ADVERTISEMENT

"Momentous announcement" during Homecoming football game?

New series or construction

Agree. But remember this PR is from the general office, not the AD.

My odds:

Single away game versus true major 20-1
H&H series versus P5 10-1
H&H series versus big name G5 5-1
“Substantial” (7 figure) donation to baseball park and beg-o-thon announcement 3- 1
Simple launch of baseball park beg-o-thon Even
(Before someone asks) Series with WVU 1000000000000-1

Academic building 10-1
New program (hard science PhD most likely) 20-1

My odds:

“Substantial” (7 figure) donation to baseball park and beg-o-thon announcement 3- 1

Academic building 10-1

If it was a series with WVU, you would know about it long before Homecoming. That would leak out quickly.

Probably baseball related

My odds:

Academic building 10-1

Probably a combination of the Brad Smith business incubator thing, ACF property plans, and baseball field.

Reactions: Herdmeister
I'm guessing that we will announce the naming of the baseball stadium and a plan to pay for it. Then once the money is available, President Gilbert will leave and the interim president will spend the money elsewhere. Then the baseball stadium will not get built, Wags will leave to coach somewhere else and Herd fans will spend the next 15 years blaming Hamrick and the next baseball coach.

But seriously, do they think making an announcement about an announcement is really going to help attendance? Even for Homecoming I'll be surprised if more than 22-23K show up.

Reactions: EastsideofWestside
Hamrick is stoked! Ready for the big announcement.

original-28911-1392998282-26.jpg

Beating UNT this year isn't claiming any status, they are terrible this week.

There will be two announcements made that day.

One will be made by the university/alumni association and the other will be made by the athletic department.

Reactions: jeremycriss
If I were a betting man, I'd say the school announcement is about Brad Smith/College of business and the athletic dept. maybe about naming the baseball stadium after Coach Cook. jmho.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Because he isn’t very good at his job???

Yeah...because he hasn't gotten an IPF or baseball field or scheduled better for sports or re-done the basketball court or got the soccer field or helped get the sports medicine complex.

Sorry the field goal posts not being painted every year is grounds for him to be fired by your book.

Yeah...because he hasn't gotten an IPF or baseball field or scheduled better for sports or re-done the basketball court or got the soccer field or helped get the sports medicine complex.

Sorry the field goal posts not being painted every year is grounds for him to be fired by your book.
He’s been here 10 years. Marshall has 15 varsity teams. So 150 tries and how many championships under his leadership? 3? 4?

He’s been here 10 years. Marshall has 15 varsity teams. So 150 tries and how many championships under his leadership? 3? 4?

This is a short-sighted view of the AD position... I'm not a ra-ra Hamrick guy, but Im also not a hater (I remember how bad things were at the end of the Kayo Marcum era). Hamrick is the CEO of the athletic department. He isn't responsible for the W's or L's (good or bad) of any one team/program.

There have been positives for certain during MH's tenure... Big picture items like facilities are better without question. I would say scheduling is marginally better in the two sports 90 percent of fans care about. The athletic department has been stable and run consistently. Mens basketball, soccer, and some of the other non-revenue sports have improved.

There are of course negatives with MH as well... Football program has become stagnant, fans have become apathetic. His ability/drive to grow the brand of Marshall athletics is questionable at best.

I would say scheduling is marginally better in the two sports 90 percent of fans care about.

I would say they're a lot more than "marginally" better. Conference schedule not withstanding as we have no control over that we are getting home and homes with teams that we have never gotten before. We've hosted VT, Louisville, NCST, Purdue, and will be hosting Pitt, Boise, and Navy. Outside of WVU which was a government intervention I believe that KState was the only other P5 to visit. The last teams scheduled to visit (Tennessee and Miami) were allowed out of their deals. Sure we played P5s/BCS teams before Hamrick, but they were pay for play patsy games. Hardly if ever did we get return visits. It's become the norm under Hamrick. I for one would love to do away with the FCS teams, but everyone does it.

Basketball is a different animal and harder than heck to get bigger teams to visit. However we've played some pretty big names each season.

I think MH is doing a solid job as AD. Like others have said, he has done well in scheduling OOC teams , he has presided over major upgrades to facilities. Have we won a bunch of titles? No, but he has laid a foundation. Look at soccer. He helped us get a new stadium and now we are making noise! Our IPF is state of the art. For a G5 school we are holding our own with the resources we have available. Oh and did I mention we are finally getting a baseball stadium!!!

The anti Doc crowd, has become an anti Mike crowd because they believe Mike should fire Doc. It is really that simple.

Anybody who does not understand MH is the best AD we have ever had either has not been here very long, or is completely blinded by their delusional anti Doc hatred.

If you don't know he wants the best for Marshall, then you have your head up your .......! He should rate a pass if for nothing else than for the new facilities. A program cannot advance without great facilities. In addition, we have had no scandals or violation of NCAA rules. "We do more with less", should be remembered. Considering the finances the dept. has to work with, you would be hard pressed to find another one that has been as successful as this one. Some need to start looking at the glass 1/2 full, instead of constantly not appreciating the job done by the AD and coaches.

Let us also not forget Hamrick has one accomplishment that no other Marshall University Athletics Director has. An NCAA Tournament win during his tenure.

I will say this. Most condemn Hamrick because Doc is still here. Not that Doc hasn't been fired for 2019. Most of the years that the fans have wanted Doc shown the door would have been knee jerk reactions and would actually be a sign of weak leadership. There were people on here calling for Doc's head after the 2010 season for taking a one step game back and missing a bowl, then again in 2012, then again after the 2013 loss to Rice, in 2016, and each year since then. I'm glad he didn't make a move just to appease the fanatics during 2010-2014. IMO both Doc and Hamrick get a pass for 2016. Most teams, especially at the G5 level, are able to overcome their starting QB going down to injury not to mention our record from 2013-2015.

However since 2016 the program has gone stagnate. It's time to move on.

Yeah... that’s not it at all

I mean, what are you gauging that on?

Has Marshall ever had a good AD in your opinion?

To be honest I’m not sure. Being that I’ve only been old enough to notice during one.
And I don’t think he is bad enough to be fired (thus my desire for him to retire).

But he’s mediocre. Our athletic department is mediocre. Nothing is outstanding. I am a baseball guy, and the renderings of the baseball stadium do not get me excited (I am very excited for a baseball stadium, just wish execution was better), our facilities that we have are consistently ignored, the atmosphere at football games is awful. We are in an awful conference, still. Hopefully he’s tried to get ya out of it and into the American.

yes we’ve won some games. But we’re mediocre. And we’ve accepted that. Nothing is fresh coming out of this athletic department.

I mean, what are you gauging that on?

Has Marshall ever had a good AD in your opinion?

To be honest I’m not sure. Being that I’ve only been old enough to notice during one.
And I don’t think he is bad enough to be fired (thus my desire for him to retire).

But he’s mediocre. Our athletic department is mediocre. Nothing is outstanding. I am a baseball guy, and the renderings of the baseball stadium do not get me excited (I am very excited for a baseball stadium, just wish execution was better), our facilities that we have are consistently ignored, the atmosphere at football games is awful. We are in an awful conference, still. Hopefully he’s tried to get ya out of it and into the American.

yes we’ve won some games. But we’re mediocre. And we’ve accepted that. Nothing is fresh coming out of this athletic department.

Was every AD in our history simply the worst AD of all time then? He runs an athletic department that very few are interested in donating to monetarily and yet has built numerous things and given us a chance with limited resources.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT