2/2 at App State
2/4 at Louisiana
2/9 at Coastal Carolina
2/11 at Georgia State
2/16 Georgia Southern
2/18 Trov
2/22 at James Madison
2/24 at Old Dominion

New Year's Eve against JMU should be a good one to come see in person... Haven't seen any early prognostications, but I would guess Texas State, South Alabama and Troy will be the top 3 picks. The four new additions don't offer much.

So Miss -- 7-26
Marshall -- 12-21
ODU -- 13-19
JMU -- 15-14

Reactions: The Real SamC
Danny’s instant reaction:
“ Even though we open conference play with 5 of the first 6 at home, I can’t believe they’ve got us playing 4 in a row on the road at the end!! We’re doomed from the start!!”

A.W. Hamilton? You must be joking. Yet another “Marshall Guy” unproven at Eastern Kentucky. I hope that our new AD has a list of candidates far better than AW.
Im sure there is a list... No idea if AW is on it, but he has done a good job at EKU... They improved significantly over his first three seasons, last year following a conference change they took a step back. This coming season is a big year for AW in terms of getting back on the proper trajectory.

EKU record with AW as coach -- 13-18, 16-17, 20-7, 13-17

If we're going for 2nd chances, gimme Chris Mack!! However, I think if Dan isn't retained, Jeff Capel will be our next coach. I don't see him lasting at Pitt and the Spears connection there. JMO

If we're going for 2nd chances, gimme Chris Mack!! However, I think if Dan isn't retained, Jeff Capel will be our next coach. I don't see him lasting at Pitt and the Spears connection there. JMO
I like Mack but can't knock Capel either.

DD will be here as long as he wants, or is alive, whichever comes first. That simple. The administration has made it clear that no results are demanded. As the SBC is an even lower basketball league than CUSA, he cannot help but finish 5th or 6th. That will be enough. They don’t care.

DD will be here as long as he wants, or is alive, whichever comes first. That simple. The administration has made it clear that no results are demanded. As the SBC is an even lower basketball league than CUSA, he cannot help but finish 5th or 6th. That will be enough. They don’t care.
I hope you are wrong...I would hope a big year out of Dan will be required if he is to retained! If he goes .500 and they keep him, I will be firmly in your camp!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I hope you are wrong...I would hope a big year out of Dan will be required if he is to retained! If he goes .500 and they keep him, I will be firmly in your camp!
Agreed... The thing about it is, with the SBC schedule and a non-conference schedule that I'm certain won't be murderer's row, there is almost a guarantee of "improvement" over lsat year.

The question is, how much "improvement" is enough to keep DD?... I hope its not 16-15.

I'd agree we don't invest in basketball enough and they seem fairly apathetic to properly investing in the program. That is way more of an issue than sticking with DD as coach. Lastly, I expect a championship or 2nd place finish in this league and you will be wrong with your prediction.

Literally one bad year guys. Perhaps you’ll be proven correct this winter. Some of you act like that’s more important than actually winning.

Dan earned a chance to fix last year. I am pulling hard for him to make the most of it.
He's got a lot of things in his favor - easier league from what we've been told, a veteran team returning, and he got the portal guy he wanted. Let's hope it translates into big success for the Herd.

“One bad year” ????

Try “one good year” or, to be yet more accurate “eight good days”.

Logic and facts are undeniable.

DD put in the season he put in last year, following on his previous failed efforts. He was resigned.

There is therefore no reason to expect different. Nor to believe that the PTBs care. They don’t.

“One bad year” ????

DD put in the season he put in last year, following on his previous failed efforts. He was resigned.

There is therefore no reason to expect different. Nor to believe that the PTBs care. They don’t.
You’re never going to be happy with Marshall basketball with those standards. We can reach them and should strive to, absolutely. But you’re wanting once in a generation teams yearly and that’s not going to fly.
We were playing great basketball headed to Frisco when pandemic hit. And honestly, we played ok last year in Frisco. Ran into the worst matchup problem in the league for our team. Battled with them but couldn’t get over the hump.
Last year absolutely raises eyebrows. But I can’t recall seeing an entire team, man to man, underperform so severely at once. I want to see what we do this year. League is not a strong top to bottom, but I think the lower teams may have a better pulse. Our style of play will be foreign to most of them too, although a lot more teams play like we do now.

I’m not to proud to tell you that I could be wrong. But I’m looking forward to finding out.

“One bad year” ????

Have to agree SamC. Take away the NCAA season and DD is barely above .500 as HERD HC, in EIGHT Seasons! Is that the standard we want for MU basketball? A sub .500 season, or barely above that mark, in Season 9 in 2022-23, then its time to show Danny D. the Door!!

You’re never going to be happy with Marshall basketball with those standards. We can reach them and should strive to, absolutely. But you’re wanting once in a generation teams yearly and that’s not going to fly.
We were playing great basketball headed to Frisco when pandemic hit. And honestly, we played ok last year in Frisco. Ran into the worst matchup problem in the league for our team. Battled with them but couldn’t get over the hump.
Last year absolutely raises eyebrows. But I can’t recall seeing an entire team, man to man, underperform so severely at once. I want to see what we do this year. League is not a strong top to bottom, but I think the lower teams may have a better pulse. Our style of play will be foreign to most of them too, although a lot more teams play like we do now.

I’m not to proud to tell you that I could be wrong. But I’m looking forward to finding out.
I just want to see us play some semblance of defense under Dan, we put ourselves in such tough positions just trying to outscore people compounded by the way we throw the ball away when on offense. I hope the true PG from VMI solves that problem.

I just want to see us play some semblance of defense under Dan, we put ourselves in such tough positions just trying to outscore people compounded by the way we throw the ball away when on offense. I hope the true PG from VMI solves that problem.
I agree about needing to play more defense.

The Curfman kid we got from VMI is not a PG, he's a SG. Trey Bonham was the Keydets PG last year and was a star. He just transferred to Florida... I've watched Curfman the past couple seasons when VMI played Western Carolina. He's an excellent 3-point shooter (40%), which we desperately need, but he's not a primary ball handler. Curfman will be a nice addition to hopefully space the floor for guys like Kinsey/Early/OAK. For the sake of comparison, Curfman = Ronny Dawn.

Just guessing here, but I think we roll with...
PG - Taylor
SG - Curfman
SF - Kinsey
PF - OAK
C - Miladinovic

6 - Early
7 - Braun
8 - Sarenac
9 - Toussaint
10 - McKey

The Curfman kid we got from VMI is not a PG, he's a SG. Trey Bonham was the Keydets PG last year and was a star. He just transferred to Florida... I've watched Curfman the past couple seasons when VMI played Western Carolina. He's an excellent 3-point shooter (40%), which we desperately need, but he's not a primary ball handler. Curfman will be a nice addition to hopefully space the floor for guys like Kinsey/Early/OAK. For the sake of comparison, Curfman = Ronny Dawn.

PG - Taylor
SG - Curfman
SF - Kinsey
PF - OAK
C - Miladinovic

6 - Early
7 - Braun
8 - Sarenac
9 - Toussaint
10 - McKey
Taylor has got to learn to value the ball more, we can't score if we throw it away or just hand it over! I was hoping Curfman was a true PG but sounds like he'll be a useful player from your information.

Reactions: RhinoD

PG - Taylor
SG - Curfman
SF - Kinsey
PF - OAK
C - Miladinovic

6 - Early
7 - Braun
8 - Sarenac
9 - Toussaint
10 - McKey
I am concerned about Curfman playing PG. I don't want to mess with his game. Hopefully DD will have Taylor continue as PG. Also hope they place Oak at the 5 and another kid can step up at the 4. We'll see what happens.

PG - Taylor
SG - Curfman
SF - Kinsey
PF - OAK
C - Miladinovic

6 - Early
7 - Braun
8 - Sarenac
9 - Toussaint
10 - McKey
I don't see Goran starting at all.

Some of the bb practice guys say Obinna will play the 5. They also say GM will be relegated to 3rd string. As for the the 4, they say Conner and Fricks.
Agree with Connor and Fricks. I really think from what I have seen from Fricks that he can be a real difference maker. Unfortunately like most of our recruits in the past he is just way too thin. Connor is also very fundamentally sound and a " basketball player". Our overall shooting should be much better albeit couldn't really be any worse.

If DD could be here as long as he wants, he'd not been give a one year deal from CS. To me, the DD deal was a "show cause" opportunity, he has an opportunity to show a cause for continuing here past 2022-23 season.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
Have to agree SamC. Take away the NCAA season and DD is barely above .500 as HERD HC, in EIGHT Seasons! Is that the standard we want for MU basketball? A sub .500 season, or barely above that mark, in Season 9 in 2022-23, then its time to show Danny D. the Door!!
Take away last season (or his first season, which was a wash) and he’s pretty solidly above .500. That’s a two way street.

I 100% agree last year wasn’t acceptable. This is it for that regard. A chance to atone for it. That’s all I’m saying… he has earned the chance to fix it. He’s getting that chance and I’m happy about that. I hope it all works out for the best.

I think Taylor at PG and Curfman at SG is fine. The biggest key is getting Taevion back to the 3. He thrived there. Having TK play the 3 like he has in the past, and having Curfman be more efficient at the 2 than TK was last year, makes Taylor’s life much easier. I really felt he pressed.

Will it work? We’ll see. But I absolutely understand the thought based on past play.

Take away last season (or his first season, which was a wash) and he’s pretty solidly above .500. That’s a two way street.

I 100% agree last year wasn’t acceptable. This is it for that regard. A chance to atone for it. That’s all I’m saying… he has earned the chance to fix it. He’s getting that chance and I’m happy about that. I hope it all works out for the best.

I think Taylor at PG and Curfman at SG is fine. The biggest key is getting Taevion back to the 3. He thrived there. Having TK play the 3 like he has in the past, and having Curfman be more efficient at the 2 than TK was last year, makes Taylor’s life much easier. I really felt he pressed.

Will it work? We’ll see. But I absolutely understand the thought based on past play.
MU fans to Andrew Taylor: " The ball has value, quit turning it over."

Did you type this in your New Mexico State Aggies gear?
I hear they're going to dominate CUSA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT