have no choice."

Airlines aren't allowed to block employees from certain companies from flying and we don't have a problem with that.

What happens when Netflix pays Comcast 10 million to block all users from accessing Amazon plus or Hulu?
Maybe you need to look up what an analogy is Penn.

UPS is not the only shipping company in the country and Comcast is not the only ISP company in the country. The point of offering an analogy is that they are similar. Your...."IF" UPS were the only shipping company and "IF" Comcast were the only ISP has no similarity to the actual situation being compared. The same way your attempt at "employees/airlines" has no comparison to this topic at all. Senseless.

Why would Netflix pay Comcast to block users??? Such an act would most likely already be covered under FTC anti trust law making it illegal for your scenario anyway. The whole point of "net neutrality" prevents Comcast from customizing rates for the products and services it provides to content providers like Netflix unless they go to a govt bureaucracy and apply for permission to obtain an approved rate. Very basic (anti)business (utility) concept. This is horrible for future growth prospects across the net. The guys that are currently at the table now are winners in this deal for sure........good luck for anyone else that wanted to get into the game.

I'm not sure if you're being intentionally dense or if you are just extremely unintelligent, but try and understand how nonsensical your analogy is.

If an ISP wants to charge you, the customer, extra for using over a certain amount of data then they can. Mobile data carries already do this. It's not popular because it doesn't make sense to cap overall data use when high traffic data use is all that really matters, but it's possible. ISPs already charge more for faster internet, and charge more for business class internet. Data speeds are already slower during peak hours. ISPs already charge different customers different rates. None of that is going to change.

This is about preventing ISPs from throttling the content providers A) Because they have vested interests in those providers competitors or B) So that they can shake down those companies for money to get into the so called 'fast lane.'

This would be exactly the same as your electric company going to GE and Samsung and saying "Well, a whole lot of your customers are using our electricity, so unless you pay up we're going to make sure your competitor's products work with our electricity but yours do not." I'm the customer. I'm paying for the electricity. Why should the electricity provider tell me what I can use it for? They can charge me more if I use more of course, or charge differently at different times, but not control the end use.

Likewise, I'm the customer. I'm paying for 30 Mbps internet speed. Why should the ISP be allowed to tell me what I can use it for? They can charge me more for faster internet, or put in the contract that if I go over X GB in a month I get throttled, but allowing them to block or degrade access to companies they compete with (the classic, and likely, example being Comcast degrading Netflix to promote Hulu) is bad for everyone.
First. You were the one who first attempted to claim electric companies don't charge you or others different rates at different times based on usage and demand (or threaten to reduce service if the rates are not paid)............THEY DO. Do you not think that the manufacturing plant or other small business in your community, for which you may buy products services from, pays a different rate for its electric than you do based on their usage and demand? Of course they do. In this case you are both customers of the electric company's service with varying rates and demands being necessary to meet both your needs. What would the electric company do to your favorite restaurant if they suddenly refused to pay their electric bill simply because you pay for your electric usage, while also being a customer for their sandwiches to consume?

Second. Does Comcast not own it's bandwidth? Do they not build it out, manage it, etc? Netflix wishes to use Comcast service to transmit their product. Whether you pay for 30mbps is really pointless here IMO. Because Comcast needs to have the capacity to carry it all for all customers (you and Netflix in this case). Its not just about what you suck up, its also about what Netflix puts out. You are both customers of Comcast and as such Comcast should have the ability to charge for the various service levels (speeds) they provide for all customers on both sides of the equation if they desire.

Third. As far as the argument that Comcast shouldn't be allowed to restrict web sites/services to you from the other "customer" simply based on what you pay for: Good grief man. This already happens regularly across the entertainment/content industry. Content providers/networks have frequently been pulled off cable company line ups or satellite providers because the two party's couldn't agree on a contract for fees on distribution of content regardless of what the consumer "pays for". Do you not remember the disputes between CBS and TimeWarner Cable which almost resulted in a large chunk of NFL games and other programming unseen by customers? How about Dish Networks dispute between Fox and Dish pulling some local sports programming in some markets because they couldn't agree on fees???? I also lost a couple channels available to me when I switched from TWC to ATT despite my wife's desire we have them. This is really no different. Its business. Its competition.

Fourth. As I told Penn. Some "degrading" scenario where Hulu pays Comcast to slow Netflix or other collusion type situation in varying ways between these parties probably falls under FTC anti trust law now. Net Neutrality as a regulation offers no more protection to you from this type of illegal business dealing. Furthermore. Just like the utility industry.........these rates and fees will eventually be charged anyway to all parties who use ISPs services. Some new powerful govt internet rate commission will see to that.

What's not intelligent is that some actually think this will protect them from greater monopolized industry, higher rates, slower speeds, and poor customer service. Whats not intelligent is some believing this will create more competition and a greater number of content providers when the history of converting past industries into "public protected utilities" or "govt protected monopolies" shows no such occurrence long term.

Sounds like you are all paying for GK's ability to get free streaming service to his brother off his account. Never fear though. Net neutrality will definitely fix their billing systems and end the problem of cable boxes not working.
wink.r191677.gif
For the record, my brother buys and pays for cable service so he doesnt really need to stream off of my account. I was truly curious if it could be done. So now I know it can. So if anyone ELSE with less scruples than myself wanted to piggyback off of an acquaintances account, the ability to do so certainly exists. Just sayin'.

wink.r191677.gif

First. You were the one who first attempted to claim electric companies don't charge you or others different rates at different times based on usage and demand (or threaten to reduce service if the rates are not paid)............THEY DO. Do you not think that the manufacturing plant or other small business in your community, for which you may buy products services from, pays a different rate for its electric than you do based on their usage and demand? Of course they do. In this case you are both customers of the electric company's service with varying rates and demands being necessary to meet both your needs. What would the electric company do to your favorite restaurant if they suddenly refused to pay their electric bill simply because you pay for your electric usage, while also being a customer for their sandwiches to consume?

Second. Does Comcast not own it's bandwidth? Do they not build it out, manage it, etc? Netflix wishes to use Comcast service to transmit their product. Whether you pay for 30mbps is really pointless here IMO. Because Comcast needs to have the capacity to carry it all for all customers (you and Netflix in this case). Its not just about what you suck up, its also about what Netflix puts out. You are both customers of Comcast and as such Comcast should have the ability to charge for the various service levels (speeds) they provide for all customers on both sides of the equation if they desire.

Third. As far as the argument that Comcast shouldn't be allowed to restrict web sites/services to you from the other "customer" simply based on what you pay for: Good grief man. This already happens regularly across the entertainment/content industry. Content providers/networks have frequently been pulled off cable company line ups or satellite providers because the two party's couldn't agree on a contract for fees on distribution of content regardless of what the consumer "pays for". Do you not remember the disputes between CBS and TimeWarner Cable which almost resulted in a large chunk of NFL games and other programming unseen by customers? How about Dish Networks dispute between Fox and Dish pulling some local sports programming in some markets because they couldn't agree on fees???? I also lost a couple channels available to me when I switched from TWC to ATT despite my wife's desire we have them. This is really no different. Its business. Its competition.

Fourth. As I told Penn. Some "degrading" scenario where Hulu pays Comcast to slow Netflix or other collusion type situation in varying ways between these parties probably falls under FTC anti trust law now. Net Neutrality as a regulation offers no more protection to you from this type of illegal business dealing. Furthermore. Just like the utility industry.........these rates and fees will eventually be charged anyway to all parties who use ISPs services. Some new powerful govt internet rate commission will see to that.

What's not intelligent is that some actually think this will protect them from greater monopolized industry, higher rates, slower speeds, and poor customer service. Whats not intelligent is some believing this will create more competition and a greater number of content providers when the history of converting past industries into "public protected utilities" or "govt protected monopolies" shows no such occurrence long term.
You REALLY need to try to understand what net neutrality is all about instead of just spewing out insane "analogies."

Netflix is absolutely NOT a customer of Comcast.

Oh well, we get it, you want bigger government, less freedoms. Great, good for you, but you'd do your self a service if you attempted to understand how things actually work, instead of throwing out absurd examples that aren't remotely the same as this situation.

Thought I would add one final link to this thread.

Another good interview with Mark Cuban and Business Insider. He demonstrates just how short sighted the Pro Net Neutrality crowd is. A little long but worth the read. Shows how far this country has fallen when even a "pro-business" magazine blindly supports turning an innovative expanding industry into a govt-public utility.

another good interview with M.C. on this topic

You REALLY need to try to understand what net neutrality is all about instead of just spewing out insane "analogies."

Netflix is absolutely NOT a customer of Comcast.

Oh well, we get it, you want bigger government, less freedoms. Great, good for you, but you'd do your self a service if you attempted to understand how things actually work, instead of throwing out absurd examples that aren't remotely the same as this situation.
Um. You realize by supporting net neutrality you are supporting the increased expansion of a govt/bureaucracy/regulation over the industry......not LESS govt? I am actually advocating less govt and more business freedom here. What you support insures govt granted monopoly status continues and actually expands. It appears the only "freedom" you care about or understand is the ability for you to feel you are getting "free" or "less expensive" entertainment no matter someone else's cost.

Maybe you should read up a little more on the topic. Netflix is a customer of Comcast just as you are........as even better explained by Mark Cuban in my link above. My analogies hold water in these comparisons too. I understand comparing EXACT components between industries is impossible, but that's not the definition or purpose of an analogy. Analogies demonstrate similarities. And in this case......as I demonstrated....they do.

You need to do a little better job of explaining what you actually know about this topic beyond simply saying "Nah-Uh!" I know its tough to do but that's what is required when a new proposed regulation of over 300 pages becomes a topic on a message board. Simply replying the way you have shows you know far less than what I've shared my opinion to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT