ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD MBB at MTSU

Their only D1 win was over a 6-9 Lipscomb team.

Beat a DIII team, which I didn’t think you were even allowed to play DIII teams; a DII team; and a member of something called the NCCAA, the extra C apparently standing for Christian, which appears to be a random collection of preacher colleges. Came in last in a tournament in Myrtle Beach, losing to Coastal, Villanova, Tulane, and Ohio; Blown out by Belmont, Murray State, Ole Miss, and Rhode Island, and lost by a point to St. Bonaventure. Lost by 10 to ODU, and 8 to UNCC.

Yet MU is laying only 5 points, according the legal WV sports book app. The boys in the desert know something.

Reactions: johns1124
thoughts: very sloppy passing. Bennett is a game changer, period. Jared West is our MVP so far. Jahnsen! Finally a flash of what he can bring. Dillon gave us some good minutes. Kinsey is just so solid/Andy Taylor looked worn out & tonite played like a freshman. Darius George brings it on both ends. We HAVE to have those FT’s. Finally, agreed with the above comment. Any road win in any conference is a good win! On to B’Ham....
One other: 9 TO’s in 1st half, only 5 in the second,

Any win on the road is a good win. Bennett is starting to become that inside presence we need him to be. These guys are trending in the right direction. Got to tighten up that passing against better teams. Always good to have three primary ballhanders/playmakers in West, Kinsey, and Taylor. On to Birmingham. Look out for a podcast Monday on our basketball team featuring @Sean Hammond and one of the coaches. Go Herd!

Hey - two other significant #’s imo

...that’s the number of minutes Bennett was on the floor.

......that’s the # of fouls he committed.

Let that sink in. We made so many mistakes tonite, it could have easily been a L. Bennett, George, West & Kinsey. Still need several guys to step up, but we have a core.

Go Herd!

Reactions: lexkyherdfan
Lots of empty seats in the Boro.

I have never seen, anywhere, where they did not even bother to set up the seats in the upper deck. If you looked carefully, the upper deck bleachers were not even rolled into place. The unaudited claimed attendance was 2703, but 400 seems generous. The reverse schedule women’s game in Huntington may have outdrawn the men.

Reactions: Elkview
AREA COLLEGES MAR 06, 2018

MTSU hoops tops C-USA in attendance
Big crowds for final games at Murphy Center push Blue Raiders to the top

AUTHORS David Boclair

Middle Tennessee State’s basketball team has been something to see all season.

And people came out to watch — especially recently.

For the first time, MTSU led Conference USA in attendance. The Blue Raiders drew an average of 6,909 fans for its 13 games at the Murphy Center, including 11,307 (the ninth-largest men’s basketball crowd in the history of the building), for last Thursday’s game against Western Kentucky. Another 10,050 showed up Saturday for the regular season finale against Marshall, a 76-67 defeat.

Old Dominion was second with an average of 6,346 fans and Texas-El Paso was third at 6,155.

MTSU has been a member of Conference USA since 2012.

“It just gave us such a great look on national TV [against Western Kentucky],” coach Kermit Davis said, according to The Daily News Journal. “I’ve had some people call and text from all around the country and just talk about the environment that they saw.

“I don’t know if fans really understand just how important that is in the recruiting part of it, when these kids start watching your team play. (Saturday) we probably had five or six unofficial visits in. Our team didn’t play great, but they sure enjoyed the over 10,000 fans that were there.”

Overall, the team drew 89,827 fans to its home games. That was up from 88,628 in 15 games in 2016-17.

MTSU went 11-2 at home this season. Its only loss other than to Marshall was against Belmont (69-63 on Nov. 19). Since Davis became head coach, the Blue Raiders have gone 181-56 at home.

"Just a huge thank you to our fans," Davis said. "They responded in an unbelievable way. Our players are so appreciative."

MTSU (24-6) is the No.1 seed in the C-USA Tournament, which begins this week at Frisco, Texas. The Blue Raiders’ first game is Thursday against an opponent that is to be determined.

.....imagine that: When you put a quality product on the court and build a winning/championship mentality, people show up in a big way.
....when your HC leaves and takes his staff with him, & the new Coaching staff struggles, people stay home......hmmmmm, that sounds vaguely familiar....

UAB is coming off a 10 point win over WKU and will be a handful tomorrow night. Hopefully we can keep improving.

I didn't watch the game, but guards must be finding a way to get the ball inside to Bennett. This is the key to the team's success this season. His bulk and good hands/feet will allow him to get 15-20 points in a number of games for us. We don't have the skilled shooters outside we had last year, so we need more inside/outside balance to get the wins. Team has so much potential if it can continue to play as a unit and the young players show their growth. George's play may turn out to be the biggest surprise on this year's team. Marko will be recognized for his play before the season is over. Will be interesting to see if any players leave at end of season. And next year's recruiting will be fun to watch.

.....imagine that: When you put a quality product on the court and build a winning/championship mentality, people show up in a big way.
I'm sure they had better crowds in 2018 than the one they had last night, but I'd like to see some photographs of those huge crowds they were having. I just don't see how you go from averaging 7k fans a night for a whole season to having 150 warm butts in the building for a conferenece game two years later.

I keep thinking when we played them in the NIT back in 2012 that house was like a third full.

I'm sure they had better crowds in 2018 than the one they had last night, but I'd like to see some photographs of those huge crowds they were having. I just don't see how you go from averaging 7k fans a night for a whole season to having 150 warm butts in the building for a conferenece game two years later.

I keep thinking when we played them in the NIT back in 2012 that house was like a third full.
Yeah, their attendance was shit when they were good. Their fans (the few they have) talked about it all the time on their message board. I think Davis started calling people out the season after they made their 2nd tournament run and it was looking like they were heading for a 3rd. That is when the article posted got written. Davis saying, "just a huge thank you to our fans...they responded in an unbelievable way. Our players are so appreciative" isn't something you say when you've had long-time fan support. "They responded" because he called them out.

Reactions: herdalicious

I was at the game when we beat them on senior night and ranked in the top 25 in Feb/March on 2018. The bleachers were pulled out and it was crazy in there. As the story said they had over 10k.
I was also in the the previous year when we played them on a Thursday. No where near 10k but far more than there last night.

ADVERTISEMENT