ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall at VPI on Dec 1 (maybe)

IF the game does happen, I hope the agreement includes a trip by VT to Huntington.

I wonder how many tickets Marshall will get for the game? I like to think that Marshall could bring a nice amount of fans to the game given that it's an easy drive for many of them.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
IF the game does happen, I hope the agreement includes a trip by VT to Huntington.

I wonder how many tickets Marshall will get for the game? I like to think that Marshall could bring a nice amount of fans to the game given that it's an easy drive for many of them.
There’s 18 people there today so my guess is we might get 20

The last time we played there was memorable. The atmosphere is awesome with enter sandman and that rain in the end was a monsoon. Knock down the pass on 4th in overtime and we win, instead they catch it. Ugh.

Last edited:
Won't get my hopes up. VT won't beat UVA and Miami spanked them today. That will leave them at 4-7 with no chance at a bowl.

Anyone else bothered by the offer? They need us to play to get to 6 wins and I'm guessing we are either a patsy or will be expected to lay down for 1.4M so they can make it to a bowl and receive more money. Pretty arrogant I think.
Better to nurse our injuries and prepare for our own bowl game. JMHO!

VPI enters the Friday game on four game losing streak. Hard to figure with the unexplainable loss to ODU. The rest of their losses are to solid teams (Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Pitt, and Miami). Only good-ish team they have beat is Duke. UVa comes in a 7-4, but has played a far weaker schedule. Have not seen a line posted yet, but it looks like a toss up.

As to VPI thinking we are a "patsy", well any P5 teams should expect they are better than a G5. We make some money out of it, get on some form of TV, play a name team we can beat, probably get something if Virginia win and we don't play, and develop a relationship with a nearby school that could give us games in other sports over time. It is good.

VPI made a generational mistake with its last coaching hire.

Anyone else bothered by the offer? They need us to play to get to 6 wins and I'm guessing we are either a patsy or will be expected to lay down for 1.4M so they can make it to a bowl and receive more money. Pretty arrogant I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe only a few teams fit the perfect availability scenario, that begin only having played 11 games due to a weather cancellation. So if you're one of those teams not playing in a conference championship game, but have already reached bowl eligibility, you essentially hold all the cards, when it comes to brokering the best deal. From what I've heard we already have 1.3 in the bank due to the cancellation insurance policy. So I wouldn't make the move to add another game unless it came with at least a 1.5 mil payout and a return game to Huntington. In the case of Va Tech, they have already played an FCS team, so they have to play an FBS game in order for it to count towards bowl eligibility. If I were MH I would get another team into the bidding process for leverage, and get a deal done this week (that's the key), so that everything doesn't hinge on the Va Tech - UVa outcome. If it's Va Tech, maybe that's where the payout amount comes into play, if you sign a deal this week we'll do it for 1.5 Mil and a return game, (insurance in-case they lose to Virginia) but if you wait till after the outcome of the UVa game, and Tech wins, well the price for doing business just went up. It's gonna cost you 2.0 Mil and a return game. Lastly I don't think a win or a loss to Va Tech improves or diminishes our bowl destination. So it's not like were selling out this season for the future, we just happen to be in a very unique situation.

HiA - good points all. I know Nebraska signed a MAC for #12; NCState has ECU, SC signed a (Sunbelt?) opponent for 12/1...other than the Herd, who else is even available to get into a bidding war? Let’s see, the above teams, + MU makes 7......The So Miss Igles makes 8....Appy St gets the total to 9.....who am I missing?

Why is everyone referring to them as VPI? Most people refer to them as VT right? I’m aware of the name Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University but no normal person calls them this.

HiA - good points all. I know Nebraska signed a MAC for #12; NCState has ECU, SC signed a (Sunbelt?) opponent for 12/1...other than the Herd, who else is even available to get into a bidding war? Let’s see, the above teams, + MU makes 7......The So Miss Igles makes 8....Appy St gets the total to 9.....who am I missing?

Well there's the team up north who had their game again NC State cancelled. After their loss last night to OK State, they are out to the CFP picture. And even if they beat OK this weekend I don't know what the tiebreak scenario is in the Big-12, so they might need that 12th game to try and garner a NYE-6 at large bowl game.

$1.4 or 1.5m my ass. They need us more than we need them. $5m at the least. They have the cash! And they have to play us in Htown two games over the next three years.

Iowa State just had December 1 become open with Incarnate Word making the FCS playoffs

Not necessarily. The opening round games of the FCS playoffs are this upcoming Saturday, November 24th. Incarnate Word has to travel to Montana State for their game and if they lose, which is the likely outcome, they'll still have December 1st open to play Iowa State.

Iowa State just had December 1 become open with Incarnate Word making the FCS playoffs

If Incarnate Word loses their 1st round game against Montana State on Nov 24, they are still going to come to Ames and play that game on Dec 1. (Iowa State lost a game due to a 5 hour lightning storm--It was a 7PM kickoff- so got IW as a replacement game.)

When I win the lottery I'm calling the ADs of Marshall and Iowa State and arranging a series financed by my large donation to each school.

Tons and tons of folks refer to them as VPI and have for decades.

I don’t think they consider us a patsy. They just don’t have a ton of options.

I love it. Let’s suit up and play!

Well...considering how much hell MU gets for not scheduling a marquee opponent...I'd take this game.
Hamrick has the advantage because of the timing and availability of MU and also able to set this up in a fairly quick fashion.
Wouldn't it be something if MU ended VPI's 25 year bowl streak?

Reactions: minvikfan1
It hasn’t been called VPI since the 70s but ok call it whatever you want.. I’m 32 and had plenty of beer but funny.. I guess??I hope we start actually playing some actual football teams so we can finally fire Doc.. with this weak ass conference USA which we can’t even win, will never fire him with this sorry competition.

Last edited:
It hasn’t been called VPI since the 70s but ok call it whatever you want.. I’m 32 and had plenty of beer but funny.. I guess??I hope we start actually playing some actual football teams so we can finally fire Doc.. with this weak ass conference USA which we can’t even win will never fire him with weak teams

You may be 32 but you obviously don’t know jack sh@t about college athletics if you haven’t heard VT referred to VPI 50+ times in the last decade.

Not to mention, using the term “retard” to mock or make fun of someone is tacky, trashy and completely messed up.

No wonder folks thought you were 15.

I played college football, I think I may know a thing or two thanks though.. I was first attacked with a snarky remark “pull my panties out my ass” so I returned a snarky remark I agree I could have used better wording and apologize if I offended anyone with that.

Last edited:
‘86 - I think you got off track with that “normal person” jab!! I agree that most folks under 30 aren’t going to make the connection, but we are generally 40+ to 70 on here so we are privy to all of those arcane acronyms. You’re not really contributing on here unless you get called out - welcome......

I work several months of the year out of town. All are in the Pulaski, Blacksburg, Christiansburg area. I’m rooting for Tech to beat Virginia. I hear too much crap from Tech fans. I wear my Kelly green while I’m there. I’ve made hotel reservations, waiting on ticket details. Rooms can be cancelled if the Hoos win. I want The Herd to put the bowl streak to an end. Very irritating Tech fans.

I work several months of the year out of town. All are in the Pulaski, Blacksburg, Christiansburg area. I’m rooting for Tech to beat Virginia. I hear too much crap from Tech fans. I wear my Kelly green while I’m there. I’ve made hotel reservations, waiting on ticket details. Rooms can be cancelled if the Hoos win. I want The Herd to put the bowl streak to an end. Very irritating Tech fans.

Amen to VT fans being "irritating" - they are win or lose!

Why is everyone referring to them as VPI? Most people refer to them as VT right? I’m aware of the name Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University but no normal person calls them this.
Tech's fight song:

Techmen, we're Techmen, with spirit true and faithful,
Backing up our team with hopes undying;
Techmen, Oh, Techmen, we're out to win today,
Showing "pep" and life with which we're trying;
V. P., old V. P. You know our hearts are with you,
In our luck which never seems to die;
Win or lose we'll greet you with a glad returning,
You're the pride of V. P. I.

Chorus:
Just watch our men so big and active,
Support the Orange and Maroon,
Let's go, Techs! We know our ends and backs are stronger,
With winning hopes, we fear defeat no longer,
To see our team plow through the line, boys,
Determined now to win or die;
So give a Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi!
Rae, Ri, old V. P. I.

Fight men, Oh, fight men! we're going to be champions,
Adding to our list another vict'ry;
Football or baseball, the games in which we star,
They're the sports that made old V. P. famous.
Hold them, just hold them! Your know the corps' behind you,
Watching ev'ry movement that you make;
Winning games was nothing for our teams before us,
Keep the "rep" for V. P's. sake.

"VPI Victory March"

You have seen the Hoyas tumble,
You have made the Indians cry,
And you know the Army mule
Once took a kick at V. P. I.
Worthy teams from Lexington
Have fought with all their might;
But now it's time to show the world
That VPI can fight.

Interlude:
GO, TECH!
GO, TECH!
H! O! K! I! E! S!
HOKIES!

Chorus:
Clear the way, so that team from Tech
Can roll to Victory!
No foe can stand the test,
So fight your best, and we will do the rest.
Strength and speed keep you in the lead;
You'll never go astray.
Our banner high shall ever fly
For victory is ours today.

Reactions: Jeepers Creepers

Because it pisses Hokie fans off if you do. WVU always listed the school as "VPI" on its scoreboard when they were independent, the "Big" East made them stop. UVa and its fans also do that a lot.

People from down around Bluefield or Lewisburg, where there is a lot of interest in VPI and if a person says "VPI" they are either a Spamite or a Wahoo.

If Incarnate Word loses their 1st round game against Montana State on Nov 24, they are still going to come to Ames and play that game on Dec 1. (Iowa State lost a game due to a 5 hour lightning storm--It was a 7PM kickoff- so got IW as a replacement game.)

When I win the lottery I'm calling the ADs of Marshall and Iowa State and arranging a series financed by my large donation to each school.

Quick question, I have no idea how much Incarnate Word is getting for their game in Ames, let's assume that because it's against a Big-12 team it's close to a million. IW and their first round opponent Montana State seem pretty evenly matched, so what is the likelihood IW tanks their first round FCS match-up in lieu of a big payday the following week?

Quick question, I have no idea how much Incarnate Word is getting for their game in Ames, let's assume that because it's against a Big-12 team it's close to a million. IW and their first round opponent Montana State seem pretty evenly matched, so what is the likelihood IW tanks their first round FCS match-up in lieu of a big payday the following week?

As your resident Cyclone, it is my understanding Incarnate Word is getting paid $330K plus ISU is picking up the charter aircraft cost. If ISU had made the B12 Championship game, they would have used the plane themselves, but now they'll fly IWU on it.

That is around average for what ISU pays FCS schools to come in, though typically it is someone geographically close that can bus in, like Northern Iowa or one of the Missouri or Dakota schools.

FBS schools get paid a lot more because you are limited to only 1 FCS win towards bowl eligibility, so the FBS "patsies" are worth more. The price varies depending on type of series. I think ISU paid Akron around $750K this year, but ISU also agreed to a 1 and 1 home and away series with them, which lowers the price.

ISU is currently bowl eligible, so they don't need to pay out the keester to someone if IWU can't play. If they don't play the game, ISU is still going bowling. And ISU isn't going to make any money on tickets, as everybody who purchased a ticket for the cancelled South Dakota State game can reuse it to get in free. The only advantage for ISU is eyeballs on their Tier 3 TV station, and game reps for their younger players.

There are rumors floating around on the ISU Rivals site, CycloneReport.com, that if IWU can't play, some other mystery school is in the works. But no names have really surfaced yet. Some are throwing around Marshall if the VT game falls thru. As much as I would love to see it, I can't imagine ISU would pay a FBS school like Marshall for a game they don't really need unless the head coach really wants to get another game in for the younger guys. Or unless Marshall would come to Ames for FCS type money (and a charter plane)

ADVERTISEMENT