ADVERTISEMENT

MU PRESS RELEASE MBB: Thundering Herd Outlasts Pioneers, 113-108

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – The defending Conference USA champion Marshall men’s basketball team returned to the court Sunday with a 113-108 exhibition win against Division II Glenville State at the Henderson Center.

It was a homecoming for a couple of the visitors – former guard Ot Elmore is in his first season as a Glenville State assistant coach and Herd transfer Phil Bledsoe is a starter for the Pioneers – but there was no upset as Marshall played its first game since March’s C-USA tournament and NCAA tournament run.

The game featured 13 lead changes and eight ties, and visiting Glenville State led for 16 minutes and 50 seconds of the 40-minute contest.

“We played a lot of guys; a lot of different lineups,” said Jon Elmore, a senior guard for Marshall. “I saw South Carolina lost the other day in their exhibition game. Anything can happen in these games. These guys are coming in, they’re not here to get beat. The first exhibition game of the year is always going to be tough; you haven’t played with each other in a live game, referees, crowd there, you have a little adrenaline there you don’t have in practice. It’s definitely a learning experience.”

Glenville State made 17 of 37 from 3-point range, but Bledsoe missed a game-tying 3 with 31 seconds left that sealed the outcome. Jamal Pollydore finished with a game-high 34 points for Glenville State, and he made 8 of 10 from 3-point range.

“They shot the heck out of the ball,” Elmore said. “They started off on fire.”

Glenville State, which was picked to finish eighth in Mountain East Conference preseason poll, opened the game on an 11-0 run, bookended by a game-opening jump shot by Bledsoe and a 3-pointer by Bledsoe with 17:32 left of the first half. Marshall whittled away at the deficit from there, outscoring the Pioneers 63-43 the rest of the half.

Marshall fans received a long look at the team’s newcomers. Redshirt freshman big man Iran Bennett scored the Herd’s first points, 2 of the 28 the team scored in the paint in the first half. After MU missed its first five 3-point attempts, senior guard C.J. Burks connected on one to trim Glenville State’s lead to 17-10 with 14:57 left.

Marshall’s first lead came more than 13 minutes into the game when Elmore finished a reverse layup to make it 40-39, Herd, with 6:31 left of the first half. The lead was short-lived – 19 seconds – as Bledsoe answered with a 3-pointer on the other end. The teams traded baskets and the lead until Burks found sophomore forward Jannson Williams for an alley-oop to make it 50-49, Herd, with 3:43 left of the first half.

After the early deficit, Marshall led 63-54 at halftime – its largest lead to that point. Burks led the way with 19 first-half points, and three others – sophomore forward Darius George, sophomore guard Jarrod West and Elmore – were in double figures by intermission.

“Boy, they shot the lights out,” Marshall coach Dan D’Antoni said of Glenville State. “I thought they did a great job. I hope it was beneficial for their team. They gave us something, so I hope we gave them something.

“I didn’t know they could shoot like that.”

Marshall squandered its halftime lead within the first three minutes of the second half, and Glenville State took a 71-70 lead on a jumper by Karl Jeanty. Neither team led by more than 6 points the rest of the way, and Burks had a breakaway dunk with 25 seconds left to arrive at the final score.

“We’ve got some things we can work on,” D’Antoni said. “We have to hone it in defensively.”

Burks finished with a team-high 25 points on 10 of 13 shooting. He also had five assists. Elmore filled the stat sheet with 16 points, nine assists and eight rebounds in 33 minutes. West finished with 16 points, senior guard Rondale Watson added 11 and George’s breakout ended with 19 points, six rebounds and 3 of 4 shooting from 3-point range.

Overall, the Herd shot 53.2 percent from the field (41 of 77), 32.0 percent from 3-point range (8 of 25) and 88.5 percent from the foul line (23 of 26). Marshall had 20 assists against 10 turnovers, but witnessed Glenville State connect on nine more 3-point attempts and outrebound MU, 46-44. Bledsoe finished with the game’s only double-double in his return to the Henderson Center: 14 points and 10 rebounds.

“That’s what exhibitions are for – to see how you get better on down the road,” D’Antoni said. “Our teams, historically, in my four years here, have all gotten better as we go down the road.”

The Marshall men’s basketball team will play another exhibition game at the Henderson Center this Thursday, Nov. 1, against West Virginia Wesleyan. Tipoff for that game is 7 p.m.

The regular season opener is Wednesday, Nov. 7 at Eastern Kentucky (7 p.m.). The official home opener is Sunday, Nov. 11 against Hofstra at 2:30 p.m.

Giving up that many points to them surprised me. Terrible defense, had to be. Glenville is picked to finish 4th in that leauge.We did score more.
Danny did NOT use any of his defensive packages that he has worked all summer on. He played straight up man. No traps and no press. You won't see any of that until EKU at earliest

Danny did NOT use any of his defensive packages that he has worked all summer on. He played straight up man. No traps and no press. You won't see any of that until EKU at earliest[/QUOTE

One would think he would use some against Wesleyan to work out the kinks. Seems to be the smart thing to do.

If you know Danny, and I assume you do, you know he is VERY stubborn and will do things his way all the time. I just have faith in his decisions.
I have never been around a coach that W's mean so little. To him it's all about how you finish the year. You can see that in the way every teams he has had has progressed as the year went by.

If you know Danny, and I assume you do, you know he is VERY stubborn and will do things his way all the time. I just have faith in his decisions.
I have never been around a coach that W's mean so little. To him it's all about how you finish the year. You can see that in the way every teams he has had has progressed as the year went by.

Agree his teams get better as the year progresses; but this year, we have a target on our back, not to mention would hope to do well enough in the OOC to warrant an at large bid if we don't win CUSA. Knowing that, we'll need to come out firing on all cylinders from the get go. jmo

We lose a couple games every year we shouldn't and I won't be surprised to see it again this year. But I have no doubts that by Frisco time, we will be ready to go for a repeat championship.

I plan to go to UVA and Maryland, along with quite a few other away games and I fully expect to win them. But it is basketball and a long season.

herdmeister I appreciate your input and im an optimist but our D last nite had nothing to do with defensive packages. we have 2 get better and compete and take pride in D. I do agree that we will get better as the season goes but we shouldn't be having this discussion with the SR leadership that we have. we don't need to put ALL of the pressure on winning the conference tourney. we have the talent to beat UVA, Maryland and texas am which could help solidify an at large bid.

Reactions: The Real SamC
we don't need to put ALL of the pressure on winning the conference tourney.

Exactly.

If the plan is "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows", then fine. It worked better than it ever could have last year, and 30 years prior to that it also worked to a degree. If that is the program then there is no reason to play SEC, ACC, and Big 10 teams (other than for money) and no reason to have the innovative season ending variable schedule. Just play WKU for the one-bid, and why bother with the Cowboys' venue so many criticize here, just call up UK and rent Memorial Coliseum, which is about half way (Rupp is way too big), winner gets a 12 to 14 seed and maybe upsets somebody over-rated, maybe not; loser goes to the NIT or a pay to play.

Exactly.

If the plan is "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows", then fine. It worked better than it ever could have last year, and 30 years prior to that it also worked to a degree. If that is the program then there is no reason to play SEC, ACC, and Big 10 teams (other than for money) and no reason to have the innovative season ending variable schedule. Just play WKU for the one-bid, and why bother with the Cowboys' venue so many criticize here, just call up UK and rent Memorial Coliseum, which is about half way (Rupp is way too big), winner gets a 12 to 14 seed and maybe upsets somebody over-rated, maybe not; loser goes to the NIT or a pay to play.
I think about the only ones that complain about Frisco are the ones that didn't go. Those of us that were there, for the most liked it

Exactly.

The plan is to get into the NCAA tournament. Winning the conference is the only guaranteed way to make that happen. So, yeah, winning the CUSA tournament is the plan. The last three years, we've either won the CUSA tournament or have been knocked out by the team who did. It's not about "getting hot" like some stroke of luck we fall into. It's about trying things out, experimenting with lineup combinations, different offensive sets/defensive looks, and grinding that out through the season in the hopes you're playing your best basketball late in the year. It's by design, not luck. And it's worked.

no , I totally understand what you guys are saying, but im saying we need to start thinking bigger. were a top 25 team in the country if you ask me.i think we can beat the big boys (UVA, Maryland, tex am) and if we do, then we don't put pressure on ourselves to only win the conf tourney. obviously you want to be hot in march but why not be hot in November. this is a SR laden team with a lot of experience. if we want marshall to be one of the big boys, we have to think bigger and hold our guys accountable is all im saying.

The plan is to get into the NCAA tournament. Winning the conference is the only guaranteed way to make that happen. So, yeah, winning the CUSA tournament is the plan. The last three years, we've either won the CUSA tournament or have been knocked out by the team who did. It's not about "getting hot" like some stroke of luck we fall into. It's about trying things out, experimenting with lineup combinations, different offensive sets/defensive looks, and grinding that out through the season in the hopes you're playing your best basketball late in the year. It's by design, not luck. And it's worked.
This year is different for MU. We do actually have a chance to be a TWO bid league if both Marshall and WKU take care of business in ooc. We cannot lose early games to lesser teams and we need to beat Maryland or Texas AM.

This year is different for MU. We do actually have a chance to be a TWO bid league if both Marshall and WKU take care of business in ooc. We cannot lose early games to lesser teams and we need to beat Maryland or Texas AM.
The selection committee is as biased toward big schools as the college football playoff committee is. You see solid small schools get robbed every year in favor of bigger schools who are hovering around .500.

We lose a couple games every year we shouldn't and I won't be surprised to see it again this year. But I have no doubts that by Frisco time, we will be ready to go for a repeat championship.

I plan to go to UVA and Maryland, along with quite a few other away games and I fully expect to win them. But it is basketball and a long season.
Expectations with the returning talent should be higher than we will lose a couple of games we shouldn't but we should be good by the time the CUSA tournament comes around. This team should be expected to win all their OOC games against the non-power conference schools and should win most of our conference games. If we don't then there will be no margin for error, as losing a few we shouldn't and don't win the conference tournament, will result in no post season play. I don't care what happened in the exhibition game, but winning as many of our OOC games as possible is almost as important as winning the regular season CUSA title, and then winning the conference tournament.

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – The defending Conference USA champion Marshall men’s basketball team returned to the court Sunday with a 113-108 exhibition win against Division II Glenville State at the Henderson Center.

It was a homecoming for a couple of the visitors – former guard Ot Elmore is in his first season as a Glenville State assistant coach and Herd transfer Phil Bledsoe is a starter for the Pioneers – but there was no upset as Marshall played its first game since March’s C-USA tournament and NCAA tournament run.

The game featured 13 lead changes and eight ties, and visiting Glenville State led for 16 minutes and 50 seconds of the 40-minute contest.

“We played a lot of guys; a lot of different lineups,” said Jon Elmore, a senior guard for Marshall. “I saw South Carolina lost the other day in their exhibition game. Anything can happen in these games. These guys are coming in, they’re not here to get beat. The first exhibition game of the year is always going to be tough; you haven’t played with each other in a live game, referees, crowd there, you have a little adrenaline there you don’t have in practice. It’s definitely a learning experience.”

Glenville State made 17 of 37 from 3-point range, but Bledsoe missed a game-tying 3 with 31 seconds left that sealed the outcome. Jamal Pollydore finished with a game-high 34 points for Glenville State, and he made 8 of 10 from 3-point range.

“They shot the heck out of the ball,” Elmore said. “They started off on fire.”

Glenville State, which was picked to finish eighth in Mountain East Conference preseason poll, opened the game on an 11-0 run, bookended by a game-opening jump shot by Bledsoe and a 3-pointer by Bledsoe with 17:32 left of the first half. Marshall whittled away at the deficit from there, outscoring the Pioneers 63-43 the rest of the half.

Marshall fans received a long look at the team’s newcomers. Redshirt freshman big man Iran Bennett scored the Herd’s first points, 2 of the 28 the team scored in the paint in the first half. After MU missed its first five 3-point attempts, senior guard C.J. Burks connected on one to trim Glenville State’s lead to 17-10 with 14:57 left.

Marshall’s first lead came more than 13 minutes into the game when Elmore finished a reverse layup to make it 40-39, Herd, with 6:31 left of the first half. The lead was short-lived – 19 seconds – as Bledsoe answered with a 3-pointer on the other end. The teams traded baskets and the lead until Burks found sophomore forward Jannson Williams for an alley-oop to make it 50-49, Herd, with 3:43 left of the first half.

After the early deficit, Marshall led 63-54 at halftime – its largest lead to that point. Burks led the way with 19 first-half points, and three others – sophomore forward Darius George, sophomore guard Jarrod West and Elmore – were in double figures by intermission.

“Boy, they shot the lights out,” Marshall coach Dan D’Antoni said of Glenville State. “I thought they did a great job. I hope it was beneficial for their team. They gave us something, so I hope we gave them something.

“I didn’t know they could shoot like that.”

Marshall squandered its halftime lead within the first three minutes of the second half, and Glenville State took a 71-70 lead on a jumper by Karl Jeanty. Neither team led by more than 6 points the rest of the way, and Burks had a breakaway dunk with 25 seconds left to arrive at the final score.

“We’ve got some things we can work on,” D’Antoni said. “We have to hone it in defensively.”

Burks finished with a team-high 25 points on 10 of 13 shooting. He also had five assists. Elmore filled the stat sheet with 16 points, nine assists and eight rebounds in 33 minutes. West finished with 16 points, senior guard Rondale Watson added 11 and George’s breakout ended with 19 points, six rebounds and 3 of 4 shooting from 3-point range.

Overall, the Herd shot 53.2 percent from the field (41 of 77), 32.0 percent from 3-point range (8 of 25) and 88.5 percent from the foul line (23 of 26). Marshall had 20 assists against 10 turnovers, but witnessed Glenville State connect on nine more 3-point attempts and outrebound MU, 46-44. Bledsoe finished with the game’s only double-double in his return to the Henderson Center: 14 points and 10 rebounds.

“That’s what exhibitions are for – to see how you get better on down the road,” D’Antoni said. “Our teams, historically, in my four years here, have all gotten better as we go down the road.”

The Marshall men’s basketball team will play another exhibition game at the Henderson Center this Thursday, Nov. 1, against West Virginia Wesleyan. Tipoff for that game is 7 p.m.

The regular season opener is Wednesday, Nov. 7 at Eastern Kentucky (7 p.m.). The official home opener is Sunday, Nov. 11 against Hofstra at 2:30 p.m.
Ok, so why didn't we see Mikel Byers at all yesterday? I can understand the others that didn't play, but why not Byers?

I think about the only ones that complain about Frisco are the ones that didn't go. Those of us that were there, for the most liked it

We LOVED the whole tournament. The place. the set up. the surrounding area. Everything. we've already bought our plane tickets and as soon as the team hotel is known, we will book our rooms. I personally liked the frisco tourny better than san diego.

Reactions: pdbailey
The selection committee is as biased toward big schools as the college football playoff committee is. You see solid small schools get robbed every year in favor of bigger schools who are hovering around .500.

To quote an old Sonny assistant "Leave no doubt."

Is the committee biased against smaller programs?

Yes. And?

How do you combat that? You W I N . You rack up win after win after win. You do not accept losing. You win. Then you hit March, and the committee, not with an auto bid and get seeded low, but with a resume of WINNING that yields fact even the committee cannot ignore.

Or you accept that CUSA is on the same level as the Big South, MAAC, MEAC, America East, Southern, SWAC, and such like and stop pretending.

To quote an old Sonny assistant "Leave no doubt."

Is the committee biased against smaller programs?

Yes. And?

How do you combat that? You W I N . You rack up win after win after win. You do not accept losing. You win. Then you hit March, and the committee, not with an auto bid and get seeded low, but with a resume of WINNING that yields fact even the committee cannot ignore.

Or you accept that CUSA is on the same level as the Big South, MAAC, MEAC, America East, Southern, SWAC, and such like and stop pretending.
That sounds good on paper. It would be great to do that. That's what schools like Dayton, Davidson, Wichita, VCU, Butler, Xavier, etc have done. We're in the beginning stages of that. You don't do it in one season. You have to build a program to sustain that. WKU last year beat Purdue, SMU, got robbed @Wisconsin, and lost to the national champ by only 8. That gave them an NIT bid because they didn't win the CUSA tournament.

MTSU beat Florida Gulf Coast twice, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, and only lost to Belmont, Auburn, USC, Miami, and us twice...before having a bad night against So Miss in the CUSA tournament. 24-6 record, were ranked in the Top 25, had back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances and advanced to the 2nd round two years in a row, and were a 3rd seed in the NIT.

CUSA is on the same level as everyone below the P5 + Big East/AAC/A-10.

CUSA is on the same level as everyone below the P5 + Big East/AAC/A-10.

With all respect, there are more than two levels to Div I basketball.

There are the power conferences. And there are true one-bid leagues. Leagues like America East, A-Sun, all the fake Bigs (Sky, South, West) MAAC, NEC, OVC, SoCon, Southland, and the two HBCU leagues. These teams get ONE BID under all circumstances. A team MUST win the conference tournament and as a reward will be seeded no higher than 13th or so. The regular season does not matter at all.

And then there are leagues in between. Leagues that, if you have a truly outstanding year and an upset, you can get a second bid. Leagues that can get a single digit seed some years. Leagues that can get ranked. Leagues that are on TV more than their conf. final on ESPN something. Mid-majors.

The question for CUSA is into which group do we fall. Apparently many in this fan base are happy with "get hot in the conf. tourney and who knows."

sean I agree with you to a degree. yes, traditionally teams have been snubbed but just because they have been snubbed doesn't mean we shouldn't raise our expectations and at least give ourselves a chance for an at large bid. MU is on the map now. the country knows who coach D is, and elmore is on a few national preseason teams, so this team has the ability to take advantage of that success. we were top 25 in some preseason polls, so we need to have a sense of urgency when we play these subpar OOC teams is all im saying. if we WIN in the regular season and get wins vs UVA and Maryland, we give ourselves a chance for NCAA if we were to slip up in conf usa tourney. if we beat Maryland and UVA during regular season we will be ranked in the top 20. if we win during regular season and stay in top 20 we will be NCAA at large bid team

sean I agree with you to a degree. yes, traditionally teams have been snubbed but just because they have been snubbed doesn't mean we shouldn't raise our expectations and at least give ourselves a chance for an at large bid. MU is on the map now. the country knows who coach D is, and elmore is on a few national preseason teams, so this team has the ability to take advantage of that success. we were top 25 in some preseason polls, so we need to have a sense of urgency when we play these subpar OOC teams is all im saying. if we WIN in the regular season and get wins vs UVA and Maryland, we give ourselves a chance for NCAA if we were to slip up in conf usa tourney. if we beat Maryland and UVA during regular season we will be ranked in the top 20. if we win during regular season and stay in top 20 we will be NCAA at large bid team
I'm just saying, we're new to this. Welcome to what every other mid-major has been dealing with. Just because you play somebody and beat somebody, doesn't mean it leads to anything. If we would beat Maryland & Texas A&M, play Virginia close, and lose close ones @Duquesne, @WKU, @North Texas, then lose one of those 5 games we now play late in the year vs the top of the conference, and play poorly/get upset in the opening round of the CUSA tournament like MTSU did last year, we're done. It negates everything in the committee's eyes. MTSU & WKU beat some good teams last year, but were left out because of a few conference losses they had. MTSU got left out because they lost to us twice. It's difficult to bring it every night and be on your game every night. Especially when you play that Thursday-Saturday road combo.

We had a hell of a run late last year. Our program keeps improving and taking steps every year under D'antoni. But lets not act like our program took 10 steps last season because we played 2 weeks of incredible basketball. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we're not winning 28+ games. It will take a 28-4 or better type of season for us to get an at-large bid if we don't win the CUSA tournament. It's just not reasonable to expect that's going to happen.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I agree if we lose 5 or 6 games in conference. totally but if we play to our potential (which is why we were preseason 25 in some polls), we could win those games. all im saying is we cant play the way we played the other nite. we have too much experience and SR leadership to play that way. MU hoops has a lot of momentum rite now and we need to take advantage of it. have a ? for you. if we beat UVA and Maryland and tex am before conference play, do you think MU will be ranked

I agree if we lose 5 or 6 games in conference. totally but if we play to our potential (which is why we were preseason 25 in some polls), we could win those games. all im saying is we cant play the way we played the other nite. we have too much experience and SR leadership to play that way. MU hoops has a lot of momentum rite now and we need to take advantage of it. have a ? for you. if we beat UVA and Maryland and tex am before conference play, do you think MU will be ranked
IMO....hell yes we would be ranked.

I totally agree herdinatl. my point is, if we take care of business and get ranked. take care of business in conference play, maybe lose 1or2 games and then lose in conf usa championship game, we could be at large NCAA. I believe that is reasonable goals/expectations for this team. we didn't come out with that focus/mindset the other nite. that is all im saying. we shouldn't have the mindset of last yr, lets get hot in march and make a run. that is the mindset of an avg mid/low major program. if we want to be the next Gonzaga, vcu, butler, etc. we have to raise our expectations. we cant be content with last yrs run and be a 1 hit wonder

There's no doubt we will be. But we're not in a position to expect to get up and beat those teams and not have nights where we stub our toe. Nobody plays their A game every night. MTSU also had the leadership, CUSA player of the year + Giddy Potts + Dixon, and lost only 2 CUSA games (to us) going into the tournament. They had one of those games and were relegated to the NIT.

WKU was good last year and lost to UTSA, Ohio, Missouri State, and an average UAB team. Nobody is CUSA is as good as Memphis used to be where when they're not playing well and someone is on, they can still win the game. I get that we've gotten some Top 25 love in a preseason magazine, but we're not a Top 25 team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT