ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall player recruit rankings since 2000

Stars don't mean squat. Heart and drive matter more.

As pointed out, some of the less heralded players coming out of high school have been out better ones.

We could add Chad, Byron and Troy Brown to that list.

Of course they have to be coached up when they get here.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Stars for players with heart and drive mean a lot...I'll take a 3 star player with heart and drive equal to a non-rated player any day.

Reactions: sistersville
Stars for players with heart and drive mean a lot...I'll take a 3 star player with heart and drive equal to a non-rated player any day.

Problem is, we seem to have fewer and fewer rated kids that have the heart and desire you speak of. You can't recruit a kid based on stars only. That's shortsighted and usually doesn't end well - as we have seen with the high attrition the last 3-4 years.

We dont recruit kids based on stars only.

Star players fall to us, thats the issue.

Yulee looks and seem like a legit 4* player thats a leader. Him and McManus seem like the only ones we have gotten. The rest always had some behavioral issue. Legget was fine until he wasnt name the starter.

Having heart makes up for a lot. Cato wasn't heavily recruited coming out of high school, and wasn't drafted because he wasn't a "traditional qb" meaning height, weight, playing style, etc. But what he brought to this team was unmatched. He lived and died with a Marshall win or loss. I remember several post game press conferences where you could either see or hear him overcome with joy for a good performance or downright in tears after a tough loss. He carried the weight of that team on his back and he took full responsibility for his team as well. Give me that type of leader on the field any day. He made the players around him better, he made the morale of that team higher, and remember guys, Bill Legg was his OC too

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT