ADVERTISEMENT

MU vs wvu on Sunday....

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
Backdrop - I just turned 60. Growing up in Htgn in the 60’s, there was zero coverage/exposure to the beautiful game. Now it is the most popular participation sport in the U.S. I watched the championship match last Sunday. Very interesting, even though I have trouble with strategy & terminology. Can someone compare the achievement of this years team to other national tournaments we have qualified for? Beat um up, give um hell, Herd!

I would say this is a very good accomplishment for the soccer team. A win against wvu would put them in the round of 16. I think that would be a great accomplishment for any of our sports team. Anyway you look at it...good accomplishment for this team. Hope they can win a few more!

This is a major accomplishment. Very much like DD and the B’ball team a few years ago.

Considering the direction the program was headed and this being Grassie’s second year, pretty impressive.

Like our first MAC title. Very new to us as a fan base. Jmo

Reactions: Tim_N_Montana
The biggest difference in this and other accomplishments such as the basketballs team NCAA win a couple of years ago is that Marshall had exactly .000000000001% of a chance of going on and winning the NCAA tournament.

With our soccer team this isn’t just winning the conference and getting in the NCAA tournament as a reward, Marshall is someone that actually has a shot to win it. That’s crazy! Before all the soccer experts chastise next. I realize that it’s not likely but if Marshall were to win it , it wouldn’t be the shocker of the century like if we won the basketball tournament.

The biggest difference in this and other accomplishments such as the basketballs team NCAA win a couple of years ago is that Marshall had exactly .000000000001% of a chance of going on and winning the NCAA tournament.

With our soccer team this isn’t just winning the conference and getting in the NCAA tournament as a reward, Marshall is someone that actually has a shot to win it. That’s crazy! Before all the soccer experts chastise next. I realize that it’s not likely but if Marshall were to win it , it wouldn’t be the shocker of the century like if we won the basketball tournament.

It would be equaling shocking to fans who follow college soccer closely. The difference is the bb tournament is followed by almost all sport fans while no one cares about who wins the College Cup except soccer fans of teams involved along with soccer die hards.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I’m sorry Duke it wouldn’t be close to the upset of Marshall winning the NCAA basketball tournament and our soccer team winning the national championship. Our soccer team is nationally ranked and have beaten top 25 teams. I’m not saying that there is a great chance but it wouldn’t be a miracle like if we win the basketball tournament.

Now it is the most popular participation sport in the U.S.!

False. Why do so many people on this board constantly post false information? It’s ok to not know the answer to something. Stop fabricating shit.

Soccer will soon surpass baseball in popularity.

You’re high. Soccer participation among youth has substantially dropped over the past six years. Baseball participation among youth has skyrocketed over that same timeframe.

The numbers for both television and ticket sales aren’t even close.

I’m sorry Duke it wouldn’t be close to the upset of Marshall winning the NCAA basketball tournament and our soccer team winning the national championship. Our soccer team is nationally ranked and have beaten top 25 teams. I’m not saying that there is a great chance but it wouldn’t be a miracle like if we win the basketball tournament.

Texas Western was highly ranked the entire season with a couple of notable wins. It shocked the sporting world when they advanced to the championship game and defeated Ky in the ‘66 Final Four
Loyola of Chicago was highly ranked the entire season with a couple of notable wins. It shocked the sporting world when they advanced to the championship game and defeated two time defending champion Cincinnati in the ‘63 Final Four.
The average sports fan, and soccer fans, have no idea who Marshall has played or defeated and will be surprised if they beat wv much less the whole shebang.

Texas Western was highly ranked the entire season with a couple of notable wins. It shocked the sporting world when they advanced to the championship game and defeated Ky in the ‘66 Final Four
Loyola of Chicago was highly ranked the entire season with a couple of notable wins. It shocked the sporting world when they advanced to the championship game and defeated two time defending champion Cincinnati in the ‘63 Final Four.
The average sports fan, and soccer fans, have no idea who Marshall has played or defeated and will be surprised if they beat wv much less the whole shebang.

I don't think Texas Western shocked the world by winning. A major part of their notoriety was they had an all black starting lineup.
They went 28-1 and since KY had been the face of NCAA basketball at the time, it may have appeared to be an upset, but that Texas Western team was very, very good.

MU beating wvu wouldn't be surprising, wvu got the automatic bid by winning the MAC and had lost like 8 games during the season.

So, on a more positive note: Go Herd! Atmosphere should be eclectic......

:D:D:D

diverse-crowd.jpg

Soccer will soon surpass baseball in popularity.

False

Soccer(and I am not knocking it) is popular because Mommy and Daddy MinVan can take Little Johnny when he is 8 to the soccer field and let him kick the ball around a practice and he can even play in the games. Even if he is standing there doing nothing and picking dandelions out of the grass he is on the team and enjoying soccer. Same goes to when he is 10 and he is not getting mowed down by a 68 mph heater fastball from Big Larry who is 12 and has armpit hair and a three o'clock shadow. Striking out 27 times in a row is well, not fun(even though it builds character). He can play soccer and go kick the ball around and be a defender and whatever. Also, he is not out playing football getting lit up by Killer Ray who wants take people's heads of 12 and who is going to go on to play ball in the SEC.

That is why soccer is popular. It is a sport Little Johnny and his Birkenstock wearing mommy and daddy can all participate in and feel good about it.

Go Herd. Beat wvu.

Reactions: johns1124
The Atlanta MLS team has had crowds close to 70k for games. It's hard to see those numbers and say it's not a popular sport.

In any case, who cares about how or why a sport is popular? Marshall has a team that won a conference title, a conference tournament, is in a NCAA tournament, and has a decent shot of going far toward the College Cup. Let's celebrate that and root them on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT