ADVERTISEMENT

More recent FBI news...

KyMUfan

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2020
This time in the mainstream news for those dismissing news from "right wing" sources...

"The privacy invasion was vast when FBI agents drilled and pried their way into 1,400 safe-deposit boxes at the U.S. Private Vaults store in Beverly Hills."

"Eighteen months later, newly unsealed court documents show that the FBI and U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles got their warrant for that raid by misleading the judge who approved it."

"They omitted from their warrant request a central part of the FBI’s plan: Permanent confiscation of everything inside every box containing at least $5,000 in cash or goods, a senior FBI agent recently testified."

"The U.S. attorney’s office has tried to block public disclosure of court papers that laid bare the government’s deception, but a judge rejected its request to keep them under seal."

"The only way the FBI could seize the racks of boxes would be to take possession of the contents too. Any judge reviewing the warrant request would recognize a threat to the rights of what turned out to be about 700 customers who had locked away some of their most private and valuable belongings."

"Box holders would liken the raid to police barging into a building’s 700 apartments and taking every tenant’s possessions when they have evidence of wrongdoing by nobody but the landlord."

"The 4th Amendment protects people against “unreasonable searches and seizures.” It requires the government to get a warrant by showing in a sworn statement that it has probable cause to believe that a particular place needs to be searched and describing specific people or things to be seized."

Let’s see if anything comes of it. My guess is a couple fbi agents will be reassigned and nothing else

Reactions: KyMUfan
Years ago, I read an article that advised people to never use a safety deposit box to store valuables because it was not safe from the government. At the time, I laughed. I’m not laughing anymore.

Years ago, I read an article that advised people to never use a safety deposit box to store valuables because it was not safe from the government. At the time, I laughed. I’m not laughing anymore.

And years ago I believed the FBI was a guardian of law, order and the American Way... What changed??? ☹️😡

And years ago I believed the FBI was a guardian of law, order and the American Way... What changed??? ☹️😡
Dear god, when was that!?
Let’s see if anything comes of it. My guess is a couple fbi agents will be reassigned and nothing else
Yes, accountability at all levels of law enforcement is 0 unless there are riots. Then it’s occasionally there. And not even for the worst of the worst, who get away with it for years because they all cover for each other.

Yes, accountability at all levels of law enforcement is 0 unless there are riots. Then it’s occasionally there. And not even for the worst of the worst, who get away with it for years because they all cover for each other.
Yep those rioters from summer of 2020 got off easy

The world didn't begin when you were born...

Treasury Agent Eliot Ness

images

And that great American Jimmy Stewart

images

And then in color...

The_F_B_I_TV_Series-758058332-large.jpg

The world didn't begin when you were born...

Treasury Agent Eliot Ness

images

And that great American Jimmy Stewart

images

And then in color...

The_F_B_I_TV_Series-758058332-large.jpg
I’m very confused, or you are. Two of those were fictional and the other wasn’t in the FBI. Unless you’re saying that’s why you believed that and that you now understand you were misled and the FBI has always been slimy.

I’m very confused, or you are. Two of those were fictional and the other wasn’t in the FBI. Unless you’re saying that’s why you believed that and that you now understand you were misled and the FBI has always been slimy.

I was sure to reference the fact that Eliot Ness was a Treasury Agent instead of an FBI because I was certain someone would bring that up.

I'm not confused. You may be as these movies and shows weren't contemporary to your youth so you might not be able to understand the mindset behind them.

The law, order and American Way image was what was projected through these movies and shows. It wasn't until I was in college that I learned of J. Edgar Hoover's possible relationship with Clyde Tolson...

As to what has changed? Possibly it was a loss of innocence though I think our nation, including the FBI, has changed as well.

I was sure to reference the fact that Eliot Ness was a Treasury Agent instead of an FBI because I was certain someone would bring that up.

I'm not confused. You may be as these movies and shows weren't contemporary to your youth so you might not be able to understand the mindset behind them.

The law, order and American Way image was what was projected through these movies and shows. It wasn't until I was in college that I learned of J. Edgar Hoover's possible relationship with Clyde Tolson...

As to what has changed? Possibly it was a loss of innocence though I think our nation, including the FBI, has changed as well.
There are plenty of authority boot licking shows and movies out now. There’s just also a lot more information about all the awful things going on too. We got a look into the sausage factory and didn’t like what we saw.

I don’t know that our problems with the FBI, foreign and domestic, have change appreciably since, say, WWII. They were very active suppressing the civil rights movement, and you can say their war on communism had a worthy opponent, but the ways they fought it go pretty fiercely against what people generally think it means to be an American.

Trump is probably the furthest we’ve had from the global world police groupthink that we’ve had in government, and in large part the general population as well, since then. And even he wasn’t that far off from it. That’s a compliment, before you make the assumption I’m not capable of saying anything nice about him.

I don’t know that our problems with the FBI, foreign and domestic, have change appreciably since, say, WWII. They were very active suppressing the civil rights movement, and you can say their war on communism had a worthy opponent, but the ways they fought it go pretty fiercely against what people generally think it means to be an American.

As I earlier said part of this is tied to the loss of innocence and you, as well as the rest of us, have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

However you mentioned that our problems with the FBI might not have changed since WWII. Everything has changed since WWII as has the FBI. Society in general has become much coarser. Technology has driven a lot of this change. I'll just list a few things off the top of my head. Remember this may be more of an age difference than a right-left difference.

1940s and prior - TV wasn't widespread and people got their news from filtered sources - newspapers, magazines and radio.

1950s and 1960s - TV was becoming more widespread, population was shifting from more rural to more urban, and from more urban to suburban. The Big 3 dominated TV and news was still filtered. One needs only to reflect upon the filtered coverage of Camelot and LBJ for an example.

1970s - TV started becoming the "Boob Tube" that many had feared it would become. Popular shows shifted from rural and traditional settings to more gritty and urban ones. Watergate changed the way media covered politics. Cable TV broke the BIG 3's monopoly on how news was reported (the internet later did much the same).

And I could go on. One could make an argument that people born from say 1930 - 1975 growing up really hadn't changed much however from that time on the changes have been drastic.

Let's look at a couple of these changes:

Alcohol and drugs: much of America was still "dry" into the 1970s and beyond. Alcohol was the only "drug" of choice for most youth. Remember the "it won't make me go schizo" scene from Animal House. Unlike the OD deaths of today, deaths from alcohol were primarily limited to drunk driving.

The FBI grew from a relatively small investigative arm of the US government that primarily employed lawyers and accountants in suits to a 35k large arm that has increasingly become more militaristic in its training, appearance and actions. Since the early 1990s this militaristic approach was manifested by the Vicki Ruby shooting, the assault on the Branch Davidian compound and the images of federal agents taking Elian Gonzalez gave rise to the "jack-booted" thug image of the FBI.

So yeah, I think the FBI has changed as well as their image in the eyes of many. It has always concerned itself with what it considered to be the "subversives" in society. It appears that it now it considers those subversives to not be sexual "deviants" and communists (the FBI had extensive files on both) but rather concerned parents at PTO meetings and an entire political movement (read 70 million voters)...

Wonder how many things like gold bars and other untraceable items were never inventoried?

Oh to have been the lawyer who had to go come up with how digging through everyone’s safe deposit box with no warrant wasn’t a search…

All the pictures in the video and article are of ancient gold coins. If the actual coins were ancients then it’s not going to be easy to move them. Individual ancients, especially golds, are often individually identifiable by photograph. Which means, tragically, they were likely melted down.

But if they were bought as a precious metal investment I greatly doubt they were ancients and it’s probably just the only “gold coin” stock video they had.

ADVERTISEMENT