ADVERTISEMENT

Miami Press Conference

4DHerd

Green Buffalo
Gold Member
May 19, 2017
Interesting take from Miami Coach. Also you will notice one thing, media questions can be heard plainly and clearly. LOL. Why can't we give someone a microphone?

Reactions: Elkview
Yes that is a big difference. I really thought it was interesting when he started tried to answer what how they are preparing for the MU offense and which quarterback we would use. He admits they have no idea how to prepare for us and what we will do. He even says we imagine they will run it all day.

I still think it's bizarre that we're their homecoming game.

I consider it an insult. I'm surprised no one else seems to think the same. Teams usually schedule a cupcake to play in their homecoming to ensure a win.

I consider it an insult. I'm surprised no one else seems to think the same. Teams usually schedule a cupcake to play in their homecoming to ensure a win.
It was probably meant as an insult to be honest. I hope the team goes in there and knocks Ragland into the next zip code like they did last year and we beat them by 3-4 TDs at a minimum. The truth is, I expect it to be a hard fought game between rivals where our talent pulls out a close one.

It was probably meant as an insult to be honest. I hope the team goes in there and knocks Ragland into the next zip code like they did last year and we beat them by 3-4 TDs at a minimum. The truth is, I expect it to be a hard fought game between rivals where our talent pulls out a close one.

In their case it's because it is the only game they will actually draw for and we're the only team that actually brings fans. You remember the MAC days. I went up for the game in 2015. We filled half their stadium. I mean look at OHIO. Their fans leave after seeing their band play at half time.

If they went traditional and held their HC game in October then their opponent would have most likely been Kent State. There might have been 30 fans at that game.

Agree.

I don't think it is them showing shade our way. I think they're just trying to get butts in the stadium.
I went to a game there in the late 90's. Traffic was awful getting in and out of Oxford. And it was a nightmare getting into the stadium. Will never return to Oxford.

From Metronews:

Even Holliday is amused by the situation.

“I don’t know how you pick the Homecoming Queen when she’s only been on campus for about a week,” Holliday said. “I don’t know how they voted on her since nobody knows her.

I think its a response to last year, knowing they were better than us and still lost, and the sting of that loss may have carried over past our game. It was the difference between that team going to a bowl and finishing 5-7.

First game in the new offense with a new QB, have no doubt they'll be better than us Saturday as well. That said, it'll be interesting to see how we fare without Chase "The Point Barber" Litton slinging the rock around for us, though.

Well, I never saw an offense stall so much since Litton took the reigns, whether that was on Legg or Litton or both. Both gone, one can hope the stalling goes down some for sure, but who knows. Guess we find out Saturday.

I think its a response to last year, knowing they were better than us and still lost

I still don't know how true this really is. Did they outgain us on the stat sheet? Sure. The passed for 90 more yards and rushed for 72 more.

Some look at us NEEDING to KR TDs from Davis to win. You can also look at that from the viewpoint of that is 2 less offensive drives that we had during the game. For all anyone knows we could have drove down the field on those drives and picked up yards and points. Same goes for the first down difference of 25 for Miami and 15 for us. You don't think two more offensive possessions would have closed that gap.

Ragland was 23/44 for 298 yards on 6.7 YPA on 52.3% passing
Litton was 20/30 for 208 yards on 6.9 YPA on 66.7% passing

Ragland had a passer rating of 119.6 and Litton's was 129.2.

One could argue Litton was the better QB and judging from his YPA and Comp% he had no troubles moving the ball.

Their leading rusher was Alonzo Smith who had 13 carries for 59 yards and no TDs. Our was friggin Trey Rodriguez would had 18 carries for 54 yards and not TDs. Smith edged Rodriguez in YPC with 4.5 vs 3.0. That right there is a note we all should point to. Rodriguez sucked. Our running game is 1,000x better than it was at that point last season. Davis only got 2 carries in that game.

The other point to Keion Davis having to KR TDs last year. If he doesn't return those or even only gets one of the two. Think about the added time of possession that Little Miami gets because out offense loses two offensive drives. So you could argue had we had needed to be on the field for those two drives that would have taken T.O.P. away from Little Miami thus taking away some of their production. Give us back those two would be offensive drives and maybe you take away two offensive drives from Cryami.

Point being you cannot really say they were a whole lot better than us last season because of the box score and you definitely can't compare last year's team at that point this year's team. As long as whoever starts it at the very least serviceable then we should win this game.

I still don't know how true this really is. Did they outgain us on the stat sheet? Sure. The passed for 90 more yards and rushed for 72 more.

Some look at us NEEDING to KR TDs from Davis to win. You can also look at that from the viewpoint of that is 2 less offensive drives that we had during the game. For all anyone knows we could have drove down the field on those drives and picked up yards and points. Same goes for the first down difference of 25 for Miami and 15 for us. You don't think two more offensive possessions would have closed that gap.

Ragland was 23/44 for 298 yards on 6.7 YPA on 52.3% passing
Litton was 20/30 for 208 yards on 6.9 YPA on 66.7% passing

Ragland had a passer rating of 119.6 and Litton's was 129.2.

One could argue Litton was the better QB and judging from his YPA and Comp% he had no troubles moving the ball.

Their leading rusher was Alonzo Smith who had 13 carries for 59 yards and no TDs. Our was friggin Trey Rodriguez would had 18 carries for 54 yards and not TDs. Smith edged Rodriguez in YPC with 4.5 vs 3.0. That right there is a note we all should point to. Rodriguez sucked. Our running game is 1,000x better than it was at that point last season. Davis only got 2 carries in that game.

The other point to Keion Davis having to KR TDs last year. If he doesn't return those or even only gets one of the two. Think about the added time of possession that Little Miami gets because out offense loses two offensive drives. So you could argue had we had needed to be on the field for those two drives that would have taken T.O.P. away from Little Miami thus taking away some of their production. Give us back those two would be offensive drives and maybe you take away two offensive drives from Cryami.

Point being you cannot really say they were a whole lot better than us last season because of the box score and you definitely can't compare last year's team at that point this year's team. As long as whoever starts it at the very least serviceable then we should win this game.
I agree, you can't just look at yards from scrimmage, and in this game we won the hidden yardage game by a mile.

Facts:
  • The Yard per Play Avg for the two teams gave the Deadhawks a slight lead at 4.99 to 4.85. That would have been a 12 yard difference if we ran the same number of plays.
  • When you figure in return yards MU 298 to MIA 55, Punt Yards (both teams also punted 4 times) MU 196 to MIA 157, and minus Penalty Yards MU 43 to MIA 51 then MU lead in total yardage (Not including punt yds) 522 to 433, and 718 to 590 with punt yards included.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Of course, devils advocate would say: 2 add’l offensive possessions could have produced a fumble, INT or both,turning the game to the RedHawks advantage.....
Great thread!

........grammar Nazi in 3....2....1
D'oh. Been up late dealing with ex-girlfriends this week. As tired as I am I'm surprised that's the only one in there.

Not only do I do think it's a bit of a desperation move on their part, I think Marshall should take it as a compliment. Fill the stadium, the more the better. Send as many home with the taste of defeat in their mouths as possible.

Now, if we were their homecoming opponent come October, then it would be a slight.

D'oh. Been up late dealing with ex-girlfriends this week. As tired as I am I'm surprised that's the only one in there.

Not only do I do think it's a bit of a desperation move on their part, I think Marshall should take it as a compliment. Fill the stadium, the more the better. Send as many home with the taste of defeat in their mouths as possible.

Now, if we were their homecoming opponent come October, then it would be a slight.
.......agree 100%. The bigger the crowd the better the atmosphere....

I don't know fellas, I'm under the school of thought that we should have been able to slap Miami around last time and not made a game out of it. I think we got lucky and the cards fell in our favor.

Bottom line is, take care of business and you won't have to sit around and develop arguments on justifying a near loss.

The biggest problem last year against Miami as was the case in several other games was the horrible job the offensive line did at opening up running lanes for the running backs. We couldn't get any push on the Miami defense until they wore down late in the game and we were able to make some big runs. Hopefully the O line steps it up this year

That and trey didn't nothing but dance in the backfield and go down at first contact, it was grueling to watch

A bunch of good points.

Point well made. I also think about how we throttled UC in Cincy, while they lost to them at home (in unconscionable fashion, but still).

And its also worth noting that last year, like every year since 2010, we were running a run-pass read-option offense with a QB who didn't want to run. It'll be interesting to see how we do with a system that actually fits its personnel.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT