ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall vs Xavier

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
See on the Xavier schedule where they are playing our men's basketball team at Xavier on December 19. Hope we get a return game next season. Wonder what the rest of our non-conference schedule is?

See on the Xavier schedule where they are playing our men's basketball team at Xavier on December 19. Hope we get a return game next season. Wonder what the rest of our non-conference schedule is?
This is a money game. One and done. The schedule is complete with one exception. Trying to get another money game on the road but so far, no luck. we have tried Clemson, Ohio State and Indiana all have openings but none will play.
We have Illinois on the road ad part of the annual exempt tournament we always play. Then 3 home games the caliber of what we always get in the event. We also have William and Mary on the road with return next year.
Also next year we have road games and Washington State and Gonzaga

Reactions: Sean Hammond
Connecting some dots: A couple of years ago, when the D'Antoni brothers/Duhon put on a coaching clinic, I sat next to and had some conversation with the Washington State coach. He brought his entire staff and is a big fan of their fast-paced style.

Any idea when OOC basketball tickets will go on sale? I gotta go to the Xavier game

I bet the Gonzaga and Washington State games will be played close together because those schools are located in close proximity to each other. I've actually attended a couple of games at Gonzaga. They have a nice arena. The students turn their backs to the floor when the opposing team's starting lineups are being announced.

I bet the Gonzaga and Washington State games will be played close together because those schools are located in close proximity to each other. I've actually attended a couple of games at Gonzaga. They have a nice arena. The students turn their backs to the floor when the opposing team's starting lineups are being announced.

I'm sure it'll be a two game road swing with games on something like Thursday-Saturday, like our conference schedule set up.

Would be nice if one or both of these teams were returning the game(s) in Huntington the following season. Would also probably take having to find them another opponent to play in this area, Pitt, Ohio U. etc., and thus making it a two game road swing for them. Doubt a team is going to come from Washington state to play 1 game in Huntington, WV.

I'm sure it'll be a two game road swing with games on something like Thursday-Saturday, like our conference schedule set up.

Would be nice if one or both of these teams were returning the game(s) in Huntington the following season. Would also probably take having to find them another opponent to play in this area, Pitt, Ohio U. etc., and thus making it a two game road swing for them. Doubt a team is going to come from Washington state to play 1 game in Huntington, WV.
Both are one and done. And as said above, this is a 5 day trip for the team. So there will be 2 games in 3 days.

I bet the Gonzaga and Washington State games will be played close together because those schools are located in close proximity to each other.
giphy.gif

Not bashing, just wondering....why do we always play in that same exempt event vice trying to get into one of the more notable early season tournaments?

Wow Gonzaga and Xavier , two great hoops schools on the sked, one that was even in the Final 4 last year!

So much better than having to listen to a fat stinking belligerent drunk that lives in the same state bitch about playing a school the quality of Marshall.

It's funny 3 or was it now 4 years ago when Dan started everyone was questioning his hire and praising the turnaround Doc had achieved.

Best of all Dan has given a lot of WV kids hope they can now play at the D1 level, and in their own state!

One thing for sure 2017 is going to be a MOST interesting year !

Gonzaga is NOT on the schedule. Where did you hear that? Go to the sites that show Gonzaga's 2017-18 basketball schedule and you will not find Marshall. At least I can't. Xavier is a done deal. Don't know if they come to Huntington next year or not. But I do not see the Herd on Gonzagas schedule for this year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also do not see the Herd on Washington State's schedule either. Either a big rumor or hoping we play those schools or I just can't find them on the schedules listed at those schools.

Gonzaga is NOT on the schedule. Where did you hear that? Go to the sites that show Gonzaga's 2017-18 basketball schedule and you will not find Marshall. At least I can't. Xavier is a done deal. Don't know if they come to Huntington next year or not. But I do not see the Herd on Gonzagas schedule for this year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're not wrong because the rumor is we're playing them in 2018-2019. Same with Washington State.

"Big" games this year are Xavier and Illinois.

Not bashing, just wondering....why do we always play in that same exempt event vice trying to get into one of the more notable early season tournaments?

Simple answer to your question is that this event gives MU 3 sure home games EVERY YEAR, albeit against the likes of Jackson State, North Carolina A&T, Western Carolina, etc., you know, the kinds of "quality" opponents that Herd fans are just clamoring to see!!

It also ensures the Herd of a "name" road game every year, Ohio State, Louisville, Illinois, etc. Herd's participation in this "exempt" event preceded Coach D'Antoni. Believe it started during Herrion's tenure and I believe Coach Cline, who does a lot of the scheduling, had a lot to do with it.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Simple answer to your question is that this event gives MU 3 sure home games EVERY YEAR, albeit against the likes of Jackson State, North Carolina A&T, Western Carolina, etc., you know, the kinds of "quality" opponents that Herd fans are just clamoring to see!!

It also ensures the Herd of a "name" road game every year, Ohio State, Louisville, Illinois, etc. Herd's participation in this "exempt" event preceded Coach D'Antoni. Believe it started during Herrion's tenure and I believe Coach Cline, who does a lot of the scheduling, had a lot to do with it.

and when scheduling is as hard as it is...the guaranteed three games helps with scheduling. Plus I am sure money has something to do with it. I wish they would play in some of the other early season tournaments but like I said..this guarantees three home games and makes scheduling a lot easier. I am friends with an assistant coach that was at Marshall previously and he worked on scheduling and said it was the worst thing he had to do. It takes a lot to put together a schedule to ensure you get home games and a good balance of teams to not wear you out.

If you are taliking about those early season deals in vacation spots or in big cites, three simple reasons.

- The people that put on these tournaments are in the travel business. How many Herd fans do you actually see going to, say San Juan or Las Vegas or Cancun in early December?

- The people that broadcast these tournaments are in the TV business. MU, NCAA free since Reagan was president, Pontiacs were cool, and the Russians really did care who won US elections, does not move the TV needle whatsoever.

- The big time teams that play in these tournaments are in the RPI business. Beating MU 111-70 and then seeing it go on to lose to such luminaries as Eastern Kentucky and Chattanooga, does nothing for these teams.

We are lucky we are in the "middle spot" (play three joke teams at home, then play at a big team) in the deals we are in. By all rights, we should be one of the bottom teams.

Anybody can go to practice. Dan will talk to you and listening to him when he is talking to the team can give you alot of info. Sadly 2018 is to be the year not next year

Chris where do you see Illinois on our schedule this year? We are not listed on there schedule. Only game for sure, as far as I can find, is Xavier.

I don't think the Illinois schedule has been released. At least I couldn't find it.

I did find the names of the teams in this years Global Sports Classic. All games played Nov 10-22.

The 5 teams are Illinois, Marshall, Southern, NC Central and UT Martin. This is how we know we play Illinois this year.

Illinois gets 4 home games, we get 3. The only Marshall date we know for sure is when we host Southern on Nov. 13.

If you are taliking about those early season deals in vacation spots or in big cites, three simple reasons.

- The people that put on these tournaments are in the travel business. How many Herd fans do you actually see going to, say San Juan or Las Vegas or Cancun in early December?

- The people that broadcast these tournaments are in the TV business. MU, NCAA free since Reagan was president, Pontiacs were cool, and the Russians really did care who won US elections, does not move the TV needle whatsoever.
- The big time teams that play in these tournaments are in the RPI business. Beating MU 111-70 and then seeing it go on to lose to such luminaries as Eastern Kentucky and Chattanooga, does nothing for these teams.

We are lucky we are in the "middle spot" (play three joke teams at home, then play at a big team) in the deals we are in. By all rights, we should be one of the bottom teams.

Exactly, SamC. That's why WVU playing in Big 12 against other strong opponents allows them to play, with 3,, 4 or so exceptions, 9 or so non conference dogs/little sisters of the poor teams, get a lot of easy wins, and still not hurt their SOS.

That's why MU needs CUSA to improve as a league, which means conference schools, including MU, need to start WINNING some OOC games against stronger, and sometimes major, teams with more regularity. The Herd, specifically, needs to win more Road games in the non conference, especially against OOC opponents from the likes of the OVC, Southern Conference, MAC, etc. Something that Danny's teams, thus far, have failed to do.

Its not ROCKET SCIENCE. Continue to improve the W-L record every season, by say 3 or 4 games, which will naturally mean beating some better teams, in conference and out, more frequently. The W-L record will be better, RPI improves, post season opportunities are, hopefully, enhanced. Team's name/reputation is enhanced meaning hopefully media types take notice, and, finally "name" opponents may not be that hard to schedule, including, again hopefully, when the Herd eventually ends up included in the field of a significant in season tournament, instead of in the current field of mostly "who dat" exempt event teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT