ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall, ODU, So. Miss are officially out of CUSA

The three schools have gotten out in order to join the Sun Belt as of July 1... Terms not yet disclosed, but I'm guessing Judy gets 10 percent off her next Dutch Miller Kia and a dozen pepperoni rolls.

Sun Belt 3 are out of CUSA

I am really shocked Judy is still employed...how have the remaining teams allowed her to stay on?

According to the paper this morning the settlement will cost the schools "reportedly less than $2 million each"... Im guessing it's $1.5 million from each school for early exit.

If that's the case, cut them a check today and GTFO.
Also says travel costs saved the next few years should equal out that payment.

Reactions: RhinoD and HerdFB1
According to the paper this morning the settlement will cost the schools "reportedly less than $2 million each"... Im guessing it's $1.5 million from each school for early exit.

If that's the case, cut them a check today and GTFO.

To think some in the MU BoG were hesitant on leaving because they anticipated "a huge paycheck" from all the departing members.
The settlement is basically a P5 1 and done.

I think that is the pattern going forward. Play everyone in your division every year and one home and one away vs the opposite division.

Like CUSA, the conference championship is a highest rated hosts deal. Would be nice to see a neutral site, but that is probably not realistic.

As far as basketball goes, no idea. Up until now the league didn't have divisions and played 18 games with no rhyme or reason as to who played whom twice, AFAIK. Also don't know if all 14 will make the conference tournament, which would add an extra day to something that if you saw it on TV, could not be making money. Basketball tournament is in Pensacola, FL, BTW. Mostly in the town's civic center, with some of the early round women's game in a gym at a small college.

Baseball tournament is moving to Montgomery, AL, in a AA venue.

As to the money, AFAIK, this is a public record and I'm sure the paperwork from the H-D is already on its way to the attorney general's office.

A stale and moldy pizza roll and a used, dented clunker of a Yuko from Dutch Miller are much too good for Commish Judy, IMO!!!

• Haha
Reactions: BleedsGreen33
From what I understand from some Sun Belt posters, the rotation is faster with cross-divisional opponents. For instance, next year won't be @ULL and Troy at home... It'll be two completely different opponents. Once we have played every cross divisional team, THEN we would go to ULL and host Troy.

At least that is the was it was explained to me unless I misunderstood...which is entirely possible. lol

From what I understand from some Sun Belt posters, the rotation is faster with cross-divisional opponents. For instance, next year won't be @ULL and Troy at home... It'll be two completely different opponents. Once we have played every cross divisional team, THEN we would go to ULL and host Troy.

At least that is the was it was explained to me unless I misunderstood...which is entirely possible. lol
That's good news. I got tired of playing Southern Miss and UTEP 4 years in a row.

Not unexpected, but WSAZ announced that the SBC men’s soccer program has been made official. SBC previously did not offer men’s soccer. Coastal Carolina thus played in CUSA and Georgia Southern and Georgia State played in the MAC.

New league will feature full-time SBC schools, Marshall, James Madison, Old Dominion, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern and Georgia State, along with three teams that are in leagues that do not offer men’s soccer, WVU, South Carolina, and Kentucky. WVU previously was in the MAC, USC and UK in CUSA. WVU was set to join CUSA this fall.

The departure of WVU, Georgia Southern and Georgia State from the MAC puts it at only four programs, which will end its automatic bid. CUSA, after all the moves will be also left with two programs, Liberty and Florida International.

Reactions: RhinoD
That's good news. I got tired of playing Southern Miss and UTEP 4 years in a row.
Southern Miss should be a protected game for us (or at least should have been) and we haven't played UTEP since 2010.

And, according to Brent McMurphy, the CUSA to SBC buy-out was $1.75M per team plus forgoing one year of “conference revenue”. Apparently the contract is not clear if “conference revenue” includes the money the P5 pay the G5 from the college football playoff and the NCAA basketball revenue, or not. This is going to be arbitrated and if we lose its another $1.25M, if we win its less than $200K.

McMurphy has also reported that the CUSA replacements going to the AAC will likewise pay the same $$ to join the AAC for the 23 season. The 14 month notice deadline has passed, but CUSA granted an extension. Pretty much a done deal.

Leaving the AAC field-fillers going the the “Big” 12. The Snake Oil salesman demanded $35M, but it looks like a settlement will be about $17M each and they will play in 23.

This, theoretically, leaves the “Big” 12 as a 14 team league for 23 and 24. Of course, this won’t happen, and look for the news of Texas and Oklahoma buying out early to hit soon. Everybody will be in their new spot by 23. No idea how much Texas and Oklahoma will pay to move up to the SEC.

CUSA is apparently considering adding 14K student Tarleton State, which was DII until 20 and just moved up to FCS (I-AA). It has a 15K stadium it shares with a HS; and a 3K basketball gym; and 14K student Eastern Kentucky, which is I-AA and has 20K seat stadium and a 6.5K gym.

And, according to Brent McMurphy, the CUSA to SBC buy-out was $1.75M per team plus forgoing one year of “conference revenue”. Apparently the contract is not clear if “conference revenue” includes the money the P5 pay the G5 from the college football playoff and the NCAA basketball revenue, or not. This is going to be arbitrated and if we lose its another $1.25M, if we win its less than $200K.

McMurphy has also reported that the CUSA replacements going to the AAC will likewise pay the same $$ to join the AAC for the 23 season. The 14 month notice deadline has passed, but CUSA granted an extension. Pretty much a done deal.

Leaving the AAC field-fillers going the the “Big” 12. The Snake Oil salesman demanded $35M, but it looks like a settlement will be about $17M each and they will play in 23.

This, theoretically, leaves the “Big” 12 as a 14 team league for 23 and 24. Of course, this won’t happen, and look for the news of Texas and Oklahoma buying out early to hit soon. Everybody will be in their new spot by 23. No idea how much Texas and Oklahoma will pay to move up to the SEC.

CUSA is apparently considering adding 14K student Tarleton State, which was DII until 20 and just moved up to FCS (I-AA). It has a 15K stadium it shares with a HS; and a 3K basketball gym; and 14K student Eastern Kentucky, which is I-AA and has 20K seat stadium and a 6.5K gym.
Hopefully within a few years, you'll have a new division, at least in football. Personally, I think that would make football more enjoyable for about 80 teams that currently have no chance at competing at the higher level. Number is really closer to 110-115 teams that currently have no chance, but 80 teams would make for a decent return to D1AA.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Hopefully within a few years, you'll have a new division, at least in football. Personally, I think that would make football more enjoyable for about 80 teams that currently have no chance at competing at the higher level. Number is really closer to 110-115 teams that currently have no chance, but 80 teams would make for a decent return to D1AA.

I agree. There's too many schools who claim they can compete and be a part of the same division level as Bama or Texas, when they just need to be put out to pasture.

Let the top moneymakers and most valued teams form their own division and play each year.
Best part is the NC will have 2-3 losses though, lol.

I want to know if the SBC can re-negotiate its contract based on the additions or how that works.
It would be nice to know how much MU is valued by joining a more travel friendly but forward thinking conference.

Likewise, would be interesting to see how depleted of value the Big 12 and AAC are going to be. I've read anywhere from 50% to 705% of Big 12 revenue is gone by OU and UT keaving.
The AAC given their approach that CUSA had (and it didn't work) with TV markets, is a risky move.
I will say, Aresco is light years ahead of Judy, but I don't think even he can sell the new AAC any better.

I want to know if the SBC can re-negotiate its contract based on the additions or how that works.
It would be nice to know how much MU is valued by joining a more travel friendly but forward thinking conference.

Likewise, would be interesting to see how depleted of value the Big 12 and AAC are going to be. I've read anywhere from 50% to 705% of Big 12 revenue is gone by OU and UT keaving.
The AAC given their approach that CUSA had (and it didn't work) with TV markets, is a risky move.
I will say, Aresco is light years ahead of Judy, but I don't think even he can sell the new AAC any better.
Sun Belt long term is likely the best decision Marshall University has ever made. One could easily say they'll be the top G5 football playing conference in the coming years, as most teams seem to be making a real effort in becoming better, as opposed to say, Marshall basketball, which is basically a token effort, one where it simply goes through the motions of pretending to play D1 basketball.

As we know, C-USA was arguably the worst football conference in D1 for the past several years. Looking at the scraps that remain, I'm not sure how this bunch can even go through the charade of being a legitimate G5 conference.

The hope would be that the Sun Belt institutions will one day take basketball seriously. Currently, they don't as a whole. With that being the case, hillbilly ball is probably okay, as long as supporters of the program don't attempt to place lipstick on a pig. I currently don't have plans to even post in the annual 'this is our year' basketball thread that will go up in mid-October/early-November. I've read that exact same thread for multiple years now, and still cannot determine what goes through ones mind to predict things like an 11-2 non-conference record to begin the season, or God forbid the occasional 12-1 start. I have to think it's the good home-grown or something similar.

The question isn't will the Sun Belt suddenly care about basketball... They never have and its unlikely they ever will.

The question is, will Marshall improve in baseball?

The Sun Belt sports in order of collective importance -- Football.... Miles and miles back -- Baseball and Soccer... Then way back again -- Basketball... And then everything else straggling along.

Reactions: The Real SamC
The question isn't will the Sun Belt suddenly care about basketball... They never have and its unlikely they ever will.

The question is, will Marshall improve in baseball?

The Sun Belt sports in order of collective importance -- Football.... Miles and miles back -- Baseball and Soccer... Then way back again -- Basketball... And then everything else straggling along.
Men's soccer may quickly climb to number two. But you are correct. If we don't get a baseball stadium under way by 2024, we will never get one. The city has to use that 8 Mil. by 2024.

The SBC TV contract runs through the 30 football season. The conference membership changes did not trigger any changes to it.

The Big (soon to be “Big”) 12 TV contracts expire after the 24 football season. Negotiations, which include getting Texas and Oklahoma out early, are already on going. I believe that Texas and Oklahoma represent at least 70% of the value of the old Big 12.

Let’s look at it more closely. Name the places where the local “Big” 12 team is the default non-alumni them theys is usens team. Kansas and West Virginia. That is it. Now Kansas is right at 3M people and isn’t growing. And about 1/3rd of the state’s population gets its TV from another state, Kansas City, MO. West Virginia is losing population faster than any other state, down to less than 1.8M. And again a third of the state gets its TV from out of state. Washington, DC or Pittsburgh, PA. The largest TV DMA is Huntington-Charleston, which is down to #70 (it was in the 40s when Nielsen started the system in the late 60s), and 1/3rd of that market lives in Kentucky or Ohio. And of course there is the Marshall factor.

And then the Mormons. Which is 6.5M people. Mostly in Utah, but the University of Utah is still the most popular team in that state.

I believe that the new “Big” 12 will thus get maybe 50% of previous.

As to the AAC, the deal runs out after the 31 football season. The defections have triggered a right for Disney to ask for $$ back, but really the AAC is exactly what it always was. Teams in, but not significant in, big cities, playing in the shadow of more popular team and of the pros. The fact that the AAC went not for quality, but for city size when getting field fillers, shows that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT