ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall vs Ole Miss football from 1997 on SEC

Jeremybozz

Silver Buffalo
Oct 6, 2006
Marshall vs Ole Miss Bowl Game from 1997 on SEC Network from 3 AM to 5 AM Saturday. Thank goodness for DVR.Chad Pennington and Randy Moss vs Deuce the Running Back.

Reactions: chuck1069
I was there! Doug Chapman worked his ass off trying to get it over the goal line!! So close ....great game though. My Dad & I got the hungries around 11 & went to a diner. They offered eggs and hamburger.....it was delicious!
Go Herd

At that game as well. The Penny to Moss pass was epic. Great game. McCloud's tackle brought a collective - OOOH! from the crowd.

Was there also. Half the crowd hadn't settled into their seats, when, after an opening touchback on the kickoff, Pennington, on first play from scrimmage, looked at Moss and then, about 10 seconds later, ENDZONE (80 yard play). Then I believe Ole Miss scored in a play or two. Less than two minutes or so in, tied 7-7. I thought we were in for something like a 63-56 shootout.

Was there also. Half the crowd hadn't settled into their seats, when, after an opening touchback on the kickoff, Pennington, on first play from scrimmage, looked at Moss and then, about 10 seconds later, ENDZONE (80 yard play). Then I believe Ole Miss scored in a play or two. Less than two minutes or so in, tied 7-7. I thought we were in for something like a 63-56 shootout.

I believe Miss rolled thru MU like a tank after taking the opening kickoff.
The long pass was Marshall’s response

Exactly right Greenduke. I thought we were going to get blown out. The pass to Moss was one of the greatest. Marshall at times ran over them.Very proud of them after that game. Miss had a Avery kid that went on to the NFL I believe. He was a great running back.

The backup RB for Ole Miss, freshman Deuce McAllister, had a Standout NFL career.

Watching the game right now. Love those Marshall uniforms from that era. Wish we would go back to them.

Also, Colclough recovered the Moss fumble at the end but the idiot officials got in a big hurry to wave Ole Miss ball and blew the call. No replay to overturn. Ridiculous.

A great game.

A few of things that stick out to me about the game from watching it again. On the long TD pass to Moss, from watching the replay you notice that after Randy catches the pass he isn't running at full speed. He still has another gear to go if needed. Two, man I miss Mike Gottfried doing the color commentary for college football games. And three, I never noticed how dark it was inside the Silverdome. I guess they didn't want to turn on all the lights to save on the electric bill.

A great game.

A few of things that stick out to me about the game from watching it again. On the long TD pass to Moss, from watching the replay you notice that after Randy catches the pass he isn't running at full speed. He still has another gear to go if needed. Two, man I miss Mike Gottfried doing the color commentary for college football games. And three, I never noticed how dark it was inside the Silverdome. I guess they didn't want to turn on all the lights to save on the electric bill.

The Silver Dome was a cold, dank, impersonal building. Classic 1970’s thinking and architecture. A perfect match for the Lions and Detroit.

Exactly right Greenduke. I thought we were going to get blown out. The pass to Moss was one of the greatest. Marshall at times ran over them.Very proud of them after that game. Miss had a Avery kid that went on to the NFL I believe. He was a great running back.

Avery was from Asheville, NC.
He put it to The HERD during their clock run off in the last quarter. They were holding on for dear life. The Rebels were coached by Tommy Tuberville, who moved from school to school after his stint in Oxford. I can still see Randy streaking for paydirt & VICTORY when a defender stripped the ball from him while running Moss down. Our hearts sank and left us wondering.....WHAT IF?

MARSHALL football was put of the map that evening in the Motor City.

Another memory for my son & me.....taking in several important moments in HERD Sports!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: sistersville

Might be right. Just recall score was 7-7 and don't think the clock had rolled off a full minute yet!

Might be right. Just recall score was 7-7 and don't think the clock had rolled off a full minute yet!
Ole Miss took the kickoff. They scored in a couple of plays. We then scored first play from scrimmage

Here it is

ADVERTISEMENT