ADVERTISEMENT

MLB playoffs

Rock98Dog

Platinum Buffalo
Jan 27, 2006
Just noticed that of the 4 teams left playing, three are in the top 5 in terms of payroll. It’s strange because an expert once told me payroll wasn’t an indicator of potential success.

Reactions: 30CAT
I just noticed only 1 of the top 5 highest MLB payrolls made the final 4 last year.

Philadelphia 4*
Arizona 21
Houston 10
Texas 9

Just noticed that of the 4 teams left playing, three are in the top 5 in terms of payroll. It’s strange because an expert once told me payroll wasn’t an indicator of potential success.
I used to think that somebody like Fever was the dumbest person on this board. But over the last couple of years, there have been a few others that have put forth great effort to earn that title.

Stupidity isn't just about a lack of overall knowledge. It's also lacking the ability to learn from experience. And from many, many of your experiences, you should know better by now. I don't make an argument without being fully positive that I will win it using facts. You've failed this same exact argument many times, and you're about to get embarrassed once again in multiple ways on this argument.

First, you're greatly misrepresenting my argument. I have always stated that if there is a team that has a payroll substantially over the standard deviation of the other teams, then payroll does play a major factor. This season, the Yankees and Phillies are far ahead of the other teams ($54MM separates teams #3 - #11 in payroll, yet $74MM separates teams #1 - #3 in payroll). That's because the top two teams are far and away higher than the standard deviation for the other teams.

Second, you're looking at payroll in an illogical way. How MLB calculates payroll doesn't look at the current roster. It looks at old contracts. For instance, the Mets have two pitchers who played part of last season and this entire season with teams other than the Mets, yet the Mets are paying about $45MM to those two former players. So even though neither of those two players have been a Met for over a year, the Mets still have $45MM added to their payroll. Same thing with a player like Bobby Bonilla who hasn't played MLB in about 25 years. Now, does it make sense for your argument to use those contract numbers to reach the point you're trying to prove? Of course not, but logic has never been important to you.

You need to look at current payroll for active players.

Third, once in baseball playoffs, it's a crapshoot. Worse teams can knock out far better teams, due to a best of three series and best of five series. Unlike the other major sports, top baseball teams only win about 58% of their games. That means even the best teams lose quiite a bit to some of the worst teams. So looking at the final four is illogical instead of looking at all of the playoff teams.

In doing so, you'll see that out of 15 teams in the American League, these seeds made the playoffs:
AL - 1 (doesn't count due to standard deviation), 2, 7, 10, 11, 14. Average: 8.8 out of 15.

And when you're done getting educated on this, how about you stop being a coward like your step-father raised you to be and start being a man by answering those questions about Middle Class Murox's comments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT