ADVERTISEMENT

Most disliked player on a team Marshall has faced

Murray Arnold was the head prior to Mack McCarthy. Both had good teams.

Arnold moved "up" to WKU when he left UTC. That is some perspective for where we've been slowly but surely moving up in the world of college athletics.

Arnold moved "up" to WKU when he left UTC. That is some perspective for where we've been slowly but surely moving up in the world of college athletics.
This could get interesting 😄

Football - Roethlisberger and/or the entire little Miami team.

Basketball - Gay Elmore but should get a pardon now, Jonathan Moore from Furman or UofL's Darrell "Sucker Punch" Griffith.

Wow Jonathan Moore, good call!

I was thinking it was 1988 wasn’t it ?
during the post game hand shake some of the North Texas guys skipped it and ran off the field early, then at the visiting team locker entrance a guy in a North Texas kelly green sweater was consoling a player, the Herd fans were razing them and someone threw a cup of chew spit and hit the guy in the kelly green sweater right in the chest, spit and chew all over him, about the same time the fight in the hand shake line broke out at the 50 yard line , the North Texas players then ran back to the fifty and joined the fight, crazy times at Fairfield Stadium

Wow Jonathan Moore, good call!
I remember the clear-outs for him during TWO Southern Conference Championship games and there was nothing the Herd could do to stop him either time. He brought his A game to tournament time. At 6-8 with ball-handling skills he was an offensive force on the court.

Nothing confrontational or bad sportsmanship - I just hated to see the ball in his hands.

Murray Arnold was the head prior to Mack McCarthy. Both had good teams.
The rivalry was intense when Mack M. was the Mocs head man; believe it was during some of Huck's tenure with the HERD. Both programs had a grudging respect for each other. Believe there was just a bit more "enmity" between the two schools during Arnold's time there. Huntington press and media like to refer to him as "Murray the A"! He was a little more intense and serious minded, and less "likeable", than Mack, IIRC.

Reactions: KyMUfan
I just remember "Stitch Moore" as being a damn good player that was a load of trouble for us when we played
Stitch was one of their leaders when they beat the HERD under Bob Zuffelato down in the Roanoke, VA, Civic Center. Attended that whole tournament. Stitch wore a white head band; 6'8", lean and athletic, and could jump out of the gym. However, the Purple People eaters also had another smooth player, a 6'4" guard named Daniels, perhaps Mel. Believe it was the same tourney when we beat VMI in an earlier game before a packed house, almost 10,000. The Keydets were really good in those days; had a star guard named Carter who played for the Lakers a while. SO Con days in basketball during those times the Herd was involved were some of the best MU fans have ever had, especially around tournament time!!

The rivalry was intense when Mack M. was the Mocs head man; believe it was during some of Huck's tenure with the HERD. Both programs had a grudging respect for each other. Believe there was just a bit more "enmity" between the two schools during Arnold's time there. Huntington press and media like to refer to him as "Murray the A"! He was a little more intense and serious minded, and less "likeable", than Mack, IIRC.
Mack was a likeable adversary. Tennessee would have gotten an excellent coach had they chosen to hire him away from UTC.

I had forgotten about Murray the A 👍😄

The game I referenced earlier was when Huck was here, maybe his first year or two.

Stitch was one of their leaders when they beat the HERD under Bob Zuffelato down in the Roanoke, VA, Civic Center. Attended that whole tournament. Stitch wore a white head band; 6'8", lean and athletic, and could jump out of the gym. However, the Purple People eaters also had another smooth player, a 6'4" guard named Daniels, perhaps Mel. Believe it was the same tourney when we beat VMI in an earlier game before a packed house, almost 10,000. The Keydets were really good in those days; had a star guard named Carter who played for the Lakers a while. SO Con days in basketball during those times the Herd was involved were some of the best MU fans have ever had, especially around tournament time!!
Mel Daniels, boy that's a name I wouldn't have come up with but remember now. I do remember the headband and I also remember Huck's Bucks. Fun times indeed!

Reactions: oldeherd
Keith "Mister" Jennings was always a thorn in our side. Giddy Potts as well.

Rompza is the leader by a WIDE margin for me.

ETSU had some good teams and Les Robinson hated our guts.
Yea, and I believe Mr. Jennings played with another All Time ETSU great, a player from Charleston, WV, Greg Dennis, who was about 6'10" or so. MU missed the boat on him, but the problem was after ETSU recruited him hard and landed him, he had a growth spurt and by the time he got to ETSU he was around 6'9" or 10.

Similar situation happened when Marshall landed Hassan Whiteside. I remember that Bob Huggins stated that when his staff looked at Whiteside he was about 6'5" or so. But when MU landed him not that long after he was already around 6'10

Talking about when we were in the Southern Conference, Murray Arnold was very easy to dislike, the player I couldn't stand was Willie White!! he was cocky and always had great games against us to make it worse.

Interesting that a lot of the basketball responses come from the Southern Conference days. It was a fun time to be a MU basketball fan!

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Interesting that a lot of the basketball responses come from the Southern Conference days. It was a fun time to be a MU basketball fan!
I remember Davidson had some really good teams. They had the guy Ace Tanner that could jump like no tomorrow and that good guard, can't remember his name.

After posting this thread five days back, I often wonder how it would have played out had I gone with most hated Herd player of all time. Many good choices, but I won't name any due to the 100% chance that one may be an active poster on this site, and I also don't want my thread to be dick chopped.

After posting this thread five days back, I often wonder how it would have played out had I gone with most hated Herd player of all time. Many good choices, but I won't name any due to the 100% chance that one may be an active poster on this site, and I also don't want my thread to be dick chopped.
Haha! That’s hilarious! Including the Green-White game would certainly add a twist on here.

from the old UTC days there was a wide body player named Oden and lean point guard Nick Morken. Furman had a QB named Bonaventure that was a smug ass.

Was never fond of the UAB coach, Mike Davis I think. I thought he was very arrogant when they came here. On the other hand, I loved Charlie Coles. Always had a good time sharing banter and jabs with him :)

I believe Charlie had some health issues that finally forced him to leave coaching. Believe it was a heart condition, but not sure. Wonder if he is still with us. A likeable opposing coach, if such a thing is possible, for sure!!

I believe Charlie had some health issues that finally forced him to leave coaching. Believe it was a heart condition, but not sure. Wonder if he is still with us. A likeable opposing coach, if such a thing is possible, for sure!!
He died several years ago.

Was never fond of the UAB coach, Mike Davis I think. I thought he was very arrogant when they came here. On the other hand, I loved Charlie Coles. Always had a good time sharing banter and jabs with him :)
Davis is actually a good guy. I've always felt kind of bad for him, he was put in a hell of a spot at Indiana, after firing RMK even Jesus Christ himself could not have done enough to make the fans happy.

That Jan. 30, 1978 game against UTC was the Bunny Gibson 50 point game. The next game he had 33 against Louisville at the Field House.

Believe some of those heated battles with UTC in that era is when they had While and one of the HERD stars was local product, David Wade, from Huntington. They went at it tooth and nail, IIRC!

Reactions: KyMUfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT