ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA makes changes to Soccer OT play this season.

goherd73

Gold Buffalo
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2007
The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel during a virtual meeting Wednesday approved changes to overtime rules in men's and women's soccer for both the regular season and the postseason, effective for the 2022 season.

For the regular season, overtime has been eliminated, meaning if a game is tied after the regulation 90 minutes, it will end in a tie. Previously, teams played two 10-minute overtime periods in a sudden-victory (golden goal) format, and if neither team scored, the game ended in a tie.

In conference tournaments and NCAA postseason games, the sudden-victory component has been eliminated, and teams will play two 10-minute overtime periods instead. Also, when a substitution is made by the winning team in the last five minutes of the second overtime, the game clock will stop.

If the game remains tied, a penalty-kick shootout will be held to determine the winner.

I’m ok with cutting OT in regular season, but eliminating the golden goal is silly.
Even if that puts it more in line with professional leagues/FIFA, that moment in Cary when Roberts put it in the net will be a bit different when they take the ball back out and start playing again.

I’m ok with cutting OT in regular season, but eliminating the golden goal is silly.
Even if that puts it more in line with professional leagues/FIFA, that moment in Cary when Roberts put it in the net will be a bit different when they take the ball back out and start playing again.
You just need to defend the net, problem solved.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
You just need to defend the net, problem solved.
Or you just win right there. Not like possessions are limited in the sport. Each team has plenty of opportunity to break a tie through regulation. The walk-off is spectacular. A moment of unmatched finality. This would be like baseball playing 3 additional innings if tied after 9, regardless of score in the 10th or 11th.

As I said in another post, some blue blood coach prolly whines when his team got beat on a gplden goal in the NCAA.

Reactions: luckytoes99
This is consistent with the rule in professional and international play. I like it. Keeps the match from ending on a fluke goal or one defensive mistake.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT