ADVERTISEMENT

Moonshine Thyawn-yawn

herdalicious

Platinum Buffalo
Apr 3, 2007
Xanadu
Gotta say for the record: that loss in 2014 didn't cost us a New Years bowl - we were behind Boise no matter what happened in our last two games. We would have wound up playing NIU even if we were undefeated.

Their fans want to call it a rivalry, because its flattering to them. I don't think it's a rivalry anymore, if it ever was one. That is one of the most pathetic FBS teams I've ever seen in my life. They should have pulled an ODU, or at least a Rice.

2 years of really good football, makes some
Gotta say for the record: that loss in 2014 didn't cost us a New Years bowl - we were behind Boise no matter what happened in our last two games. We would have wound up playing NIU even if we were undefeated.

Their fans want to call it a rivalry, because its flattering to them. I don't think it's a rivalry anymore, if it ever was one. That is one of the most pathetic FBS teams I've ever seen in my life. They should have pulled an ODU, or at least a Rice.

2 years of really good football and WKU wants to consider it a rivalry.

Their fans want to call it a rivalry, because its flattering to them.

Marshall is always going to be the eastern, western, southern, or northern -most member of any league we have ever or will ever be in. If you have been around MU sports long enough, you have seen us bounce between lots of leagues, and in the process between the "south" and the "midwest" and back again and again, you get this. Thus, "rival" for MU just means "we were good at football (or basketball) at the same time in a particular short era." MU has no rivals, and probably never will.

As to WKU, for a long time their rival was EKU. Western has moved up, and good for them, but in doing so it walked away from its history. That happens, but likewise they have no "rivals" today. And if they did, Middle looks more like it than we do. Blunt fact is that last time we played at WKU, the Cats were playing basketball and the few people there were mostly watching their actual favorite team on their phones.

Marshall is always going to be the eastern, western, southern, or northern -most member of any league we have ever or will ever be in. If you have been around MU sports long enough, you have seen us bounce between lots of leagues, and in the process between the "south" and the "midwest" and back again and again, you get this. Thus, "rival" for MU just means "we were good at football (or basketball) at the same time in a particular short era." MU has no rivals, and probably never will.

As to WKU, for a long time their rival was EKU. Western has moved up, and good for them, but in doing so it walked away from its history. That happens, but likewise they have no "rivals" today. And if they did, Middle looks more like it than we do. Blunt fact is that last time we played at WKU, the Cats were playing basketball and the few people there were mostly watching their actual favorite team on their phones.
This, IMO is Sam in his wheelhouse! Well thought-out, keep in’ it real in terms of the TOSU complex for fans with one Top tier team in their state. I believe we could, in the near-term, have a good rivalry w/App. O/wise, he’s right: Our old MAC rivals are only that in the minds of us older faithful. CUSA - ehhhh.....ODU in basketball & WKU/Charlotte in football (because we have lost to both in recent years) but none of these registers on the Richter scale, while WVU is like an 8.9.....

Middle Tennessee and WKU have been big rivals for years. They are each other's biggest rival

you don't know that. the committee showed they would jump teams over other teams without requiring the loss as the traditional polls. not to mention, we played our tougher games at the end of the season.

how about 2014? I believe there are multiple examples over the years in the selection committee rankings. let's go with OSU jumping TCU (tcu didn't lose) in the last selection committee poll in 2014. i believe they jumped Baylor as well earlier without Baylor losing.

I know some would argue OSU has the brand but there are other examples, I just provided one that is more easy to remember or find googling.

I was thinking more like when that might have happened to a G5 headed to the Access Bowl.

The fact that Boise was ahead of us all year, even with two losses (in weeks 1 and 5), was a pretty strong indication that we would not be able to leap them, even if we were undefeated, without them accruing a third.

I was thinking more like when that might have happened to a G5 headed to the Access Bowl.

The fact that Boise was ahead of us all year, even with two losses (in weeks 1 and 5), was a pretty strong indication that we would not be able to leap them, even if we were undefeated, without them accruing a third.

You may be right, I personally think the two loss difference is the key. I don't doubt that in most years an undefeated MU would not be selected over a one loss AAC or Boise type. Even at that I would not say it is an absolute depending on our out of conference schedules etc. As for 2014, I like our chances undefeated over a two loss Boise St not to mention we would have our best wins over WKU and La Tech at the end of the year and as I said, the committee proved it would move teams over other teams without requiring a loss.

I don't know that we would have gone even if undefeated in 2014 just as you do not know we would not have gone in 2014. That's why i'm not stating my opinion as fact as you did.

Reactions: herdalicious
You may be right, I personally think the two loss difference is the key. I don't doubt that in most years an undefeated MU would not be selected over a one loss AAC or Boise type. Even at that I would not say it is an absolute depending on our out of conference schedules etc. As for 2014, I like our chances undefeated over a two loss Boise St not to mention we would have our best wins over WKU and La Tech at the end of the year and as I said, the committee proved it would move teams over other teams without requiring a loss.

I don't know that we would have gone even if undefeated in 2014 just as you do not know we would not have gone in 2014. That's why i'm not stating my opinion as fact as you did.
I find it odd MU was snubbed, or would have been, considering 2014 had MU playing against the most teams with a bowl eligible record I think it had ever played against.

Yes, osu jumped BOTH Baylor and TCU, despite they having a much stronger claim to a CFP spot. People were pissed and it basically showed the CFP would reward money over achievement...something we all already know, but just dislike admitting so.

2014 was a really fun season other than the WKU game. But at the end of the day MU did not deserve an Access Bowl even if we would have went undefeated.

During the regular season we played zero P5 schools not even a bad one like Purdue or Kansas. We played zero power G5 teams like a Boise or UCF. We played 6 teams that finished below 500 including a 1-11 FCS Rhode Island team. We played 4 teams that were 6-6. So 10 of our 12 games were against G5 or FCS teams That finished 6-6 or worse.
We played 2 regular season games against teams with winning records and the one we lost would have been in the 6-6 category had we taken care of business and won against WKU. Rice finished 7-5 and won their bowl game.

In the championship game La Tech came in with an 8-4 record. That was our one quality non bowl win that year but it was hardly the type of win that propels you ahead of teams that played solid schedules for the Access Bowl.

With the schedule we had this year pre Covid had we run the table I think we would have been a lock to go to the Access Bowl provided nobody from the AAC ran the table.

Heck, now that the Mountain West has decided to play, mostly Conference games only, that presents a possible intriguing scenario. Say Boise wins the Conference and is unbeaten at 6-0 or 7-0. Ditto for MU, winning CUSA East and the title game and ending up 9-0 or 10-0.

Both teams should be ranked. Note that Boise is also scheduled to play a game with currently ranked BYU this season. Wouldn't this present an attractive bowl match up for ESPN to show and promote? Would certainly be, IMO, a match up in which both HERD players and HERD fans would have great interest and need NO extra incentive!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT