ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsburg

Aug 21, 2019
I havent followed recruiting as much as usual the last couple years, but it seems like Martinsburg has to have some serious talent. Are there prospects from there going in state?

I havent followed recruiting as much as usual the last couple years, but it seems like Martinsburg has to have some serious talent. Are there prospects from there going in state?
They have won 8 of the last 9 AAA football championships I believe. wvu gets some of their kids, though not many have made a splash, but most seem to end up in the MEC

Tavis Lee is at WVU. Don't believe he's seen the field yet, though.

Dewayne Grantham is probably the best D1 prospect they've produced in the past couple of years but he didn't make grades and ended up at a JC in PA. Believe the plan is for him to eventually make it to Morgantown if he gets his associate's degree.

They had a QB (Tyson Bagent) who is now starting at Shepherd who looks like he should be playing FBS ball. No one offered him, though. Not even at the FCS level.

They have a 2020 lineman who has been offered by Kent State but is not on Marshall or WVU's radar for a scholarship.

Pretty crazy to think they smashed teams like Spring Valley who had big-time FBS talents like Doug Nestor, Zach Williamson and Wyatt Milum. Says a lot about their coaching staff and kids.

Pretty crazy to think they smashed teams like Spring Valley who had big-time FBS talents like Doug Nestor, Zach Williamson and Wyatt Milum. Says a lot about their coaching staff and kids.
That's the thing. First and foremost, they have an awesome coaching staff, and have a program that begins at an early age of teaching the system. As far as players go, even though they may only put out one or two kids that may have D1 potential, unlike other schools in WV, where you'll see the big names have two or three pretty decent players that by themselves, can lead their team to many wins, Martinsburg has about 15 or 16 of these really decent players. It all starts at a young age, developing the kids, and once they're in high school, they're ready to contribute. If you watch any highlights of Martinsburg's game, the overall team speed compared to whomever they happen to be playing, is like comparing Alabama's team speed to that of the Japanese professional sumo all star wrestling squad.

Reactions: tradebait
From seeing some of their scores, they must be averaging over 50 points a game. No one will touch them.

Dewayne Grantham is probably the best D1 prospect they've produced in the past couple of years but he didn't make grades and ended up at a JC in PA. Believe the plan is for him to eventually make it to Morgantown if he gets his associate's degree.

They had a QB (Tyson Bagent) who is now starting at Shepherd who looks like he should be playing FBS ball. No one offered him, though. Not even at the FCS level.

They have a 2020 lineman who has been offered by Kent State but is not on Marshall or WVU's radar for a scholarship.

I would think it’s easier to game plan an individual than trying to stop tremendous team speed.
You are spot on regarding the coaching. A WV HS AD has expressed to me that their coaching is superb.

They are absolutely crushing everyone, including solid out of state teams. Maybe it is just solid talent across the board where other schools have holes.

My geography knowledge of the area is limited. If it were up to me, the eastern panhandle would just be a gradient that slowly dissolved into DC.

That dissolved DC gradient is part of the area that produces some ridiculous talent.
Plenty of area children end up in the NOVA area schools or even the prestigious WCAC in HS.
The panhandle is on the outskirts of that mecca of athletics, imagine if they were closer, it simply wouldn't be fair to WV HS'.

Musselman is located only a few miles south on Route 11, and they are probably one of the top four teams in the state of WV, at least on the AAA level. Martinsburg beat them like a drum Friday night, 57-14, and that was with a running 2nd half clock.

Yes let's eliminate the one solid growing area of the state... SMH
I'm sorry, you must have misinterpreted the tone of my post. I wasn't suggesting we cut the eastern panhandle off of the state, I was suggesting we displace the population, smash every building to dust, till the soil down to the bedrock and start over.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
and that was with a running 2nd half clock.

What was the reason for that? If it is because of the score then that is BS.. I don't think a huge score gap justifies anything, but I also think it's not fair that the younger/backup players on the team don't get the reps just because the first string is good.

This isn't San Francisco or Portland. Geez

I'm sorry, you must have misinterpreted the tone of my post. I wasn't suggesting we cut the eastern panhandle off of the state, I was suggesting we displace the population, smash every building to dust, till the soil down to the bedrock and start over.

Not really sure what you are saying.. there are two growing geographical locations in the state:
1. Eastern Panhandle
2. Greater Morgantown

Anything negative towards the eastern panhandle is stupid. They are the only area truly getting it done as far as population growth. I realize it has everything to do with D.C., but lets let that carryover father into the state versus trying to rid of the only good thing we have going outside of Pittsburgh's overflow.

What was the reason for that? If it is because of the score then that is BS.. I don't think a huge score gap justifies anything, but I also think it's not fair that the younger/backup players on the team don't get the reps just because the first string is good.

This isn't San Francisco or Portland. Geez
I may have misspoke in regard to the rule. I haven't lived in WV since 1985, but in regard to Martinsburg games, I have a friend who played for them back in the 90's, and he always updates the games on FB, so that's why I've seen him reference the 2nd half running clock. Upon further investigation, all I could find is that WV implemented a mercy rule back in 2016, that states if a team is up by 35 points in the 4th quarter, the clock will continue to run, with the exception of extended delays in play, like timeouts, after touchdowns, change of possession, etc, but apparently it keeps running after incompleted passes, being out of bounds, 1st downs, etc. I couldn't find anything in regard to an entire 2nd half mercy rule, unless maybe they have some clause in there where both coaches have to agree to it.

I was just being absurd, but funny story:

The last time I was in the Martinsburg area, it was for a wedding, and no less than six times during the reception did I have someone ask me where I was from, only to see them go all wide-eyed, "You drove all the way from South Carolina?!?"

Martinsburg is undefeated this year - 10-0 - heading into the playoffs and the odds on favorite to win it all again. They do have a great coaching staff.

I would think it’s easier to game plan an individual than trying to stop tremendous team speed.
You are spot on regarding the coaching. A WV HS AD has expressed to me that their coaching is superb.

They have an outstanding coaching staff and their Head Coach, Dave Walker, is top notch. He built that program into the powerhouse it is today. Since he took over the program, they’ve won 7 AAA State Championships, appeared in the Super Six (state finals) 11 times, had 2 athletes win a total of 3 Kennedy Awards as WV’s top HS player, and been chosen for the USA Today’s National Super 25 rankings.

If the difference is 35 or more at anytime in the 4th quarter, they use a running clock. This is the 4th year of this, I believe.

That part of the state produces a lot of good players probably due to the amount of people who work in Washington, DC but decided to live in WV due to the cost of living in the Arlington, Va area. Martinsburg is in a class all by themselves. All the other AAA schools are playing for second place every year.

If you are interested about Martinsburg HS football:
Currently 10-0
Scored 579 points
Opponents 81 points
MHS 70 or more pts x 2 games
MHS 60 or more pts x 3 games
MHS 50 or more pts x 1 game
MHS 40 or more pts x 3 games
MHS 30 or more pts x 1 game
Largest margin of victory: 77-0
vs Spring Mills HS
Lowest margin of victory: 37-0
vs Sherando (VA)
Shutouts: 3
People criticize the schedule and out of state teams but location hinders playing in-state.

Marshall does little to no recruiting in the Panhandle. It is my understanding Martinsburg and Doc had a falling out over Eugene German. Eugene was an olinman at Martinsburg and was offered by Marshall and Phil Ratleff, but when Phil left Marshall it was my understanding that Doc did not honor the offer. German went to Charlotte and ended up being a two year starter. The rest of the Martinsburg Players in college:

Tavis Lee, defensive end-Marshall really went after Tavis and he would be at Marshall if WVU had not offered.

Grantham, Linebacker-this kids is 6-1, 205 lbs and runs well. He had some off the field problems so Juco was a good fit(I never heard MU being involved)

Jalen Hesen, d lineman-This kid is 6-2, 275 lbs and started on the Martinsburg hoops team that went to state. He also was mvp of an allstar game in florida. Jalen had grade problems so he would have had to come in as a non-qualifier but honestly Marshall really needed to look at this kid. His family has Marshall ties. He now starts nose guard for Shepherd. Has been hurt a little but when he plays he is a stud. BTW, how do you get an mvp of an allstar game as a nose guard? In florida against good competition. This is the one Doc should have made more of an effort on.

Juwan Green, WR-this kids dad played football for Maryland and went to Lackwanna out of high school. He is now starting at the FBS level at Albany and averages over 100 yards a game. The rumor is he will get an NFL try out(4.4 40 type). Kid is a stud

Demonte Lindsey, linebacker-this kid signed with WVU out of high school and the coaches loved him. Big, fast, and strong but he got cancer his freshman year and never was the same. He was in the two deep depth chart this year but has been hurt. Sad to have had a career like this but he is healthy now and will get a degree.

Tyson Bagent, QB-Im not sure what to say that has not already been said. At this point he is stats wise one of the best if not the best QB in D2 football. He leads the country in yards per game with a completion percentage of almost 72% as a sophomore. He was a finalist for the D2 player of the year as a freshman which was a first. A guy on this board last year said he spoke to former coach from the Sunbelt and he indicated that he could have played in that league last year. Who knows where he should have ended up but he will get a shot at the NFL.

Isaac Brown, WR, 6-1, 202 he transferred out his senior year because he wanted to play QB. He is now a redshirt freshman at Richmond and is second on the team in receptions.

Now the hidden gems: Because Walker does such a good job with coaching his kids the walkons have always competed very well at the next level. Walker had the Arndt kid that started at middle linebacker for WVU as a walkon and he led the team in tackles his senior year and was named MVP,

Current WVU walkons, Michael Boytia is a DB and its my understanding WVU loves the kid. He is 6-2, 170 lbs and runs a 4.5 40. He looks the part! Adam Stilley is a walkon center that is now on the two deep depth chart. He is 6-1, 295 lbs. He went to school at 235 lbs and is now on the two deep.

That is 9 players getting it done at a fairly high level. I think Doc is missing on some kids from Martinsburg even if they a walkon types. As has been discussed there are two or three kids on this team that will play at the next level and be successful. Doc may need to take a chance on a non-qualifier or walkon to get his foot in the door. Something to at least be in that coaches staffs ear.

Last edited:
If you are interested about Martinsburg HS football:
Currently 10-0
Scored 579 points
Opponents 81 points
MHS 70 or more pts x 2 games
MHS 60 or more pts x 3 games
MHS 50 or more pts x 1 game
MHS 40 or more pts x 3 games
MHS 30 or more pts x 1 game
Largest margin of victory: 77-0
vs Spring Mills HS
Lowest margin of victory: 37-0
vs Sherando (VA)
Shutouts: 3
People criticize the schedule and out of state teams but location hinders playing in-state.

Who criticizes the schedule? The teams they play are better than WV teams for the most part. They shit stomped defending 6A Va champion

Musselman is located only a few miles south on Route 11, and they are probably one of the top four teams in the state of WV, at least on the AAA level. Martinsburg beat them like a drum Friday night, 57-14, and that was with a running 2nd half clock.
Musselman has a running back that looks like a college linebacker. Big, fast and strong. Would be a great walkon for someone. Same high school as Wesco that is now with the jets

They shit stomped defending 6A Va champion
No, dude. They did not.

Sherando and Salem are both 4A schools currently rated 16th and 4th in the state. Neither won a state championship last year.

Impressive wins for sure but 6A football in Virginia is another stratosphere.

Marshall does little to no recruiting in the Panhandle. It is my understanding Martinsburg and Doc had a falling out over Eugene German. Eugene was an olinman at Martinsburg and was offered by Marshall and Phil Ratleff, but when Phil left Marshall it was my understanding that Doc did not honor the offer. German went to Charlotte and ended up being a two year starter. The rest of the Martinsburg Players in college:

Tavis Lee, defensive end-Marshall really went after Tavis and he would be at Marshall if WVU had not offered.

Grantham, Linebacker-this kids is 6-1, 205 lbs and runs well. He had some off the field problems so Juco was a good fit(I never heard MU being involved)

Jalen Hesen, d lineman-This kid is 6-2, 275 lbs and started on the Martinsburg hoops team that went to state. He also was mvp of an allstar game in florida. Jalen had grade problems so he would have had to come in as a non-qualifier but honestly Marshall really needed to look at this kid. His family has Marshall ties. He now starts nose guard for Shepherd. Has been hurt a little but when he plays he is a stud. BTW, how do you get an mvp of an allstar game as a nose guard? In florida against good competition. This is the one Doc should have made more of an effort on.

Juwan Green, WR-this kids dad played football for Maryland and went to Lackwanna out of high school. He is now starting at the FBS level at Albany and averages over 100 yards a game. The rumor is he will get an NFL try out(4.4 40 type). Kid is a stud

Demonte Lindsey, linebacker-this kid signed with WVU out of high school and the coaches loved him. Big, fast, and strong but he got cancer his freshman year and never was the same. He was in the two deep depth chart this year but has been hurt. Sad to have had a career like this but he is healthy now and will get a degree.

Tyson Bagent, QB-Im not sure what to say that has not already been said. At this point he is stats wise one of the best if not the best QB in D2 football. He leads the country in yards per game with a completion percentage of almost 72% as a sophomore. He was a finalist for the D2 player of the year as a freshman which was a first. A guy on this board last year said he spoke to former coach from the Sunbelt and he indicated that he could have played in that league last year. Who knows where he should have ended up but he will get a shot at the NFL.

Isaac Brown, WR, 6-1, 202 he transferred out his senior year because he wanted to play QB. He is now a redshirt freshman at Richmond and is second on the team in receptions.

Now the hidden gems: Because Walker does such a good job with coaching his kids the walkons have always competed very well at the next level. Walker had the Arndt kid that started at middle linebacker for WVU as a walkon and he led the team in tackles his senior year and was named MVP,

Current WVU walkons, Michael Boytia is a DB and its my understanding WVU loves the kid. He is 6-2, 170 lbs and runs a 4.5 40. He looks the part! Adam Stilley is a walkon center that is now on the two deep depth chart. He is 6-1, 295 lbs. He went to school at 235 lbs and is now on the two deep.

That is 9 players getting it done at a fairly high level. I think Doc is missing on some kids from Martinsburg even if they a walkon types. As has been discussed there are two or three kids on this team that will play at the next level and be successful. Doc may need to take a chance on a non-qualifier or walkon to get his foot in the door. Something to at least be in that coaches staffs ear.
Not to knock Bagent, but being nominated may have tied him for first. I coached Jaleel McLaughlin as a youth in NC, along with my oldest son. Jaleel finished 3rd last season in the Harlon Hill voting as a true freshmen and was the freshmen of the year along with the offensive player of the year in the MEC. He led D2 in rushing last year as a true freshman and is leading the country again this year, and has 23 rushing TD’s this season as well. He’s on pace to rush for close to 10,000 yards in his collegiate career. Sometimes kids get overlooked. Like Jaleel, I think Bagent ended up in a good spot. Their numbers will at least get them camp invites, possibly drafted.

Not to knock Bagent, but being nominated may have tied him for first. I coached Jaleel McLaughlin as a youth in NC, along with my oldest son. Jaleel finished 3rd last season in the Harlon Hill voting as a true freshmen and was the freshmen of the year along with the offensive player of the year in the MEC. He led D2 in rushing last year as a true freshman and is leading the country again this year, and has 23 rushing TD’s this season as well. He’s on pace to rush for close to 10,000 yards in his collegiate career. Sometimes kids get overlooked. Like Jaleel, I think Bagent ended up in a good spot. Their numbers will at least get them camp invites, possibly drafted.
He did end up at a good spot but It would have been interesting to see him do it at the D1 level. Btw, the most yards he has passed for so far was that game against him last year which would have been his first college football game. Over 500 yards I think

Last edited:
No, dude. They did not.

Sherando and Salem are both 4A schools currently rated 16th and 4th in the state. Neither won a state championship last year.

Impressive wins for sure but 6A football in Virginia is another stratosphere.

I stand corrected. Thought I read where they beat the VA state champ last year the week they beat Salem

He did end up at a good spot but It would have been interesting to see him do it at the D1 level. Btw, the most yards he has passed for so far was that game against him last year which would have been his first college football game. Over 500 yards I think
Yeah, Shepherd was favored in that one and then Jaleel put up over 300 yards rushing against them and Notre Dame College got up big, then Shepherd had to pass a lot and Bagent almost brought them back. Jaleel was still only 17 at the time. Great young man. I still stay in touch with him, going to watch him play at WV State on the 16th. He’s about to be the first RB in history to start his career with over 2,000 yards in each of his first 2 seasons.

Reactions: 5150
Yeah, Shepherd was favored in that one and then Jaleel put up over 300 yards rushing against them and Notre Dame College got up big, then Shepherd had to pass a lot and Bagent almost brought them back. Jaleel was still only 17 at the time. Great young man. I still stay in touch with him, going to watch him play at WV State on the 16th. He’s about to be the first RB in history to start his career with over 2,000 yards in each of his first 2 seasons.
funny...Tyson was still only 17 as well. They are trending on the same path. I say they both end up in the college football HOF

Reactions: cottrell75
funny...Tyson was still only 17 as well. They are trending on the same path. I say they both end up in the college football HOF
Very well could. Jaleel is on pace to smash the all time rushing records. He’s already the MEC all-time leading rusher. I helped Jaleel with the recruiting process. Young man had zero offers till I started sending his HUDL out. Good young man with a hell of a story, and an unbelievable all-around athlete.

Very well could. Jaleel is on pace to smash the all time rushing records. He’s already the MEC all-time leading rusher. I helped Jaleel with the recruiting process. Young man had zero offers till I started sending his HUDL out. Good young man with a hell of a story, and an unbelievable all-around athlete.
what is his forty time?

what is his forty time?
It was 4.39 in high school. He won a few state championships on relay teams and was the starting PG on a state champion basketball team too. I sent his HUDL to darn near every school in the country. He got a very late start in the recruiting process and only took the ACT once, not scoring that great...plus his high school coach had him splitting carries with like 2-3 other backs his junior year.

It was 4.39 in high school. He won a few state championships on relay teams and was the starting PG on a state champion basketball team too. I sent his HUDL to darn near every school in the country. He got a very late start in the recruiting process and only took the ACT once, not scoring that great...plus his high school coach had him splitting carries with like 2-3 other backs his junior year.
wow, that is awesome, that D1 speed

Reactions: cottrell75
Marshall football could have a Martinsburg kid on their team if they wanted one. I just don't think the staff is making an effort. Its just not important. The thing of note is Beckley and Bluefield used to be strong Marshall high schools and lots of talent coming out of that area right now and Marshall is no where to be found.

ADVERTISEMENT